Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Old 01-12-2007, 01:48 PM   #1
parsons_12b

AKaholic #: 7292
Default Saiga Bullet guide

Was wondering what the best way to install a bulletguide on a Saiga. Would it be best to try to rivet it or just drill and Tap and install a screw.

Thanks
J.P.
parsons_12b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #2
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

It might be kind of difficult to rivet with the trunnion in the receiver.Which trunnion do you have?The round one,the ramped one or the flat one?Does it already have a rivet hole or is it without a hole?
allesennogwat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

What caliber is it?I have a 7.62 I'm installing a bullet guide in it now.I might buy a 223 Saiga tomorrow but I might leave it without a bullet guide because there are so many different 223 AK mags.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:33 PM   #4
parsons_12b

It's a 762x39 there is no hole in it I know that for other detials I will need to ask my dad we is trying to do the conversion for me while I'm deployed. I think I will just have him tapp it
Old 01-12-2007, 02:53 PM   #5
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

The 7.62 is usually pretty straight forward but you may want to wait to get the proper location of the hole if it doesn't have one.Not many 7.62's have the hole but if it does it needs to be tapped to 10x32 as the hole is too large for any smaller.If there's no hole you want to drill a smaller hole and use a smaller threaded screw.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:12 PM   #6
parsons_12b

Thanks I will let him know
Old 01-12-2007, 03:47 PM   #7
parsons_12b

Thanks I will let him know
Old 01-13-2007, 01:05 AM   #8
Bubbajj
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 4250

I was just gonna spot weld the guide in. Quick and dirty. I've also been told that all you really need to do on these is put a bead of weld along the rear of the trunion where the bullet would have contacted the guide and it works just as good. The cam and all is built into the trunion.

The AK47 is a cheap POS designed to be assembled in third world shitholes by a labor force composed of knuckle dragging, booger eating morons. It was then to be handed out to an army of uneducated peasant retards who couldn't find their own ass with both hands and a map. Thats the true genius of the design and why it remains ubiquitous to this day.

Gotmine on Barrack Obama: "He is, indeed, a bugger of the third magnitude."
Bubbajj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:16 PM   #9
shift1

AKaholic #: 4372

If it is a 7.62 gun the you will need the appropriate guide. They are only 14.00 from K-Var. However there is the shipping. There are some alterations that need to be done. Since the fourth rivit in the left side of the saiga cams the bolt then you need to decide if you want to keep the rivit and remove the camming portion of guide (preferred) or remove the rivit and be left with the hole in the receiver and go through the hassle of trying to get the timing right for camming the bolt into closed position. I use the 6x32 counter sunk screws. Personally I would not try to weld it, splatter may find it's way into the chamber or adversly affect the camming action of the bolt. Also you will need to remove the flat portion on the underside of the guide that normally fits in the milled area in the trunnion. Once this is done you can insert the guide under the barrel and work it into position, apply a bit of locktite and you are finished. With the appropriate tools it is about a thirty minute job. Wingin it will take longer.

Last edited by shift1; 01-14-2007 at 09:22 PM.
shift1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:04 AM   #10
acdj42

AKaholic #: 5781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajj
I was just gonna spot weld the guide in. Quick and dirty. I've also been told that all you really need to do on these is put a bead of weld along the rear of the trunion where the bullet would have contacted the guide and it works just as good. The cam and all is built into the trunion.
I wouldnt weld it, you might have to remove it if your guide dosent feed right. I made my guide and drilled and taped the trunion and used a counter sunk machine screw, counter sunk the guide and it looks great, not hard to do and removable. I had one Saiga I had problems with my guide and had to remove it and make another one, glad I didnt weld that one......................AD
acdj42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:47 PM   #11
omorefone

AKaholic #: 30982

For a 7.62x39 saiga, Which bullet guide should be used from K-var? they have 3 of them. Also does anyone have a picture of a 7.62x39 Saiga with the bulled guide installed while keeping the extra rivet also?
omorefone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:58 PM   #12
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

The K-ar bullt guides won't drop in unless you have the not so common Saiga trunnion cut for a bullet guide and then I think most of those are for the two rivet bullet guide which K-var doesn't sell. You might get the bottom rivet to work but I'm not sure the bottom of the guide is the same as the trunnion. You can grind away the part of the guide that goes where the bolt turning stud is. It's hardened and leaves a hol in the receiver if you can remove it. For the K-var bullet guides the only one that is close is the AK-74 5.45 one because the Saiga bolt has the same long lugs. A standard 7.62 bullet won't work. What I did was grind the bottom of a 7.62 guide round for a round bottom Saiga trunnion and ground away the side of the guide to clear the bolt turning stud. The 5.45 guide is pretty decent for 5.56 and if you remove the bolt turning stud no matter if you have 7.62x39 or 5.56 Saiga you will require the angle for the long bolt lug of the 5.45 bullet guide. The Bulgarian 7.62 and Bulgarian 5.56 bullet guides are completely different from the Saiga bolt lugs which are only like the Bulgarian 5.45 AK-74.