Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Old 01-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #176
That Random Noob
Boat Rocker

AKaholic #: 164877

I wish I could find some original yugo 20 round mags.. I plan on ordering some of the .308 galil mags Midway had in stock but they are overdue now and there is no telling when some more might get in.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms,but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
President John F. Kennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMor View Post
You guys can suck it. The juice ain't worth the squeeze. Go fuck yourselves.
That Random Noob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #177
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Random Noob View Post
I wish I could find some original yugo 20 round mags.. I plan on ordering some of the .308 galil mags Midway had in stock but they are overdue now and there is no telling when some more might get in.
The 20 rounds come up once in a while. Usually $100 each or so. The M14's are cheap & easy mod.
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:00 PM   #178
Black B15

AKaholic #: 171898

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBLUE View Post
Or a 20 or 30 round M14 mag.
I have a 20 round M14 mag coming. Just bought one so I could test it, mod it, and see how it fits and functions.

I am assuming for 922r purposes that using a foreign made M14 mag would still keep it legal, whereas if I used a M14 mag made in the USA I would need to change out three other parts (like the FCG for a tapco G2).

Don't get me wrong, I love to modify things to make them work. But with this I would prefer to have a factory made 20 rounder. NOW...having said all of that...when I got my M77 yesterday one factory 10 round mag snapped right in and the other one didn't. Pulled em both out and sat em next to each other, and just like the other member posted, I had to grind one a fair amount so it would lock into place. Now they BOTH lock into place and seat firmly, no wobble....point being if the Zastava 20 rounders would be the same way I certainly have no problem modding M14 mags instead.
Black B15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:11 PM   #179
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black B15 View Post
I have a 20 round M14 mag coming. Just bought one so I could test it, mod it, and see how it fits and functions.

I am assuming for 922r purposes that using a foreign made M14 mag would still keep it legal, whereas if I used a M14 mag made in the USA I would need to change out three other parts (like the FCG for a tapco G2).

Don't get me wrong, I love to modify things to make them work. But with this I would prefer to have a factory made 20 rounder. NOW...having said all of that...when I got my M77 yesterday one factory 10 round mag snapped right in and the other one didn't. Pulled em both out and sat em next to each other, and just like the other member posted, I had to grind one a fair amount so it would lock into place. Now they BOTH lock into place and seat firmly, no wobble....point being if the Zastava 20 rounders would be the same way I certainly have no problem modding M14 mags instead.
Your parts assumption is incorrect IMHO. You are modifying the rifle to non-sporting by adding the 20 round magazine. It has no bearing on where the mag is from as far as the modification.
AFAIK., then as it is modified the firearm is no longer sporting and 922r is applicable. So a USA M14 mag and a TACO G2 FCG or US furniture etc., is appropriate. I used US furniture (3) and FCG (3) but also added the rear slant filler plate and removed the fixed muzzle deice and added a removable brake., happens to be USA made by CNC Warrior.
But each to their own on how they apply (or not) the regs.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:12 PM   #180
Black B15

Quote:
Your parts assumption is incorrect IMHO. You are modifying the rifle to non-sporting by adding the 20 round magazine. It has no bearing on where the mag is from as far as the modification.
AFAIK., then as it is modified the firearm is no longer sporting and 922r is applicable. So a USA M14 mag and a TACO G2 FCG or US furniture etc., is appropriate. I used US furniture (3) and FCG (3) but also added the rear slant filler plate and removed the fixed muzzle deice and added a removable brake., happens to be USA made by CNC Warrior.
But each to their own on how they apply (or not) the regs.
After reading what you posted, I think you are absolutely correct in what you said. I appreciate you posting that.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:39 AM   #181
Hashi

AKaholic #: 169051

I did a bit of reading on the M77 and i noticed that in a lot of places they are advertising "modern internal parts". Can someone clarify this? Is there anything different internally on the M77 then in a standard 7.62x39 Ak? Besides the obvious chambered for .308.
Hashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:23 AM   #182
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashi View Post
I did a bit of reading on the M77 and i noticed that in a lot of places they are advertising "modern internal parts". Can someone clarify this? Is there anything different internally on the M77 then in a standard 7.62x39 Ak? Besides the obvious chambered for .308.
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showth...ugo+m77+rework
Old 01-14-2014, 04:06 PM   #183
Black B15

Not trying to take away from this specific thread too much....but somewhat on topic since this seems to be the "place to be" for the M77.

Got a M14 20 rd mag in the mail today, so I got a chance to compare to my stock 10 round M77 mag. Took a dremel to the M14 mag and was surprised that after a few trial and errors I ended up getting it to seat rather nicely. There is a little bit of wobble, but comparing the M77 mag installed and the M14 mag installed (by comparing where the feed lips and the follower are and at what angles) I am certain this thing will function with no problems.

The only thing I noticed is that with my stock 10 round mags the carrier/bolt will go back to closed after the last shot. Meaning if you try to shoot an 11th shot it will go click. On the M14 mag I installed it actions back and forth without issues, and on an empty mag actually holds open the action. Is that normal with this mag/modiciation?

At any rate, here is a picture. The idea was to use an el cheapo M14 mag from SG to see if I am satisfied with fitment and function after modification. If I was (and I am) satisfied I would then purchase the better quality M14 mags.

photo 3e0eaad0-c2f9-4814-8a2a-30cea0520de0.jpg
Old 01-14-2014, 04:18 PM   #184
HPP

AKaholic #: 19940

m14 mags hold the bolt open on an M1A the follower goes up high enough to trip a little bolt hold open thing. You think that you can post a pic of what you dremeled to make it fit?
HPP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #185
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPP View Post
m14 mags hold the bolt open on an M1A the follower goes up high enough to trip a little bolt hold open thing. You think that you can post a pic of what you dremeled to make it fit?
Yes., the M14 mag fitment is well documented here and other forums. I posted the info and instructions and pictures several times. They fit & function nicely and are BHO.
Glad to see you got one fitted.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #186
Black B15

Default IT LOOKS AWFUL...but here you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPP View Post
I should first point out again, that this was more of a test with a cheapie mag. The pictures will show where the grinder got away from me. Point is, I really just did this one to see how it would fit. I am going to be purchasing the better M14 mags to modify for future use.

Here it is (I am embarassed at the grinding....but remember it is more about functionality at this point than cosmetics).

For my purposes, I used the tutorial that is referred to often...along with comparing fitment between the stock 10 rounder and this 20 round mag.

I ground back both lips on the mag to match up with the Zastava 10 round mags. I also, as explained in the tutorial that I used, removed some material at the top of the front and rear of the mag...for the bolt to pass through with no issues. You can see a little of my sharpy marker on there marking the material I wanted to remove.

For me I noticed a few things that were not covered in the tutorial that I had to do. The mag wouldn't fit into my magwell by rocking it forward, as it was a little too "tall" on the top rear corners. I ground those down until the mag could fit into the magwell and rock forward to click in.

Another thing was that the rear tab on the M14 mag sat a little too low to engage the mag catch on my M77....so I had to grind that little tab back a little bit. I ended up going just a hair too fair, so for future reference I will be more careful in this area.

photo image-1977.jpg

photo image-445.jpg

photo image-2027.jpg

photo image-1075.jpg
Old 01-14-2014, 05:00 PM   #187
Black B15

Quote:
Yes., the M14 mag fitment is well documented here and other forums. I posted the info and instructions and pictures several times. They fit & function nicely and are BHO.
Glad to see you got one fitted.
I had no idea that the M14 mags were BHO, so that is a pleasant surprise for me.

I am glad I got one to fit too! Although it looks pretty shoddy up close, I feel comfortable with how it turned out as far as fitment. I am always a learn by doing it sort of guy, so for me I needed to do one as a test to see how it turned out. All in all, not too bad for only using a dremel. I definitely learned a lesson or two that I will use when I modify these mags in the future, and that was really what I was trying to accomplish.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:15 PM   #188
Black B15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dferg10 View Post
I just bought a 20 rd Vepr mag that looks like it should work.
Hey Dferg, I didn't see any other posts from you on this....did the Vepr mag ever work for you or not?

