Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Old 06-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
lharrell79

AKaholic #: 160138
Default Mak-90 thumbhole stock alternatives????

Hello, my dad just gave me a milled Mak-90 for my b-day. Happy b-day to me. It is the milled receiver with the slant back, single tang, and round hole in the back. My question is, what kind of stock alternatives are there for this model? It's a beautiful rifle, but the thumbhole feels terrible to me. Ironwooddesigns sells a set, but I think they're around $165.00 plus shipping. I know the set is probably worth it, but i'm just trying to see what else is out there. Any other alternatives out there?
lharrell79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
drjarhead
Mad Doctor

AKaholic #: 5952

Have you considered having a folding stock installed?

That's what it was originally designed for, I think.
--bax333
drjarhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
lharrell79

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjarhead View Post
Have you considered having a folding stock installed?

That's what it was originally designed for, I think.
Is there a folder that's made for this type of receiver? I might be interested.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:14 PM   #4
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

Most of the milled receiver MAK-90's have the rear of the receiver cut at angle, similar to folding stock models. It makes it difficult to change the stock. The receiver would require additional machining to fit an original folding stocks. It would be expensive, but it is possible.. The fixed stocks that fit are few and also expensive. Some are very nice though. A very few milled receiver MAK-90's have standard fixed stock receivers but they are not common and most have already been changed. The Ironwood stocks are some of the best. It's a good choice for the angle cut milled MAK-90's which is a rifle worthy of having a good stock. Inspect your receiver. Make sure it is angle cut. Make sure to order the right stock set for a milled receiver and not an angle cut stamped receiver.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:12 AM   #5
c0dy33
Warrior of Odin

AKaholic #: 158752

With a quality rifle like that I'd go ironwood also.
c0dy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
lharrell79

Ok, the Mak-90 I got is most definitely a milled, slant cut, single tang, with the circle in the back of the receiver. So, I guess the only company that makes a stock is for this type is ironwood. Does anyone know if the ironwood buttstock has any other mounts besides the single tang? It seems like that wouldn't be enough to hold the buttstock solid. Wouldn't it start to wiggle and wobble after a while?
Old 06-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

Quote:
Originally Posted by lharrell79 View Post
Ok, the Mak-90 I got is most definitely a milled, slant cut, single tang, with the circle in the back of the receiver. So, I guess the only company that makes a stock is for this type is ironwood. Does anyone know if the ironwood buttstock has any other mounts besides the single tang? It seems like that wouldn't be enough to hold the buttstock solid. Wouldn't it start to wiggle and wobble after a while?
Check the "angle" in the rear of the receiver. Most are cut, but the uncut ones also have a slight angle that is common to fixed milled receivers. Some of the cut receivers have a plate welded over the round hole in the back of the receiver. If you can see the hole from the outside, butt stock side, it might not be cut. It might be though. If it is a slight angle starting at the topit might not be cut. If the angle starts a bit below the top or the tang, then it is likely cut away from standard. The cut comes very close to a pistol grip when one is fitted. The Ironwood stock should include some hardware to keep it tight.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
David Sinko

AKaholic #: 155970

I actually like the so-called "butthole" stock on my MAK-90. My only complaint is that the stock is a bit thick and blocky around the thumb hole. I simply sanded it down to make it more user friendly and then refinished the stock. I considered going the Ironwood route but then I'd have to change out a few more parts to make it compliant, and there's no way I'm going to remove the smoother cycling, better made Chinese FCG and replace it with the inferior Tapco parts.

Choate also makes a replacement thumbhole stock that seems to get some excellent reviews.

Dave Sinko
David Sinko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #9
Renov8
Pax Americana-Invicta

AKaholic #: 122038

I actually bought an extra set of furniture from a guy selling the mak 90 furniture. I took the stock and removed the hardware, recoil pad and so forth. I then took a course rasp and opened up the thumbhole and minimized the thickness of the stock. Once I reduced the bulk, I took an orbital sander and sanded all the new angles smooth and the flat areas too. I am not done playing with it. have not finished it either. It looks great and feels a lot better without all that girth.

No pictures yet. Once finished, will post.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:16 PM   #10
lharrell79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renov8 View Post
I actually bought an extra set of furniture from a guy selling the mak 90 furniture. I took the stock and removed the hardware, recoil pad and so forth. I then took a course rasp and opened up the thumbhole and minimized the thickness of the stock. Once I reduced the bulk, I took an orbital sander and sanded all the new angles smooth and the flat areas too. I am not done playing with it. have not finished it either. It looks great and feels a lot better without all that girth.

