Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Handgun Forums > General Handgun Discussion

Old 02-17-2014, 06:08 PM   #36
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubThumper View Post
Weren't these recalled or something due to going Ka-Boom? (Or was that the Caracal?)
The Caracal had some issues and was recalled.

I don't recall any issues with Tanfoglios (or Caniks or Sarsilmaz') that required a safety recall.

It ain't the hardware - it's the man using it.

Home | AK Files Custom Search | PicPaste | ImgDump | ☎ Nalioth
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:31 PM   #37
Sweet5ltr

AKaholic #: 167813

Just picked up 500 rounds of NATO M882 9mm ball ammunition. Ready to put some rounds downrange this week with it. Should be at my local FFL on Wednesday. Heard this was pretty hot (close to +p velocity), I have used it extensively while in the Military; but obviously in full frame handguns (Sig 226/92FS).

Also was lucky enough to score 500 rounds of .45 acp MATCH ammunition (04/08). 200 rounds of Israeli TZZ .45acp 230G ball ammunition followed.

I haven't seen any of this stuff come up in quite some time.

500 rounds Federal 'white box' .45 match/ 200 Israeli .45 acp + 500 rounds Nato 9mm for the value of my 3" Ruger Security Six. That is a good trade in my book.

Last edited by Sweet5ltr; 02-17-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Sweet5ltr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:00 PM   #38
broberts62

AKaholic #: 157042

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubThumper View Post
Weren't these recalled or something due to going Ka-Boom? (Or was that the Caracal?)
It was the Caracal. Or however you spell it.
broberts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:17 PM   #39
Sweet5ltr

I personally have never heard any negative performance reviews on the Canik lineup, let alone a recall.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #40
dwcopple

AKaholic #: 171373

can't wait to see pics so I can be mad that I didn't order a OD Green one. I might paint the grips like this:
dwcopple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:55 AM   #41
Yugom5966
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 5972

OP, in your first post you say some guys at the CZ forum think these are better made, and a few posts later you say that most guys at the CZ forum think these are better. Which is it? Also, I don't get how tooling marks are a big deal? Ever own an AK? Neither of my CZ's have any visible tooling markings that I can see with it field stripped.

Sincerely,

A CZ fanboy. BTW I carry a CZ-P01 so I may be a little biased.
Yugom5966 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:06 AM   #42
dwcopple

all internals are chrome lined on the Canik's. I guess they are just finely honed machines. Factory takes extra time and care to perfect it, not just "good enough".
Old 02-18-2014, 06:52 PM   #43
Sweet5ltr

Hey, just stating they seem like a good price for the performance and quality. Take it for what it's worth, not a fanboy by any means. I build 1911's. I've owned HK's, Sig's, Browning HP's, you name it. I was surprised at the CZ guys reaction to the little guns.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:54 AM   #44
Sweet5ltr

Okay, picked up the Canik55 yesterday. The quality and physical appearance alone are outstanding. Opened up, their are very little if any machining marks or imperfections; unlike many CZs I have seen online. The lock up is ultra tight, shaking the handgun and making even a slight 'rattle' is near impossible. Their are very little moving parts, I really like the steel guide rod assembly over the plastic piece found in some CZ's. It is cerakoted fully inside the slide and frame. This feels like a $600-$800 handgun, not a budget handgun from Turkey.

My overall thoughts on the controls:
The controls are right where you need them, I can operate the safety and slide release with my trigger finger if necessary. I find it EASIER to operate the slide release with my trigger finger, and the safety is very smooth to engage and disengage with the thumb. The trigger has a heavy -but- clean DA pull, I would rate it around 12# (can be lightened with a Cajun Gun Works spring assembly). It has quite a bit of travel in DA, more than expected; but the trigger in SA is quite smooth and light with limited take up. It is very predictable and crisp. I would say around 5#. The hammer is so easy to get to with your thumb, why on earth you would realistically fire in DA mode is beyond me unless you were in a stressful, life or death situation.

Range time:
Shot 30 rounds behind property into a pond, directing fire at a very small berm (estimate 6"x6"x6") protruding from the surface around 25M away. Truth be told, I hit this berm standing, off hand, the very first shot. It seemed to shoot a tad high overall, (maybe 2-3") at this range, but as long as you did your part it was ridiculously accurate and more than consistent for personal protection. I hit this target many times, and the misses were relatively an inch or so away. Recoil was minimal, it felt like a .22 firing in my hand. Follow up shots could not be simpler, with minimal muzzle flip it stayed on target with relative ease. I was MORE than impressed with the performance at the price point these sell for.

