Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-74s

Notices

Old 01-29-2007, 08:55 PM   #1
levi7.62

AKaholic #: 6816
Default ORF $300 AK74s kits

I just bought my first $300 ORF AK74s kit. I was going to get the $279 referbished kit, but she said all of them are referbed. I was expecting the kit to be in a bit better condition, but, I dont know what to expect from them. The original finish is starting to rust, but not pit, its that dusty dirty rust color that is starting to prevail over the black oxide on the sight block,front trunion, the barrel, and pretty much all metal surfaces, even the feed ramp area. I looked a a rifle I bought from a buddy who had built his on a ORF kit, and it looked like he refinished all the parts I saw that had bad finish, even the feed ramp area. So, Im guessing this is how their $300 kits are. THe handguards were scratched up and not usable at all, and the bayonet number did not match. Does all of this sound like a normal thing for a $300 ORF kit? I guess from the pics, i expected better, its not drastic, it'll look new with a finish and new hg's, but Id just like to see what you guys have to say-Thanks
levi7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:23 PM   #2
Azure

AKaholic #: 7309

I have a 299$ ORF Bulgy kit (fixed stock) that is really beautiful. My bayo dosent match either, but the finish on mine is really nice and the handguards are in good shape (not perfect but certainly useable)
As an afterthought i wish the the fixed kits had the original buttstock, mine is a US made one, its new and looks good though.
Is yours the Folding type or the fixed stock? I have a folder and an RPK-74 kit on the way as we speak, if a folder ill let you know how mine looks tomorrow (when the tracking # says i will get it) if you like.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:39 PM   #3
16r40
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 184

damn, prices on those have shot way up......I bought 2 brand new never fired bulgarian kit for 129 bucks from K-var 4 or so years back..........nice to know my investement has gone up faster then the NASDAQ

General William Tecumseh Sherman
16r40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:06 AM   #4
Petro
((10)) Troll Brigade Ass Leder

AKaholic #: 6097

I'd say it's the Sidefolder.
I bought one of the New Black polymer kits last summer, and it was new, as claimed. (after they made up with sendign me a non newkit of course).
Petro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:42 AM   #5
resting

AKaholic #: 5707

Had same problem with a "new" plum kit. First one I received was at the lower end of the service grade. Called them and they sent me a prepaid mailing label to return it and sent me out a really nice NEW kit. They seem to want to do right, I just don't know who sorts, grades and boxes their kits for them.
resting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:09 PM   #6
jwc0506
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 4865

Quote:
Originally Posted by levi7.62
I just bought my first $300 ORF AK74s kit. I was going to get the $279 referbished kit, but she said all of them are referbed. I was expecting the kit to be in a bit better condition, but, I dont know what to expect from them. The original finish is starting to rust, but not pit, its that dusty dirty rust color that is starting to prevail over the black oxide on the sight block,front trunion, the barrel, and pretty much all metal surfaces, even the feed ramp area. I looked a a rifle I bought from a buddy who had built his on a ORF kit, and it looked like he refinished all the parts I saw that had bad finish, even the feed ramp area. So, Im guessing this is how their $300 kits are. THe handguards were scratched up and not usable at all, and the bayonet number did not match. Does all of this sound like a normal thing for a $300 ORF kit? I guess from the pics, i expected better, its not drastic, it'll look new with a finish and new hg's, but Id just like to see what you guys have to say-Thanks
i think their $299 sf-is that what you had ordered? that kit i believe is-used? the wood74 kit(painted) is new, the polymer fixed stock kits where new or just test fired i think? cause mine was-brand new, maybe 20 rds through if not less? if you are not satisfied why don't you contact them via e-mail and trade it for the wooden kit? then later u can upgrade with a us made polymer stock set? just an idea. but if u like ur kit-keep it, a little tlc and naval jelly ought to remove ur rust. what you do is: sand blast, sabd parts etc.., paint sum naval jelly on-allow it to do it's thing..... sand lightly the rust off, maybe even a pad of steel wool, or a light bristled painters wire brush will help u rid the kit of rust. i do this mainly on 1 romy kit which had a smidgeon of rust on it. the wire brush i use looks about the size of a tooth brush-works great to! damn that's too bad about the kit.... and good luck on it. no it doesn't sound noarmal to me about ur kit... but i have not bougfht a sf used from them either! it may be normal?? anyone else know?

