Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > General Rifle Discussion

Old 10-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
BeginnerAK

AKaholic #: 159490
Question ITM Arms Co. AK-74, question

I was looking around on gunbroker and came across an AK-74 that the seller said was by ITM Arms Co. Haven't heard much about this company other than that their receivers aren't really good. Just wanted to know if I should stay away from ITM or not. Any help reguarding this is appreciated, thanks.
BeginnerAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

. . . and since GunBroker sellers are sometimes aspiring fiction writers, you only really know the gun was built on an ITM receiver.

Coulda been built by Sam Shadetree . .

Coulda been built be a highly qualified 'smith

It ain't the hardware - it's the man using it.

Home | AK Files Custom Search | PicPaste | ImgDump | ☎ Nalioth
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Disburse-Now
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 79142

BeginnerAK - I have at least three AK's that were built on ITM Receivers - and two of them are AK-74 variants built off of Bulgarian Parts Kits. The ITM receivers are primarily sold thru OOW (or Ohio Ordnance Works). The builder who built both of my Bulgy 74's (One in an Under Folder configuration, the other in a standard wood furniture mode), was/is an accomplished AK builder, who built enough AK's during his building phase of activity to completely fill a 40 foot CONEX, most of them on ITM receivers. They are a 1.2 mm thickness receiver, for what its worth. They have been eclipsed in the AK building arena by NODAK Spud, but a lot of kit built AK's were put totether, before NODAK came onto the scene, on the OOW ITM.
Disburse-Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
akass
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 155256

I have three older builds using the OOW.No problems.Going back in time,they were the only game in town.
Now, whomever did the build,could very well play a factor in the rifles outcome.
akass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
Buckxo

AKaholic #: 5920

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeginnerAK View Post
I was looking around on gunbroker and came across an AK-74 that the seller said was by ITM Arms Co. Haven't heard much about this company other than that their receivers aren't really good. Just wanted to know if I should stay away from ITM or not. Any help reguarding this is appreciated, thanks.
I have 3 matching number ITM receiver Bulgarian 74 kits that were NIB before demill built by Jason Cotter, and there is not a think wrong with those receivers. The most excellent builds he did for me way back when were on those kits and receivers.

New all matching number Bulgy kits coming into the country in 98, 99 era only cost about $159 and only had a couple of receiver choices such as B-west and OOW's ITM receiver. There were very few builders then too. We stayed away from the B-West at the time, and good thing.

YMMV...

V/R

Buck
Buckxo is offline   Reply With Quote