Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > SVDs and RomAK IIIs

Old 03-09-2007, 05:28 AM   #1
the eXiLe
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 5154
Default Draganov Recall - Anyone seen this?

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dragunovrecall.html

Just looked at Arkan's thread, great link, but saw this! Anyone had a problem or own one of the guns in question?
Old 03-09-2007, 08:45 AM   #2
engr

AKaholic #: 5155

That's for the 308 only. They add a spring loaded firing pin to the bolt.
engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:44 AM   #3
Berg

AKaholic #: 868

Quote:
Originally Posted by the eXiLe
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dragunovrecall.html

Just looked at Arkan's thread, great link, but saw this! Anyone had a problem or own one of the guns in question?
Yeah this is many years old. I guess you missed out on all the hooplah this caused and the disaster the retrofit that CDNN was doing (does?).
Berg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:04 PM   #4
Accurizer
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 5458

Actually I did see a thread on another board where the ATF is getting in touch with some owners of "regular" PSL's to confiscate them. Apparently the ATF is now thinking the PSL can be too easily made "full auto", especially the ones with Romanian receivers.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:07 PM   #5
Accurizer
Veteran Member

Here it is:

"Last October I purchased a new Romanian PSL direct from Century. They had emailed me that they'd received a very small lot. These were actual Romanian guns, not rebuilds on US receivers.

I just got an urgent email from my FFL, that Century has issued a recall and I must return it ASAP for modification. BATF says it is a machinegun."

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums?a=tpc...4968#948104968
Old 03-09-2007, 07:53 PM   #6
schnitzel

AKaholic #: 7250

can you make that link work or provide more information please!!!!
schnitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:01 PM   #7
Accurizer
Veteran Member

Link works for me. Just go to sigforum.com, Combat Rifles and Shotguns then down to "PSL Just Declared a Machine Gun"

Everyone on the thread laughed it off, but apparently there is a recall.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:01 PM   #8
fraxxian

AKaholic #: 3845

so whats the issue with these rifles, are they going full auto because of a defective part, or do they have an evil third hole?
fraxxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:13 PM   #9
schnitzel

wow going be some angry people out there if this is true. has anyone who owns one on this board been contacted?
Old 03-09-2007, 08:32 PM   #10
engr

I believe the issue is that the "third hole" was welded up in the receiver and the ATF has stated that a full auto receiver is always a fully auto receiver and therefore these are machine guns. My problem with that is the the PSL is not a FA weapon, and the third hole was used as a interlock that insures that the bolt is closed prior to permitting the hammer to drop. This device is not permited because it was deemed to easy to turn the PSL into a FA weapon.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:14 PM   #11
fraxxian

AKaholic #: 3845

"it was deemed to easy to turn the PSL into a FA weapon."

sounds like that is the issue right there, I have never heard of a full auto sniper/marksman rifle, but then again the ATF have all day to sit around and make up that sort of BS
fraxxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 01:08 AM   #12
schnitzel

how do you appeal that BS
Old 03-10-2007, 08:30 AM   #13
Accurizer
Veteran Member

how do you appeal that BS

Ha! hahaha, sorry but we're talking about the BATF. As fraxxian said, these are government bureaucrats. And this bureaucracy is a cross between the IRS who's motto is "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" and a cop who gets promotions and raises based on how many tickets he can write.

The BATF seeks out cases like this to increase their "workload" so they can show Congress they need higher pay, better offices, more "toys" [SWAT gear, new full-auto machine guns, of course 'LEO Only'] and more ability to trample your Constitutional rights without a court order.

Appeal? You appeal to them in the same way G. Gordon Liddy advised.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:37 AM   #14
schnitzel

ouch... well i know you are right, but damn the truth hurts.

So is there actually any danger from this gun firing out of battery our is the BATF only being anal.