Last edited by jwc0506; 01-30-2007 at 07:29 PM.
jwc0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:34 PM   #7
jwc0506
Curio & Relic

i would send it back myself, that doesn't sound good... i don' thinkt for $300 you should have more than a smidgeon of rust. maybe they sent you a bummer kit by accident? if ur not satisfied i would contact them and tell them ur not satisfied if you don't like the kit. i had luck with the -polymer kit, but those have dissapeard about a month ago i think? many a guy has ordered the wooden 74 and have had good cleaner cond kits. maybe you should get credit and apply ur $ on a woodie? and maybe have them toss in a mag or?
Old 01-30-2007, 09:12 PM   #8
Azure

My ORF sidefolder and RPK came today. The RPK is beautiful, they said "used" but that use must have been gentle. The sidefolder was 279 (?) mine was the arsenal refinished one, came with 4 mags and all the goodies. The kit is good, not perfect by any means. The handguards are ok, but i will look for another set, they are beat up. The finish is paint, and thick paint at that. Excellent bore though, I think the kit is worth what i paid (and beggars cannot be choosers) but it definately isnt as nice as the fixed stock one or the RPK.

Mine have no rust tho...i would call them i bet they will make it right.

Last edited by Azure; 01-30-2007 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:09 PM   #9
jwc0506
Curio & Relic

well orf is pretty decent with customer support, atleast they where to me. if he doesn't like what he got-he should get an exchange. i myself if i paid $300 for kitsakes! i would want some not too rusty. is it surface rust, or deep imbedded rust levi7.62?
Old 01-30-2007, 10:58 PM   #10
levi7.62

it is only surface rust, only "dirty", but the handguards were literally Scratched into by some bulgarian kid (hopefully). I guess Im not happy cuz they made it seem like the kit was "referbished". And CUZ THE PIC DESCRIBING THE KIT IS EXCELLENT. based on the replies, im calling tommorrow. Im sure they will make it right, I just wish I didnt have to wait some more. Oh well. Also, the first time I saw the kit( its a side folder) I was surprised to see how small the side folder is! I thought it was for a bulgy krink and they put it in by accident at first, until I compared it with a fixed stock, and it was the same size. Anyhow, I REALLY hope they send me a not lightly rusted kit with not scratched on HG's. Cuz Really, I thought about it, and the whole point of a $300 kit is BEING ABLE TO USE the handguards.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:03 PM   #11
levi7.62

And, by a count, what would settle it is: How many people buying the $300 ORF kits have had to replace HG's, and had light rust on their rifle? If the mahority say, "what the hell are you talking about" Then they sent me the wrong kit by accident.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:24 AM   #12
jwc0506
Curio & Relic

to be safe i would-switch kits Bro! Get their blonde bulgy 74 kit! trust me these are sweet! have you seen the one i am buildin?! i think i'd go that routem apply the remainder to 4 pak of mags maybe? shine the painted wood kit-cause you'll come to realize how nice the mix n match wood blonde kits are. good luck on it.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:26 AM   #13
jwc0506
Curio & Relic

i think the sf kits-are probably all usedm so you might not get what you really want. i just saw they have a new sf for $429, but not sure how much you want to spend? reason i recommend the mix n match kits. but man ! these mix n match colored blonde wood kits rock!

if you prefer a polymer stock set, did you ask if they have any left on the fixed stock kits? cause what some guys are doin is: they order a plastic sf stock fromk-var and-poof! you now have a sf! lol

question? how's the bore? did you happen to check the rifling, how's the cond of the bolt face? a lot of wear, little wear? if it's only a little surface rust-you might want to keep it. cause a little tlc, new polymer us made stock set and-workmanship on ur part could possibly clean it up. but not seeing a pic of it i can't really tell you my honest opinion as to what you should do? but since ur already gonna call-it sounds like you have it under control.

Last edited by jwc0506; 01-31-2007 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:55 PM   #14
levi7.62

Well. Ive been thinkin... From what azure said, he said he got a 279 dollar AK74 referbed SF kit, and his had a coat of paint on it, thick paint? which doesnt sound good but its better than light rust, anyhow, I think that proves that they sent me the wrong kit. I must have gotten a "bummer" kit. I paid $300, and mine was NOT referbed. Anyhow, I planned on ordering some beautifully finished reddish wood HGs to put on it, but use the SF stock they gave me, cuz there is NO WAY id get a new one of those, thing as how they are so expensive, plus the stock is in great cond. anyhow, maybe I could trade it for a wood kit, but have them throw in the side folder stock, and just pay $300, so its like all im doin is trading for the wood hgs! AND ARENT THE WOOD kits new! Like late 1990's! That settles it! Thats what I'll do, and then I wont have to buy HGs from tantal or from russia. Anyhow, Im DEFINATELY exchanging no matter, cuz they must have sent me the wrong one. Its not a big deal though, cuz they are great, they are super nice.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:34 PM   #15
Azure

Yeah, mine has thick black paint all over it, and not a very even coat at that, but definately isnt rusty at all. It was 279 and came with 4 mags and the pouch and all that, the bore is excellent, i did ask the lady that i spoke to (i feel bad i cannot remember her name, she was so helpful!) to select good bores for me, as paint and SLIGHT rust can be refinished, the bore is of utmost importance to me. My folder was definately used, the PG is nice the handguards, eh...useable but have some nicks and scratches. Ill probably replace them. Everything, mags included, covered in a slimy layer of cosmoline. All in all ive bought 3 kits from ORF, this was the worst of the 3 (other 2 were outstanding) and i have no complaints. Let us know what you exchange it for, im sure they will help you!
Old 02-01-2007, 06:51 PM   #16
levi7.62

Ok, I will keep you posted big money. ( isnt that funny as hell) never mind my turrets....., I was thinking of trading for one of the 229 wood kits, but keeping the folding stock, as thats what I was gonna do, put wood hg's on. Plus those kits are NEW. Do You think that'll fly?, youve dealt with orf a couple times, what do ya say?
Old 02-01-2007, 07:22 PM   #17
Azure

I imagine if you return it they will want the whole thing back, BUT you still might wanna go with that wood kit and then pick up a SF stock from the marketplace or even ask them, i bet they have some to sell seperate. I wanted all my kits to be plastic stocked, so i havent got a wood one (yet) but JWC sure says good things about the wood kits. I have asked them to hold kits for me (they held the RPK i bought until i got my tax return, she says they have 5 RPK kits left!) and are holding an AKSU for me as we speak. The nice lady (i feel awful that i cant remember her name) even hand picked mine for good bores. Just ask, i bet whatever you want, they will have. Also dont hesitate to try GunPartsGuy over on the FalFiles, ive dealt with him also, incredible guy. He may well have the folder you seek if ORF dosent sell them seperate.

edited, the point of my ramblings is that it seems to me whatever you want, ORF will do all they can to accomidate you
Old 02-02-2007, 03:19 AM   #18
jwc0506
Curio & Relic

wait till i get my compliance parts on it and get friggin camera operating right! man-these mix n match stock wood kits r-Sweet!!! and yeah i was talkin to gentleman at the firing range and he bought a wood 74 kit and just bought the-u.s. compliant polymerstock set for his! same goes for anyof these bulgy kits, you can buy the sf stock and plastic and just install it on later.

i would call them and say you want to make an exchange, that you whern't happy with the kit. return all the parts that you got-- plus give their stock back to. then there's no probs. i suggested to go for the wood kit cause i heard they where in better over all cond. again you can always order a sf stock, hell k-var has them(all plastic sf stocks). also i think a Russian site even sells the real sf stocks. you probably even find one at the mkt place later? maybe you should ask them if you could get a discount on the stock for all your wait time? just an idea? another idea would be to ask them if they find you a nicer sf kit and take ur chances on it? sounds like ur minds set on a sf.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:30 PM   #19
Azure

I only bought a SF just for collecting purposes. I agree if your only gonna build one a fixed stock is probably the way to go. By the way, i called ORF about a trigger guard from my RPK kit that was really ovaled bad when they demilled it. Sight unseen, no questions asked, they said they will send a new one. And dont even want the other one back. JWC i would like to see the pics of the wood kit your talking about, i might have to order one of those!
Old 02-02-2007, 07:33 PM   #20
jwc0506
Curio & Relic

i already posted pics on my other post, but i am having a terrible time with battery life.... they don't last long at all! it's gotten to the point it's been a waste of money trying to find decent battery. it turns out my kodak digital camera required-lithium batteries........ no wonder! well now i need to find those type. as for the wood kits-they do look and feel "substantial"-no joke! the plastic also feels-sweet! very AR like light! i guess it all depends on personal pref as to what floats ur boat on these 74 kits & rifles.
sounds like a bummer that folks where getting kits not to their own standards of worth.... that's due to the FACT that stockpiles r low due to-the bbl ban crap. Hopefully our gun rights will be given back-period. I won't be voting for any anti-gun candidates myself-PERIOD. As for the kits, if you want a nicer one-i heard the wood 74's-both painted & blonde from ORF where nicer over all. the best way to check the cond of a kit ofcourse as u know: look into the bbl for wear in rifling, check the bolt face & bolt carrier for wear etc... a lotta time folks get decieved into thinkin their kit was used just because the exterior finish was bad..... be sure to check those areas mensioned before you return a kit! cause you may end up with something not as nice. the sad thig is that stock is so low in these kits-that if you didn't order awile back, or go for the ones that are better cond as stated. chances are your stuck with a more used/abused kit to work with.

Last edited by jwc0506; 02-05-2007 at 03:05 AM.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:36 PM   #21
jwc0506
Curio & Relic

and yes i'll show you some better /clear pic's of it when it's totally done.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:30 PM   #22
Bret
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 2857

Here are pictures of two brown painted stock set AK74 kits and a plum stock set AK74 kit that I got from ORF:

If you get a wood stocked kit, get a painted one. The paint actually helps protect the wood. Either way, you'll have to refinish the wood because the unpainted wood stocked kits are sure to have scratches and dings in the wood.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:02 PM   #23
Azure

and suddenly i want more, those look sharp! My RPK and fixed stock (black plastic) are that nice, but variety is the spice of life and all. Thanks much for the pics!
Old 02-03-2007, 12:42 AM   #24
winston
"One" Percenter

AKaholic #: 5563

Hey Bret,

That is good looking stuff, and I would like to ask you a question about them. The short muzzle break on two of the kits, what is up with that? I noticed it in the picture of the painted wood kit on the ORF site and couldn't tell what was going on there. Is it just a different type/style of muzzle attachment?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret
Here are pictures of two brown painted stock set AK74 kits and a plum stock set AK74 kit that I got from ORF:

If you get a wood stocked kit, get a painted one. The paint actually helps protect the wood. Either way, you'll have to refinish the wood because the unpainted wood stocked kits are sure to have scratches and dings in the wood.

http://www.campaignforliberty.org/

In a world of universal deceit.

Telling the truth is revolutionary.

"Do Right and fear No One"
winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:53 PM   #25
ftierson
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 1846

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston
Hey Bret,

That is good looking stuff, and I would like to ask you a question about them. The short muzzle break on two of the kits, what is up with that? I noticed it in the picture of the painted wood kit on the ORF site and couldn't tell what was going on there. Is it just a different type/style of muzzle attachment?

Thanks!
Hey, winston...

In the upper and lower pictures, the standard AK-74 muzzle brake has just been screwed off and is seen just above the muzzle...

The AK-74 has a different type of threaded front sight base compared to the AKM, with a fatter 24mm thread versus the 14mm thread on standard AKM muzzles. On an AKM, the barrel itself is threaded for the muzzle device while, on the AK-74, the front sight base extension that slips on over the muzzle is threaded...

I really like Bulgarian AK-74s...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:49 PM   #26
winston
"One" Percenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson
Hey, winston...

In the upper and lower pictures, the standard AK-74 muzzle brake has just been screwed off and is seen just above the muzzle...

The AK-74 has a different type of threaded front sight base compared to the AKM, with a fatter 24mm thread versus the 14mm thread on standard AKM muzzles. On an AKM, the barrel itself is threaded for the muzzle device while, on the AK-74, the front sight base extension that slips on over the muzzle is threaded...

Forrest
Ah ha..!

Thanks for pointing that out... As soon as I read it, the muzzle break stood out clear as day. Funny how that works sometimes!

Old 02-03-2007, 04:53 PM   #27
winston
"One" Percenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson

Forrest
Yeah, I gotta' get me one of those kits for sure!

I just got my first 74 related kit, a Tantal, and I'm all sorts of excited about it.

I'm trying to decide on the matching numbers painted wood stock, or the missmatching side folder at ORF.

Any suggestions?

Old 02-03-2007, 05:17 PM   #28
sjohnson
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 6585

winston,

Take a look at the un-painted wood in http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showth...hlight=painted - that may help you decide
sjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:20 PM   #29
winston
"One" Percenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjohnson
winston,

Take a look at the un-painted wood in http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showth...hlight=painted - that may help you decide
Hey thanks, I have always favored wood over plastic, but there isn't much to the grain in those Bulgarian pieces.

I am probably leaning toward the folding stock kit only because I don't yet have that type of side folder for my collection. Where as my Romanian kit is a nice looking laminate fixed stock.

I guess what I would like to know is if anyone has had problems with the mismatched kits not functioning properly.

Well...

Have ya..?

Old 02-03-2007, 10:12 PM   #30
bataanboy0

AKaholic #: 7551

Hi all. I'm new here so please be gentle. I'm slightly ignorant of AK 74s but am looking for a kit to do. Are '74s a .223? Where is the best place to get a reasonable kit and a receiver. I think I would prefer an evil black polymer rifle to a wood one. Are scope attachments difficult to add or are they included? Thanks in advance, Bataanboy0
bataanboy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:26 PM   #31
Bret
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston
but there isn't much to the grain in those Bulgarian pieces
Actually, there is more grain when you look at the pieces in person. The lower handguard has more grain than the buttstock. As a matter of fact, the grain on the lower handguard almost looks three dimensional or holographic when you look at it. Unfortunately, that gets lost in the picture.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:31 PM   #32
Bret
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bataanboy0
Hi all. I'm new here so please be gentle. I'm slightly ignorant of AK 74s but am looking for a kit to do. Are '74s a .223? Where is the best place to get a reasonable kit and a receiver. I think I would prefer an evil black polymer rifle to a wood one. Are scope attachments difficult to add or are they included? Thanks in advance, Bataanboy0
AK74's are chambered in 5.45x39 as opposed to the 7.62x39 that AK47's are chambered in. Ohio Rapid Fire is pretty much the only place to get AK74 kits. They have a good variety. In my opinion, Nodak Spud's receivers are your best bet. If you want a black stocked AK74, you're probably still better off getting a painted stocked AK74 because of the price difference. The factory stock set likely has scratches and rub marks. You'll also need to replace six parts for compliance purposes, so a black US stock set helps you achieve that. You can add a scope rail, but I personally don't know much about them.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:10 PM   #33
bataanboy0

AKaholic #: 7551

Bret, thanks for the reply. I see ORF has many kits, do you have a preference for a beginner builder? Do I need to have the receiver sent to an FFL holder? I have only a C&R. I've put rails on my SKS and an M44 and I like them alot. Thanks again
bataanboy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:56 PM   #34
Petro
((10)) Troll Brigade Ass Leder

AKaholic #: 6097

Quote:
Originally Posted by bataanboy0
Bret, thanks for the reply. I see ORF has many kits, do you have a preference for a beginner builder? Do I need to have the receiver sent to an FFL holder? I have only a C&R. I've put rails on my SKS and an M44 and I like them alot. Thanks again
If you want an easier build, then do the Built receiver sent to the FFL. It's also cheaper unless you are planning on building lots of AKs (tools wise).
Petro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 06:37 PM   #35
sjohnson
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 6585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret
Actually, there is more grain when you look at the pieces in person. The lower handguard has more grain than the buttstock. As a matter of fact, the grain on the lower handguard almost looks three dimensional or holographic when you look at it. Unfortunately, that gets lost in the picture.
I know enough about wood and pictures to "fill in" a bit. The beech buttstock on that kit has a lot of flame, ought to look great in the sunlight
sjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote