Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Old 11-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
Bret
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 2857
Default Century monkeys hit Yugo O-PAP M70

I picked up a Yugo O-PAP M70 today that I had ordered. At first glance it looked pretty decent.

Then I went to disassemble it and found that the recoil spring assembly is stuck in the bolt carrier.

No joke. I don't even really see how this is possible, but the monkey that replaced the gas piston somehow managed to capture the recoil spring assembly in the process. No amount of tugging or twisting will allow it to come loose. I'm sure if I pulled hard enough I could get it loose, but then it wouldn't be covered under warranty. The money who installed the gas piston screwed it all the way down so there is absolutely zero wobble. Then I think he pinned or welded it from one side only.

You can see the gas piston threads through the hole in the other side of the carrier.

Whoever did this piston install then must have figured that it's not acceptable to have any bit of the gas piston shoulder (right above the threads) hanging over the end of the carrier, so he ground the crap out of everything. The diameter is visually smaller than the same area on my other O-PAP and my N-PAP. He even took the grinder to the stem of the gas piston.

There is also burr between the front sight and the slant brake that's preventing the slant brake from rotating off. As a final bonus, the FSB is obviously canted to the left. So much so that the adjusting slide that holds the front sight post is below flush on the left side of the FSB. I have to give credit where credit is due. Whoever was installing the FSB at Zastava screwed that one up. I'm an amature and can install a FSB straight. You'd think that the person doing this at the factory could do it right.

On the positive side, the FSB is cut for night sights unlike my other O-PAP and N-PAP which were not.

I'm going to call the company I ordered from and tell them I want to send this monkey job back. I really don't want to deal directly with Century.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret View Post
Then I think he pinned or welded it from one side only.
Time is money to the Century monkeys.

They've found that securing one side of the new piston works for them, and so that's the procedure they've gone to in recent times.

It ain't the hardware - it's the man using it.

Home | AK Files Custom Search | PicPaste | ImgDump | ☎ Nalioth
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
Jaimenv
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 9749
Default I don't think Century has nothing to do here.

Unless they started building this rifles from kits and even then AFAIK they have always contract some shop to put their stuff together.

Seriously I think Zastava is cranking this things out so fast they are starting to cut corners .
Old 11-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
themaxx76
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 156234

Yeah, my top cover or trunion seem to be a little off as the front of the top cover doesn't sit low enough -

themaxx76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
Bret
Veteran Member

It's definitely a factory built rifle. Zastava failed on the canted FSB, but the captured recoil spring assembly is definitely the fault of whoever swapped out the gas piston. I'm guessing that he did the hack job swap out of the gas piston and then reassembled everything, at which point the recoil spring assembly was captured by the bolt carrier. I'm still perplexed at how that's even possible.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
Bret
Veteran Member

themaxx76, perhaps they did more trimming than they need to, but both my O-PAP's and my N-PAP look the same. My Vepr's even look similar and you can see the carrier. Remember that the rifle will function without the top cover in place. The main points of it are to keep debris out and the operator's parts from getting in.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
themaxx76
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 156234

Quote:
themaxx76, perhaps they did more trimming than they need to, but both my O-PAP's and my N-PAP look the same. My Vepr's even look similar and you can see the carrier. Remember that the rifle will function without the top cover in place. The main points of it are to keep debris out and the operator's parts from getting in.
Yeah, That's what I was thinking, it definitely looks a little too trimmed, down the road, I could always get another top cover I imagine, any M70 would fit right? But yeah, other than that, it's a really solid build.
themaxx76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
Bret
Veteran Member

The company that I bought the O-PAP from said that they couldn't exchange it because they're out and are not expecting to get more. They gave me the phone number for Century. To their credit, Century sent me a prepaid shipping label. In my letter to them I'm going to tell them that I want it replaced, although I'm not holding my breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalioth View Post
They've found that securing one side of the new piston works for them, and so that's the procedure they've gone to in recent times.
Can someone else verify that they've received an O-PAP with the gas piston secured this way? I'm going to write in my letter that this was a dumb idea, but I'd like more details before I do.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #9
sti2relaxxin
Contributor

AKaholic #: 168369

Quote:
The company that I bought the O-PAP from said that they couldn't exchange it because they're out and are not expecting to get more. They gave me the phone number for Century. To their credit, Century sent me a prepaid shipping label. In my letter to them I'm going to tell them that I want it replaced, although I'm not holding my breath.

Can someone else verify that they've received an O-PAP with the gas piston secured this way? I'm going to write in my letter that this was a dumb idea, but I'd like more details before I do.
My SAR-1's bolt carrier was done in this same fashion, so they have been welding one side and leaving the open hole on the other since at least 2003. I think they over heated the carrier when they welded it because it has a crack extending out from the open hole. I swapped out the carrier for one that Century never touched and have been happy ever since.

Here's a photo of said cracked bolt carrier:

Last edited by sti2relaxxin; 11-26-2013 at 03:45 PM.
sti2relaxxin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #10
slapshut

AKaholic #: 165205

Is the rear of the gas piston the stop for the recoil/main spring? I have never thought about it or looked up in the hole to see whats up there. I just figured it would be solid and not hollow until you put the gas piston in. Is this standard?
slapshut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
Igman

AKaholic #: 170615

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx76 View Post
Yeah, my top cover or trunion seem to be a little off as the front of the top cover doesn't sit low enough -

I had the same issue with mine. After the first shooting session, the dust cover went very loose. Sent it back, along with another issue to be taken care of and it's good now.
Igman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #12
Zeusizme

AKaholic #: 163030

The rivet thru the gas piston can't capture the recoil spring. My guess is that your recoil spring is either jammed in there or if the piston is welded maybe just maybe it could have become welded....but I doubt it. As for the quality....well you knew angry beavers built it before you bought it didn't you?
Zeusizme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #13
FangedRabbit
Chronic Tinkerer

AKaholic #: 170724

Quote:

The burr and piston are both normal for the O-PAP. The burr is the remnant of the weld that was permanently attaching the previous muzzle device when the rifle was imported. All of the O-PAPs I've seen have the piston done the same way as yours. I've debated "correcting" it, but it doesn't seem worth the effort. There are several pics of O-PAP pistons in floating around other threads.
FangedRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #14
LRRP5,45
Banned

AKaholic #: 170800

I don't see how the recoil spring assembly could be stuck. Who the hell would even do any work with the recoil spring in the carrier ? As far as the gas piston that's par for the course. Mine has threads showing on one side and the many O-PAPs I've looked at were the same.
LRRP5,45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #15
Bret
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FangedRabbit View Post
The burr and piston are both normal for the O-PAP.
The burr is keeping the slant brake from being able to rotate off. I can wiggle it a little, but that's it. I couldn't get down in there enough to remove the piece of metal that's keeping it in place.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:05 PM   #16
Bret
Veteran Member

I called today because it's been over six weeks since I sent my O-PAP in for repair. The lady told me that it shipped yesterday, so I'll have it Friday. She did say that they didn't replace it.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:45 PM   #17
LRRP5,45
Banned

AKaholic #: 170800

They don't have any left to replace yours and they're not going to import anymore. They probably fixed yours.
LRRP5,45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #18
Rakin

AKaholic #: 172323

6 weeks, joy. Tick- I am just one week in on my bullet guide crack issue.

Never shot an AK before...... Not sure when I will.
Rakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:48 AM   #19
powerstroke762

AKaholic #: 170027

I had to send my O-PAP back as well. They have had it for 5 weeks as of Monday so hopefully I will get it back soon.
powerstroke762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:13 AM   #20
EMT760

AKaholic #: 171583

That sucks man. Century is a PITA to deal with too. They screwed me over and I wrote their cooperate office asking for a explanation for their denial to warranty my rifle ( CA).

Never responded. Here's mine, canted rear sight leaf.

EMT760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #21
GuidoFL
Contributor

AKaholic #: 171081

Concerning above photo. The "pin" holding the leaf sight in place has jumped out of it's hole on the left side. Easy fix. Do a You Tube search "removing AK rear sight"

As far as sending gas pistons back to CIA do just that not the whole rifle. Buy another assembly if you have to or have CAI replace it.

Seems way to many AK's built in 2013 after the Newtown panic have problems. Buyers were buying at any price as fast as they could and prices zoomed as quality dropped. Now things have leveled out and AK sales are down. So prices should be dropping soon ? But ...way to many people are still paying outrageous prices for "rare" mags and will be soonleft holding the bag as that ends.

Just my 2 cents.

NRA Life member, Endowment level. "United we stand against tyranny "

Flag is the famous Bonnie Blue, look it up.
GuidoFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:31 AM   #22

AKaholic #: 170843

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMT760 View Post
That sucks man. Century is a PITA to deal with too. They screwed me over and I wrote their cooperate office asking for a explanation for their denial to warranty my rifle ( CA).

a significant portion of the rear sights i have seen on opap,npap,m92 zastava aks are not straight. not even remotely straight on a lot of the pistols.
what did they tell you to do with it??
123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:37 AM   #23
dasu

AKaholic #: 250

Ive seen that on the M85. Of course it didnt effect functionality, the gun was smooth and reliable.
dasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:59 AM   #24
Ampickle

AKaholic #: 171123

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx76 View Post

My M92 is like that..
Old 01-16-2014, 11:07 AM   #25
HPP

AKaholic #: 19940

That rifle with a crooked sight could have a crooked trunion too. I saw one at a shop that was like that. Like i told someone else when i got mine i went over them thoroughly before doing the paperwork. Also one of mine the recoil spring stuck in the piston i just pulled harder and it popped right out. Clp and it was fine. If i were to complain about anything it would be that 3 of the 4 mags i received were rusted and or totally useless. Thanks century.
HPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:56 AM   #26
EMT760

HPP,

Century will not take of CA customers period.. I was told the "mag lock" voids the warranty lol. They're a horrible company with no ethics.

They jerked me around. I was told initially they would warranty it, then a supervisor blamed a employee for being " new". That they can't do anything to help me.

I got a replacement rifle from my FFL.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #27
greenpeas

AKaholic #: 155193

If Century is so shitty then why do people keep buying their rifles?
greenpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #28
TheGreek!
FAA certified Aircraft Mechanic

AKaholic #: 157160

Quote:

Thats an easy fix. Remove the sight by pushing down on the end of the sight spring with a straight screwdriver and then pull out the sight, straighten out the bent pin at the bottom of the sight (thats whats causing it to sit like that), and then re-install it.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #29
EMT760

I already exchanged the rifle. I'm not sure if it is the leaf or not. I replaced with a differen't leaf. It still canted, I've determined the sight leaf hole needed material taken off to compensate or a tig weld on the opposite side to get it to " sit straight".
Old 01-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #30
EMT760

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpeas View Post
If Century is so shitty then why do people keep buying their rifles?
Because they offer a affordable option to many consumers. Their cheaper than a Arsenal that's why.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:08 PM   #31
Bret
Veteran Member

Quote:
Because they offer a affordable option to many consumers. Their cheaper than a Arsenal that's why.
and I'll add that despite the high end reputation that they attempt to convey, Arsenal's quality is no better. I've owned three Arsenal rifles. Two (both 5.56x45 rifles) went back because they were unreliable. After several tries, Arsenal couldn't repair them and refunded me my money. The other had a damaged front sight / gas block that they were able to repair. The finish quality of the Arsenals poor. Try dealing with Arsenal's customer service. They will make you thankful for Century's customer service.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:37 PM   #32
HPP

AKaholic #: 19940

People will probably hate me for this one but I didn't see any real difference between the saiga and the arsenal I looked at either quality wise. I can appreciate that the Arsenals are 'correct' but then a parts kit assembled properly or a converted saiga can be 'correct' too and for less money. Really think it comes down to the name and the fact that people spend 1200$ and think it's 2x as good as a 600$ item.
HPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #33
EMT760

Some of the Arsenal rifles are from Bulgaria. Not a Izmash rifle ( Saiga) only the SGL 21 and 31 I believe are.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:41 PM   #34
Bret
Veteran Member

I received the O-PAP back today. To say I'm mad as hell would be an understatement. They replaced the recoil spring assembly, but the new one is still getting stuck in the carrier. I had to pull extremely hard to get it to come out. No doubt that when I shoot it, the recoil spring assembly will press fit itself permanently in the carrier. The front sight post actually appears to be straightened. How they did this I don't know because they didn't fix the problem with the slant brake not being removable. Worse of all, they must have dropped the rifle because the right rear of the rear sight leaf is broken off! Yes, they actually sent me a rifle back that has a broken rear sight leaf. And to top it off, now the receiver cover is loose. Perhaps it's related to how the rear sight leaf broke. You just can't make this kind of incompetence up. Looks like I'll be calling for another RMA tomorrow.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:48 PM   #35
EMT760

Sorry to hear that Bret. That's bullshit!

I'd say fix it yourself and move on. Century can eat a dick. Show us a picture if you can.

On that note,Century's a shaddy ass company. Research them sometime, they stole a cache of M1 garands meant for CMP and sold them. They have contact's in the international arms trade, they'll sell to anybody. Literally..