Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-74s

Old 12-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
plouffedaddy
AKaholic

AKaholic #: 161751
Default Waffen Werks AK-74 Variant Review

I've had a my WW74 rifles for a while now and have at least a spam can through each; here's what I've found so far:

Pros:

-Reliable. The only malfunctions of any kind I've had to date were do to a bad mag (had issues in 3 other rifles).
-Accurate. I've been able to shoot several groups under 3'' with irons from the prone. Nope, I'm not going to win any Camp Perry matches but I'll take that with 7N6 and no optics (and me behind the gun).
-Cost. These rifles may be more than they used to be but they’re still a good deal in my opinion.
-Gun Kote finish. Many AK companies these days have paint based finishes; one of the most durable is the Gun Kote finish used on the WW74 rifles. It holds up very well to most solvents on the market. The finish is applied inside the receiver which is not the case with some of the competitors out there.
-Built on matching Bulgarian parts kits.
-Chrome lined ESS 1 in 7.75'' barrel (more on this below) spec’d by Waffen Werks to match the original Bulgarian AK-74 dimensions. A lot of AKs on the market are using non-chrome lined barrels and are priced similarly to the WW74. The chrome lining is a great feature when shooting corrosive surplus ammo, which I use about 95% of the time...
-Chrome lined muzzle brake and gas block.
-Comes with a hard shell rifle case.
-All of my mags lock up tight with little to no play/wobble.
-Relatively available. Most rifles are in short supply these days but a couple of online vendors get shipments of these pretty regularly (Snagged mine at Atlantic. They offer shipping discounts to forum members…) as well as quite a few gun shops around the country.

Cons:

-US barrel. As you’ll see in the video below, I would certainly prefer a cold hammer forged com-bloc barrel. That said, they’re becoming harder and harder to come by in the US market. I’d venture to say that 90% or more of the people that may buy these rifles won’t put enough rounds through them to ever notice a difference and if you can afford that many rounds likely you can afford to re-barrel the rifle.
-Ships with a Tapco mag. I would certainly prefer a surplus mag but it is what it is.

All in all I think you get a lot of rifle for your money and the availability of relatively inexpensive surplus ammo is an added bonus.

Here’s a video review with some shooting at various distances, a discussion of the pros/cons, a 3 shot group at 100m, disassembly and assembly of the rifle (for the new AK shooters), and some final thought on the rifle:

Old 12-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
HWI
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 161546

This is looking like a nice option in the current market. Like you said, the SGL31s price has hit the realm of crazy, and the SLR105s are phantoms.
HWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
Hamrhed
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 77670

Another great review... These rifles are nice bang for the buck!
Hamrhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
Atlantic Firearms
Dealer
Vendor

AKaholic #: 4032

Great fair & balanced review !!
Atlantic Firearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
RHETTNASH

AKaholic #: 157841

As always, great review man. It is all the little details discussed and reviewed that I appreciate. Such as the Bulgarian parts matching, and focusing on the barrel. Every question I thought of was answered. These matter to us ak nuts and collectors. Thanks you for the review, and taking the time and effort. I have been wrestling whether or not to purchase a ak74 since there is some mag/ammo drying up.
Nice watch by the way, looks like my suunto core!
Old 12-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
SeventyGTX

AKaholic #: 165081

I'm really liking mine so far, and cheap to shoot!
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
plouffedaddy
AKaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHETTNASH View Post
As always, great review man. It is all the little details discussed and reviewed that I appreciate. Such as the Bulgarian parts matching, and focusing on the barrel. Every question I thought of was answered. These matter to us ak nuts and collectors. Thanks you for the review, and taking the time and effort. I have been wrestling whether or not to purchase a ak74 since there is some mag/ammo drying up.
Nice watch by the way, looks like my suunto core!
Thank you.

On a random tangent note--I get literally thousands of comments over at my channel and at least 5% are about my watches. It's odd what people key in on....
Old 12-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
unicratt
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 164114

Great review, I have had mine for about 6 months and love it.
unicratt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #9
Atlantic Firearms
Dealer
Vendor

If your going to use the AK Files for advertising, how about a contribution to the site?

Warmest regards,
Ian the Moderator.

Last edited by IanMor; 12-21-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #10
Atlantic Firearms
Dealer
Vendor

Old 12-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #11
skipbo32

AKaholic #: 162695

do they make one of these in a triangle folder?
skipbo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:53 AM   #12
ak610

AKaholic #: 159776

-US barrel. As you’ll see in the video below, I would certainly prefer a cold hammer forged com-bloc barrel. That said, they’re becoming harder and harder to come by in the US market. I’d venture to say that 90% or more of the people that may buy these rifles won’t put enough rounds through them to ever notice a difference and if you can afford that many rounds likely you can afford to re-barrel the rifle.
-Ships with a Tapco mag. I would certainly prefer a surplus mag but it is what it is.

I've got a Waffen Werks '74 too and have wondered about that US barrel... do you know what sort of round count can be expected through these Green Mountain barrels before you'll start noticing a difference? Fantastic review by the way.
ak610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #13
skipbo32

AKaholic #: 162695

Quote:
I've got a Waffen Werks '74 too and have wondered about that US barrel... do you know what sort of round count can be expected through these Green Mountain barrels before you'll start noticing a difference? Fantastic review by the way.
i would like to know this as well.
skipbo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #14
plouffedaddy
AKaholic

It's going to vary a lot depending on the rate of fire. If you have a bumpski stock on it or mag dump constantly because you think smoking barrels are cool it's not going to last all that long.

That said, it's chrome lined 4140 steel and there's a ton of ARs out there that use those barrels and get 10k out of them with no difference in accuracy and minimal throat erosion.

So short answer---it depends
Old 12-24-2012, 11:46 PM   #15
crsswift70

AKaholic #: 162908

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipbo32 View Post
do they make one of these in a triangle folder?
Waffen doesn't but ironclad does. Unfortunately, none in stock right now at Atlantic.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp....html?Itemid=0
crsswift70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:17 AM   #16
ErichPryde

AKaholic #: 165689

I ordered a waffen werks (my first ak) a week before almost all of the aks out there became almost completely unavailable. finally got it in this last Friday.

as others have mentioned, the dust cover was tight, but it wasn't impossible to remove. the gas tube was another story... I had to use a hammer to get the catch to release and then it wouldn't go back in, much too tight. used a grinder to take a bit off the back, and now it's fine but still tight. gun shoots great. 200 rounds through it so far and seems as reliable as any other ak I've shot (very few).

ErichPryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:01 AM   #17
plouffedaddy
AKaholic

Glad to hear it!
Old 01-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #18
RusculBoi

AKaholic #: 166475

Hey Pryde nice rifle! May I ask what type of bag that is(Russian or what) and where I could find one?
RusculBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #19
BuddyMackjr

AKaholic #: 161693

I can finally get one and now you can't find them anywhere! Jealous...
BuddyMackjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:27 AM   #20
crsswift70

Atlantic had them earlier today. At least they had the plums. Not sure if still in stock though.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:41 AM   #21
TSX

AKaholic #: 166013

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsswift70 View Post
Atlantic had them earlier today. At least they had the plums. Not sure if still in stock though.
They still do.
TSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:28 PM   #22
TSX

AKaholic #: 166013

My WW muzzle break doesn't look chrome lined to me, also someone else said the same thing about theirs. Ploufedaddy are you sure yours has a chrome lined break?
TSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:47 PM   #23
crsswift70

I've seen two recently in person. One looked chrome lined, the other didn't. I guess you may or may not get lucky.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:08 AM   #24
Atlantic Firearms
Dealer
Vendor

All of the Waffen WA74 rifles have chrome lined barrels, there are people on the web confusing their rifles with Waffen WA 74 units and there are firms selling some AK74 Rifles without chrome lined barrels like Classic Arms.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #25
plouffedaddy
AKaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSX View Post
My WW muzzle break doesn't look chrome lined to me, also someone else said the same thing about theirs. Ploufedaddy are you sure yours has a chrome lined break?
Absolutely. It's chrome lined.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #26
zerocool
Evassive Maneuvers

AKaholic #: 159631

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic Firearms View Post
All of the Waffen WA74 rifles have chrome lined barrels, there are people on the web confusing their rifles with Waffen WA 74 units and there are firms selling some AK74 Rifles without chrome lined barrels like Classic Arms.
atlantic, any idea when you'll be getting more WW74 instock?
zerocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #27
Tommo
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 1190

Thank you for the great review. You look like Vin Diesel from the movies: 'Saving Private Ryan', 'XXX', 'Pitch Black', 'Knock Around Guys', 'A Man Apart'. 'The Fast and Furious' and 'The Chronicles of Riddick'.
Tommo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #28
crsswift70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic Firearms View Post
Chill, we were talking about the brakes, not the barrels Atlantic had the plum ww74's all week end i think. Might not hurt to check.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #29
plouffedaddy
AKaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
Thank you for the great review. You look like Vin Diesel from the movies: 'Saving Private Ryan', 'XXX', 'Pitch Black', 'Knock Around Guys', 'A Man Apart'. 'The Fast and Furious' and 'The Chronicles of Riddick'.
Thank you.

Unfortunately looking like him (minus a few cycles of roids) doesn't mean getting paid like him
Old 01-09-2013, 12:10 AM   #30
ErichPryde

AKaholic #: 165689

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusculBoi View Post
Hey Pryde nice rifle! May I ask what type of bag that is(Russian or what) and where I could find one?
The bag is a British WWII era Waring & Grabow MKVII gas mask bag. You can get one at whatpriceglory.com, a site that sells old military uniforms and replicas (link to the bag here, looks like they are out of the W&Gs). You're probably more familiar with it than you know, it's the bag Harrison Ford used in all of the Indiana Jones movies. Bags range from a mustard to OD green. The replica bag is less expensive and good quality if you don't care about Indyfilm artifacts. It is exactly the right size to hold 8 AK-74 magazines...

here's a couple more shots of the rifle.

Plouffedaddy's review is very good and very fair. I'm impressed with this rifle as well! I'm no marksman by any means-- I'm almost brand-new to shooting rifles, in fact-- but I was able to put 4 holes in a beer can at 60 yards within 2inches of each other out of 5 shots fired with irons. I'll take that kind of accuracy any day! Can only get better from here.

Last edited by ErichPryde; 01-09-2013 at 12:34 AM.
ErichPryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #31
STGThndr

AKaholic #: 3494

Nice thread.. thanks to all who contributed. I need another rifle in another caliber.. NOT! Still I will be looking for a fall in prices (vain hope?) to buy one. The 5.45 has a reputation for terminal performance in flesh targets and is know to some as the "poison bullet".