Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gear & Accessories

Old 02-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
irierider
Burning Liberals

AKaholic #: 159069
Default Offical-ish Targetman's AR500 plate set thread.. post pics, questions, reviews please

I just unboxed these an hour ago, I have not gotten my Beez carrier to do a full review but i will once I get it. I was pissed to see the lack of reviews and pictures on here for all these peoples hard work.
First off, my mail lady was laughing at how heavy the "flat rate box" was with 2 sets in it.
Second the Rhinoline is thick, they really stepped up and did it extra well, also softer than i thought it would be which will at to the dampening of shots and less edges to wear on the carrier.
Third I like the overall thinness of these, even though they look like a heavy beast they are thin, and i plan to add some thin material to the back of the plates or the carrier to make them less painful if they get used.
I can say i will be going for some runs with these under my coat to get an idea of the weight. I have to say the weight out weighs (no pun intended) the thickness aspect and I really am glad I went this route, if only they were level IV.
People really need to get in on this second group buy, I am glad I got a pair for each of me and the misses
unboxing of them, packed well, but not too overboard on the materials... i like that!

the side plate, showing just how thick this lining is all the way to the sides!!

the front/back plate are identical, and you can see just how uniform the coating and bend is, top notch work all around.

side of the main plates are just as thick, look at the massive ridge of rhinoline, Im sure it'll catch those very edge hits just fine!

this is another side shot, look at all the rhino, I mean wow.. thats the best thing about them is all that to catch the spalling, the only reason some dont like steel plates...

and the total package... I cant wait for the carrier

more to be added once i get my carriers!

thank you for all that put this together

please comment, leave feedback, link and post this anywhere youd like... I will be adding to it

"Oath" Krink shirt and the "I Built This" shirts with AK47 type 3 silhouette CHECK EM OUT!!
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1772178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnailed Saint View Post
These tards have been letting a lot of lead fly in front of my house. Two vehicles shooting at each other like negroid jousters aboard hoopty steeds.

Last edited by irierider; 02-11-2013 at 12:44 AM.
irierider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
Rollthelosingdice
Banned

AKaholic #: 158581

I'm glad I got in on it, I'll be doing some running with mine also!
Rollthelosingdice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
Cy4ka
Banned

AKaholic #: 158050

I got mine too. It's basically exactly what I thought it would be. Awesome. That's my review. No need to say more. Mine even came with a chart for when they tested a representative plate set.
Cy4ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
plouffedaddy
AKaholic

AKaholic #: 161751

I'm unfamiliar with these... Are they actually made out of AR500 steel or is that just the name?
Old 02-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
Naga1337

AKaholic #: 118653

Quote:
Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
I'm unfamiliar with these... Are they actually made out of AR500 steel or is that just the name?
They are actually AR500 steel. My set appears to be exactly the same as the above reviewed (two curved front and back plates, two 6"x6" side plates,) and it weighs in at just under 21 lbs.

I stuck it in my Eagle Plate Carrier and Cummerbund, and have been wearing it quite a bit lately, just to see what it is like. The plate carrier fits significantly better than it did without the plates, and even though it's a relatively thick tactical-style carrier, it still conceals relatively well under a stadium jacket. I'll be trying it under a trench coat at some point in the near future.

The only downside is that it starts to dig into your shoulders after a couple of hours, but with my HSGI Shoulder Pads, it isn't too bad. Just leaves big red marks there after you take it off.
Naga1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
plouffedaddy
AKaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga1337 View Post
They are actually AR500 steel. My set appears to be exactly the same as the above reviewed (two curved front and back plates, two 6"x6" side plates,) and it weighs in at just under 21 lbs.

I stuck it in my Eagle Plate Carrier and Cummerbund, and have been wearing it quite a bit lately, just to see what it is like. The plate carrier fits significantly better than it did without the plates, and even though it's a relatively thick tactical-style carrier, it still conceals relatively well under a stadium jacket. I'll be trying it under a trench coat at some point in the near future.

The only downside is that it starts to dig into your shoulders after a couple of hours, but with my HSGI Shoulder Pads, it isn't too bad. Just leaves big red marks there after you take it off.
Thanks for clearing that up but that brings me to the reason why I thought "these can't actually be AR500 steel..."

When I shoot my steel plates the fragments go in all directions including straight up and down along the axis of the plates (you can see the little trench they make in the ground as evidence). As these plates are slightly rounded if you were to take a round to the top portion of the plate I would think the fragments would come right up and impact your skull under your chin....

Am I way off here?

For a slow motion video of what I'm referring to, see the video below starting around 1:10:

Old 02-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
mrabolli

AKaholic #: 3192

You are correct plouffdaddy. We had a thread on this a few months back. I recommended to that person then that they must wrap soft kevlar around any steel plate or suffer possible spall into the neck/chin.

Attention NSA: You have forfeited your right to be called an American in any of the ways the great men who founded this country would have recognized. Your as creepy as a guy rifling through a lady's purse.
mrabolli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
Naga1337

AKaholic #: 118653

The plates have Rhino Liner on them to catch the spall. There are a few videos of it in action on Youtube, and I think there was a video in the previous group buy thread, as well.

If someone were looking for a source for kevlar to reduce spall with a steel plate, I seem to recall reading that automotive air bags are made of kevlar, and could be cut and sewn to shape to contain the plates.
Naga1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
irierider
Burning Liberals

Quote:
The plates have Rhino Liner on them to catch the spall. There are a few videos of it in action on Youtube, and I think there was a video in the previous group buy thread, as well.

If someone were looking for a source for kevlar to reduce spall with a steel plate, I seem to recall reading that automotive air bags are made of kevlar, and could be cut and sewn to shape to contain the plates.
thats why i spent so much detail on the pics of the rhinoliner so that you could see just how well they are coated edge to edge... also if these were the last set you were to ever own, mad max style... then it would be nice to have the toughest... down the line i plan to get a set of level IV ceramic to try them out as well, but for a deal like this i couldnt pass it up..
these look amazing!

"Oath" Krink shirt and the "I Built This" shirts with AK47 type 3 silhouette CHECK EM OUT!!

Quote:
These tards have been letting a lot of lead fly in front of my house. Two vehicles shooting at each other like negroid jousters aboard hoopty steeds.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
Slick
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 5541

Quote:
The plates have Rhino Liner on them to catch the spall.
Does anyone know how many coats of Rhino Liner are needed to catch spall? Thanks.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
HWI
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 161546

Quote:
Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
Thanks for clearing that up but that brings me to the reason why I thought "these can't actually be AR500 steel..."

When I shoot my steel plates the fragments go in all directions including straight up and down along the axis of the plates (you can see the little trench they make in the ground as evidence). As these plates are slightly rounded if you were to take a round to the top portion of the plate I would think the fragments would come right up and impact your skull under your chin....

Am I way off here?
Fragmenting and spalling are definitely an issue with raw steel plates, generally people wrap them in kevlar to solve this issue, but the Rhino Lining gets the job done and is more permanent.

Here's a good video comparing a raw plate to a coated plate:

HWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #12
plouffedaddy
AKaholic

I missed the earlier thread. Good info here. Learned something new today for sure...
Old 02-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #13
irierider
Burning Liberals

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWI View Post
Fragmenting and spalling are definitely an issue with raw steel plates, generally people wrap them in kevlar to solve this issue, but the Rhino Lining gets the job done and is more permanent.

Here's a good video comparing a raw plate to a coated plate:

and tuffgrip is crap compared to rhino...

Quote:
Old 02-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #14
HWI
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by irierider View Post
and tuffgrip is crap compared to rhino...
The stuff in the video is Rhino Lining, read the video description.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #15
requiem
Pre-banned

AKaholic #: 54234

sole reason i ordered these was because of the lining.

...price was a reason, too.

can't wait to get em.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #16
Cy4ka
Banned

AKaholic #: 158050

Best buy out there.
Cy4ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #17
irierider
Burning Liberals

The title says tuffgrip tho...

Quote:
Old 02-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #18
HWI
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by irierider View Post
The title says tuffgrip tho...
Yeah, I think that may be a type of Rhino Lining or something, not sure, basing that off the video description.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #19
irierider
Burning Liberals

oh i was thinking of this tough something they sell at homedepot you spray on...

Quote:
Old 02-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #20
Max24

AKaholic #: 166757

Very informative and detailed review. Keep it up!

Thanks for posting
Max24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #21
georgem

AKaholic #: 5406

in one of the two group buy threads, forgot which one, Targetman said they were rhino coated by a local guy (to him).
georgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #22
irierider
Burning Liberals

yes there are rhino liners all around the US, this was one of them... its a rhino liner place

Quote:
Old 02-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #23
Renov8
Pax Americana-Invicta

AKaholic #: 122038
Default Ar500 Steel group buy

The group buy for these steel plates is going on now.

We have planty of plates to go around if you have any interest.

Go to the 2nd Body Armor Group Buy thread and check out the info located in the first post.

If you want a set, the coupon code has been copied onto the first post for your use.

Let your friends know as well.

This GB will end on Feb 15th.

Don't wait to long.

Renov8
"The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, pull back the curtains, and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
-- Frank Zappa

Quo Vadis?
Renov8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #24
irierider
Burning Liberals

^ i told a few people, but seems people are tapped form the panic... glad i got my 2 sets, man i cant wait for the carrier, talked to beez and they said just waiting on the side plates!!
all i need to do is make some pads...
how about some pics/posts/reviews peeps

Quote:
Old 02-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #25
Cheeop

AKaholic #: 158974

Just got my plates. Finish is awesome and shape is great. Easy to shoulder rifle. I didn't go with the beez as I already had a multicam condor modop carrier. It was supposed to be able to handle 6x9 side plates and it barely does. About a half inch of Velcro holding it shut. Should have done 6x6. Also the shape of the front and back plate doesn't match the shape of the carrier so the plates don't go all the way up to the collar of the carrier. Still works fine just not a perfect fit so i have about an inch or two of plate pocket that's empty at the top. Overall very happy with both. This is My first plate set and its heavier loaded out than I was expecting.
Cheeop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #26
Renov8
Pax Americana-Invicta

AKaholic #: 122038

Still have afew sets left to go.

Lets get these plates sold and move on to the next GB.

Got some neat things in the wings....

Artech Design...
"The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, pull back the curtains, and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
-- Frank Zappa

Quo Vadis?
Renov8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:22 AM   #27
mrabolli

AKaholic #: 3192

how much?

Attention NSA: You have forfeited your right to be called an American in any of the ways the great men who founded this country would have recognized. Your as creepy as a guy rifling through a lady's purse.
mrabolli is online now   Reply With Quote