No pictures yet. Once finished, will post.
Great, i'd love to see the pics.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #11
Trueno
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 5543

Quote:
Any other alternatives out there?
Ironwood is your best and least labor-intensive route, but if you're a glutton for punishment...

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106268

t

Dont try using me trying to educate myself ~ TheGreek!
Trueno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #12
Dferg10
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 155060

Congrats on the milled MAK-90. Those are sweet. The Ironwood for the angle cut is excellent. Buy once, cry once. You will not regret it. Do that and you will not diminish the value either.
Dferg10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #13
lharrell79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dferg10 View Post
Congrats on the milled MAK-90. Those are sweet. The Ironwood for the angle cut is excellent. Buy once, cry once. You will not regret it. Do that and you will not diminish the value either.
Do you have any idea how the ironwood buttstock attaches? My Mak only has one tang on top, and a hole in the back of the receiver. It seems like the buttstock would wiggle with just one screw in the one tang.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #14
TB215
Banned

AKaholic #: 156507

Get an Ironwood slant cut buttstock and pistol grip. Then use a Tapco mag and its 922 compliant.

It makes me cringe to see USA made parts on an AK.
TB215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #15
Running Rabbit

AKaholic #: 165739

Quote:
Do you have any idea how the ironwood buttstock attaches? My Mak only has one tang on top, and a hole in the back of the receiver. It seems like the buttstock would wiggle with just one screw in the one tang.
The Ironwood designs stock for the chinese milled angle cut is held in place with a bolt that goes all the way through the stock and attaches to a mounting plate that goes inside the receiver. The bolt runs through the stock and through the hole in the rear part of the receiver. Because of this they state that you cannot use the cleaning kit that fits inside of other ak stocks due to the space being taken up by the bolt.

So the one tang up on top and a long bolt all the way through. It sounds pretty solid to me. I really REALLY want one, but I am having a hard time coughing up $165 for it.
BUT
I got stamped Mak-90 from a guy earlier this year that has an Ironwood Designs stock set on it in Walnut and I have to say it is the single most beautiful AK rifle I've ever seen or owned in my life so I know it's worth every penny that they want.

Here's a picture of my stamped Mak-90. They make top notch products and considering what our milled Mak-90s are worth, $165 really isn't that much to make it look like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BudaMak90.jpg (39.1 KB, 30 views)
Running Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #16
JHenry

AKaholic #: 163463

very nice, i love my milled mak. Luckily for me my stock set was changed out when i got it(even though i did end up paying $950 but figured ~700-750 for the gun in its condition[very good] and ~165 for the stock set plus tax it wasnt too bad).

Sadly your stock options are pretty limited. Other than the fixed wood stock from IWD the only other alternatives are the original stock and polymer thumbholes. Milled Maks were not nearly as common as there stamped counterparts(i think they only imported the milled version for a year before the AWB hit). Because of this most companies dont make stocks to fit the non-standard reciever. As far as i know there are no adapters for ace style stocks or folders available for them.
JHenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #17
European_Firearms

AKaholic #: 163445

You could use the correct Chinese stock set, But make sure you stay .922(r) compliant. I'd just go with Iron Wood if I was you though.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #18
JHenry

AKaholic #: 163463

Quote:
Originally Posted by European_Firearms View Post
You could use the correct Chinese stock set, But make sure you stay .922(r) compliant. I'd just go with Iron Wood if I was you though.
the correct stock set wont fit i dont think. The milled mak was specifically designed to be a sporter and as such made the back of the receiver really abnormal. Where older polytechs take standard type 3 stocks the milled maks have a really odd circle cut out with a single top tang. Since these sporters were not made in any other configuration other than sporter, there are no original standard stocks that will fit it.

Sorry to be a buzzkill, but just dress it up with the IWD set and be happy because it is one of the most limited aks in terms of stock options(other than that its a fantastic gun)

EDIT: it just dawned on me that theyre refering to an underfolder which is possible but youd need to find a smith who is able to mill the cutouts and than get the circular hole plugged and than get the stock and assemble it. Personally i think thats more trouble then its worth when you can just get the IWD set and have a very nice ak

Last edited by JHenry; 12-14-2012 at 08:52 PM.
JHenry is online now   Reply With Quote