Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Krinkovs

Old 11-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #36
theAKpastor(ShortStock)
Resident Bubba

AKaholic #: 162490

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalioth View Post
The Pastor forgot about a concept called "scale" or "proportion".

The "modified Galil handguard" shown is not shown at the same scale as the pistol (it is scaled smaller).

In reality, a standard Tapco Galil "style" handguard would most likely extend past the muzzle.
okay Mr. Picky Pants... here's a better idea. it'd have to be chapped down and fitted to the gun, so i dont have the EXACT measurements of either the gun OR the handguard. i was just trying to get an idea of what it would look like... geez...

Vepr-12 | Saiga 7.62x39 | WASR 10/63 | Romanian Draco | 1951r Tula SKS | Pistol Palmetto State M4 Carbine | Palmetto State 9" Pistol build | 1945 Lee Enfield 303 | 20ga Bolt-Action | H&R 22lr Plainsman Bolt-Action | Tisas Zigana Sport 9mm | Beretta 92f Compact | Para Ordnance P14-45 Expert | Glock 22c | Glock 23 | S&W Regulation Police 38s&w | Mosin 91/30| Mossberg 500

"Вопрос не в том, кто будет препятствовать мне, это кто же остановит меня".
theAKpastor(ShortStock) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #37
theAKpastor(ShortStock)
Resident Bubba

and if you want RIDICULOUS, i can give you RIDICULOUS!

Vepr-12 | Saiga 7.62x39 | WASR 10/63 | Romanian Draco | 1951r Tula SKS | Pistol Palmetto State M4 Carbine | Palmetto State 9" Pistol build | 1945 Lee Enfield 303 | 20ga Bolt-Action | H&R 22lr Plainsman Bolt-Action | Tisas Zigana Sport 9mm | Beretta 92f Compact | Para Ordnance P14-45 Expert | Glock 22c | Glock 23 | S&W Regulation Police 38s&w | Mosin 91/30| Mossberg 500

Old 11-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #38
Rev Rob

AKaholic #: 4681

Its like when you keep asking the car salesmen how much it is and he just continues to tell you how great a car it is. Its never a good sign!
Rev Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #39
AdamP123
это мое название

AKaholic #: 154955

The retail on these is $785.00. That is what a Century rep told me. Dealer price is reasonably less, but I could not get that price because I am not a dealer.

In my opinion, these are OK, but they are definitely overpriced. One thing that I'd like to know is how many are available and planned for importation. I don't like to hear this "limited quantity" bullshit without exact numbers to back up the assertion. Otherwise, I view it is dealers and Century trying to squeeze top dollar out of their "hot new item". If these are rare like the Mini Dracos, only time will tell. For me, I'll track down a Mini Draco for $1k before I spend $700+ on a Micro.

Also, the lack of handguard and aftermarket handguard options seals the deal on this being a no-go for me.
Мне особенно нравится, когда это довольно горячей, но не так жарко, что я мог обжечься по
супер-горячего кусок пирога, а затем сожгли язык. Это может помешать мне наслаждаться
ополнительных сумм морковный пирог. Спасибо за чтение и наслаждайтесь день. С уважением, Адам
AdamP123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #40
Asmodeus
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 60954

I'd like to get my hands on one to have a closer look. That shaved down RSB? looks like it may be a good place to tap and locate a small bit of picatinny rail. That would make dropping a RDS on pretty easy. Or flat mounting an RMR.

I think a standard length lower HG would extend past the muzzle. Probably to the end of the existing flash hider.

It would most likely require a wood hand guard, and some dremel-fu to get everything where it needed to be. But I have done this recently on a small pistol build and it is not hard work. Just requires a calibrated eyeball and a steady hand. AK builder's pistol kit uses a 9" barrel and it attaches via the method I described in my last post. So I can say for certain it would need work.

I'd love to know the gas port size and see the piston / carrier. IIRC a standard carrier probably ends / in that gas block. I want to see if it's just a 'head' screwed in. Or the carrier itself was shortened.

