Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Old 02-27-2007, 12:48 AM   #1
crimsomecraze

AKaholic #: 7552
Default Aluma-Hyde II

Has anyone tried this? Pros/Cons For ten bucks a can it has me interested but if engine paint is just as good I wont waste any time with it.
crimsomecraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:52 AM   #2
jwc0506
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 4865

i have and it looks good! check my 4130 post-my bulgy has it in; semi gloss black. it seems to be pretty good stuff-just DON'T spray it when it's cold!! it globs up bad! i think it's deffinetly better then dupli-color though! it has epeoxy in it-which tends to be tougher and more chemical resistant.
jwc0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:56 AM   #3
crimsomecraze

Thanks, did you have to keep replacing the nozzles I've heard that can be a problem with it?
Old 02-27-2007, 01:51 AM   #4
jwc0506
Curio & Relic

nope! just get a wire brush(small one-like a tooth brush) or get something small like a pin etc... put gogles on incase u spay urself! WEAR A RESPIRATOR TO! i picked up a: air brush-now i need to figure this air brushin out?! i was also wonder how the "header paint is? duplic-color 500? anyone us it?
Old 02-27-2007, 01:54 AM   #5
jwc0506
Curio & Relic

i was wonderin if it's any better then the; dupli color 1200???

crimsoncraze, just be sure you let the paint dry a good 2 solid days before you try to assemble. also take care when installing the parts-then you should be ok.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:51 AM   #6
blackhawk

AKaholic #: 7533

I used a can of stove paint that I had lying around for my wood stove on my first AK. It's dark grey, almost black with a satin finish with very small specks of gold metalic in it. It seems pretty durable too. I've fired probably a thousand rounds through it with great results. Standard cleaning solvents don't seem to bother it.
Although I would be hesitant to let the copper solvent touch it.
blackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:05 PM   #7
The_Weasel

AKaholic #: 3868

I've used Aluma-Hyde II on two builds... holds up well and looks good but takes FOREVER to cure. The suggestion given to me was "spray it and forget about it for a week - don't even touch it". That's just too long for me. I now use Brownells Baking Lacquer and LOVE it. Spray, bake for an hour on the BBQ grill and you're ready to go.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:53 PM   #8
crimsomecraze

I have dupli-color 500 on it now and I'm about to blast it. I am going to try remove most of it first so I can see how well it is when it comes to solvents. I didn't bake it after I put it on just hung it up next to a space heater so I don't think its going to be to tuff.

Aluma-Hyde II is on the way. I got a can of matte black and semi gloss black what looks better? I have heard that the semi gloss can be a little to glossy but can't some 0000 steel wool take the shine off?
Old 02-28-2007, 12:34 AM   #9
jwc0506
Curio & Relic

i would think that fine steel wool would remove some of the glossiness of the semi-gloss black. you might want to try that, or just get the matte black if it's duller. the semi glos looks decent to me. but i kinda think that the matte black mighjt have a better match for my Bulgy kit i built. 2-3 day wai made the paint hard enough to assemble without scratches. but i was being very careful! might help to hold ur reciever with a rag or saran wrap or somethin to prevent any scratches. i pulled it off just being careful though. lots luck and enjoy ur-ALLUMHYDE 2!
Old 02-28-2007, 09:15 AM   #10
sct1886

AKaholic #: 39

I have used a great deal of it. BUY EXTRA SPRAY NOZZLES. They clog up quickly, clean the nozzle with a wire toothbrush afte use. Let the paint dry for TWO WEEKS. Keep it out of closely fitted areas. Bulletproof paint and esay to touch up. I prefer to paint over parkerizing.
sct1886 is online now   Reply With Quote