Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > General Rifle Discussion

Old 08-27-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
Arkan

AKaholic #: 5923
Post FMP XG3 Portuguese copy of HK G3 question?

I bought this rilfe used and everything looked great. When I got the rifle home, I took it apart. I noticed part of the trigger housing looked smashed up. What do you guys think? What happened to it? All I want is that it shoot. Tuesday I take in to the range.
Arkan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 04:40 PM   #2
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

A lot of H&K trigger housings get switched.Some for the plastics ones,some for the metal ones from full auto rifles modified to fit the semi auto receivers.That part is cheap and easy to replace.I can't tell much from your pic.Does the rear of the housing go under both rear retaining pins?The 223 and 9 mm housings will fit but are shorter under the buttstock in the rear.Take a pic from the side and stand the safety lever straight up and pull it out.Then lift the FCG out of the trigger housing.
allesennogwat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 04:42 PM   #3
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

The Portuguese XG2 receiver is a full auto stamping with the trigger housing shelf welded to it.It may not fit as tightly as a Germaan HK91 but I bet it only has extra play due to how the trigger housing is made for semi auto.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:44 PM   #4
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

Take a pic of the front side view of the cocking tube above the barrel at it's front end.The tapered ones are the newer style,the straight wide ones are the old design that was used by the Portuguese military.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:16 PM   #5
Arkan

All serial#s match. The trigger housing serial# matchs.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:33 PM   #6
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

That looks like the original semi auto trigger housing.I think somebody was trying tighten up the fit when they converted the rifle from thumbhole to standard stock.They might have used one of those buttstocks from a parts kits that had a lot of play.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:59 PM   #7
Arkan

Thumbs down

I cleaned it and took it to the range. I only pulled the trigger about 40 times and about half the time all I heard was click. I was not happy. I tried two different kinds of commercial ammo and four different mags. On the rounds that did not fire I noticed that the firing pin did not leave a mark or other times just a small mark that was not even noticeable.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:56 PM   #8
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

Okay,on the G-3 the bolt must go all the way in to battery for the firing pin to move forward.I wonder if your rifle is factory or built from a kit.Clean the roller locking area in the receiver and clean and oil the locking piece in the bolt.It's a bit tricky if you aren't used to the G3.The Argentine 308 ammo would jam up a G3 as will some Russian ammo.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:13 PM   #9
Arkan

I think the rifle was factory built. The receiver has the stamping Made in portugal Pars internaional Louisille, KY cal 308. On the other side XG3S FMP 0027XX 3/89.
I cleaned the rifle before I shot it. I just noticed that some times when I pull back on the cocking handle and release it the bolt does not go all the way in to battery. I think that could be the problem. If that is the problem what should one do? Should I return it?
I was shooting Wolf and Sellier and Bellot ammo. Also, I have a JLD PTR91 G3 and I shot the same ammo and there was not the same amount of problems that I am having with the XG3S FMP.

Last edited by Arkan; 08-30-2006 at 01:34 AM.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:32 AM   #10
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

Make sure the cocking handle moves freely.Check the receiver for straightness and dents.It's usually a dirty chamber/trunnion that keeps ot from firing.Can be a dented receiver/cocking tube.Is the S&B ammo brass cased?They made steel cased 308 in the 1960's that was corrosive but usually wasn't marked S&B but was made by them with a year like 1968.The Argentine and Wolf ammo will jam up a G3 in a very short time.Clean the chamber and trunnion!!!!If it's still messed up you may want to return it.It us one of the best G3's but it might be damaged.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:42 PM   #11
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2036

A dirty trunnion can definitely cause problems, the rollers cannot fully extend into their recesses if carbon is caked in there. Carb or brake cleaner with the little tube to direct the spray works well, shoot some in through the ejection port and try to soak the whole trunnion innards. A bent hard steel wire or a couple dental picks work well for scraping out hardened deposits. E&L makes a nice stainless steel brush specially designed to clean the chamber face, they sell a $25 kit that includes the brush, a special rod, and a square brush for cleaning out the receiver itself. #590.

http://www.brasscatchers.com/store/b...l#Anchor-51540

Speaking of cleaning, make sure the firing pin hole is clean and the spring is not broken and binding things up.

Another possibility is a weak recoil spring. The proper way to load an HK is to retract the cocking handle and lock it to the rear by shoving the handle into the cutout in the cocking tube. Insert a loaded magazine and load the first round by slapping the handle down out of the cutout with your left palm. This gives maximum travel and velocity to the bolt carrier. If it is not fully closing using this procedure, but you can coax it fully closed by manually pushing the carrier forward, I would replace the recoil spring.

Another possibility is excessive bolt gap. This is a measurement of how much roller engagement is occurring when the bolt is closed. After ensuring the trunnion is clean, drop the bolt on an empty chamber and drop the hammer by pulling the trigger. From the magwell, try to insert a feeler guage between the rear of the bolt and the front of the carrier. A properly functioning rifle should have a gap of between .012" and .020", the wider gap being better as the gap closes up with wear. However, a gap wider than .020" may cause problems as the firing pin is in the bolt and the wider gap means the carrier is further rearward. Less firing pin sticking out the back for the hammer to hit.

Finally, the cocking handle is attached to an internal piece that rides inside the cocking tube. There should be a very slight gap between the end of the carrier tube and the rear of this piece when the handle is forward. If the carrier hits this piece, it can hold it rearward, causing excessive bolt gap and reduced firing pin protrusion at the rear of the carrier.
KernelKrink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:23 PM   #12
Arkan

Question

I returned the rifle and the seller said "Since I had some 7.62 NATO and .308 Winchester ammo (1980sHXP Greek, 1983 MF Australian, and some Winchester 150 grain stuff) in the car, I drove out to the range. I arranged a chair on the bench to serve as a brass catcher and blazed away. There were no bobbles at this end and I did notice that the butt stock was a little loose and had developed a little lateral play. Conceivably, this could cause the recoil spring guide rod to foul the bolt carrier, but that is a real long shot. Bottom line, the rifle works," Why it work for him and not for me? I don't understand? Ammo problem? He said he can send it back to me or I can get my money back, minus shipping.

Last edited by Arkan; 09-14-2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:46 PM   #13
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

Some ammo won't work in the G3.Some I can think of are Argentine and Wolf(and some old corrosive Czech ammo).The buttstock is loose because it's a very used from a parts kit most likely.They are easy to replace.Finding a tight one isn't so easy but some are very tight.That rifle originally came with a thumbhole stock and somebody put a parts kit buttstock on it.I don't know how weel the US made trigger parts work in G3's.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:02 PM   #14
ColonelKorn
Dick

AKaholic #: 6198

According to friends in Special Forces who served in Iran in the 70's (Iran issued G3's to their soldiers then) G3's and their copies are piles of garbage. Don't let them get dirty. If you are going to use one under civilian conditions, thopugh, you will probably be ok.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:42 PM   #15
Arkan

Really ColonelKorn they are garbage? I don't know. I just thought they were a good rifle.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:55 PM   #16
ColonelKorn
Dick

According to all the guys I have known who have actually had in-the-field experience with them, they are a jam waiting to happen. I wanted one for years and years until I was enlightened. Not saying this to rain on your parade. Most H&K weapons are without equal. The G3 just happens to be an exception
Old 09-16-2006, 08:04 PM   #17
Arkan

Well that stinks. The last several months I have been thinking of nothing but the HK91. I bought a JLD PTR91 G3 but I have been looking for the real deal HK91. Those babies go for about two grand. Maybe, I should forget it.
What then is a good battle rifle? Only the AK-47? The FN FAL?
Old 09-16-2006, 11:02 PM   #18
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

I prefer the FAL but the G3 will keep going when it's full or sand that would stop an FAL cold.The G3 is cheaper to make and requires fewer replacement parts.I never did care for the balance of the G3.The magazine takes longer to change.The G3 has the absolute best 308 magazine design tough.Double thickness feed lips and hard chrome followers.With proper ammo they work well.Keep them moiled.The receivers are just painted.The inside parts aren't park'd.The barrel is non chrome lined.Once you get used to the sights they are fast on target.While 7.62 BATO ammo is suppose to be interchangeable the countries that issue the G3 usually use cleaner burning ammo or faster burning powder in the ammo that the countries that issue the FAL.In full auto the G3 has a lower rate of fire than the FAL.The Greek Army has G3's and heavy barrel HK11's but the Greek Marines have FAL's and heavy barrel FALO's.The navy is a big deal in Greece but the arny is mostly guys doing their required service.It's interesting that they chose rifles that can'tt interchange magazines.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:09 AM   #19
bushman
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 3819

I've heard the opposite from others who used it "in the field". They all say the rifle is reliable, accurate, and takes lots of abuse.
bushman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:27 AM   #20
Buckxo

AKaholic #: 5920

ColonelKorn,

I've been on the receiving end of the Iranian G3 in Iraq in the last 8 months, and let me tell you, they function flawlessly. I kept a captured one in my M1025 and it never had a problem with function even after at least 500 rds before cleaning (no telling how many rds went through it before me and the boys got ahold of them. They actually look very well made, but the ones we captured always had mucho outside finish wear, but the welds, parts fit and everything else looked as good as the German and Greek EBO's I have in my safe.

Your mileage may vary...
Buckxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:40 AM   #21
ColonelKorn
Dick

All my info came from someone's experiences back in the late 70's, so there may be more to it than quality. No telling how old the rifles in question were , and no telling how much maintenance they received while in the field.
The person who gave me the info spent 16 days dodging bad guys in Iran prior to the fall of the Shah, and I highly value his opinion concerning the weapons he has had experience with. Maybe more field reports would be helpful, as I wanted a G3 sooooo badly before I had that discussion with him.
Civilians should not have any problems with a properly assembled weapon, even those from kits, because it's much more convenient to clean a weapon when someone is not shooting at you. I think keeping the weapon clean is a good way to ensure reliability. Some just require a little more TLC than others.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:06 PM   #22
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

http://mwdg3.homestead.com/g3misc.html
Old 09-17-2006, 01:25 PM   #23
Buckxo

AKaholic #: 5920

That is a really great link that has been up for many years now.

I bought my first HK, a 93 in 1984 and it blossomed from there.

After that, SA started bringing in the Greek EBO's marked G3, one which I have kept. With that said, I did not stop and now have several all Greek receiver
SAR-3, several SAR-3/8 and several SAR-8's.

We have gotten way off subject here.
Buckxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 02:18 PM   #24
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

I wonder if it has a 9mm MP5 hammer spring in it or even if the parts were changed for US parts.You should be able to switch trigger housings and buttstocks with your other rifle.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:49 PM   #25
Mandaree36
2nd Class Member

AKaholic #: 4562

Personally I would walk away from the rifle, if your having problems with it then why bother buying something that you will need to possibly repair. Unless of course the price is super cheap. Otherwise there are better, properly, assembled ones out there to try.

I was wondering were you there with him when he was doing the shooting without malfunctions?

I wont check my religious beliefs at the door....to accomodate you - nor will I apologize for them...

приедьте и получите некоторых Вы трусы
Mandaree36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:52 AM   #26
Arkan

I was not there when he did the shooting. I told him to keep the rifle and give me a refund.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:14 AM   #27
Mandaree36
2nd Class Member

AKaholic #: 4562

Smart move. No sense in buying someone else's troubles.

I wont check my religious beliefs at the door....to accomodate you - nor will I apologize for them...

приедьте и получите некоторых Вы трусы
Mandaree36 is online now   Reply With Quote