Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Old 11-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
ljhayes988

AKaholic #: 165219
Default Collapsible Stock on Centurion 39 Sporter?

Anyone know of a collapsible stock option for the Centurion 39 Sporter? It's got the double tang on the rear of the receiver. Have heard of people grinding off the lower tang, but I would prefer not to, if possible.

Any help is appreciated.
ljhayes988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
cgp
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 157920

I supposed you can do that. The lower tang would just be in the way. It's already a mixmaster of an AK so you're not really losing much.
cgp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

You could always grind a slot in your stock attachment :/

It ain't the hardware - it's the man using it.

Home | AK Files Custom Search | PicPaste | ImgDump | ☎ Nalioth
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
ljhayes988

AKaholic #: 165219

I thought that I would just try to alter the stock to fit, but can't seem to find one that will fit the angle and length of the lower tang.

It nearly breaks my heart to cut that tang off the rifle...Am I just being too sensitive to the thought of permanently disfiguring my brand new unfired rifle?
ljhayes988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:27 AM   #5
JHenry

AKaholic #: 163463

the cleanest looking option would be to cut the tangs and install an ace block and choose your own modular stock, There might be other ways that dont involve cutting the tangs but theyll look unnecessarily bulky at the back
JHenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
pistolis

AKaholic #: 165851

you bought a great gun
pistolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

No sense buying a nice milled receiver just to boogar it with a AR or some other folding stock. Just my .02.
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
Tommo
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 1190

Better to get a stamped AKM to use with a folding stock than to muck-up a milled receiver IMHO.
Tommo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #9
Georgia AK'r

AKaholic #: 166019

Does anyone know, or have tried to see if this one works?

http://www.tapco.com/products/index....d&productId=29
Georgia AK'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
noHECKLERmoKOCH

AKaholic #: 162764

I too am considering doing this once I get the rifle. Would the VLTOR be the only option that utilizes the existing tang?

I also believe the one mentioned above works the same..just not sure if the VLTOR is stamped only or not
noHECKLERmoKOCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:59 PM   #11
johnboatcat

AKaholic #: 161448
Default Centurion 39 Collapsible Stock and Krebs Selector

I researched the installation of these quite a bit and found little info so I thought I would post my solution here for others. I found one guy who had installed a CAA Command Arms AK-47 6-Position Polymer Tube for Commercial M4 Stocks on his 39 without cutting the lower. He uses the lower tang as a single point sling mount. I tried this and it works fine and does not look as weird as it sounds. The tang is not in the way and you do not alter the gun. You need to do some dremmel work on the lower section of the stock tube, but not much to get a perfect fit. The tube is a little larger than regular commercial spec and a magpul stock would not fit. I found that the AR-15 Strikeforce Stock does fit the tube.
On the Krebs Selector I could find nothing if it would work. I ordered a Krebs Custom Mk VI Safety for Machined/Milled Receiver Rifles Ref No.: AKM6M but received a No: AKM6. I had to do some dremmel work to the lower side of the selector to get it to work properly. I had to cut about 10% of the front of the thumb tab off to clear the little stud on the bottom of the receiver. I also had to cut some of the selector in front of the thumb tab so it would clear the end of the trigger pin. The AKM6M (correct one) might not need this work. I had already cut it before I noticed that they (not Krebs) sent the wrong one. The photos on Krebs site look the same, so it may or may not need to be altered. The cuts are minor and do not bother the function at all.
You will need to remove the trigger to remove the old selector. Pick the trigger springs up and tuck them behind the trigger. Put a twist tie or rubber band on them to keep them there. Lift up on the trigger retainer spring and push out the trigger pin. Remove the trigger. Remove the old selector by pulling it up and then through the slot. Insert the Krebs and test for function. Cut and trim as needed. The photos are before the final trim, polish and paint so you can see what was trimmed. I am going to paint all the new shiny parts with high heat flat black to match the receiver.

johnboatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:58 PM   #12
paratrooper101

