Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-74s

Old 11-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
forcemultiplier

AKaholic #: 165322
Default Waffen Werks ak74

Hello ak friends,
I am new to the site so i am navigating through this.
I recently bought an ak74 from Atlantic the experience was easy enough(online purchase) theservice was good, but I have a problem with my WW ak74. I have the new WW in house reciever and my bolt carrier had a lot of movement on rec. rails called A.F. to tell them I was concerned they said, shoot it and see if functions ok, fair enuff. So I went to shoot and noticed something disturbing, my sight block, gas block, and yes front sight post were all canted to the right!! I called WW and they send call tag immediatly, and as of now they have it, I have not herd anything yet they've had it a couple of days. Now that guns asthetics are very pleasing but the reciever is troubling( mag wobble and thin) and being that my sights were perfectly lined up i have to assume that is was known that it was canted, bothersome, but I will see how things end up, also I emailed A.F. about it and no one responded until I sent a follow up email and was told that they contacted WW, no one emailedfter orig. eail to let me know and WW didnt call me I called them. The p.o.s. was a good experiece but after the sale??? Anyone else had this experience with WW, or A.F.?? i will give them both the opportunity of fixing and if done I was going to buy 2 more guns from A.F. and 1 WW again, if this experience is handled properly!
forcemultiplier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
unicratt
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 164114

Both companies will take care of you. I imagine with the whole Obama thing and the holidays coming up they are pretty slammed. I would give them some extra time to sort things through and just keep following up with them.
unicratt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
forcemultiplier

Yes I hope so I was involved in mfg for a decade and warranties happen it is immposible to be 100% all the time, that being said, I wonder why american companies dont reverse engineer aks, other than CAI. I was involded in aftermarket reverse engineering and what we produced was as good and sometimes better than oem, if you get measurements correct and right hardness, as well as properly trained builders we could build as good or better aks right here im certain. I just think we should have as many options as AR market and it can be done by someone that puts quality right there with profits, ill get off of my soap box now, Thank you for input!
Old 11-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
rasputin

AKaholic #: 165210

Oh man, My rifle is comming in tomorrow. I hope they didn't half-a$$ that one too.
rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
maxxmojo
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 154628

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcemultiplier View Post
Yes I hope so I was involved in mfg for a decade and warranties happen it is immposible to be 100% all the time, that being said, I wonder why american companies dont reverse engineer aks, other than CAI. I was involded in aftermarket reverse engineering and what we produced was as good and sometimes better than oem, if you get measurements correct and right hardness, as well as properly trained builders we could build as good or better aks right here im certain. I just think we should have as many options as AR market and it can be done by someone that puts quality right there with profits, ill get off of my soap box now, Thank you for input!
Yeah we could build an AK, just not for nearly as (relatively) cheap as they go for now.
Clinton and his Assault Weapons Ban where in the news. I asked him if he thought there could be an armed struggle in the US. His words still hold true today, "Men with beer bellies don't make Revolutions".
maxxmojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
Hamrhed
Система

AKaholic #: 77670

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
Oh man, My rifle is comming in tomorrow. I hope they didn't half-a$$ that one too.
WW generally has been delivering solid rifles- hopefully this was just a blip and not a trend
Hamrhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #7
rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrhed View Post
WW generally has been delivering solid rifles- hopefully this was just a blip and not a trend

I hope so too. I was very hesitant when ordering the rifle due to the receiver and barrel mfg change. I've only seen one review of the new rifles since the change. The only thing that made me go for it was their excellent reputation with coustomer service and their past build quality.

I hope it works out for the best.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:44 AM   #8
StG58Freak
Banned

AKaholic #: 86051

There is at least a dozen threads on several forums of guys having problems with their waffen werks 74s. Most are the receiver cover won't come off. It's so tight that Arnold couldn't get it to budge. I read where one guy had to use a punch and hammer to get his cover off and then saw where WW had been grinding on the rear trunnion.

It's not A.F. fault or anyone else you may have bought the rifle from. The fault is that of Waffen Werks for letting something like that leave their shop.
StG58Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
hellayella8888
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 164345

yea, talk to Blaine, he'll make it right for u!
hellayella8888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #10
Jgsav