It isnt that easy to make this rifle fully auto is it?
Old 03-10-2007, 02:44 PM   #15
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

It must not be a machinegun if Century wants it back.Why would you send an illegal machinegun to Century?If it was an illegal machinegun it would go straight to ATF.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:15 PM   #16
schnitzel

ok comrade Allesennogwat you got me confused now. were you joking or are you serious. if so how do you find out what the hell is actually going on?
Old 03-10-2007, 09:10 PM   #17
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

If it's a machinegun Century wouldn't want it back.What would they do with it?That would go straight to the ATF.I think it's more of a parts count issue or some evil feature that is not importable.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:45 PM   #18
Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by allesennogwat
If it's a machinegun Century wouldn't want it back.What would they do with it?That would go straight to the ATF.I think it's more of a parts count issue or some evil feature that is not importable.
No that's not it. It's a "third hole" issue. Remember the Zastava M76 debacle? Those were mailed back too. http://akforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20332
Old 03-10-2007, 10:22 PM   #19
schnitzel

well crap... i dont think its right though. WHy are we being dinged for that? it would take work to make the rifle FA and it was never designed for that in the first place. So why are we over regulated for something that can be done to any firearm.... with enough work and dremeling anything can be made FA. What keeps this from being spread to the ar and the ak's that most of us own? Does anyone else see a slippery slope issue here? Its all about intent and we have laws regulating what is illegal already. Who would be the right person to contact to let my views known?... i know they arent worth much but i want to say my 2 cents. I cant see myself lying down and digesting this without expressing my opinion.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:10 AM   #20
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg
No that's not it. It's a "third hole" issue. Remember the Zastava M76 debacle? Those were mailed back too. http://akforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20332

And what would Century do about it?If the receivers are illegal they would say give them to the ATF like the others.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:24 AM   #21
reserpinelimbic

AKaholic #: 6422

JOIN THE CROWD GETLEMEN. THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE ALREADY RECIEVED YOUR LETTERS AND THOSE OF YOU WHO WILL SHORTLY ARE NOW HONORARY MEMBERS OF THE YUGOSLAVIAN M-76 , WE GOT BOINKED BY THE ATF CLUB.
reserpinelimbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 02:04 PM   #22
schnitzel

res(something) what exactly did you letter say? what options do they give you? do you have to send the rifle back to atf or century? are they going to destroy our guns, rebuild them with "correct" recievers, or just refund us our money? also anyone know how long this takes?
Old 03-11-2007, 02:12 PM   #23
Berg

Quote:
And what would Century do about it?If the receivers are illegal they would say give them to the ATF like the others.
Century imports hundreds of fully automatic rifles from other countries all the time. They come in as complete weapons which Century then cuts up to BATF specs and rebuilds them on new receivers.

They will do the same with the PSL's. They cut them up and either sell the remaining parts as kits or rebuilds them on compliant receivers and sells them as complete rifles.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:19 PM   #24
TattooedChad

AKaholic #: 7508
Default man i guess i lucked out

I bought an SSG-97 in 54r because I could'nt find a PSL I guess I did alright in the long run. The only thing i have to say about the Janet Reno army is their time will come
TattooedChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:57 PM   #25
schnitzel

but what will happen with ours.... do we get new rifles... if so how do we make sure we get an as good product that we already have.... or can we get our money back. How did it go with the other rifles that werer confiscated? im just so upset about this... it makes no sense to me
Old 03-11-2007, 07:03 PM   #26
Accurizer
Veteran Member

Quote:
It must not be a machinegun if Century wants it back.Why would you send an illegal machinegun to Century?If it was an illegal machinegun it would go straight to ATF.
Wrong. Years ago I bought a CZ-25 kit. This was a "demilled" kit that used to be a small maching gun similar to an Uzi. The receiver was cut in several places and on top of that, there was a large chunk missing out of what was left of the receiver pieces.

At the time I was just curious how this gun worked, it was cheap so I bought it. I thought perhaps I could somehow make it semi. I also had 500 rounds of CZ ammo from a CZ-75 pisto I had a the time. When it arrived, there was just too much involved so I sold it at a gun show.

Now, 5 years later, I get a registered, return-receipt letter from the ATF saying; "Send all parts back, except the barrel and bolt." If you don't, we'll contact you. If you no longer have it, here is a number to call to give us all your contact information and the ATF will be in touch.

