Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Saigas and VEPRs

Old 12-10-2012, 03:50 AM   #1
EonDresari
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 165498
Default Crush Washers and Muzzle Devices

If I use a crush washer to secure a muzzle device to my VEPR would it be visible? If so, anyone have pictures of how visible? I've never used one before, just wondering. What's the "least visible way to mount one and still have it detachable on a VEPR that lacks the locking detent?
EonDresari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #2
armored223
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 159847

How about Teflon tape? I was going to try that temporarily till I chop and solder
armored223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
The Sarge
Old Man

AKaholic #: 165282

Go to about 6:59 of this clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B5hSMjwksc

I never use a crush washer myself as I thread the device for a specific or particular rifle.
As I get to the end of the threading I try whatever muzzle device I am putting on. If it needs say another 1/4 turn to line up I go a bit more etc. until I can tighten it and it has indexed to the proper position.

Nothing wrong with a crush washer. Really only applies to muzzle brakes and not flash hiders anyway.

As for not using a crush washer and the thing falling off. Good luck with getting a properly torqued muzzle device off without a crush washer. They are not going anywhere when properly torqued.
The Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
EonDresari
Curio & Relic

Hey, thanks for the advice armored and sarge. Yeah this is for a flash hider that's going on my 7.62x54r VEPR. That video showed exactly what I was wondering, the washer is still fairly visible. I'd prefer not having any visible gap between the muzzle and the flash hider. When you do your threading etc, and place your flash hider on the rifle, if you aren't using a crush washer etc, do you just tighten it by itself?
Old 12-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
Bob M

AKaholic #: 165120

Quote:
Originally Posted by EonDresari View Post
If I use a crush washer to secure a muzzle device to my VEPR would it be visible? If so, anyone have pictures of how visible? I've never used one before, just wondering. What's the "least visible way to mount one and still have it detachable on a VEPR that lacks the locking detent?
Does your Vepr have the FSB like Saiga's? I've seriously thought about drilling my Saiga's FSB and installing a detent pin. I have the 14x1 to 24x1.5 thread adapter from CNC Warrior That will actually cover the remaining shroud and butt up to the FSB. Can then use the 24x1.5 muzzle devices with the detent. Still can use 14x1 devices but not with the detent unless the pin was extra long!
Bob M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
EonDresari
Curio & Relic

It's a similar FSB without a detent pin. It's got 14x1 LH threads though. The flash hider I want to install is 14x1 LH also, I'd rather not permanently attatch it so that I could use a muzzle brake in the future if I desired too. I reckon if I have to use a crush washer I could but I'd rather not have anything visible between the hider and the barrel.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
canoecanoe

AKaholic #: 101451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M View Post
Does your Vepr have the FSB like Saiga's? I've seriously thought about drilling my Saiga's FSB and installing a detent pin. I have the 14x1 to 24x1.5 thread adapter from CNC Warrior That will actually cover the remaining shroud and butt up to the FSB. Can then use the 24x1.5 muzzle devices with the detent. Still can use 14x1 devices but not with the detent unless the pin was extra long!
I have done this successfully on a Saiga:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?...-my-stock-fsb/
canoecanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
The Sarge
Old Man

AKaholic #: 165282

When you torque the flash hider up against the front of the site block what you do is torque the threads. It is not going to loosen up.
The Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #9
EonDresari
Curio & Relic

Thanks again Sarge, that sounds about what I want to do, I didn't realize I could have it on there without anything else or without welding it. Much appreciated.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #10
Bob M

AKaholic #: 165120

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoecanoe View Post
I have done this successfully on a Saiga:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?...-my-stock-fsb/

Thanks!....I went and checked it out! Just as I thought it should go but was afraid to try!
Bob M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #11
1rifleman

AKaholic #: 73769

Quote:
Originally Posted by armored223 View Post
How about Teflon tape? I was going to try that temporarily till I chop and solder
I used to use this method also, then i found rubber o-rings! work great and cheat too!
1rifleman is online now   Reply With Quote