Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-74s

Old 09-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
Salvo

AKaholic #: 162240
Default question about changing out my GB, FSB on my Norinco .223

Can someone tell me about the GB on my Norinco BWK-92... I want to swap the GB and FSB out with a set from an AK74. I want the "lugs" for a cleaning rod. I lined the two GB's up and can see that the pin holes will not line up... Doesn't sound like that big a deal... My question is, do any of you know if the gas hole in the barrel will line up with the new GB in place, mounted so the piston tube is seated properly against the GB or will I have to get another gas tube?

I'm planning on dropping the rifle off at Kiloguns and have them do the install work. Just thought I would check here first to see if you guys knew whether or not this would work before I go bothering the guys at Kiloguns...

Thanks!

I hope I didn't prematurely buy these new pieces, if so... Oh well, I'll have them on hand for some project down the road...

Last edited by Salvo; 09-08-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Salvo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Revolver Ocelot

AKaholic #: 162876

It looks like the norinco has a 45 degree gas block so no it wont work. That lug isnt really for the cleaning rod, its for a GP series grenade launcher. If you can manage to just get the front sight block on that will be enough to keep the cleaning rod in place. I know from experience.
Revolver Ocelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
Salvo

Ok.... I thought I needed the GB for the cleaning rod... I see that they have the holes for it... I take it that the rod is "secure" and not rattling too much? I've not yet gotten to have an AK with a cleaning rod so just curious...

I'll still take it to Kiloguns for the FSB work then...

Also, Is there a reason the the non-45 degree GB won't work other than "not being" drilled at 45 degrees?

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

The 90 degree block can work. But you then loose your sling attachment point.
I would not put either of the AK74 parts on the Chinese.
A better swap is AK47 pattern Bulgarian milled parts from Apex as the swap. Then you can use the sling swivel, hold the cleaning rod and use a type 1 bayonet which does not need a lug but the two points on the Bulgarian FSB. But up to you.
I see you have the somewhat clunky muzzle device. Beter to have kilo thread the barrel. But just my .02.
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
Salvo

Thanks Blue!

I looked those GB's up.... Got one ordered!

Although I did have a sling attachment point on the new front handguard, I figured I would get the GB from Apex to get the cleaning rod hole and not have to change out the gas tube...

Thanks again!

Now to get the muzzle brake unpinned and have a look underneath... While on this topic, I don't suppose you know where to pick up a Norinco FSB with a cleaning rod guide hole???
Old 09-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #6
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

The Bulgarian parts have the cleaning rod retaining hole in the GB and the type 1 bayo ears and cleaning rod inlet in the FSB>

https://www.apexgunparts.com/popup_image.php/pID/1511 Gas bock., looks like they are sold out of the FSB but you should be able to find one easily enough in the WTB section here.
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
Salvo

Yep, That's the one I ordered... I'll have to look in the marketplace for an FSB...