Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-74s

Old 06-08-2006, 08:48 AM   #1
haze99

AKaholic #: 4887
Default North Korea's Type-98

Yes, if you have seen the file footage on CCN, your eyes were not deceiving you! The North Korea's have fielded the 5.45x39mm round! The fixed buttstock AK-74 is the Type-98, the folding stock AKS-74 is the Type-98-1! (A very rare rifle it is!) hmm, I wonder if the parts are of any quailty? Both are near indentical to the USSR version. Although the fixed buttstock is of a different style and attachment. The folding stock of the Type-98-1 looks similar to a FN FAL stock! (a bad one at that!)
Now did the NK's copy their AK-74 from an original Soviet model? Or the PRC Type-88 model? Not sure? As with the Poles and Romanian's the Nk's have 30-rd steel mags, and not the USSR bakelite!
(#$%*@ I am past my image limit, so I am unable to post the two pics I have of this rarely seen weapon!)
I am not aware of an RPK-74 LMG in use there, although they do have a copy of the GP-25 or GP-30 grenade-launcher, that has been seen mounted on the Type-98 rifle!
haze99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:29 PM   #2
16r40
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 184

I would suspect that the bought the licence from the soviets to make their own version.....I would suspect that they have had the 74 for quite a long time.

General William Tecumseh Sherman
16r40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

The ones I've seen have had an odd mix of features.The muzzle brake looks like a standard ak74 type.The magazines are steel and look like the Polish Tantal magazines.The metal folding buttstock is a unique design with an odd extension that attaches to the receiver.The fixed stock version has a wooden buttstock but with a metal reinforcement extension attaching it to the receiver and an uniique buttplate..The front trunnion doesn't have the extra "third" rivet of the latest Russian models.The top cover looks smooth but it may have shallow ribs.
allesennogwat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 08:58 PM   #4
haze99

I have found at least two foreign users of the North Korean Type-98. I have indentified Zimbabwe and Malaysia as having the Type-98-1 rifle in their stocks. This is based upon photos I have seen of both their police forces armed with this rifle. At one time I had these photos and would like to have posted them, however my computer caught a virus and these were lost!
Old 06-18-2007, 05:19 PM   #5
haze99

Scratch those two countries! It is Zambia and Indonesia, that are using Type-98-1 rifles. Many apologises gents!