Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Old 09-17-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
gesundheit

AKaholic #: 162427
Default Making perfect receiver trunnion holes

I have been wondering about how to make receiver trunnion holes that are perfect circles instead of parabolic circles.

The usual workflow involves marking trunnion holes with a trunnion hole locator like this (The inherent design of this tool does not render itself to precise marking of trunnion hole and that is why 5/32" drill bits are used as it is expected to be off by a little bit)

Then using centerpunch to estimate the hole location then using a 5/32" drill to make the hole and then egging the hole to fill up the trunnion's hole.

Problem

The problem with this is that the center punch will most likely not be in exact center and then the hole needs to be dremeled to fill the drilled.

My question is there another way to drilling trunnion holes that is more precise?
gesundheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:12 AM   #2
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

Use the drill press and trunnion securing method. Covered in a lot of the build tutorials.

You use a bolt mechanism or other type jig that holds the trunnion squarely under the drill press., position the trunnion rivet location under the drill press & run the bit squarely into the trunnion hole. Then raise the drill press head ans sip the receiver over the trunnion and dril the hole.

example here>

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.co....shtml#anchor2
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
couch commando
Banned

AKaholic #: 161850

curtis builds this tool set for finding and drilling rivet holes, I believe it costs $65. Well worth the money.
couch commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
ironbike
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 156771

i own,,and reg, use both tools ,,,if the trunnion,,,f or r is in the proper place ,,,and you carefully use a spring loaded self strikeing center punch,,,followed with a center drill ,,then drill ur final hole ,,the pliars work just fine ,,,and soemtimes the setup with the other tool is about the same time ,,,,just my experiance with both,,,,,surely u can eyeball the center of such a small scribed hole ?,,,lol
ironbike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard

AKaholic #: 328

All spiral flute drill bits will drill oblong holes. This is the nature of the beast and why drill are usually .0015 smaller than the hole they make. A straight flute bit works better.

Lower hardness bits or dull bits will tend to walk more than hardened (cobalt, tungsten carbide) bits.

My holes are perfectly round exactly where I want them because I use a carbide endmill and have the receiver tightly clamped. My holes are slightly undersize to the rivet. After deburring the back of the hole and tightly clamping the receiver to the trunion, I can chase the holes. Any variation between the receiver and trunion are evened out in this process. chase hole, install rivet. Chase hole, install opposite rivet.

But if you are trying to get your dull, HSS bit through a manually retained receiver, you will have poor results. You cannot get good results using crappy materials. If your drill bit does not raise a chip in a few rotations, it is useless and continuing to spin it against the receiver is just going to make it hot and useless.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard

btw, I used to try to make the hole marking method luike the pliers work, but It ended up doing more work and worse results. All you need is something that will hold the trunion unmoving relative to the drill. You don't even need to drill all the way through, you can use a starter to mark the holes and drill by hand later, but if you have a drill press anyway, why not eliminate the human variable.

These rivet location markers from theyardstore.com have a spring-loaded punch that one can smack to mark after the other side finds the hole. Problem is they are made more for for two pieces of sheet metal than a more 3D object.

http://www.yardstore.com/browse.cfm/4,4191.html
Old 09-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
gesundheit

So this is what I have learned thus far:

1. Use straight flute carbide bit
2. Clamp the receiver down so that there is no movement during the drilling
3. Eye ball the center punch to land in the perfect center of trunnion hole locator tool
4. Use Curtis tool (I have been told by another builder that this tool is not good and folks get better results without it).

This is what I need to figure out "Use the drill press and trunnion securing method". I have seen a couple of videos on youtube where this method is used, but what I have yet to find out is how to secure the trunnion to the drill press.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gesundheit View Post
So this is what I have learned thus far:

1. Use straight flute carbide bit

not necessary - cobalt is fine. Spiral is fine, but straight flute is superior (no walking) and carbide is better than cobalt. Problem is, carbide is 3x the price of cobalt. But HSS is only good for 1-2 holes. Even my cobalt I get a bout 1 receiver before it goes to the drill doctor for resharpening.

2. Clamp the receiver down so that there is no movement during the drilling
3. Eye ball the center punch to land in the perfect center of trunnion hole locator tool
4. Use Curtis tool (I have been told by another builder that this tool is not good and folks get better results without it).

This is what I need to figure out "Use the drill press and trunnion securing method". I have seen a couple of videos on youtube where this method is used, but what I have yet to find out is how to secure the trunnion to the drill press.