AKaholic #: 4790

That looks ridiculous.
paratrooper101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:15 PM   #13
johnboatcat

Thanks! I thought so too, but it works great. Now if I like the configuration I can modify the rifle. If not I can go back to the original stock and I have not damaged anything. Oh, I guess you didn't understand that aspect of this little experiment. The officer who originally came up with the idea liked it so much he still uses it as his duty weapon and has yet to cut the tang. Looks is in the eye of the beholder, or something like that. I have enough pristine AK's. I wanted a beater that i could whack on and this is it!
Old 01-27-2014, 04:36 PM   #14
johnboatcat

Finished product.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #15
theAKpastor(ShortStock)
Resident Bubba

AKaholic #: 162490

i was just looking over this thread out of sheer curiosity, and i about spit out my coffee when i saw that thing ^^^

i like collapsable stocks and different furniture as much as the next guy, but that thing looks atrocious! that sight picture on the eotech... you could hold the stock under your armpit and still see the reticle if you squint, the rifle kinda looks like a shark with a high dorsal fin...

Vepr-12 | Saiga 7.62x39 | WASR 10/63 | Romanian Draco | 1951r Tula SKS | Pistol Palmetto State M4 Carbine | Palmetto State 9" Pistol build | 1945 Lee Enfield 303 | 20ga Bolt-Action | H&R 22lr Plainsman Bolt-Action | Tisas Zigana Sport 9mm | Beretta 92f Compact | Para Ordnance P14-45 Expert | Glock 22c | Glock 23 | S&W Regulation Police 38s&w | Mosin 91/30| Mossberg 500

"Вопрос не в том, кто будет препятствовать мне, это кто же остановит меня".
theAKpastor(ShortStock) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #16
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAKpastor(ShortStock) View Post
i was just looking over this thread out of sheer curiosity, and i about spit out my coffee when i saw that thing ^^^

i like collapsable stocks and different furniture as much as the next guy, but that thing looks atrocious! that sight picture on the eotech... you could hold the stock under your armpit and still see the reticle if you squint, the rifle kinda looks like a shark with a high dorsal fin...

SAY IT AIN'T SO!

Old 03-13-2014, 07:58 AM   #17
johnboatcat

"The Shark". Good name. I like it! Think I will use it if it's ok with you.

Sight picture works perfectly for me. You must have a short neck.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:59 AM   #18
Alderleet
alpha male, bar hopping Buddhist

AKaholic #: 162042

I need to find the pic, but a guy on ar15.com bent his lower tang up, and ground a slot in his polymer tube, to make it flush.

It looked nice.

Id do yours completely different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogadishu View Post
the mullet haircut, okie accent and the fact I dated my sister (but only for a little while)...
Alderleet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:14 AM   #19
jdindadell

AKaholic #: 158272

Ok, not trying to sound like a dick, so don't crucify me over this question:

What is the rationale behind the collapsible stock? I have thought about this and can only come up with shooting position as an answer. I like a short stock (warsaw length or a little shorter) but when going prone a longer stock "feels" better. And I guess if you have 2 different stature shooters who are going to use the same gun the collapsible stock makes sense. I generally set an ar stock to length and never adjust it again, so it may as well be fixed. Just wondering what other's insights on this would be?

I plan to put an archangel opfor stock on my 20" saiga project. Mainly because it offers an adjustable cheekrest so I can swap back to irons if needed. It does collapse as well, which may be useful when shooting prone. I will have to see when it is finished.
jdindadell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:21 AM   #20
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdindadell View Post
Ok, not trying to sound like a dick, so don't crucify me over this question:

What is the rationale behind the collapsible stock? I have thought about this and can only come up with shooting position as an answer. I like a short stock (warsaw length or a little shorter) but when going prone a longer stock "feels" better. And I guess if you have 2 different stature shooters who are going to use the same gun the collapsible stock makes sense. I generally set an ar stock to length and never adjust it again, so it may as well be fixed. Just wondering what other's insights on this would be?
IMHO, as a civilian, collapsible stocks are primarily to "be like (speshul operator!) Mike" or to allow the whole family to enjoy shooting the same gun.

