Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-74s

Notices

Old 12-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
AdamP123
((((-(-(-_-)-)-))))

AKaholic #: 154955
Default My Gewehr Werks 5.45x39 Rifle Is Done! (Pics in OP)

A few months ago, I had a crazy idea and gathered the parts to make it work. Then, I sent if off to Tim Foreman at Gewehr Werks to be built. Tim has been a pleasure to deal with thus far and I highly recommend him. I did a lot of web searching before I decided to send the kit to him and don't think I read a bad thing about the guy or his shop.

http://www.gewehrwerks.com/

A little background on the rifle and a parts breakdown...

A virgin AK-105 barrel assembly was used along with a virgin AK74 parts kit.

[span style='font-weight: bold;']Other Parts:[/span]

TWS Forend and Dust Cover
RD AKM4 adapter
Magpul CTR with 1/4" Cheek Riser
Magpul MOE AK Grip
Magpul AFG
Tantal Brake permanently attached
Troy Micro flip-up sights

I plan on topping it off with an Aimpoint PRO since it will co-witness with the Micros.

I just talked with Tim today and the rifle is ready to ship back to me. He said that he really liked the rifle build and wants to offer it on his site after he talks with vendors and gets pricing sorted. Personally, I think it's going to be one bad ass little AK that I am going to enjoy thoroughly. So, if any of you like the concept or idea, these will be available from Gewehr Werks. I am guessing (but certainly do not want to speak for him or his shop) that he'll end up using Saigas in various calibers as it would be a lot more economical and the barrel could be made a bit longer than an AK-105 barrel without adding to the overall length. The build could incorporate just about any caliber and barrel length combo.

Here's a quick mock-up I did before I shipped it off...

I should have pics from Tim today or tomorrow and will post the final build when I get the photos.

UPDATE – 4/24/14

I was finally able to find the time to get my brainchild yesterday and I have to say… this damn thing is, by far, the nicest AK rifle I have ever owned and I have/had some nice ones (SLR-107FR, SLR-104UR, SLR-104FR, just about every flavor of VEPR, etc). The quality on this is amazing and one can only conclude that Tim Foreman is a perfectionist. The rivet work is great. The finish is excellent. Mags lock in nice and tight. I have zero complaints.

When looking down to top rail, alignment is absolutely perfect from the top cover to the front end on this rifle. I was going to try this setup on a few base rifles, but it seemed that every single rifle was out of alignment (canted gas block, canted RSB, slightly twisted receiver, misaligned rear trunnion, etc.) in one way or another. That is why I wanted it to be a ground-up build. This rifle is spot-on – absolutely straight from front to rear and that is exactly what is needed for this setup to make sense and work. The only thing I will likely change with this rifle is swapping out the RD adapter for a Canis adapter. I’ve had issues with the RD adapter and I think the Canis is a superior product. Now, I just need to get one in 7.62x39!

Just to give you an idea of overall length, I have it next to my AR that has a 14.5" barrel and permanently attached FH.

Update 4/25/14

I had a very short time frame to get to the range today. I sighted it in real quick at 30 yards and, once I got it sighted in, I shot a 1" group @ 50 yards - about what I expected. Then, I strung a few rounds together just to get a feel for the rifle. It is smooth. Recoil and muzzle flip are nearly non-existent. Took some video just to compare it to how the rifle felt.

Я люблю котов! У меня нет кота, но они очаровательны. Я люблю разговаривать с людьми в парке о своих домашних кошках. Кошки могут быть настолько привередливыми! Вы когда-нибудь задумывались что кошки думают? Много приветствий! Адам.

Last edited by AdamP123; 12-03-2014 at 06:53 PM.
AdamP123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
coltonms3

AKaholic #: 159738

I love it,
coltonms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
dasu

AKaholic #: 250

I thought TWS stopped making the long rail handguard that swaps out for the RSB.

Can you still buy that somewhere?
dasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
Tx
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 165414

If you find a way to use the UBR stock, it would look so bad ass lol. This is what you would do if the AK12 doesn't become available here lol.
Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
KaiserJ
'Murican

AKaholic #: 169156

I love it, and I'm a super purist Nazi. I think you should use the MagPul pistol grip, would look pretty sweet, the only difference I'd make if it was mine would be.................

yeah can't really think of anything. I might prefer the polymer side-folder, but that's just me, over all looking good
KaiserJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
Pvt.Joker
Larger than life and twice as ugly

AKaholic #: 8956

It's not my personal cup of tea, but by that same token my AKS-74N remarked Bulgarian project offends the senses of a few folks too. So in that spirit, I say build YOUR rifle in the manner YOU want it to be, and enjoy doing so. It DOES look like it should be a good example of what you are wanting it to be, so in that regard, good job with it. It certainly is not a "heinous abomination" by any means, though. It is simply a more modernized, "tactical" version of these rifles.

In the end, those who felt the "need" to make better choices for the rest of us should be told that they have a choice between going to the gallows, or being fed chocolate cake. But WE get to "make the BETTER choice" for THEM for once.

Liberalism: Dedicated to promoting the "freedom" to blindly OBEY THEM since Karl Marx!
Pvt.Joker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #7
s10nova

AKaholic #: 163662

Likey..those front handguards are sweet..ARish maybe..I like to think more like some modern military units...modern day Russian and Spaetsnaz units are running around with rails..red dots etc on the rifles they use anyways probably arent they ?
s10nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #8
AdamP123
((((-(-(-_-)-)-))))

With optics.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasu View Post
I thought TWS stopped making the long rail handguard that swaps out for the RSB.

Can you still buy that somewhere?
They did not stop making these. I just don't think they are a real popular seller due to the price tag. Primary Arms has them and you can also order them direct from TWS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx View Post
If you find a way to use the UBR stock, it would look so bad ass lol. This is what you would do if the AK12 doesn't become available here lol.
The UBR stock will be a piece of cake (just need a RD or Canis adapter), but I may go CTR instead so that I can use the cheek riser... that and I'll save about $200 (to put towards ammo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserJ View Post
I love it, and I'm a super purist Nazi. I think you should use the MagPul pistol grip, would look pretty sweet, the only difference I'd make if it was mine would be.................

yeah can't really think of anything. I might prefer the polymer side-folder, but that's just me, over all looking good
I'll definitely be going with a Magpul MOE grip. I like them. I just used some parts I had laying around to mock up the rifle and still need to order a ton of shit. This is going to be really expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt.Joker View Post
It's not my personal cup of tea, but by that same token my AKS-74N remarked Bulgarian project offends the senses of a few folks too. So in that spirit, I say build YOUR rifle in the manner YOU want it to be, and enjoy doing so. It DOES look like it should be a good example of what you are wanting it to be, so in that regard, good job with it. It certainly is not a "heinous abomination" by any means, though. It is simply a more modernized, "tactical" version of these rifles.
Yeah, I'm definitely going through with this regardless of anyone's opinion. I just thought it would be cool to share and see what everyone else thought of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10nova View Post
Likey..those front handguards are sweet..ARish maybe..I like to think more like some modern military units...modern day Russian and Spaetsnaz units are running around with rails..red dots etc on the rifles they use anyways probably arent they ?
Absolutely. There is a lot of photographical evidence of this.

Я люблю котов! У меня нет кота, но они очаровательны. Я люблю разговаривать с людьми в парке о своих домашних кошках. Кошки могут быть настолько привередливыми! Вы когда-нибудь задумывались что кошки думают? Много приветствий! Адам.

Last edited by AdamP123; 04-29-2014 at 05:22 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #9
justin22885
Banned

AKaholic #: 40141

this brings me to an idea i had.. see, a lot of people talk about combination front sight and gas blocks.. but i notice there are "barrel mounted" picatinny rails that clamp on over a barrel.. i had the idea of getting one of the right size, if not just a tad smaller that i could dremel out a bit to clamp over the round section of the top of a 90 degree gas block giving the gas block itself a small picatinny rail for an either fixed or flip up front sight.. maybe get a set of the HK style sights front and rear with the dogleg

what do you guys think of that idea?
justin22885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #10
soul rebel
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 167399

i have that grip. i like it.
soul rebel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #11
Ampickle

AKaholic #: 171123

It's the tits man....
Old 12-26-2013, 11:38 PM   #12
Roger AK-74 fan
AK All Day

AKaholic #: 156628

Sick.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:25 AM   #13
GuidoFL
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 171081

Very nasty looking rifle, I like it !
GuidoFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #14
justin22885
Banned

hey AdamP123.. heres an idea.. i believe its ak builder that sells a trunnion that allows the use of ace modular components to be used.. it replaces your original tanged trunnion and you can get a side folding adapter that sits damn near flush with the back of the receiver when folded and allows you to add a buffer tube to it.. so you could use the collapsible MOE stock, and also side fold it too.. since it looks like youre going with a dogleg rail you dont have to worry whether the folded stock has clearance for the side rail or not.. thats an idea im seriously considering

and what is actually going to supply the top rail?.. its obvious thats a rail forearm youd use for an AR15 is the top rail going to be a gas tube rail or part of the handguard?.. and for that matter, do gas tube rails even hold zero?

im also curious if a shorter gas system is intended to be used, and how long of a barrel that is intended to be?
Old 12-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #15
AdamP123
((((-(-(-_-)-)-))))

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
hey AdamP123.. heres an idea.. i believe its ak builder that sells a trunnion that allows the use of ace modular components to be used.. it replaces your original tanged trunnion and you can get a side folding adapter that sits damn near flush with the back of the receiver when folded and allows you to add a buffer tube to it.. so you could use the collapsible MOE stock, and also side fold it too.. since it looks like youre going with a dogleg rail you dont have to worry whether the folded stock has clearance for the side rail or not.. thats an idea im seriously considering

I will definitely be going with either a Rifle Dynamics AKM4 adapter or a Canis M4 adapter. I am just not sure yet. I definitely don't want to get into anything other than a stock AK74 trunnion.

Quote:

and what is actually going to supply the top rail?.. its obvious thats a rail forearm youd use for an AR15 is the top rail going to be a gas tube rail or part of the handguard?.. and for that matter, do gas tube rails even hold zero?
The top rails on the rifle will be supplied by the TWS dust cover and handguard. When they are both installed on a rifle, they sit at almost the exact same height. The TWS handguard has a proprietary gas tube that replaces the stock gas tube. I suspect that it would have no issues holding zero. The dust cover will be where my optic and rear sight get mounted and I am pretty sure that will be fine.

The upper portion of the front handguard will be where my front sight gets mounted. That should be good as well. The lower portion of the handguard clamps to the barrel with two large clamps (and eight beefy screws). I plan on using red lockte every screw (unless someone knows something better than that) on those clamps and the screws that hold the lower handguard to those clamps. It should hold just fine. I'll probably blue locktite every screw on the top piece. Once I get it all together, I doubt I will ever remove the lower portion. If there is a reason to remove the top portion, the lower piece will still be untouched. Once the upper portion is reinstalled, it should go right back to zero. It is a very tight fit between the upper and lower pieces.

Quote:

im also curious if a shorter gas system is intended to be used, and how long of a barrel that is intended to be?
No. I will be going with a standard length gas block and have the Tantal brake very close to that (no room for a front sight). The TWS will only work with standard-length gas systems (unless they make another that I am unaware of). The barrel is 12.5" and with the Tantal brake permanently attached, will be just over 16" (16.1"-16.2").

Old 12-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #16
Tommo
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 1190

+1 Love practical AK74s and AKMs!
Tommo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #17
justin22885
Banned

i wasnt aware of the TWS handguard, ill have to look into that for the possibility of doing something similar.. ive been toying around with the idea
Old 12-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #18
justin22885
Banned

hmm.. you know, now that i think about it, arent saiga handguards full length out to the gas block?..
Old 12-28-2013, 12:05 AM   #19
newtothegame
CPL/1st CivDiv

AKaholic #: 159222

Looking forward to seeing this puppy in a YouTube video in action if you don't mind

You're Twittering the shit outta the AK Files.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #20
AdamP123
((((-(-(-_-)-)-))))

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Looking forward to seeing this puppy in a YouTube video in action if you don't mind
That wouldn't be a problem. I usually record a bit while at the range just to review muzzle activity as I try different comps and brakes. I could record a few minutes.

Also, I finally found an AK-105 barrel (got if from MouseBoy who was kind enough to offer it to me). It will be on the way soon and I should have this together in a month or so. For those of you looking for AK-105 barrel assemblies, a couple guys at K-Var have told me that they are expecting more of them in a month or two.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #21
justin22885
Banned

im interested in this too, its really gotten me thinking of something similar.. i wonder though how far back that slanted forward grip can go while still allowing room for the magazine to be rocked forward and removed?

im also assuming the handguard retainer will be omitted.. but, could always add one of the clamp on retainers they use on saigas later if you change your mind
Old 12-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #22
AdamP123
((((-(-(-_-)-)-))))

Yes, the forend retainer will be omitted and I'll have no need for a clamp-on retainer as this setup will not be changing. I am sure that the AFG could be put all the way back towards the mag and mag changes would be just fine. My Mini Draco has an AFG in the position you described and it's not a problem changing mags. With 5.45x39, it would definitely work due to the lesser taper of the cartridge and straighter mags. Personally though, I like my AFGs farther forward.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #23
justin22885
Banned

thats why i thought saiga forearms, theyre full length to the gas block without the handguard retainer.. thats what the forearm in that photo reminds me of.. wonder if they make any free floating stocks?
Old 12-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #24
ak-74hero
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 166229

I like it. I'm not real into tactical but that looks pretty tastefully done. It actually kinda reminds me of the ak12u on bf4 lol
ak-74hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:41 PM   #25
justin22885
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-74hero View Post
I like it. I'm not real into tactical but that looks pretty tastefully done. It actually kinda reminds me of the ak12u on bf4 lol
i like some of the changes on the AK-12.. cant wait till some of those parts kits pop up in 30 years or so

i dont think the AK-12 really made much more than ergonomic changes though.. the top rail system really is something you could get from a dogleg top rail with a handguard that offers a co-linear top rail as well.. looking at my safety lever theres really no reason the big giant paddle on it couldnt be hacked off and a smaller lever above the thumb couldnt be attached.. on the AK12 the levers are mounted in about the same position, likely the same trigger group too

as for the charging handle.. ive seen a lot of aftermarket alternatives that can remove that big gap on the side by moving the charging handle forward or even non-reciprocating left side charging handles mounted to an aftermarket dust cover completely replacing the original, or one that attaches to the gas tube and pushes on the gas piston (that would be perfect for an AK bullpup)

so the possibilities to go even more modern, even more like the AK-12 are possible should someone want to venture further than what the OP has suggested

cant imagine a real LRBHO is entirely out of the realm of possibility either.. i mean, what is a bolt hold open?.. magazine follower pushes a lever up which catches the carrier.. remove mag, insert new one then manually drop that lever with a button or something easily accessible

wonder if the OP is planning any of these modifications?
Old 12-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #26
Confederate man
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 157210

I like it. I love traditional AKs, but I think fixed up Aks are sexy if quality parts are used. Looks like you got it goin.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #27
ak-74hero
Veteran Member

yea, while i havent really warmed up to the AK12 yet i also despise ar stocks on ak's. honestly i think the ak12 and alot of the features you mentioned are useful, i think they are getting away from the original intended design purpose of the ak series-simplicity.things like a recipricationg bolt handle and such have their place and reasons. KISS is the best general rule for the general infantry. alot of the swat type operators are what you see with these options on there rifles. while not my cup of tea i certainly get them. for some reason despite my predjudice, i really liked this rifle!
Old 12-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #28
uncommonsense
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 156801

Added some links for fun. Maybe not the ones to which you were referring.

Quote:
the top rail system really is something you could get from a dogleg top rail with a handguard that offers a co-linear top rail as well.. looking at my safety lever theres really no reason the big giant paddle on it couldnt be hacked off and a smaller lever above the thumb couldnt be attached.. on the AK12 the levers are mounted in about the same position, likely the same trigger group too

as for the charging handle.. ive seen a lot of aftermarket alternatives that can remove that big gap on the side by moving the charging handle forward or even non-reciprocating left side charging handles mounted to an aftermarket dust cover completely replacing the original, or one that attaches to the gas tube and pushes on the gas piston (that would be perfect for an AK bullpup)
uncommonsense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:58 PM   #29
justin22885
Banned

is there no reason the actual lever to the safety couldnt be added to the left side accessible with the thumb.. where youd find on a pistol?.. wonder if you could have one that inserted from the left to the right that the same pin retainers could fit?.. or a smaller lever on the right side goes through then you screw the other lever into the pin from the left for an ambidextrous safety.. what you just showed me was nothing short of horrible
Old 01-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #30
AdamP123
((((-(-(-_-)-)-))))

Finally tracked down an AK-105 barrel assembly...

I am getting closer.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:31 PM   #31
AdamP123
((((-(-(-_-)-)-))))

So, I just got done talking with Tim from Gewehr Werks. He said my rifle is done and he liked it so much that they want to introduce this rifle to the market and make it part of their official lineup. I should have the rifle some time next week and am pretty damn pumped to get it.

He said he'd be getting me some photos. I'll post them when available.

Last edited by AdamP123; 03-27-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #32
ak-74hero
Veteran Member

Any news or pics yet!?
Old 04-05-2014, 02:35 PM   #33
AdamP123
((((-(-(-_-)-)-))))

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-74hero View Post
Any news or pics yet!?
Unfortunately, no. I should have it this week.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #34
AdamP123
((((-(-(-_-)-)-))))

I picked up the rifle yesterday and updated the OP with pictures.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:36 AM   #35
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

Looks good. What kinda cash are you into with that build? If I may ask?
AKBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote