Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > SVDs and RomAK IIIs

Old 02-21-2004, 11:07 AM   #1
Skilter

AKaholic #: 1021
Default NDM-86 .308 vs. M1A National Match...

Opinions on the differences between the two and the performance between the two...

I am considering either one of these and need some opinions.

Thanks...
Skilter

American by birth, Texan by the Grace of God.
Skilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 02:57 PM   #2
Tomac

AKaholic #: 1541
My $.02 worth:
Price: Both rifles are close enough in price there's no effective difference (for now... but when CDNN runs out of NDM-86s in the not-too-distant future the price of NDM-86's *will* go up...)
Accuracy: With match ammo the NDM-86 can do .5MOA right out of the box, I don't know what the M1A NM can do.
Triggers: M1A NM is set for appx 4.5lbs out of the box whereas the NDM-86 tends to run about 2.5-3lbs (but can stand some "cleaning").
Scopes: The NDM-86 does exceptionally well with the $120 8x42 PSOP scope and already has a QD siderail installed. You can also use just about any other scope you want (as long as the objective lens isn't larger than 42mm) w/the special SVD mount w/rings. The M1A isn't as QD scope-friendly (if that's important to you) and a decent scope/mount combo will cost you considerably more than $120! QD night vision scopes are also available for the NDM-86.
Parts: Spare parts are available for the M1A (if that's important to you), spare parts for the NDM-86 won't be available in quantity until 1 yr after CDNN sells their last one and they sell the parts they've kept back for warranty work.
Mags: Spare mags for the NDM-86 run 2x-3x the cost of M1A mags.
"Cool" factor: The NDM-86 will draw a bigger crowd at the range than an M1A will (only 1,000 NDM-86s in .308 were ever made).
Both have their good pts/bad pts, pick the one that best suits your needs (I chose the NDM-86... M1As will be around for a long time, NIB NDM-86s won't...)
HTH...
Tomac
PS- Detail stripping of the NDM-86 (including the gas system) is fast and easy w/no tools needed (only the takedown lever on the receiver).

Last edited by Tomac; 02-21-2004 at 05:35 PM.
Tomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 12:24 PM   #3
Sgt_Gold

AKaholic #: 512

I pretty much agree with Tomac on his observations. The M-1A will provide better sustained fire bacause of it's heavier barrel, and the M-1A will be a much much easier rifle to get any gunsmithing done on. The question is what do you intend to do with the rifle? Casual shooting? Competition?
Sgt_Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 01:40 PM   #4
Skilter

Casual shooting and hunting.

Old 02-23-2004, 01:41 PM   #5
Skilter

also, how does the weight compare?

Old 02-23-2004, 01:49 PM   #6
Sgt_Gold

AKaholic #: 512

I think the M-1A is a better choice for hunting because there are many more barrel choices, (there are none for the NDM-86). In some states you are restricted to a 5 round magazine. I don't hunt. Personally I would buy a NMD-86 for collectors value and to shoot for fun, but I'd get something else in bolt action for hunting.
Sgt_Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 11:30 PM   #7
Tomac

AKaholic #: 1541

I don't have an M1A on hand to weigh but the Springfield Armory website says the NM weighs 10.8lbs. The NDM-86 weighs about 9.5 lbs w/4x scope but it balances so well in the hands that it feels lighter. I know of at least one person who hunts w/his NDM-86. HTH...
Tomac
Tomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 02:37 PM   #8
Nickle

AKaholic #: 1769

I've got a Fed Ord M14SA (early, all US Parts, Win Bbl). It's rack grade and shoots fine. BUT, if it was my choice, why not have both. By the NDM now and the M1A later. NM's are heavy, though. Buy the synthetic stock, make sure you've got a good barrel, and you don't need the NM. Ask Fred @ fredsm14stocks.com. Most of us can't shoot better than a good rack-grade M14 anyways.

Geoff Gadbois, the Voice Guy
Nickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 11:24 PM   #9
Saleen

AKaholic #: 1857

I've hunted with an M1A and an NDM and the weight difference is significant. Part of that is balance I suppose, but that M1A really wears you out. In fact, when I did get a shot with my M1A I was so freaking beat from the climb that I missed a 100 yard shot that presented itself. My fatigue prevented me from reacting as quickly as I should have and that has never happened with my NDM.

Since I like to brag, here's what the NDM bagged this year in West Texas:

168gr Hornady AMAX from 184 yards.

Saleen
Saleen is offline   Reply With Quote