Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Old 10-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
Kali110505

AKaholic #: 161782
Default Ak Armorers Course Recommendation

Hey Guys

I'm new to AK's and would like to take a Ak Armorers Course but I need a Recommendation. Can anyone recommend a Ak Armorers Course from a reputable school?

Last edited by Kali110505; 10-24-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Kali110505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

The internet contains all the information you will ever need on the AK. Written, tuttials, U-tube, Q&A Forums like this one on building. Google and the various sites dedicated to the AK etc.
AKBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:46 PM   #3
The Dark Knight
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 21186

Here is my youtube, I think it could answer some of your questions.

http://www.youtube.com/thedarkknightbuilds
The Dark Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:38 AM   #4
Rahatlakhoom
Raving Mad

AKaholic #: 7248

Honestly I think a person can learn as much here as paying for schooling.
You have to be willing to spend $$ on tooling and study the work of others.
Get yourself a parts kit and it will start speaking to you.
Lots of stickys here in the build it yourself forum.
And, lots of us here will answer any of your questions.
Your diploma is a fully operational rifle.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
Beaver Hunter
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 164221

Suarez International used to offer this armorers course. Not a bad course, but the AK isn't that complicated and a YouTube search and reading this forum will teach you everything you need to know. Of course, you can pay $150 for Suraez Armorer course if you want a piece of paper.
Beaver Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
Lucky13mfg

AKaholic #: 164817

I started school for gunsmithing a few years ago while I was laid off, I have the first half of the program done; the gun repair certificate. The last half of the program is concentrated on machining and stock making. These programs are aimed at learning about traditional types of hunting rifles. The largest employer of gunsmiths in the US is Gander Mt, so the programs are tailored to it.

The main advantage to going to school for gunsmithing is having access to different types of firearms to learn the mechanisms, hands on. My school had Glock come out and do an armorer course, for $150 you got to learn how to take apart a Glock and put it back together. I went to Brownell's Gunsmithing Fair where all the gunsmithing schools were attending and displaying their student's project guns, 99% of them were bolt actions.

I was litterally laughed at by my entire class for suggesting we build an AK as one of the raffle guns at our gunshow later that year. My instructor looked down his glasses at me and told me this program wasn't aimed at those "types" of guns. Between all the builders on this site and the stickies, there is a wealth of information here.

Don
Lucky13mfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
phat69
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 156026

http://www.robertrtg.com/aktoolmanual.html
Translation of a DDR AK tool kit with pics.
phat69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
WTSGDYBBR
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 154838

Quote:
Originally Posted by phat69 View Post
http://www.robertrtg.com/aktoolmanual.html
Translation of a DDR AK tool kit with pics.

Anyone have this factory book ??
WTSGDYBBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:18 AM   #9
Beaver Hunter
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 164221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13mfg View Post
I started school for gunsmithing a few years ago while I was laid off, I have the first half of the program done; the gun repair certificate. The last half of the program is concentrated on machining and stock making. These programs are aimed at learning about traditional types of hunting rifles. The largest employer of gunsmiths in the US is Gander Mt, so the programs are tailored to it.

The main advantage to going to school for gunsmithing is having access to different types of firearms to learn the mechanisms, hands on. My school had Glock come out and do an armorer course, for $150 you got to learn how to take apart a Glock and put it back together. I went to Brownell's Gunsmithing Fair where all the gunsmithing schools were attending and displaying their student's project guns, 99% of them were bolt actions.

I was litterally laughed at by my entire class for suggesting we build an AK as one of the raffle guns at our gunshow later that year. My instructor looked down his glasses at me and told me this program wasn't aimed at those "types" of guns. Between all the builders on this site and the stickies, there is a wealth of information here.

Don
I have seen this attitude by gunsmiths about the AKs. Sad, because an AK is also a gun......just like bolt actions.
Beaver Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:49 AM   #10
Lucky13mfg

AKaholic #: 164817

Yeah the funny thing is, the following year they built a custom AR15 to raffle off. What takes more "gunsmithing" type skills turning/pressing in barrels and riveting or using a torque wrench and punches?

Don
Lucky13mfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #11
BluePit

AKaholic #: 161922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13mfg View Post
Yeah the funny thing is, the following year they built a custom AR15 to raffle off. What takes more "gunsmithing" type skills turning/pressing in barrels and riveting or using a torque wrench and punches?

Don
Maybe for some, torque wrenches are a mystery?

On a side note. I always see the "build an AR while you wait" type tables at gunshows. Anybody every see a "build an AK while you wait?"
BluePit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #12
Dave Williams
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163660

No but one time I bought a stripped receiver and a full parts kit and put it all together while my buddy was driving us home Took about 45 minutes. We drove right to our shooting spot and tried it out.

AR's are so easy a caveman...nevermind.....
Dave Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #13
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

There was an intensive course in the Khyber Pass region of Pakistan near the Afghan border. At the end of the course they would have the students make an AK from a piece of railroad track using hand tools.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:49 PM   #14
valleyrat
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 40333

Anyone remember those AK armorer tool kits that numrich had a while back? I think they went for over a grand but the tools inside were neat. Bunch of odd tools like a mag dent remover, etc. Wish I had picked one up back then.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #15
Kali110505

AKaholic #: 161782

I would be interested in that kit as well. If anyone has info please let me know or post here
Kali110505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #16
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyrat View Post
Anyone remember those AK armorer tool kits that numrich had a while back? I think they went for over a grand but the tools inside were neat. Bunch of odd tools like a mag dent remover, etc. Wish I had picked one up back then.
Some of the armorer's manuals have the specs for some of those tools to make them in a machine shop.