Attempting this with my compact 1911, my father and I both failed to hit the target with 8 rounds fired. It was getting near dusk, so visibility was limited, but I was VERY surprised that my 'Turkish Clone' out shot one of my 1911's with novak sights and a 3.5# match grade trigger. The sight radius is identical on both guns. I had 1 FTF (failed to chamber) in the second magazine, 14th round. This was highly expected during break in, which requires a minimum of 200 rounds. This gun was picked up out of the box, loaded up, and fired with NO oiling of any kind.

Field stripping is extremely easy, half cock the hammer, line up two marking on the rear of the slide and frame, and push the slide release pin from right hand side of frame while pulling the left hand slide release (as it is ambi-safety/slide release). Pushing the slide forward off the frame finishes the job. This internally, is by far, one of the simplest firearms I have ever encountered. You can field strip in a matter seconds with practice.

Overall, I think you know how I feel about my purchase... For $320 cerakoted, it is by far one of the best values on the market IMO if you are looking for a CZ style clone.

Last edited by Sweet5ltr; 02-20-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #45
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet5ltr View Post
The hammer is so easy to get to with your thumb, why on earth you would realistically fire in DA mode is beyond me unless you were in a stressful, life or death situation.
Well, for one thing, cocking the hammer before you kill someone takes the situation from "legal self defense" to "premeditated murder" in some jurisdictions.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:25 PM   #46
dwcopple

Sweet5ltr, how does the weight of the gun feel? Are these steel frame or alloy?
Old 02-20-2014, 10:09 PM   #47
Sweet5ltr

Steel frame. I personally enjoy the added frame weight over alloy. Feels really well balanced with a full magazine.

Fired 70 rounds today. Absolutely no issues. Two magazines were fired as fast as the trigger could reset.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:17 PM   #48
redstate

AKaholic #: 173033

The C-100 has the alloy frame.
redstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:19 PM   #49
Sweet5ltr

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstate View Post
The C-100 has the alloy frame.
Yes, that is correct. Tristar imports the alloy C100's (no rail or ambi-controls), while Century imports the steel Stingray-c (cerakote available, ambi-controls, and rail).

One mimics the CZ75 Compact visually while the other is in resemblance to the CZ75 P-01.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #50
dwcopple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet5ltr View Post
Yes, that is correct. Tristar imports the alloy C100's (no rail or ambi-controls), while Century imports the steel Stingray-c (cerakote available, ambi-controls, and rail).

One mimics the CZ75 Compact visually while the other is in resemblance to the CZ75 P-01.
Yeah so does the Shark C and the T-100 Tristar. Wish either of those were able to be had for the $299 I got my Stingray for. I'd have preferred the weight savings. Oh well.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:19 PM   #51
Sweet5ltr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcopple View Post
Yeah so does the Shark C and the T-100 Tristar. Wish either of those were able to be had for the $299 I got my Stingray for. I'd have preferred the weight savings. Oh well.
I carry 135G Hornady Critical Duty +P. I believe that the heavier frame would be overall, the better choice in carrying this type of round (as to allow quicker follow up shots and reduced recoil). Standard, lower pressure rounds may not see as much benefit. Realistically, it makes shooting at the range a bit easier with the additional 10oz.

I believe the $299 retail price for the stingray-c is a bargain for the options, local academy wants $349 w/o tax for the C100 with 1/2 the features and marginal weight savings. I do like the shark compact.. Wish we could get the Piranha-c over here in the states.

Last edited by Sweet5ltr; 02-21-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:44 PM   #52
dsanders083

AKaholic #: 172904

There is a local shop that carries various models of the canik line. Id like to say a shark, stingray and other animals. In ky and ohio, unless ordering offline, they are already the price of a CZ 4 and up. They make a copy of an hk as well. It is 550 at Borders in Ashland ky- it is steel and not polymer like the hk, which is why I said copy and not clone.
dsanders083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #53
Sweet5ltr

I would not purchase the canik if the price was identical to the CZ it is based off of, but most online retailers have them for $299-$320. Locally, CZs are around the $550-$600 price bracket on the used market. The qaulity could quite possibly be better though, as many on the CZ forum who own them have pointed out.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:53 PM   #54
dwcopple

All I can say is Andy @ Century is a Moron. He F'd my order up and it just shipped today. Ordered back on 2/16/14. Judas Priest...
Old 02-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #55
unicratt
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 164114

Quote:
All I can say is Andy @ Century is a Moron. He F'd my order up and it just shipped today. Ordered back on 2/16/14. Judas Priest...
Actually, I think he is pretty smart for a monkey.
unicratt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:46 PM   #56
jbanzai

AKaholic #: 163101

This pistol DA/SA? Does it have a decocker, or is it carried cocked and locked?
jbanzai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:58 PM   #57
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbanzai View Post
This pistol DA/SA? Does it have a decocker, or is it carried cocked and locked?
It is your bog-standard CZ/Tanfoglio design.

