Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Saigas and VEPRs

Old 05-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #36
mancat
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 156827

Here's my take on it. I used a CSS bullet guide in my .223. It works fine, however when I was first using Galil magazines, the magazine sat very low in the receiver. HP bullets would sometimes catch on the forward lip of the bullet guide. These were actually able to bite into the guide, and after a few of these failures, the leading edge of the guide got pretty beat up. Once I started using magazines that sat at the correct height (Beryl), the problem went away. However, the guide is ugly as hell now, shows some copper fouling on the parts of the guide that were chewed up, so I'll be replacing it with a Dinzag guide.

The CSS guide certainly seems to be a bit "soft" if it's able to get beaten up this badly by copper jacketed bullets.
mancat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #37
IPSC

AKaholic #: 162283

Looking over the 5.45 /flat trunnion version (by Dinzag) in my hand..... the business-end looks like it has a noticable 45 degree chamfer on the upper edge that meets the forward end of the mag..... nice touch.

The machine work looks incredibly fine-finished on the Dinzag piece....we'll see how it performs once installed.

Odd....this piece uses an 8-32 screw whereas the other unit I have for a 7.62 x 39 with round trunnion.....uses a 6-32 screw.
IPSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #38
BCOWANWHEELS

AKaholic #: 157301

I just got a dinzag 5.45 b/g and it looks nothing like the one on brians web site. its totally flat at the mag end, no bevel at all and the mounting bolt is a button head allen wrench style not the beveled one like on his web site . seethe link below..... mine is nothing like the one in his advertisement.

http://www.dinzagarms.com/saiga_545x39/545rtg.html
i believe in john 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:34 AM   #39
IPSC

Me too....I spoke to Brian about this and this is apparently the new design. However, mine has a small, topside bevel where it meets-up with the mag. Silver-color, round head screw.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:10 AM   #40
BCOWANWHEELS

AKaholic #: 157301

I,am going CSS as its just like OEM BULGY.
i believe in john 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:16 AM   #41
IPSC

I like the fact that my round-head screw that holds the Dinzag guide in ( flat-trunnion 5.45)....is recessed fairly deep into the guide...the guide has a deep counter-sink. I've seen "other" guides where the head of the screw ends up slightly above the surface of the guide...and it gets *really* beat up from the cartridge dragging over it over time.

Combining that, the good dimensional quality, and it being apparently harder material than the other brands....made this an easy decision form me to go Dinzag.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #42
normak

AKaholic #: 158513
Default CSS or Dinzag?

I am not inclined at times to care about cost. I want reliability. Why not get both or try one and if its not all that great ( provided its installed properly) get the other. They can be removed.

I have seen guys at the range with conversions and they sometimes have trouble. Dinzags own website tells of this too. That part I do like.

good luck and good fun!
normak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #43
Maxaks
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 161479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountionman View Post
any one got a tutorial to make a bullet guide
Carolina shooter supply has one on there website
Maxaks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #44
blackforge

AKaholic #: 159731

Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
I am going to be ordering a bullet guide soon so I don't have the deal with the last round issue on my IZ-340. Was wondering what most of you guys go with? CSS has there for about $27 shipped while the Dinzag is about $30 shipped. Any noticeable differences?
We use dinzag but honestly I've run them both, on full auto! They both work fine. If there was gonna be a problem I would have seen it doing full auto drum mag dumps.
blackforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #45
njoenks

AKaholic #: 163269

I've installed the CSS bullet guide in my Saiga, works excellent, but I messed up while I was tapping the receiver for the mounting screw and just used a stove bolt and nut. I'm concerned that the thing will work loose (would be concerned with the screw included with the bullet guide too), and was wondering if anyone had or had heard about welding the bullet guide in?
njoenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #46
IPSC

Several options....you can use the next larger tapped hole and screw. Size 6-32 is typically used for 7.62 round trunion (maybe 8-32 for 5.45 flat trunion from Dinzag). Then install "as normally" and use Blue Locktite. So you'd be using either a 8-32 or 10-32.

Or.... you can use a real rivet, if you have the tools and machinery to gain access in that lower space between the lower shelf where the guide rests and the sheet metal receiver below.

Or....If you take the handguard off, and peering back into the receiver area, you can actually access and "see" the air space between the lower receiver sheet metal and the bottom shelf that the guide rests on. With tweezers or other tools, you should be able to insert a nut in that area to capture the screw that holds the guide in-place from above, as per normal .If you goofed up the tapped hole, use the same screw but open up the hole. Use a Nylock nut from below ( in that open airspace between the lower sheet metal receiver and shelf).... to capture the screw.

If you weld the guide in....you will have a heck of a time removing the guide once ( if) it gets banged up after lots of use.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #47
nalioth
Devil's Advocate

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPSC View Post
Or.... you can use a real rivet, if you have the tools and machinery to gain access in that lower space between the lower shelf where the guide rests and the sheet metal receiver below.
"Tools and machinery"? What?

Piece of scrap steel as a bucking plate and a ball peen hammer and flathead punch:

Yes, it's ugly as all get-out, but ya know, it works just fine.

It ain't the hardware - it's the man using it.

Home | AK Files Custom Search | PicPaste | ImgDump | ☎ Nalioth
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #48
IPSC

True enough...it's all about access to a tight area...Nalioth's method surely works, but I have to agree on it's aesthetics ...

Look how Arsenal does it....there is a thread about that ( with pics) on this board too, where that can be seen. It was done/riveted so nicely, people on the other thread argued it might come from Russia that way. I believe it was Nalioth himself who said Arsenal does it here.

EDIT... found the link---> http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showth...+guide+Arsenal

Last edited by IPSC; 07-30-2012 at 05:10 PM.