Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Old 01-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
hellayella8888
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 164345
Default Cerakote an AK rifle

i'm thinking of getting a rifle cerakoted in the future, but the nearest certified cerakoter is MOA Armory and they primarily deal with AR-15s, I don't want them to booger up my gun so pls advise....

1) do these guys disassemble the whole gun and remove parts (if they are AR guys i'm sure some of them don't know how)

2) or are just the outer visible/finishable parts cerakoted and not the internals..

those that have insight, pls help along with those that got their guns CERAKOTED...no other finishes pls
hellayella8888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
crispy1

AKaholic #: 162736

If there are worth their salt...they completely disassemble and finish every part. Blast, clean, degrease and spray.

Check our Metaloy. They do their own proprietary finish called TactiKote. www.originalmetaloy.com
crispy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
buffalo

AKaholic #: 5722

I don't have any experience with any companies but i recently used Cerakote myself on a AK build and love how it turned out,i used to use Duracoat but like how the Cerakote went on and looks compared to Duracoat. I used the kind that air dries and hit it with a heatgun after spraying to flash it off. If it's prepped good you should like the final finish.
buffalo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
kotengu

AKaholic #: 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispy1 View Post
If there are worth their salt...they completely disassemble and finish every part. Blast, clean, degrease and spray.

Check our Metaloy. They do their own proprietary finish called TactiKote. www.originalmetaloy.com
Yes, but to what point? Surely they don't press off the gas block, rear sight block, and press out the barrel? That would be the "best" way to refinish, but probably not very realistic for a commercial company.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:32 AM   #5
hellayella8888
Curio & Relic

ok, this is the problem..the nearest CERAKOTER guys are all AR guys, so i'm thinking should I just have the parts disassembled so they don't FUG things up....(this CERAKOTING will be done before rifle is assembled

here's what I will do: (AK-74 kit)

receiver NDS2EZ
barrel/trunnion populated
handguard/gas tube
bolt carrier

OR)))))))))))

get the build done and parkerized, (I heard CERAKOTE adheres better to park)
then take the whole thing and have them disassemble it (i'm scared they may bungle the parts
up since they are unfamiliar with the AK platform) the AK cerakoter is in SD county, why the nearest
CERAKOTER is in my neighborhood...worth it to prob make a 2 hour drive up to SD from LA???

come on guys help me think, i'm confused, i don't want to spend $250 and things will be messed up
Old 01-28-2013, 05:04 AM   #6
pearlwhitemike
Freedom loving American

AKaholic #: 164227

Save some money and do it yourself!

I think they're both fine options as far as having it done, but I would make the 2 hour drive to have it done by someone with AK experience if they're going to fully disassemble. I used to do SD to LA and back all the time when I lived there and its not that bad.

You'll probably be happy with either finish. I've had cerakote with and without park and never had a problem with it wearing through.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
newtothegame
Active duty USMC

AKaholic #: 159222

Call them and ask. It's that easy if your going to have it stripped down so that the areas under the parts are finished then send it that way.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
Ding
onomanopeoia

AKaholic #: 7821

yeah ceracoat works great and is durable.Like someone said,they should completely take it down and clean they coat it.I have seen many weapons,pistols and rifle and parts done in ceracoat and they look great.If ya have doubts about the outfit I WILL recommend a guy I know..He does everything perfect.Look up Twisted Firearms LLC.
Voice#7-"There's Nothing That a Screwdriver to the Temple Can't Fix"
SFC I Corps 68'-72'
Ding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
hellayella8888
Curio & Relic

I prefer someone in my area, bro...
Old 01-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #10
Oryguner

AKaholic #: 155513

I doubt you would save much money by doing it yourself unless you already have most of the specific tools needed (air brush/compressor/media blaster) but there is also the oven issue. A barreled AK will fit in a normal kitchen oven (barely) but the curing paint does stink up the house and I wouldn't really recommend it. Only if you plan to do several or just want the satisfaction of doing it yourself can you justify the cost of the needed equipment.

Applicator locator from the Cerakote website, looks like there are several between LA and SD. I would think many would have AK experience.
http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/resource/locator/

Personally, I complete the assembly of the build, do my test firing and any adjustments that might be necessary and only then complete the final finish. I think most applicators charge a disassembly fee unless you do it for them. I would just strip it down to all the internals parts that I wanted coated and the barreled receiver. You might want different colors on various parts also. Cerakote is a very thin coating but even it would be too much additional thickness for the interference fit of your barrel components so coating the receiver with the fully populated barrel is the way to go IMHO.

Oryguner is online now   Reply With Quote