Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old 09-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
trekkerpaul

AKaholic #: 170288
Default detent pin width

Can I get some of you AK people to measure your AK rifle's detent pin width and post that number here please. Model of rifle would be needed as well. I am putting together some numbers for a company that makes them already, but theirs is on the small side compared to original parts or at least for my original parts. It will help them improve the product and the muzzle devices they make that go with them. This is for a USA manufacturer. Thanks in advance.

Mine:

My MAK90 factory pin is .164
SAR detent hole is .160
trekkerpaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
trekkerpaul

Come on people, this is for CNC warrior so they can dial in a few things for their muzzle devices. It wont take but a minute to get me an OD on your factory detent pin.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

Standard euro plunger>

Diameter = .153" +/-
length = .488"-491" +/-

Yugo

diameter = .153"
length = .625"
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
Hounds 51
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 166447

Lost one and had to make one out of drill bits, no big deal.
Hounds 51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBLUE View Post
Standard euro plunger>

Diameter = .153" +/-
length = .488"-491" +/-

Yugo

diameter = .153"
length = .625"
Are those numbers switched around?

The numbers I have for the Soviet muzzle plunger are

diameter = 4.0 mm

length = 16.0 mm (milled receiver) 12.5 mm (AKM)

material, "steel 50" = 1050 steel

hardness = 37 to 44 C Rockwell (for 7.62x39 models)

(39 to 45.5 C Rockwell for 5.45 models)

each end of the pin has a 45 degree taper, 0.3 mm long

Last edited by allesennogwat; 09-23-2013 at 01:13 PM.
allesennogwat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

^ No..., your numbers directly correlate to what I posted +/-.003". Chinese are the same diameter. Postinc metric numbers is just not as simple for most folks to respond to.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

I just glanced at the Soviet numbers and it looked like the length you measured for the Yugo. Oh i see what I did. One was 12.0 mm and one was 16.0 mm.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

I got the 12.0 mm from converting your numbers I think. Both Soviet versions look like they are 16.0 mm. I corrected my numbers.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Doh! OK., I'll go measure a Russian AKM vs Polish and Romanian as measured above.
1973 soviet AKM.,diameter = .492" +/-.

Last edited by AKBLUE; 09-23-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

The long one is for the milled receiver, RPK, AK-74 and RPK-74. The short one is for the AKM.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

I first looked a combined manual that only showed the milled receiver version. I had to find an AKM only manual for the shorter one. I knew the AKM was shorter than the AK-74 but I wasn't sure than the AK-74 and milled receiver ones are the same length but slightly different hardness specs.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #12
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by allesennogwat View Post
The long one is for the milled receiver, RPK, AK-74 and RPK-74. The short one is for the AKM.
That sounds right.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #13
Wondertwin
Dem Fokkers was Messerschmidts!

AKaholic #: 161050

Off topic, but I made one out of an old drill bit once. Wish I could remember the size!
Wondertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #14
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondertwin View Post
Off topic, but I made one out of an old drill bit once. Wish I could remember the size!
5/32 drill bit = .156"

Easy to fab several from a bit shank. Easiest part on an AM to fabricate at home. It helps to have an original one to copy the component pin relief cut though.

Last edited by AKBLUE; 09-23-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #15
Wondertwin
Dem Fokkers was Messerschmidts!

AKaholic #: 161050

Quote:
Easy to fab several from a bit shank. Easiest part on an AM to fabricate at hoe. It helps to have an original one to copy the component pin relief cut though.
Agreed, and I did!

I used a dremel with a cut-off disc to carve it out.
Wondertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #16
gunnerdog
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 155365

I am in the process of assembling an AKS74U and it appears that the locking pin that holds the upper handguard is missing And I can't find an on line source for an illustrated parts break down so that I can fabricate one or buy one.Any help will be appreciated..
gunnerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #17
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerdog View Post
I am in the process of assembling an AKS74U and it appears that the locking pin that holds the upper handguard is missing And I can't find an on line source for an illustrated parts break down so that I can fabricate one or buy one.Any help will be appreciated..
You mean the pin that retains the gas tube? Are you missing the plunger and the cross pin that holds the plunger? There are some diagrams that show the pins and parts but not in their position or how they are assembled. They are not shown in the larger overall parts diagrams that show the parts placement.

The plunger has a larger diameter head on it. I'm not sure I have much info on its retaining pin but I think I have a drawing of the plunger pin. I'm trying to remember how the thing is assembled.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #18
gunnerdog
Curio & Relic

I have a pin of some sort with a large head that fits the hole.I thought it might be the cover hinge pin.If indeed it is the pin to hold the upper handguard then I need to know what parts go to the cover hinge..
Old 09-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #19
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerdog View Post
I have a pin of some sort with a large head that fits the hole.I thought it might be the cover hinge pin.If indeed it is the pin to hold the upper handguard then I need to know what parts go to the cover hinge..
I'm trying to remember if it has another cross pin. Maybe the cover keeps it from falling out. The pin gets a spring in the hole.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #20
gunnerdog
Curio & Relic

I was just watching some youtubes and a brief glimpse of the cover hinge shows a roll pin so if I can find a correct size I think that will be good to go.As to the plunger pin arrangement I will be guessing about that for a while yet..
Old 09-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #21
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

If I remember correctly (and I might not) The head goes towards the rear and a spring goes in the hinge block followed by the plunger and then the cover is installed with a pin that is riveted on both ends similar to the magazine lever pin.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #22
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

The manual I have that shows the plunger also has the RPK-74 also. There are two pins with heads. One has a retainer slot / notch. If that's it, the head goes forward and a pin across the hinge block retains it. Maybe the cover pin?
Old 09-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #23
gunnerdog
Curio & Relic

Not sure until I can see one all put together.Thanks for the help,I'll have night mares until I get this sorted out..
Old 09-25-2013, 11:18 PM   #24
trekkerpaul

Thanks for the help identifying the sizes guys. I am going to forward this info on to the manufacturer. It might be my mak90 factory pin that is the odd ball size, but one of the two US made devices I bought had a detent/plunger notch that was not wide enough and neither of them had anything close to a full extension of the detent pin depth. Keep them coming too. The info they have the better job they can do making them for us.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:56 AM   #25
dbsmokey

AKaholic #: 173117

The detent pin http://http://www.cncwarrior.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=23294 I purchased won't pass down the hole. I am also unable to pass a 5/32" drill bit down the hole for the detent on my Zastava Pap M77. I can twist it down, but not push. Does anybody think it would be ok to gently clean the hole out with the drill bit on a drill? Thanks.
dbsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:51 AM   #26
trekkerpaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsmokey View Post
The detent pin http://http://www.cncwarrior.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=23294 I purchased won't pass down the hole. I am also unable to pass a 5/32" drill bit down the hole for the detent on my Zastava Pap M77. I can twist it down, but not push. Does anybody think it would be ok to gently clean the hole out with the drill bit on a drill? Thanks.
I actually have done exactly that using a smaller than the hole size carbide bit to clean off the burrs from the front sight pin holes on a couple rifles I was threading and adding a detent pin back on to. It worked well. Detent pin should move freely with spring behind it.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:05 AM   #27
Rforbus
Forum Bosche
Vendor

AKaholic #: 73701

I don't know if you need this dimension but here it is for the 7,62 x 39 AK, AKM, RPK, and 7,62 x 54R PSL: Center of barrel bore to center of detent hole in front sight block - 10,5mm (0.413")

I have drilled a few of these for PSL rifles - that's why I remember. I finish the hole with drill size 4,0mm (0.1575") and it seems to work fine. The clearance is applied to the pin as it is always slightly under perfect size.

DbsMonkey, if you can push the drill bit into the hole it should be fine to carefully turn it with a drill motor. Just make sure that the spring; or a piece of the spring is not hiding in there. Also the rear dowel pin may be exposed if the detent hole was drilled too deep. You do not want to hit this pin with your drill bit.

Ing. Robert Forbus, International
Tools & Solutions For The Safe Disassembly & Assembly Of Your Kalashnikova Variant
Email - Robert.Forbus@robertforbus.com
Please do not use the PM system here to contact me!
Website - https://www.robertforbus.com

Tennessee Firearms Association member
Gun Owners of America member
N̶R̶A̶ ̶M̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ (that's right - those mofos sold us out)
Patriot Guard Rider

Ignorance is the absence of knowledge...Stupidity is a commitment to ignorance. The first is easily remedied with facts...The second cannot be fixed...
Rforbus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:13 AM   #28
dbsmokey

Thank you. The detent pin will slide in just to about the point it reaches the sight cross pin hole (the sight pin has been removed.) With the drill bit and pin, I can feel something that resists passing the pin any further. I will try to gently remove the burrs with a drill.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:45 PM   #29
dbsmokey

The drill worked like a charm. Detent and muzzle brake are now installed. Thanks for the advice!