AKaholic #: 164706

Good luck
Jgsav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #11
forcemultiplier

ya i think the reason the dust covers wont come off is if the sight block is canted then you have to put on at an angle mine was hard to get off as well also looking down dust cover the ribbing looked off center to me as well not sure if it was because of the canted block or whoever made it for them cut them off center. The reason I brought up mfg in usa is because of my knowledge with sand casting rockwell hardness and reverse engineering, of all the new aks built on parts kits i think some pieces are genuine commy parts and other pieces are aftermarket reverse engineered, if you look at a sight block or a gas block and have a grain effect in the metal that is a tale,tale sign of a sand casting, oem commy parts are smooth. Dont misunderstand me we wouldnt have aks right now without aftermarket parts, i think, guys and im cool with that as long as the fit and function accordingly, I was trolling to see if any distributors would comment on after market parts!! I have a cai polish underfolder that thing is almost a tack driver and it is an aftermarket parts gun, I will bet that gun that is the case, due to grain effect in gas block and sight block-sand casting, but it works, and certain finishes mask that grainy look ie gun kote.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #12
forcemultiplier

But I do not want to give any american company trying to make a profit and trying to produce A QUALITY firearm a bad reputation, im going to give them the opportunity to fix as should anyone else, and as far as asthetics the WW is top notch!! I just want a good shooter that shoots true and straight. As of now they took it in immediatly with out any hesitation, when i sent one to century i had to haggle because they sold in 09 i bought in 11, once i started talking the jargon on mfg. and firearms they changed their tune and i had it back fixed in 3 weeks, alot of wasr 10/63 have mis alinged bolt guide rails bent or just not installed correctly or out of spec, causing ftf or a cartridge jammed crooked into fed ramp or barrel. I will post what happens from here.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
hellayella8888
Curio & Relic

just see what pans out and the customer service u get..my first gut instinct would be to bitch, piss and moan..but sometimes the manufacturer will make things right
Old 11-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #14
rasputin

I just got back form my FFL with mine. I don't seem to have any of the issues that yours has. The FSB, sights, and gas block all seem to be straight to my eye. I had no trouble pulling it apart either. I won't be able to take it to the range until tuesday because of work, so I have no idea how it will shoot, but in short, I couldn't be happier with the fit and finish of my rifle.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #15
Hamrhed
Система

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
I just got back form my FFL with mine. I don't seem to have any of the issues that yours has. The FSB, sights, and gas block all seem to be straight to my eye. I had no trouble pulling it apart either. I won't be able to take it to the range until tuesday because of work, so I have no idea how it will shoot, but in short, I couldn't be happier with the fit and finish of my rifle.
Sounds like you got a good one- let us know how that bad boy shoots!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #16
Atlantic Firearms
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

AKaholic #: 4032

It normally takes approx 7 days for warranty work to take place at any firm if they have only had it for a few days no real reason for alarm. Do not worry Waffen has always been good to work with over the past few years . And we are not going anywhere so you will be taken care of please feel free to email our office all your contact info we will be glad to call you and Waffen for a update on Friday.
Atlantic Firearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #17
mellow

AKaholic #: 164185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic Firearms View Post
It normally takes approx 7 days for warranty work to take place at any firm if they have only had it for a few days no real reason for alarm. Do not worry Waffen has always been good to work with over the past few years . And we are not going anywhere so you will be taken care of please feel free to email our office all your contact info we will be glad to call you and Waffen for a update on Friday.
Wish my vendor was so good to work with like Atlantic, I havent gotten anything from RRC when i emailed them, they forwarded it to WW.
mellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #18
mellow

I ordered my WW ak74 from RRC firearms in Sept. Cover very tight, once i got the cover off, i couldnt get it back on, The dust cover # didnt match the rest of the rifle.rifle was advertised as all matching on RRC website. Talked to Hank from Waffen Werks (RRC forwarded my email to them ,never heard a word from RRC). Hank said they would switch out rifle since it wasnt matching as it should be and send a return label out. 2 weeks and 3 emails later, i get label. Sent it back. per email from Hank WW they had fixed my rifle and should have it back Nov 9.Emailed hank nov 19, they should be getting out I am told again. Email hank asking if Im getting the original rifle back or the switch out as discussed, no answer yet. Very disappointed as these 2 firms seem to have good reps for service. AIM got the wood version in soon after my order, Wish I knew they were getting them, would have waited and I bet you things would go smoother with AIM on my side. Last told by Hank it was shipping out on nov. 20th.Emails stll unanswered. *********** UPDATE from RRC: they said they didnt have record of my emails, WW doesnt ship them rifles anymore, they would forward my email to WW and that I should keep after WW. I sent them copies of my sent emails

Last edited by mellow; 12-01-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #19
Hamrhed
Система