A drill press mill vise. It is a flat vise that clamps to the drill press table using those funny slots.
my comments in red
Old 09-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
ott1

AKaholic #: 157734

It's similiar to what I do.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...ing-tools-here
ott1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
jdoming728

AKaholic #: 157837

The Jig from Guns and things and the one from Curtis is the best one I think and to date I have never had to egg or adjust any of the holes I have drilled for front trunnions with these Jigs...
jdoming728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #11
Blacksmith
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 10051

Old 09-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #12
a-kmanator
Resident Parts Hoarder
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 7569
Location: 100 yards to your right...If you can read this..You're in Range...

Quote:
Then using centerpunch to estimate the hole location then using a 5/32" drill
The problem with this is that the center punch will most likely not be in exact center and then the hole needs to be dremeled to fill the drilled.
precise?
Use a transfer punch right thru the pliar tool not a center punch. Will increase hole placement accuracy 100% ...no more "Eyeballing" the center.
http://www.victornet.com/report/Tran...nches/823.html
a-kmanator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #13
Dan FS71
ΑΩIs
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 54259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post

This is the method I use too. Quick dirty and effective.

If you are they type that checks to see if the door is locked 12 times after you just locked it.

Indicate the hole with a co-ax before you throw your endmill en you mill. An extra step will get you with in the 10z (10 thousands or an inch) Which is way more than necessary but many like to split rch-es for the fun of it.

================================================== =========================
The same administration who put "Assault Rifles" into the hands of Murderous Drug Cartels now seek to take them from you.
================================================== =========================
How is that for common-sense Change?

Old Testament Retribution. --- Gunplumber Style --- Served Here
Dan FS71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
gesundheit

Thanks all y'all for some really great ideas.

I will show BlackSmith's pictures to a friend of mine to see if I can replicate this on my cheap setup or if I need to upgrade. In the meanwhile, if anyone knows the most basic system that emulate this setup, I am all ears.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #15
Blacksmith
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Thanks all y'all for some really great ideas.

I will show BlackSmith's pictures to a friend of mine to see if I can replicate this on my cheap setup or if I need to upgrade. In the meanwhile, if anyone knows the most basic system that emulate this setup, I am all ears.
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PARTPG=INLMK32
With a drill press, these and a center cutting 4 flute end mill is all you need.
The stuff from ENCO is top notch. But if you want to save money, try Harbor freight.
Or you can do what I did and upgrade from a Drill press to one of the Harbor freight Mini mills.
Don't let the name fool you, the Mini mill is a beast. You can even mill out a receiver on it if you put your mind to it.

Edited to add:
For some reason the second link is not working. If you scroll down from the table link, it's the clamping set second down under "May we also suggest"

Last edited by Blacksmith; 09-17-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #16
gesundheit

Thanks Blacksmith. This is really useful. After I get this setup, I can rest assured that the rivets are sitting on top of perfect holes
Old 09-19-2012, 11:20 PM   #17
jasonixo

AKaholic #: 160287

Pay close attention to the tips on the center punches you purchase- make sure they are actually centered.
jasonixo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #18
RevRon
Hill Jack

AKaholic #: 156404

Quote:
Can you provide more info on the trunnion holding set up you have there? I'm assuming you made it yourself.

RevRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:10 AM   #19
Blacksmith
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevRon View Post
Can you provide more info on the trunnion holding set up you have there? I'm assuming you made it yourself.
The clamping kit, KANT twist clamp and Mill was purchased from Harbor freight and ENCO. I just put the pieces together.
See post #15.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #20
RevRon
Hill Jack

Quote:
The clamping kit, KANT twist clamp and Mill was purchased from Harbor freight and ENCO. I just put the pieces together.
See post #15.
I need to get some of those clamps.

How about this?

DSC01570

Old 09-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #21
Blacksmith
Curio & Relic

Quote:
I need to get some of those clamps.

How about this?

DSC01570
This is what you need.
I have the harbor freight version of this same kit but it did not come with those handy looking wrenches. With this kit and a little imagination there is nothing you can't clamp to the Mill table.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #22
RevRon
Hill Jack

Quote:
This is what you need.
I have the harbor freight version of this same kit but it did not come with those handy looking wrenches. With this kit and a little imagination there is nothing you can't clamp to the Mill table.
Thanks for the Link. Enco is about $20 cheaper then harbor freight. Who would have thought?

Old 09-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #23
Blacksmith
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Thanks for the Link. Enco is about $20 cheaper then harbor freight. Who would have thought?
ENCO is a good outfit. It seems like every time I put an order in with harbor freight I only receive about half of it along with an email stating that the other half was discontinued or out of stock. So far with my dealings with ENCO, I have received 100% of what I order. they have a great selection of end mills and reamers as well. Good stuff.

BTW
That Kant twist clamp is a must have as well. Without it, the end mill will shoot the receiver across the shop.

Last edited by Blacksmith; 09-20-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote