Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Ammunition

Old 06-04-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
ewsniper
Contributor

AKaholic #: 165494
Default Persian 8mm Mauser ammo in stock. Worth it?

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the old Persian 8mm Mauser surplus ammo. J&G seems to have it in stock for a decent price:

http://www.jgsales.com/8mm-mauser-pe...e.-p-6817.html

It says to expect "hangfires/duds" Is it worth getting a cheap Mauser rifle and investing in this caliber for "plinking" fun? I realize that I would never want to use this ammo for self-defense due to reliability. I am just talking about using it for target practice.

Anyone have any experience with this ammo?
ewsniper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
77patriots
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 106007

I understand it to be corrosive as hell ( just an FYI) circa 1950's I believe
GOVERNMENT BY THE CONSENT OF THE GOVERNED

God please save our Constitutional Republic and the Rule of Law, and please pray for Peace
GOD BLESS AMERICA,GOD SAVE THE RULE OF LAW

The MEDIA Is a WEAPON of MASS DISTORTION

truth found here-http://whatreallyhappened.com/

YOU NEED: to see this/Share this: The most important history lesson
http://youtu.be/5hfEBupAeo4
Beware the dual citizen
Zohar 1160a
77patriots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
Goodoleboy
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 14353

That is some pretty old surplus. Always remember that pictures can be decieving and some of the ammo may be in pretty rough shape. The price is pretty cheap for 8mm (less than 7.62X39 now). I've never shot any Persian stuff in my Mauser, but as the seller says, I wouldn't expect every round to go bang. Duds and hang-fires a pain, but as long as this is just range ammo, it's not that big a deal, as long as you realize the potential for hang-fires.

As you probably know, if it doesn't go boom after the firing pin strikes the primer, don't try to extract the round immedaitely or you might get an out of battery detination (which could cause serious injury or death). I would wait 30 seconds or so and if the round didn't fire, I would extract it.

"I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists." - Abraham Lincoln's 1st inaugural address... and yet we teach our children to call him "Honest Abe."

"I have a terrible headache" - Franklin Delano Roosevelt's last words before dying of a stroke

"Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees" - Last words of Stonewall Jackson
Goodoleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
ewsniper
Contributor

AKaholic #: 165494

Thanks for the input. They say 1930's production to be exact. That is some really old ammo. But being cheaper than 7.62x39 it is certainly tempting.

SOG has 8mm Mausers for $200 plus shipping. I think it might be a better alternative than the cheap Steyr 95/34 rifles in 8x56R caliber that is impossible to find. The rifle is half the price, but will only make a wall hanger if you can't find ammo to shoot out of it!
ewsniper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
UrbanSi

AKaholic #: 168589

Big thing with the Mauser is the firing pin strength, check out all the reviews on Midway after people up'd their spring to 22 or 24 lbs.

My brother had some light primer strikes on some surplus ammo from the 50's(about 1 out of 4), might have even been the Persian stuff, swap out the spring and it all works.
UrbanSi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
boomer4570

AKaholic #: 5199

One thing to check with ALL MilSurp rifles...break down the bolt assembly and clean THOROUGHLY. Importers MIGHT clean the cosmoline off of the outside...VERY RARELY do they clean the bolt, and the cosmoline acts like a really good glue. A good bolt breakdown and a good cleaning might preclude the need for a new firing pin spring.

"I'm Super-cereal, It's man-bear-pig. Half man, half bear, half pig."
Al Gore: South Park
boomer4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
akaf47

AKaholic #: 164645

It's a good price for that ammo. You'll get some duds but still worth it for the price I think.
akaf47 is offline   Reply With Quote