Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Saigas and VEPRs

Old 12-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
Night Owl
Taxed to death

AKaholic #: 158477
Default More VEPR 12 Problems

Some of you may remember my first thread about my VEPR 12 and the problems I was having with it. I had asked Atlantic Firearms for a replacement which they would not do. Instead, I was told to send the gun back for "warranty repairs." When I got the gun back I noticed a large scratch on the bolt carrier just behind the charging handle that wasn't there before. Went to the range today and the gun still had failure to eject problems on every 3-4 rounds regardless of the type of 12 gauge shell I fed it (i.e. 00 buck, slug, multi purpose load,dove shot,etc etc) The gun did not jam as frequently as it did on my first outing but nonetheless I am very disappointed in my gun. So I write this tonight to ask my fellow Files members what would they do in my position? I'm definitely contacting Atlantic tomorrow but what should I tell them? I really want another VEPR 12 cause I'm absolutely convinced I have a dreaded "Vodka Special."
Night Owl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
unicratt
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 164114

Sucks to hear.

My Vepr12 occasionally stove pipes on birdshot but has been 100% with 00buck, this might have to do with the CSS muzzlebreak though.

Who ended up handling the repair? Obviously a replacement would be the best option, but it might just have to go back in for warranty work.

Also, if you paid with a credit card, and as a last resort you may be able to initiate a chargeback with the credit card company on grounds of a defective product. This usually makes companies more cooperative.
unicratt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
cgp
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 157920

I'd tell them the issue is not resolved and request an exchange or repair (provided they cover shipping).

What do you think the cause of the scratch? Is it grinding on something inside?
cgp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
2004exrider

AKaholic #: 159059

As a paying customer who just dropped over $1000, id politely request a new one. You already sent it back once, you shouldn't have to keep waiting around in hopes that it will eventually work right.

Jimmy
2004exrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
Night Owl
Taxed to death

Unicratt- the repair work was done by the importer.

CGI- I had initially asked them for a replacement so I hope they oblige me this time. Sucks for them too cause I WAS going to buy another VEPR 12 but now I don't think so. I'm not sure how the scratch was caused??? I just know it wasn't there before I sent it in initially.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
Night Owl
Taxed to death

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004exrider View Post
As a paying customer who just dropped over $1000, id politely request a new one. You already sent it back once, you shouldn't have to keep waiting around in hopes that it will eventually work right.

Jimmy
+10000000
Old 12-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
armored223
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 159847

Mine is at TGI now for the top cover popping off and FTF and FTE. They seem pretty willing to make it right but they did tell me that they have no rifles or parts to work with and the next shipment is still questionalble for sometime in 2013
armored223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
Night Owl
Taxed to death

Well, I emailed Atlantic early this morning but did not get a response back today.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
unicratt
Curio & Relic
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
Well, I emailed Atlantic early this morning but did not get a response back today.

Give them a little time. I'm sure they they have a backlog of emails from the weekend.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #10
Night Owl
Taxed to death

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicratt View Post
Give them a little time. I'm sure they they have a backlog of emails from the weekend.
Oh I'm sure that they do. But....they were a lot quicker to answer my emails when it was about paying them. Just saying....
Old 12-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
n16ht5
nights

AKaholic #: 28120

what the eff I thought this was a saiga problem . Hopefuly mine will work right
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #12
Night Owl
Taxed to death

I'm no gunsmith by any means so can someone tell me what might be the culprit behind these malfunctions?
Old 12-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #13
armored223
Veteran Member
Contributor

Under gases or extractor.

Mine is also fte along with popping the top cover so maybe it's the bolt carrier hitting the top cover
Old 12-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #14
Night Owl
Taxed to death

Quote:
Originally Posted by armored223 View Post

Mine is also fte along with popping the top cover so maybe it's the bolt carrier hitting the top cover
So are they fixing it for you or sending you a replacement?
Old 12-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #15
armored223
Veteran Member
Contributor

Don't know yet. They paid for shipping back and they recieved it Friday. I have not heard anything yet.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #16
dk.easterly

AKaholic #: 165095

Is the chamber polished?

Fail to extract or fail to eject? Two completely different things.
dk.easterly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #17
Atlantic Firearms
Dealer
Vendor

AKaholic #: 4032

Night Owl we are not aware of your email so could you please re send it and in the subject title mention Vepr 12 Issue . We do get approx 400 emails a day but do try to stay up to speed on them , your comment about how quick we were to respond on the sale but not to your problems is a bit unfair and really kind of makes me a bit irritated. We go out of our way to work with customers that have issues and have a proven track record of this.
Atlantic Firearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #18
armored223
Veteran Member
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk.easterly View Post
Is the chamber polished?

Fail to extract or fail to eject? Two completely different things.
Good point. Mine is Failure to Eject. The extractor is grabbing it. The top cover popping up is what was happening to mine about once per 5 shots. The FTeject only certain types of loads and inconsitantly maybe on ine 20 but would then do it for 5 or 6. I'm hoping its just the rivet on mine.

At this point i sure wish i would have gotten it from Atlantic. I'm not sure I have CFS to go back to should this not work out with the importer.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #19
dk.easterly

AKaholic #: 165095

So the shell is being extracted out of the chamber, but is not being ejected.