As it has an automatic firing pin safety, you can carry it with the hammer down ( if you decock it manually ) or cocked and locked.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:47 AM   #58
swizz

AKaholic #: 162162

How does the Stingray model compare to the Shark in regards to build quality, trigger, and ergonomics?
swizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:47 PM   #59
Sweet5ltr

I believe the stingray is every bit an equal to the shark (if not better). In all honesty, it is difficult to get your hands on these in local firearm stores; especially for side-by-side viewing and comparisons. I picked up the Cajun Gun Works trigger spring kit and it really did wonders for the factory DA trigger pull. Single action is light, around 4.5-5# and smooth.

With this model you can activate the safety with the hammer up, which is great in my opinion as it has a relatively good double action mode. In SD I don't think a 3-5M engagement will make much of a difference at firing center mass in DA or SA. The safety with the hammer up just makes everyone (my girlfriend) included, more comfortable in most situations as she handles it regularly.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:50 PM   #60
Sweet5ltr

I am now ordering her the Desert Tan model btw, unsure of which vendor to go through as I don't want to wait two weeks for my handgun to ship from century...

Have J Bossart Gun Leather building a custom IWB holster as we speak, should be done in the next week or so. Currently, just carrying (rarely) in a G29/G30 Galco OWB leather rig.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:04 AM   #61
2Munkeez
Sheath Maker/Zombie Hunter

AKaholic #: 162305

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalioth View Post
It is your bog-standard CZ/Tanfoglio design.

As it has an automatic firing pin safety, you can carry it with the hammer down ( if you decock it manually ) or cocked and locked.
Wow, I figuredit would be like the P-01. While I would like to have a "cocked an locked" option, it is hard to give up a decocker as my weapon gets decocked a lot and I just have the creepy feeling that (after a thousand or so manual decockings) I'm gonna end up having a "slip" and punch a hole in the floor.

Ideally I wish it had BOTH like the old Taurus safeties - flip it up for a safety (with the hammer back) or push it down to decock.

I have never felt one yet I tell my brother in law (who needs a CCW) that it is the one I would be buying if I wasn't already set in that department. To be honest I'm not out of the woods yet, now that I hear it has a steel frame, it might force its way into my cart.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:27 AM   #62
YGT
Banned
Contributor

AKaholic #: 172259

Its a cosmetic clone of a cz75 clone.

I know, because I shoot and twirl the original... clone...
YGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:57 AM   #63
dwcopple

still no gun from Century. Horrible. I am calling them in a few mins. If it hasn't shipped, I'm cancelling the order and getting a T-100 from Buds. This is unacceptable. I ordered on 2/16.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:06 AM   #64
dwcopple

cancelled. They were absolute morons. No excuse. Oh well. Gonna keep lookin' for the lighter Tristar T100 instead. $343+free ship from the "evil" CTD and Buds is close to that but they declined all of my "offers". I think that system is a sham.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #65
Sweet5ltr

Quote:
cancelled. They were absolute morons. No excuse. Oh well. Gonna keep lookin' for the lighter Tristar T100 instead. $343+free ship from the "evil" CTD and Buds is close to that but they declined all of my "offers". I think that system is a sham.
I agree with you their brother, good choice. I don't mind the extra weight for the additional features.

Why the T100 over the C100? Good choice either way, just personal preference?
Old 03-04-2014, 10:57 AM   #66
dwcopple

Actually, just ordered a K2P 9mm for $307 shipped from CTD. I like the reduced weight and I've held a SAR before and loved the grip. Now I don't need to worry about wasting money on dress up grips either. Still a CZ clone but I like the open ejection port style on the SAR. Plus it has the short barrel of the B6Pc but still has the full 16rd capacity and I think the SAR's have a lifetime warranty too. On the downside, it has a ton of stupid graphics raised all over the polymer, only comes with 1 mag (CZ 17rd and 19rd confirmed to fit and work), and its black. But for the $$$ I'm sure I'll be pleased. Now to source some more cheap mags...
Old 03-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #67
nalioth

Quote:
Actually, just ordered a K2P 9mm for $307 shipped from CTD.
** SHAMELESS PLUG **

Nobody ever seems to want to barter (if they even know what that is) anymore . .

WTS NIB EAA SAR K2P 9mm pistol - AK Files

** END SHAMELESS PLUG **

Old 03-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #68
dwcopple

Are you saying you would've taken less than $307 shipped? I can still cancel.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:44 PM   #69
kamui34

AKaholic #: 165823

What aftermarket is available for that K2P 9mm?
kamui34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #70
dwcopple

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamui34 View Post
What aftermarket is available for that K2P 9mm?
Uh, mags? Cz755b 17 & 19 rd mags fit fine. What else do you need? A Hogue Handall grip?