Just curious, and before I get the responses of "just buy the M14 mags", I just wanted to see what other options are out there. Just curious. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:48 AM   #189
Dferg10
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 155060

Quote:
Hey Dferg, I didn't see any other posts from you on this....did the Vepr mag ever work for you or not?

Just curious, and before I get the responses of "just buy the M14 mags", I just wanted to see what other options are out there. Just curious. Thanks.
I forgot all about that Vepr mag. It took forever to arrive. No it did not fit. I returned it without attempting to modify it. I ended up getting 6 Zastava 20 rd mags from various sources like Gbroker and Long Mountain, but they seem to have dried up. Some were but most were not cheap. I did find 1 for $35.
Dferg10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:19 AM   #190
Bill Reid

AKaholic #: 40796

FYI, I spot welded the front of the mag. For the mag's I bought grinding out the slot removes the spot weld at the top weakening it where its strength is needed most. Figured it wouldn't hurt spot welding that area. Also, it hardened the metal... glad I was pretty much done filing in that area...

Bill Reid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:29 PM   #191
Dferg10
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 155060

Nice work Bill.

Have any of you seen this type of 30rd mag before?

Here it is next to a 20rd magazine from a Mitchell M90.

I saw it listed as a 30rd Mitchell M90 mag on Gunbroker when I was buying .20rd Mitchell mags. I was hoping it would fit my M77 like the 20rd mags I got, but it does not. It looks kind of like someone filed it a bit, but the seller replied that was how it came and that it is for a Mitchell
M90 RPK. I was thinking about seeing if it can be made to fit the M77.

Dferg10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:48 PM   #192
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

It looks like a M14 style mag. Which can be made to fit a M77 quite easily.

Example only., this one has bad ratings>
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/300...und-steel-blue

Go all out with this>>>

http://www.desertwarriorproducts.com...-drum-magazine
Old 01-19-2014, 09:30 PM   #193
Bill Reid

... FWIW Check-Mate Industries sells a 25 round M14 mag - they also have a stainless 20.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:04 PM   #194
Kittrell
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 169541

Quote:
Nice work Bill.

Have any of you seen this type of 30rd mag before?

That is a Mitchell contracted, US made 30 round magazine. They are poorly constructed, loose fitting, and look ridiculous. The 20 round magazine is an original Yugo mag as imported by Mitchell.

This is the backside of a M14 30 rounder.

Last edited by Kittrell; 01-19-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Kittrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:29 PM   #195
Black B15

Quote:
I forgot all about that Vepr mag. It took forever to arrive. No it did not fit. I returned it without attempting to modify it. I ended up getting 6 Zastava 20 rd mags from various sources like Gbroker and Long Mountain, but they seem to have dried up. Some were but most were not cheap. I did find 1 for $35.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah they have dried up apparently, because I can't find a single one.

I know people are for the idea of modifying the 20 round M14 mags, but as with anything I would prefer the stock 20 round mag vs a modified non stock 20 rounder. At any rate, it really looked like that Vepr mag would work, but that is just based on the pictures alone.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:33 PM   #196
Black B15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Reid View Post
FYI, I spot welded the front of the mag. For the mag's I bought grinding out the slot removes the spot weld at the top weakening it where its strength is needed most. Figured it wouldn't hurt spot welding that area. Also, it hardened the metal... glad I was pretty much done filing in that area...

Hey Bill I was thinking if you are going to spot weld, why not just spot weld a little tab on the front and on the back of the M14 mag (after measuring and ensuring proper placement of course), then grinding/sanding the tabs as needed to match the front and rear lugs of the stock M77 mags.

After looking at the Zastava 10 round mag that came with my M77, the front and rear tabs are just spot welded. The front one with only 2 spot welds, the rear looks like it is on it's own little piece spot welded in a few places as well.

I am really considering getting a few of the mil-spec M14 mags and spot welding tabs on, grinding and sanding as needed. My problem is that I don't have a spot welder, so I would either need to buy one or pay someone to do it. OR you can do it and tell me how it worked out for you!
Old 01-20-2014, 12:14 AM   #197
coaldigger

AKaholic #: 170839

I bought a bunch of these about 20 years ago at a gun show when I was thinking about getting a M90/77. I still have them and I'm still thinking about getting a M90/77. I think now is the time to buy one. I would get a CIA M77 but the money and time to make it look like a Mitchell I could buy a Mitchell.

The follower looks like BHO

coaldigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:23 AM   #198
Beaver Hunter
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 164221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimenv View Post
So is the m77 rail wider than a psl? I am under the impression that it is compatible with the svd mounts/scopes.
It is compatible

Beaver Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:32 AM   #199
Beaver Hunter
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 164221

I shot my M77 today. Shot Federal American Eagle 150 grain FMJ and a 6x POSP scope from Belarus with an SVD clamp.

Rifle shot great with 0 malfunctions (I only fired 30 rounds). Setting gas block to "1" didn't allow action to cycle completely. I used setting "2." This normally ejected brass to the 2 o'clock position. I did not observe any signs of light primer strikes after live rounds were ejected from the chamber.

I mainly just zeroed the scope and irons. I did shoot a couple 3 round groups at 100 yards and was shooting groups of about 2".

Beaver Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:51 AM   #200
Kittrell
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 169541

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaldigger View Post
I would get a CIA M77 but the money and time to make it look like a Mitchell I could buy a Mitchell.
That's a bit of an exaggeration. The last preban Mitchell .308 went for $2,600 and the only postban M90 .308 available has been listed for $2,500 for over 6 months. The CIA M77 is a $600 rifle. Take a $200 Ironwood set and oil finish it at home. Have a shop square up the back, maybe $100? Touch up the finish, done, Mitchell clone. The only thing that won't look quite right is the scope rail.

Here is AKBLUE's and I can guarantee he did it for cheaper than what I listed. Pickup an M77 and get to work!

Kittrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:56 AM   #201
coaldigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittrell View Post
That's a bit of an exaggeration. The last preban Mitchell .308 went for $2,600 and the only postban M90 .308 available has been listed for $2,500 for over 6 months. The CIA M77 is a $600 rifle. Take a $200 Ironwood set and oil finish it at home. Have a shop square up the back, maybe $100? Touch up the finish, done, Mitchell clone. The only thing that won't look quite right is the scope rail.

Here is AKBLUE's and I can guarantee he did it for cheaper than what I listed. Pickup an M77 and get to work!

I have been watching the forums since CIA released the M77 as well as akblue's M77 grow up to be a Mitchell

I'm not looking for a safe queen and most post ban Mitchell's never make it past $1500, I've seen one go for $1300 and another go for $1400 just a month ago or so and they were listed several times before they sold. I seen one NIB pre ban go for $4200 just recently but I'm not looking for a NIB pre ban but then again I seen used pre bans go for less then $1800 on no reserve auction. They are out there and that's what I want is a Mitchell.

With all the new AKs coming out these days. I have a feeling CIA is going to import a square back M77/90, maybe then I will buy CIA and raise it to be a Mitchell but I doubt it.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #202
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
I have been watching the forums since CIA released the M77 as well as akblue's M77 grow up to be a Mitchell

I'm not looking for a safe queen and most post ban Mitchell's never make it past $1500, I've seen one go for $1300 and another go for $1400 just a month ago or so and they were listed several times before they sold. I seen one NIB pre ban go for $4200 just recently but I'm not looking for a NIB pre ban but then again I seen used pre bans go for less then $1800 on no reserve auction. They are out there and that's what I want is a Mitchell.

With all the new AKs coming out these days. I have a feeling CIA is going to import a square back M77/90, maybe then I will buy CIA and raise it to be a Mitchell but I doubt it.
Sell a handful of those M77/90 Mitchell mags and you are most of the way there to a M77 CAI rifle. Add a few mods and done. Just depends on what you want. For a shooter at the price they were $500-$550., not sure now.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #203
Black B15

Quote:
Sell a handful of those M77/90 Mitchell mags and you are most of the way there to a M77 CAI rifle. Add a few mods and done. Just depends on what you want. For a shooter at the price they were $500-$550., not sure now.
AGREED! Sell those mags!

I have a feeling if he listed those mags here they would be sold in 24 hours.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:06 AM   #204
coaldigger

Quote:
I could probably get a one of those NIB prebans, well almost maybe, selling all my Mitchell mags that I bought over the years and I came close many a time to selling them but I learned my lesson long time ago. Never sell your guns. I see it all the time where people have said "Dam, I should of never sold that rifle" or "I'm still kicking my self in the ass for selling all them mags" We all been there.

Ever since I found out that CIA imported the M77 I have been watching you build your rifle into a beautiful piece but I have my sight set on a Mitchell M90 RPK
Old 01-20-2014, 11:17 AM   #205
Black B15

Quote:
I could probably get a one of those NIB prebans, well almost maybe, selling all my Mitchell mags that I bought over the years and I came close many a time to selling them but I learned my lesson long time ago. Never sell your guns. I see it all the time where people have said "Dam, I should of never sold that rifle" or "I'm still kicking my self in the ass for selling all them mags" We all been there.

Ever since I found out that CIA imported the M77 I have been watching you build your rifle into a beautiful piece but I have my sight set on a Mitchell M90 RPK
That is a good point coaldigger, but to play devils advocate I have also seen several guys who "sit" on items of value....only to have them sit in a box and never be used and never be sold. THEY DO HAVE VALUE...but only if a person is willing to part with them. If they just sit in a box and rust away to nothing, they won't do you or anyone else any good.

I'm just saying.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #206
Bill Reid

Quote:
Hey Bill I was thinking if you are going to spot weld, why not just spot weld a little tab on the front and on the back of the M14 mag (after measuring and ensuring proper placement of course), then grinding/sanding the tabs as needed to match the front and rear lugs of the stock M77 mags.

After looking at the Zastava 10 round mag that came with my M77, the front and rear tabs are just spot welded. The front one with only 2 spot welds, the rear looks like it is on it's own little piece spot welded in a few places as well.

I am really considering getting a few of the mil-spec M14 mags and spot welding tabs on, grinding and sanding as needed. My problem is that I don't have a spot welder, so I would either need to buy one or pay someone to do it. OR you can do it and tell me how it worked out for you!
The Check-Mate M14 mags I bought measure about 0.068" longer (front to back - not including tabs) as compared to the M77 mags I have so I believe you might still have to slot the front.

Not sure I'm going to mod mine anymore than what has been discussed... they already fit very well. We'll see... got to get to the range and see how they perform...
Old 01-20-2014, 12:30 PM   #207
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Reid View Post
The Check-Mate M14 mags I bought measure about 0.068" longer (front to back - not including tabs) as compared to the M77 mags I have so I believe you might still have to slot the front.

Not sure I'm going to mod mine anymore than what has been discussed... they already fit very well. We'll see... got to get to the range and see how they perform...
+1., the simple modified M14 mags fit & fire quite well so far for me. If they pop loose or deform or fail to feed might look at spot welding the front and/or rear tab areas. I do not have a high round count in any of them yet., but so far so good.
The fit is not as locked in as solid as an AK for example., but not a problem. I'm glad the M14's work and are inexpensive and easy to mod.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:52 PM   #208
Okaraider

AKaholic #: 165738

I am kinda missing why the Mitchell Arms M77 is any better than the M77PS? Because of the receiver cut? Seems to me I just saw a pic of a Serbian troop with an M77 sporting a railed HG and a M4 style (yuck) folding stock. I guess they need to get with the program.
Okaraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:04 PM   #209
bloodbro

AKaholic #: 166682

I sent an email to http://stores.csspecs.com/ about maybe making 20rd's, maybe if enough people follow suit they will.
bloodbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #210
That Random Noob
Boat Rocker

AKaholic #: 164877

How do M14 mags lock in an AK?

AK mags have a clear spur to engage the AK mag lock

M14 mags have a flat back, no spur.

How again, do they engage the mag lock?

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms,but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
President John F. Kennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMor View Post
You guys can suck it. The juice ain't worth the squeeze. Go fuck yourselves.
That Random Noob is online now   Reply With Quote