Sorry, I'm not to knowledgeable on the Vepr 12's internals, just trying to offer an opinion. I'll do a little research. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard of a fix.

EDIT: Idk how interesting this would be, but here you go - http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?...pr-12-diagram/

Scroll a little ways down to get the actual english translated version.
dk.easterly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #20
Atlantic Firearms
Dealer
Vendor

Most of the Vendors currently offering the Vepr 12 are stand up firms , Center fire Systems, Missippi Auto Arms and others and staffed by great people and it is doubtfull they would turn their back on the customer should the importer fail to remedy the situation. Night Owl did his duty and gave Wolf/TGI the opportunity to take care of the issue and it sounds like it may have failed BUT we first need to speak with the customer then Wolf to find out exactly what went on with the return . Wolf /TGI has been very good to work with in the past so DOUBT this is some conspiracy to send a defective item back to a customer on purpose ultimatley they would know it would come right back . We are still not aware of a email from anyone today about this issue and will have to wait for the customer to re send it to our office.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #21
Atlantic Firearms
Dealer
Vendor

Also want to state that the rate of return issues for the Vepr 12 has been approx 1 % of the units sold so yes there has been a few issues but not as many as the internet makes it out to be.Yes we would like there to be no issues at all but we are just happy to have the Vepr 12 finally in the country and are sure any customers with problems will have them resolved .
Old 12-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #22
2004exrider

AKaholic #: 159059

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic Firearms View Post
...your comment about how quick we were to respond on the sale but not to your problems is a bit unfair and really kind of makes me a bit irritated. We go out of our way to work with customers that have issues and have a proven track record of this.
Can you really blame him, he's more than likely also a little irritated? He spent $1,000+ on a non functioning firearm and sent it back for repair to come back damaged and still not working reliably. While you know it will get resolved, i'm sure he's a little nervous about the whole situation just as any of us would be.
2004exrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #23
armored223
Veteran Member
Contributor

Quote:
Also want to state that the rate of return issues for the Vepr 12 has been approx 1 % of the units sold so yes there has been a few issues but not as many as the internet makes it out to be.Yes we would like there to be no issues at all but we are just happy to have the Vepr 12 finally in the country and are sure any customers with problems will have them resolved .
To back this up I am one of the fortunate 1% er's and I still the the gun absolutely rocks and is my favorate ak platform gun to date. Anyone considering getting one should. My order was for 4 of them and 3 of my buddies have no issues and love them. This is just how things go for me. I had a brand new pickup that was an electrical problem that could not be found but kept killing the battery. Just the way things go for me.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:04 PM   #24
cgp
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 157920

Quote:
Mine has been problem free and I've already put over 400 rounds of the cheapest Walmart ammo I could put through - stuff that my Saiga 12 won't even eat. I'm very happy with mine. Now if Atlantic can just light some fire up SGM's ass and get me those damn mags, I'd be set.
cgp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:48 AM   #25
Atlantic Firearms
Dealer
Vendor

Good news on the mags they tested the mags again on Tues and it passed the final QC check so they will begin production . We should start to see mags shipping in approx 7 days !!!!
Old 12-06-2012, 02:27 AM   #26
Jaimenv
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 9749

Quote:
Originally Posted by armored223 View Post

I am going to venture in to the problem of popping the dustcover being caused by the recoil spring assembly binding in to the carrier as it compresses on recoil. My Saiga 12 had this problem and it stop when I removed the dustcover piece that rides on the recoil assembly.

There is a chance on this causing also the failure to eject due to the action being slowed down by the bind on the recoil assembly.

Other than this I would be just as stump as the next guy.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #27
rockmup

AKaholic #: 10283

Quote:
Good news on the mags they tested the mags again on Tues and it passed the final QC check so they will begin production . We should start to see mags shipping in approx 7 days !!!!
Good news !

Ive got 800+ through mine and couldn't be more pleased.
rockmup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #28
Night Owl
Taxed to death

Quote:
Most of the Vendors currently offering the Vepr 12 are stand up firms , Center fire Systems, Missippi Auto Arms and others and staffed by great people and it is doubtfull they would turn their back on the customer should the importer fail to remedy the situation. Night Owl did his duty and gave Wolf/TGI the opportunity to take care of the issue and it sounds like it may have failed BUT we first need to speak with the customer then Wolf to find out exactly what went on with the return . Wolf /TGI has been very good to work with in the past so DOUBT this is some conspiracy to send a defective item back to a customer on purpose ultimatley they would know it would come right back . We are still not aware of a email from anyone today about this issue and will have to wait for the customer to re send it to our office.
I emailed you guys a second time yesterday morning as you requested. Late in the day yesterday I got an email from your office asking for my tp# which I left. As of now, I have not received a call back.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #29
mancat
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 156827

First-model year rule appears to apply to guns just as well as it does to cars.
mancat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #30
Night Owl
Taxed to death

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat View Post
First-model year rule appears to apply to guns just as well as it does to cars.
Agreed but this is not a first year model. This gun has been around for a while internationally.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #31
unicratt
Curio & Relic
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
Agreed but this is not a first year model. This gun has been around for a while internationally.
exactly, you beat me to it.

Have been used in competitions in europe for years now.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #32
mancat
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 156827

Guess you're right.. Wonder why it's still having these sorts of teething issues.
mancat is online now   Reply With Quote