For an organized military, the collapsible stocks are an excellent idea for a variety of reasons, including better fit for troops of various statures and the ability to adjust for body armor, winter clothing, etc.

I - personally - can't stand collapsible stocks, and remove them from my rifles. I'm fine with the M16A1 or Magpul MOE length fixed stocks.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:28 AM   #21
Dee2012

AKaholic #: 164700

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboatcat View Post
"
Haha -great comeback!

Not my cup of tea but to each their own.
I would suggest putting the EOtech on the handgrip rail, those dust cover rails are not good at holding zero.
Dee2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:21 AM   #22
johnboatcat

Back in my first posts I said I wanted to try this configuration but I didn't want to permanently alter the original. Had fun playing with it, and now it is back to original except the Krebs hand guard. Besides the $19.00 CAA mount I had all the other parts except the Krebs. The dust cover was a lot more stable than I ever thought it would be, but yes it throws the sight picture very high. See through rail was nice, and worked well, but too high. Now that hickok45 is in love with the 39 I am glad I didn't cut it up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_8xhPKU-0I
Old 03-13-2014, 11:13 AM   #23
Stroid
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 169406
Location: East Bay of the People's Republic of Komifornia, S.S.R

EYE BLEACH PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can also stamp European Selector markings into flats and blanks.

My grandfather lived through the rise of America... My father lived through the glory days of America... I live through the decline of America... My son will live through the aftermath of America...
Stroid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:18 PM   #24
jdindadell

AKaholic #: 158272

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboatcat View Post
I had missed this reply, very funny, and true at least for me. I do have a short neck and also have neck and shoulder injuries, so I have issues with some stocks. Especially anything like a montecarlo or non pistol grip stock as found on most shotguns and hunting rifles. I just cannot hold them right without my elbow sticking up and out like a sail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalioth View Post
IMHO, as a civilian, collapsible stocks are primarily to "be like (speshul operator!) Mike" or to allow the whole family to enjoy shooting the same gun.

For an organized military, the collapsible stocks are an excellent idea for a variety of reasons, including better fit for troops of various statures and the ability to adjust for body armor, winter clothing, etc.

I - personally - can't stand collapsible stocks, and remove them from my rifles. I'm fine with the M16A1 or Magpul MOE length fixed stocks.
Running a rifle with body armor is a good point. I can run a std m4 ar with the stock closed or out 1 or 2 clicks. So I guess it has value in that situation. I also like the a1 length, but can shot an entry length stock just fine too (pretty sure that is about the same as the vlosed position on an m4). I have an MOE fixed that I have yet to put on something, I will have to give it a try.
jdindadell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #25
soul rebel
tactically tactical tactician

AKaholic #: 167399

that looks like you took a shit on a piece of shit. might as well do it to that bastard AK.
soul rebel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:51 PM   #26
johnboatcat

Now rebel, what would your mother say she heard you talk'n like that in a polite thread? :-)
Old 03-13-2014, 01:05 PM   #27
soul rebel

sorry bro, but i think you could do better than that. has to weigh in at over 10 lbs. i like the krebs handguards. but whatever that top cover is and that stock have to go. unless you're using a magnified optic, collapsible stocks are not needed. bonesteel makes a folding galil-style stock for a 2 tang milled receiver that should fit and will look much better than that abortion. also, look into an rs regulate side mount and pic rail for the eotech.

all kidding aside, if you are happy with it, dont change a thing. you're the one shooting it, not the rest of us opinionated jerks.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:24 PM   #28
johnboatcat

Good guess rebel. 10 lb 8 oz. just a few posts above I said it is back to stock already, except the Krebs. I was just playing around with some parts I had after reading the start of this thread. When I am looking for light I will take one of my other AK's. They are all thin wire folders.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #29
soul rebel

my bad, must have missed that post. i am still conflicted about the c39. its kind of like russia making whiskey. that might be a bad analogy. just something not right about it...