Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Old 02-12-2004, 10:37 PM   #1
Ought Six

AKaholic #: 618
Default RPK build rear sight problem

I have an IO RPK parts kit built onto a Bulgie milled receiver. It was finally returned to me after two years of getting jerked around (don't ask), and it came back incomplete, with the wrong parts installed, and with the rear sights screwed up. The rear sight leaf is the stock RPK item, and the slider must be adjusted to 200 meters before you can even see the front sight.

So....

- If I just install a replacement sight set, will that likely solve the problem, or will it suffer the same misalignment? If the replacement sight is not the answer, then what does the fix involve?

- Has anyone tried the Williams FireSight AK replacement sight set, and if so, what do you think of it? How well does a peep sight work with the rear sight so far forward?

- I asked the 'smith to install a flash hider (making sure I had the acceptable # of 'evil features'), but he installed a muzzle brake instead (it looks just like the Cutts compensator on a Thompson M1921). It appears to be permanently attached. How much work is involved in swapping out the muzzle brake for a flash hider, and which flash hider do you recommend?
Old 02-16-2004, 11:45 AM   #2
recon-1
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 655

Sounds like the Informer thing!
recon-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 12:02 AM   #3
Packrat
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 8

The flash hider is like the folding stock, I believe--you can't have it at all. Probably why he installed the brake. It was intended to be a bitch to remove, and it is.

Have you tried adjusting the front sight? You are supposed to set the rear sight for 100 yds, then adjust the front sight to bring it to alignment. (Actually, the Soviet process was somewhat more complicated, but this works as well.) I don't understand "...the slider must be adjusted to 200 meters before you can even see the front sight..."; it sounds like the front sight is way too low.

A peep (aperture) sight doesn't work at all well that far forward; your eye has to search for the aperture, where it should line up automatically as you bring the rifle to your shoulder. I tried the Williams aperture that replaces the rear sight for the AK; there was that problem, plus the fact that the sight is fragile and easily broken, plus it isn't retained well. In addition, there is no way to adjust the sight for different ranges other than either sighting in for those ranges. You couldn't zero at one distance and adjust the rear sight for other distances.

The sight leaf is the same for the RPK and AK, as far as the calibrations go; the difference is accounted for by the curve of the sight base, so the distance the slide is moved is uniform but distance the U is raised correctly compensates for the bullet drop at the selected range.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:28 AM   #4
Ought Six

Quote:
r-1:
"Sounds like the Informer thing!"
Good guess.

=================================================

P:
Quote:
"The flash hider is like the folding stock, I believe--you can't have it at all. Probably why he installed the brake. It was intended to be a bitch to remove, and it is."
As I said, he and I both knew it was a Sec. 922 'evil feature'. I put a Druganov-style stock on the weapon specifically to get rid of the pistol grip, exchanging that 'evil feature' for the flash hider. The 'smith simply failed to follow my instructions, and installed what he wanted.
----------
Quote:
"Have you tried adjusting the front sight? You are supposed to set the rear sight for 100 yds, then adjust the front sight to bring it to alignment. (Actually, the Soviet process was somewhat more complicated, but this works as well.) I don't understand "...the slider must be adjusted to 200 meters before you can even see the front sight..."; it sounds like the front sight is way too low."
No amount of front sight adjustment is going to solve this problem. With the slider on the '1' setting, I can just barely see the tips of front sight protection ears through the rear sight notch.
----------
Quote:
"A peep (aperture) sight doesn't work at all well that far forward; your eye has to search for the aperture, where it should line up automatically as you bring the rifle to your shoulder. I tried the Williams aperture that replaces the rear sight for the AK; there was that problem, plus the fact that the sight is fragile and easily broken, plus it isn't retained well. In addition, there is no way to adjust the sight for different ranges other than either sighting in for those ranges. You couldn't zero at one distance and adjust the rear sight for other distances."
Thanks for the info. I was afraid of that very thing. I thought it might have a very large aperature (like a ghost ring), and might work okay because of that, but I guess not.

The tiny notch on the RPK sight sucks, so I intend to change it out for something else regardless. What is your recommendation for new 'iron' sights?
----------
Quote:
"The sight leaf is the same for the RPK and AK, as far as the calibrations go; the difference is accounted for by the curve of the sight base, so the distance the slide is moved is uniform but distance the U is raised correctly compensates for the bullet drop at the selected range."
The front post looks much the same as the one on my Norinco AK. The angle on the rear sight blade of the RPK build is tilted back almost 30. I would think it should be nearly upright. This tells me the problem lies with the rear sight blade, or the way it is mounted.

Could it have something to do with mating an RPK barrel and rear sight blade with an AK trunion ??? The RPK trunion is a little longer and fatter than an AK one, and may have a different sight base height and angle. The rear sight base is milled into the trunion, so maybe an RPK rear sight blade will not work right with an AK trunion. You would think an extremely knowlegeable AK gunsmith would take such things into account on one of his "museum-quality" builds.....

I plan to replace the sights anyways, but I am afraid that the underlying problem may be duplicated with the new sight set.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:10 PM   #5
miker15677

AKaholic #: 1636

He may have changed the base for the sight. The ramps that the sight adj barrels ride on are different for the RPK. If this is what he did then your screwed. It sounds like he used a sight base for a standard AK.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:53 PM   #6
Ought Six

The sight base is part of the trunion (milled into the top of it), correct ??? If he did use a standard AK trunion/sight base, then if I replace the RPK rear sight blade with a standard AK one, then it should work okay.... right ??? Or am I mistaken?
Old 02-19-2004, 10:10 PM   #7
miker15677

AKaholic #: 1636

The sight mount is seperate from the trunion on reg Ak's by puting a reg sight you should be all right unless he foobared something else up.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:24 PM   #8
Ought Six

Thanks for the info. I will look for a new AK rear sight leaf.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:17 AM   #9
Packrat
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 8

One thing I tried, but never got finished: build up the vertical blade with the U in it, then drill a hole through the blade and built-up metal so the center of the hole is about the top of the original vertical blade. I think you'd still have the problem of the aperture being too far from your eye.

What you need, if it was just a shooter, is to put a peep sight on the rear of a tight receiver cover.