What diameter gas hole are people using on these super short guns where the gas block basically ends .5" from the crown?
Asmodeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:27 PM   #41
WebDevDan

AKaholic #: 169570

I wanna see the guts of one and what's holding the carrier in to keep it from popping ut with such a short stroke.

One of the current GB listings has a cut down foreend rail on it. Very tiny.
WebDevDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:44 AM   #42
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebDevDan View Post
I wanna see the guts of one and what's holding the carrier in to keep it from popping ut with such a short stroke.
THese (and the mini Draco) are reported to have aftermarket recoil buffers in them to keep them together.

Such a fact should tell you from the start these are cobbled-together POS'.

It ain't the hardware - it's the man using it.

Home | AK Files Custom Search | PicPaste | ImgDump | ☎ Nalioth
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:50 AM   #43
coyotl
Banned
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 171048

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAKpastor(ShortStock) View Post
and if you want RIDICULOUS, i can give you RIDICULOUS!

i want this. where can i get one?
coyotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:13 AM   #44
theAKpastor(ShortStock)
Resident Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotl View Post
i want this. where can i get one?
they are currently being sold in this configuration on Mars... also some rare import of this setup have been spotted in the caves surrounding the Khyber mountains.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #45
Lord Ak-47
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 146144

Quote:
THese (and the mini Draco) are reported to have aftermarket recoil buffers in them to keep them together.

My Mini Draco is great, no issues with mine.
Lord Ak-47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #46
spicusor

AKaholic #: 166412

I don't know about you guys but I want one of these!
spicusor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #47
AdamP123
это мое название

Quote:

I've had two Minis and there was absolutely no sign that the bolt carrier had ever touched the rear buffer through lots of rounds - never a hiccup either. All of the Minis that I've handled were top notch. Have you owned or put rounds through a Mini? Do you have any information to back up this claim about Minis other than than fact that they have those "evil buffers"?

Also, the buffers in Minis are not "aftermarket". They are made specifically for the Minis. I don't know where you got this information, but it is 100% incorrect.

Now, don't get me wrong, these Micros look like shit, but you're way off when it comes to the Minis.
Мне особенно нравится, когда это довольно горячей, но не так жарко, что я мог обжечься по
супер-горячего кусок пирога, а затем сожгли язык. Это может помешать мне наслаждаться
ополнительных сумм морковный пирог. Спасибо за чтение и наслаждайтесь день. С уважением, Адам
Old 11-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #48
Dferg10
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 155060

Quote:

My two Mini's have no issues and work perfectly.

Last edited by Dferg10; 11-08-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Dferg10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #49
Dferg10
Bronze Contributor

I just walked in the door with my Micro. I am taking pics now and will post shortly. It is very solid. I see no problems of any kind. The FSB is not canted. The dust cover does not wobble at all, which will be good for the rear sight. The action is smooth. Mags fit perfectly with no wobble.

It is #38. It came with a little cleaning rod, a 75 rd drum, a Tapco 10 rd mag, a very clean Romanian surplus 30 rd mag, and a cleaning kit. It has a bird cage muzzle device that is not welded on and the muzzle detent pin is in place and works.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #50
Asmodeus
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 60954

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dferg10 View Post
I just walked in the door with my Micro. I am taking pics now and will post shortly. It is very solid. I see no problems of any kind. The FSB is not canted. The dust cover does not wobble at all, which will be good for the rear sight. The action is smooth. Mags fit perfectly with no wobble.

It is #38. It came with a little cleaning rod, a 75 rd drum, a Tapco 10 rd mag, a very clean Romanian surplus 30 rd mag, and a cleaning kit. It has a bird cage muzzle device that is not welded on and the muzzle detent pin is in place and works.
Please post pictures of the bolt carrier and insides! I would also like to see the BCG retracted fully while it's still in the gun.

Pix!
Asmodeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #51
Dferg10
Bronze Contributor

Old 11-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #52
Dferg10
Bronze Contributor

Old 11-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #53
Lord Ak-47
Curio & Relic

Thanks for the pictures, whats your opinion on the way the sights are set up?
Old 11-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #54
Dferg10
Bronze Contributor

I am generally not a fan of dust cover mounted sights or optics, but this cover does not move. I will see how they do when I go to the range. I hope to go next weekend.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #55
Lord Ak-47
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dferg10 View Post
I am generally not a fan of dust cover mounted sights or optics, but this cover does not move. I will see how they do when I go to the range. I hope to go next weekend.
Yeah its kind of ackward looking but I understand the concept due to the lack of RSB. A RSB would have been an ok idea for those looking to mount the after market rail system on one of these.

