Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Old 01-01-2007, 07:15 PM   #1
ETG
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 5494
Default Removing and installing barrel without a press.

Hi everyone and Happy New Year. I had a guy request that I make him a set of barrel protectors with a hole in them for use with all thread. Not exactly sure how the gear puller method works so someone t6hat has done it please let me know what you think. As far as I can tell the breach plug does not need a hole in it. I would think that maybe a concave or slight cone in the breach plug might help keep the puller centered though. For the muzzle end I don't think there is enough material to cut it to fit in a 30 cal barrel and then bore a .25" hole in it. What I was thinking was to make it a little thicker than normal (like may 1/2" think), bore the 1/4" hole and then put a 15-20 degree taper on it. My thinking is the taper would center on the muzzle crown and keep the rod centered during the press. Another idea I had was to use one of Brad's front trunion press fixtures instead of modifying a bolt (again - I have no first hand experience here only what I've read here). Anyway, take a look at this fixture:

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showth...rel+press+tool

If you drilled a hole that would align with the barrel and thread it for the all- thread you would have a complete barrel installation setup. I suggested drilling and threading the fixture just to keep the hole as small as possible in the trunion fixture. I have one of Brads fixtures and it is very nice and quite affordable at $28.00. I'm not sure how much the gear puller everyone suggest using cost but it seems like a person could get setup to remove and install barrels for around $50 and take up very little room :-)

Comments, suggestions, criticisim?????
ETG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:23 PM   #2
nbjly

AKaholic #: 1194

I'm wanting to make a setup pretty much like the one Tapeo1 shows in this thread:

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showth...&highlight=jig

Any thoughts how how to improve this?
nbjly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:41 PM   #3
ETG
Veteran Member

That's definately an option too. Cost is right :-)
Old 01-01-2007, 08:36 PM   #4
sjohnson
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 6585

The allthread would need to pass through anything in the muzzle or the chamber.

Since the ETG brass PUSHER wouldn't be used when installing a barrel, only the muzzle end piece would have to be drilled. But like you say, ETG, a .250 hole drilled through a .310 brass cylinder wouldn't leave much sidewall.

I'd do it as a brass coin with a hole drilled through the center, kind of a thick brass donut. The brass coin protects the muzzle, the hole allows the allthread to pass through.

Gear puller: The two jaws/hooks slip over the front of the trunnion. The center threaded pusher contacts the pennies or brass ETG push protector. The extractor cutout is a bit of a problem, just as it is in a press.

A puller works in the same way as a press. The puller jaws are the "press plates" (they keep the trunnion from moving) and the center threaded bolt is the press ram (which moves the barrel).
sjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:34 AM   #5
jwc0506
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 4865

ETG, my box got full cause i had company & family over for Christmas. Un-fortunately my pm box has gotten overloaded. I can't help the fact i was busy and was not online during the holidays.... just to let ya know it wasn't intensional that my box was full. I got ur message about the rivet sizes etc...-ty. Jwc

Last edited by jwc0506; 01-02-2007 at 01:45 AM.
jwc0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:02 AM   #6
usmc326
Gold Contributor

AKaholic #: 61

If you need any clarification, or want to see all of the various methods do a search at www.gunco.net in their AK "Library" section.
usmc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:53 AM   #7
ETG
Veteran Member

I was mainly wanting to find out if it would be helpful to put a concave face on the breach brass protector to help keep the threaded pusher bolt centered on the brass plug. Does it have a point on it like most gear pullers do?
Old 01-02-2007, 11:06 AM   #8
sjohnson
Curio & Relic

The threaded pusher on the tool that looks like this has a flat face.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rodi_1927_1176681.jpg (95.9 KB, 131 views)
Old 01-02-2007, 01:56 PM   #9
robdog
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 5069

whats up with all the edits by campy?
Old 01-02-2007, 10:35 PM   #10
AKBuilder7255
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 5400

Anyone that has an Auto-Zone by them, I suggest going there and checking this tool out for pulling or in this case pushing the barrel shank through the front trunnion, *(I swear, this tool looks like it was designed for just what we are talking about here)* I suggest the Auto Zone Pulley Puller-- item/part#25190. For $20.00, this puller is one of the nicest of the nicest tools that I ever did see or use for pushing barrels out of the front trunnions effortlessly.*( just some slight grinding w/dremel wheel to increase jaw hold/to trunnion is all that is required)* I pushed 3 barrels the one night that I remember talking with you (ETG), about this same subject, in a matter of 20 minutes. I think you said, "AKBuilder7255", if you have a shop Press, "why on earth would you use a pulley Puller?"...Why...Cause it is much easier to use and control for doing this particular job. I have used my 12Ton shop press on a couple barrels and it seemed that I had to be a circus performer to keep this there, and that over here, and keep watching for this, while keeping this in alignment. It was crazy compared to how simple this tool works. Anyway, with Brads' barrel installing/ trunnion fixture, I suggest drilling the hole you mentioned/dead center in the small square bar that runs directly through the mag-well area aligned with barrel shank center. This area is plenty thick enough to take a tap and the 1/4" threaded rod & nut action. At the muzzle end would be a brass/bushing-0.500-l l-1.000 that butts into/against the muzzle/w a Draw nut-l 1.000 l- with .05x.05 chamfer on both ends of draw nut that would be made of mild steel (of course). Just an Idea! Ken in Pa.
ps. There's a whole lot of ideas flooding my head right now, so bear with me, so I can sort them out. I think we are still in the under $50.00 quota...for pulling and installing without a press theme....ETG,....you got my brain going in overdrive right about now....lols. Ken in pa.
AKBuilder7255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:43 PM   #11
Viragos

AKaholic #: 3684

The auto zone puller works fine with a nickel and some pennies. To re-install the barrel, put the bolt carrier back in and you will have a straight pull without any twisting of the sight block. Just cut a notch corresponding to the tang in the bolt carrier for your shim.
Viragos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:54 PM   #12
ETG
Veteran Member

I made A brass muzzle protector for someone that emailed me but he has never sent his address. What I ended up doing is making it about 1/2" long with a 1/4" hole in it. It's turned flat where the end on the barrel hits it but I put a little beveled popup in the center that fits into the crown. Holds the thing perfectly centered but your still presseing with a flat surface. Should keep the threaded rod from messing up the rifling.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:55 PM   #13
sjohnson
Curio & Relic

That sounds like just the thing to do
Old 04-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #14
phirehouse

AKaholic #: 5918

the auto zone gear puller was one of the greatest things i learned from this board. i went out and bought one the day i first read about it. it worked better than i could have ever imagined. please, give your big hammers a rest and try this tool. for less than $20.00 my romy's barrel slide out of the trunnion without resorting to heating or brut force. this thing is simply slick, and whoever figured this out and posted it, has my eternal gratitude.

phirehouse is offline   Reply With Quote