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellow View Post
I ordered my WW ak74 from RRC firearms in Sept. Cover very tight, once i got the cover off, i couldnt get it back on, The dust cover # didnt match the rest of the rifle.rifle was advertised as all matching on RRC website. Talked to Hank from Waffen Werks (RRC forwarded my email to them ,never heard a word from RRC). Hank said they would switch out rifle since it wasnt matching as it should be and send a return label out. 2 weeks and 3 emails later, i get label. Sent it back. per email from Hank WW they had fixed my rifle and should have it back Nov 9.Emailed hank nov 19, they should be getting out I am told again. Email hank asking if Im getting the original rifle back or the switch out as discussed, no answer yet. Very disappointed as these 2 firms seem to have good reps for service. AIM got the wood version in soon after my order, Wish I knew they were getting them, would have waited and I bet you things would go smoother with AIM on my side. Last told by Hank it was shipping out on nov. 20th.Emails stll unanswered
That sucks, brother I hope WW makes it right for you- got my AK from RRC and they were gtg...
Old 12-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #20
David Teague

AKaholic #: 162037

Mello,

Are you saying that your rifle is lost in space/MIA?

DT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellow View Post
I ordered my WW ak74 from RRC firearms in Sept. Cover very tight, once i got the cover off, i couldnt get it back on, The dust cover # didnt match the rest of the rifle.rifle was advertised as all matching on RRC website. Talked to Hank from Waffen Werks (RRC forwarded my email to them ,never heard a word from RRC). Hank said they would switch out rifle since it wasnt matching as it should be and send a return label out. 2 weeks and 3 emails later, i get label. Sent it back. per email from Hank WW they had fixed my rifle and should have it back Nov 9.Emailed hank nov 19, they should be getting out I am told again. Email hank asking if Im getting the original rifle back or the switch out as discussed, no answer yet. Very disappointed as these 2 firms seem to have good reps for service. AIM got the wood version in soon after my order, Wish I knew they were getting them, would have waited and I bet you things would go smoother with AIM on my side. Last told by Hank it was shipping out on nov. 20th.Emails stll unanswered. *********** UPDATE from RRC: they said they didnt have record of my emails, WW doesnt ship them rifles anymore, they would forward my email to WW and that I should keep after WW. I sent them copies of my sent emails
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
Fuck panic.
http://www.novarata.net/images/n/teague-sigpic-357.jpg
David Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #21
Atlantic Firearms
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

We spoke with the owner of Waffen on Friday morning and explained the situation and asked him to check into the customers return etc and contact the customer. When I spoke with him he as not in the office but said he would check into it that afternoon. Again Waffen has been great to work with over the past few years and we have full confidence in their products and service. And as stated before Atlantic Firearms is no going anywhere so we will also be here to assist and we encourage customers to let know if they have issues with a certain product line . We need the feedback good & bad that is how we are tipped of to potential issues and can keep our eyes out for more incoming issues or communicate with the factory's about how to make their products better.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #22
StG58Freak
Banned

AKaholic #: 86051

I will never buy another waffen werks product again but i would buy from Atlantic Firearms again because you are good people and a good company that has excellent customer service. Thanks and keep up the good work.

BTW: The only thing i've purchased from you is mags but you took care of me properly and i see how you take care of others which shows you care.
StG58Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #23
hoevito

AKaholic #: 163060

I just picked up a Waffen Werks ak 74 just last week and even tho I haven't shot it yet it seems to be a quality piece. Yes the dust cover was a bitch to get off AT FIRST, but by the 3rd or 4th time I tried taking it off it wasn't a problem anymore. I think some of the complaints with them (especially that one) are blown out of proportion, considering the gun has the kg guncote finish which compared the the black spray-paint found on Arsenals and Saigas is beautiful, but it's a lot thicker and "stickier" relatively speaking. It's essentially a brand new rifle, all the parts are new and unfired/unused and it has a finish on it that while thicker and "stickier" than others is MUCH nicer so yeah, it's bound to feel tighter but personally I love it.

FYI, I've got one of the higher serials...I guess...it's in the 450's, and has the Waffen Werks stamp on the bottom of the receiver near the magwell, so it's definitely one of the newer models I'm guessing. Either way, it's GTG...

hoevito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #24
Atlantic Firearms
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

You are correct the thicker gun kote finish makes them a bit stiff but once broken in a but they are just fine .We had a few issues with tight safety selectors and made them aware of this and they are now checking them over for this. The good thing about working with them is they are willing to listen, learn and make corrections when necessary.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #25
Waffen Werks1

AKaholic #: 73847

Thanks to everyone for the good and not so good comments. We are working to make ALL customers happy. That is how we pay the bills. From time to time we hire new help and until the new help gets up to speed on things we experiance growing pains but we 100% stand behind everything that we build. We had three warranty repair guns in the shop all of which have been adjusted and will be shipped back to the owners Monday of this week.

Guys please understand, no one is perfect, we try to be but we are not. We do however stand behind our products and always go the extra mile to make our customers happy. New help, holidays and two rounds of some really bad stomach flu have really handicapped us over the past month.

That said, happy customers do not normally have much to say, un-happy customers generaly are fairly vocal and we are listening. I do always have to wonder when someone
has a concern and posts it on the net instead of contacting the manufacturer, that is for any product by any manufacturer, not just Waffen Werks. If you contact me directly you will be promptly responded to and taken care of. rkcash@waffenwerks.com even if I am not well or if I am out of the country.
Waffen Werks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #26
Hamrhed
Система

Thanks Waffen Werks and Atlantic- I sure appreciate people that communicate well, and WW taking the time to address the concerns means a lot to me personally... I'm sure I will do business with both companies in the future
Old 12-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #27
Jgsav

AKaholic #: 164706

I contacted y'all with my problem and was told it wasn't an issue! You even got on here and said one thing then never responded back! Again when a gun will not reliably chamber a round that is an issue to me but your company doesn't think it is!
Jgsav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #28
mellow

Thanks for the response WW. some of us post on forums AFTER we have contacted manufacturer and still have uncertain status.For me, 2 months after I sent in rifle, I still can't get an answer on whether I am getting the same non matching rifle instead of the swap out hank nd I agreed on the phone.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #29
hellayella8888
Curio & Relic

big-ups to ATLANTIC FIREARMS and WAFFEN WERKS to take the time to post and show what they are all about: CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #30
Atlantic Firearms
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Mellow if you have a outstanding issue like that please email the owner directly he will be glad to track down any issues and get it rectified for you. If you purchased the item from us please do not hesitate to contact our office via email and let us know all the details we will be glad to follow up on your behalf. rkcash@waffenwerks.com
Old 12-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #31
Waffen Werks1

AKaholic #: 73847

Hi Mellow, please do not take my comments about posting things on the web as being directed toward you or anyone else on this thread.

By the way, I know your rifle and would like to speak with you about different options that you have. The rifle no longer has a mismatched dust cover, it has an original Bulgarian non-numbered dust cover on it which we sometimes use if a matching number cover is not with a rifle. It is rare but does happen. The rifle should not have shipped with a non matching cover, yours did slip through the cracks, for this we are embarrassed and very sorry.

This same rifle can ship back to you at your home address or we will be happy to send an all numbers matching rifle to your nearest FFL holder. We would also pay for all shipping and any transfer fees that you may incur. In
other words, under Federal law we can return the same rifle to you at your
home address but if we send a different rifle to you it must first go through an FFL holder in your state. A hassle I know but it is the law and we do sincerely feel bad about the situation so we will pay all shipping and fees plus send a little something extra to you at no charge regardless of which route you choose.

Please contact me rkcash@waffenwerks.com and I will get you taken care of very quickly.

Last edited by Waffen Werks1; 12-02-2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: miss spelled word
Waffen Werks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #32
forcemultiplier

Alright I said I would and I will, I recieved a call and email today 12-2 Sunday, yes Sunday about my address for the return of my rifle. WW said in email all necassary corrections have been made and my rifle will ship back on 12-3, guys that is service to me on a Sunday, Atlantic also emailed me about status, I will order another rifle from them ( another 47) and as for WW if rifle is correctly lined up and adjustments are right I will buy another, so fellow akers give WW a shot pardon the pun, I wil post pics and info upon return with arrows pointing to corrected probs. Thanks WW and Atlantic this was timely and your dedication on Sunday is outstanding!!!!!!!!! Forcemultiplier

Armament of free law abiding citizens is supposed to keep Government honest, our founders knew the only way to keep what happened in the old countries, European, from happening was the known variable, armed citzens who wouldnt be violaed the way our fathers were in Europe. We are living in a time much like the Civil War era, with a country divided, lessons learned in blood are supposed to keep us from repeating those blood lettings, however time has been an enemy of memory. We have forgotten many sacrifices of our fathers for us and in many ways we are a disappointment to them we have began to give away and squander what they bleed and died for, forget not why we are able to enjoy this forum, and our arms, as well as the many things we obviously take for granted, oh my country how I love you but, you are becoming a stranger to me!!
D.L.

Last edited by forcemultiplier; 12-02-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #33
HairTrigger
Contributor

AKaholic #: 164970

They'll take care of you. Here's a pic of a Perfect WW ak74. This rifle is flawless IMO. It has the nodak spud receiver stamp, so it's of the earlier run. NO FTF, NO FTE to date. Thanks Waffen Werks!! You can look at mine, while you wait for yours to get back.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #34
plouffedaddy
AKaholic

AKaholic #: 161751

My WW74s are great -- 0 issues whatsoever. I'll do up a review one of these days but since I occasionally trash products/guns/ect... that don't work I figured I'd comment on a product that has been great as well.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #35
Johnny5.56
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 155767

Very nice rifles guys!