Anyone know if these are just made for commercial market or based off any real firearm?
Old 11-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #56
nalioth

Irons on an AK dust cover is a "problem" that really doesn't affect anything.

Physics, anyone?

Now, optics and heavy sighting devices? They've got no business being mounted on a dust cover (refer to "physics", above)

Old 11-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #57
Lord Ak-47
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Irons on an AK dust cover is a "problem" that really doesn't affect anything.

Physics, anyone?

Now, optics and heavy sighting devices? They've got no business being mounted on a dust cover (refer to "physics", above)
Good points, but I was under the impression there where a couple rails systems mounted on the RSB that worked pretty good. Just was thinking of ways some one could mount any kind of optic on one if that was in their plans.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #58
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ak-47 View Post
Good points, but I was under the impression there where a couple rails systems mounted on the RSB that worked pretty good. Just was thinking of ways some one could mount any kind of optic on one if that was in their plans.
If you want any kind of repeatable accuracy from shot to shot, you will not mount an optic to your factory AK's dust cover.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #59
Lord Ak-47
Curio & Relic

Quote:
If you want any kind of repeatable accuracy from shot to shot, you will not mount an optic to your factory AK's dust cover.
I believe the ones I refer to are mounted on the RSB into the back of the receiver. Seems like it could work, so I couldnt dismiss it entirely.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #60
HOG76
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 158773

HOG76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #61
AdamP123
это мое название

Is there a reasonable explanation as to why they went with that RSB?
Old 11-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #62
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ak-47 View Post
I believe the ones I refer to are mounted on the RSB into the back of the receiver. Seems like it could work, so I couldnt dismiss it entirely.
Hinged AK dust covers (on factory AKs) are really just a decimal point on the population (of AKs) scale.

Yes, they make a better platform for mounting things to, but again, standard dust covers are found on the majority of AKs in the world.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #63
Dave Williams
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163660

So by the looks of it even with a buffer the piston exits the rsb upon recoil. Doesn't seem like a very reliable design.....
Dave Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:16 PM   #64
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
So by the looks of it even with a buffer the piston exits the rsb upon recoil. Doesn't seem like a very reliable design.....
The buffer isn't there to keep the piston in the RSB.

The buffer is there to keep the BCG from hopping out of the receiver.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #65
Dferg10
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
The buffer isn't there to keep the piston in the RSB.

The buffer is there to keep the BCG from hopping out of the receiver.
This^. You have to take out the buffer to remove the carrier from the back of the rails.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:59 AM   #66
theAKpastor(ShortStock)
Resident Bubba

hey Dferg10, id really like to see a pic of the micro up next to the mini for size comparison. it doesnt look a whole heck of a lot smaller than the mini just lookin at it. maybe im wrong...

and btw, you STILL have the coolest lookin Mini SBR ive ever seen...

Old 11-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #67
Dferg10
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAKpastor(ShortStock) View Post
hey Dferg10, id really like to see a pic of the micro up next to the mini for size comparison. it doesnt look a whole heck of a lot smaller than the mini just lookin at it. maybe im wrong...

and btw, you STILL have the coolest lookin Mini SBR ive ever seen...
Thanks AKP. Here you go: Draco, Mini, Micro

Last edited by Dferg10; 11-09-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #68
Dferg10
Bronze Contributor

Mini Draco and Micro Draco

Old 11-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #69
Lord Ak-47
Curio & Relic

Great picture of the family.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #70
Dferg10
Bronze Contributor

Thanks Lord Ak. I am working on a handguard today. I am going to cut this old surplus Romanian handguard down to just behind the fsb. I have a bolt-on retainer inbound that should arrive Tuesday. I swapped out the pistol grip with another newer one I had in my box of parts.