NO mention of refund of money not to mention an apology that they changed their minds. Calling the vendor, he said he'd bought the company two years ago and is no longer liable.

Result: ATF changed their minds. What they once deemed legal, oops, is now illegal and you're buns up and kneeling. Send it back in. There is a possibility Century 'might' swap out receivers at no charge. You hope. And you also hope Century's gunsmiths doing the swap knows what he's doing.

Yes, our government at work. And YOU pay.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:10 PM   #27
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accurizer
Wrong. Years ago I bought a CZ-25 kit. This was a "demilled" kit that used to be a small maching gun similar to an Uzi. The receiver was cut in several places and on top of that, there was a large chunk missing out of what was left of the receiver pieces.

At the time I was just curious how this gun worked, it was cheap so I bought it. I thought perhaps I could somehow make it semi. I also had 500 rounds of CZ ammo from a CZ-75 pisto I had a the time. When it arrived, there was just too much involved so I sold it at a gun show.

Now, 5 years later, I get a registered, return-receipt letter from the ATF saying; "Send all parts back, except the barrel and bolt." If you don't, we'll contact you. If you no longer have it, here is a number to call to give us all your contact information and the ATF will be in touch.

NO mention of refund of money not to mention an apology that they changed their minds. Calling the vendor, he said he'd bought the company two years ago and is no longer liable.

Result: ATF changed their minds. What they once deemed legal, oops, is now illegal and you're buns up and kneeling. Send it back in. There is a possibility Century 'might' swap out receivers at no charge. You hope. And you also hope Century's gunsmiths doing the swap knows what he's doing.

Yes, our government at work. And YOU pay.
That's exactly what I'm talking about.If it's illegal it goes to ATF.Not back to Century !!! I had a Chinese AK that had the holes and ATF wanted it.Not the importer.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:12 PM   #28
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

The PPSH trunnions had the same thing.Letter from importer to send to ATF.Not a letter from ATF though.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:19 PM   #29
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

The Chinese put rivets in the holes.That was funny.Good thing they were cheap.No refund.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:30 PM   #30
schnitzel

so you are saying that it might turn out that the owners of these rifles will have them confiscated and have no recourse????????!!!! Why am i not seeing any information on the atf or the century website? this is such crap
Old 03-12-2007, 08:44 AM   #31
WolfsburgBob
2 down, ... and 1 to go!

AKaholic #: 16

Just more fine examples of someone (vendor) selling a FIREARM RELATED product that has A NO IDEA what they are doing.

It "helps" to know WTF you are selling.

DUH F'N-UH!
WolfsburgBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:28 AM   #32
engr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akron Armory
Just more fine examples of someone (vendor) selling a FIREARM RELATED product that has A NO IDEA what they are doing.

It "helps" to know WTF you are selling.

DUH F'N-UH!
I remember dealing with Century back in the 80's when they were located in VT. After 20+years or more in the business of handling surplus firearms they should gotten a clue by now.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:37 AM   #33
schnitzel

just got off the phone with century, they claim that the issue is a manufacturers defect. They were very rude and wouldnt tell me what the defect was. Because i wanted to check and see if i didnt have to send it back.... well they couldnt and wouldnt tell me. They dont even have the integrity to tell me why.... what a bunch of cowards. But i was told that they have replacement rifles ready and will ship them within 2 weeks of recieving the "incorrect" rifles. maybe i should call cugir in romania and tell them what century is saying about their rifles
Old 03-12-2007, 03:44 PM   #34
customizedcreationz

AKaholic #: 7215

I just found out today as well about the "recall". My ffl I buy my firearms through told me.

And I am really bummed as its one of the nicest ones I ve seen while I was shopping for it.

He has the letter and I ll see it on wednesday. Me myself am questionable about anything that invovles me sending something and not having something in the first place.

Hell I just love throwing $1000 out the window to see if someone will come give it back to me.
customizedcreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:42 PM   #35
red_metallic

AKaholic #: 6471

The worst part of this is no real information from Century.

Century Arms News

Last edited by red_metallic; 03-12-2007 at 10:41 PM.
red_metallic is offline   Reply With Quote