Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Old 04-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
dakota16

AKaholic #: 159019
Default CAI Yugo Zastava AKM-47 PAP M70 rifle, 7.62x39

CAI Yugo Zastava AKM-47 PAP M70 rifle, 7.62x39 What Are the pros and cons about this rifle? Are they any good or should I stay away from them...They are 649.00 j&g
Any info would be greatly appreciated....
dakota16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
themaxx76
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 156234

I don't think they are worth it. Hogged out PAP single stack. I'd say, spend $150 more and hunt around for a good buy on an M70 or buy an Arsenal SGL21 or get a kit and have it built. Too much money for what it is. A good WASR 10/63 that you can inspect before buying is a better buy than that thing. Plus you'd have $ left over for a case of Ammo.
themaxx76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
Zx-10R
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 40132

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx76 View Post
I don't think they are worth it. Hogged out PAP single stack. I'd say, spend $150 more and hunt around for a good buy on an M70 or buy an Arsenal SGL21 or get a kit and have it built. Too much money for what it is. A good WASR 10/63 that you can inspect before buying is a better buy than that thing. Plus you'd have $ left over for a case of Ammo.
I agree here...As desperate I am for a Yugo I am not going this route.
Smith and Wesson M&P 45, FN FNP-9. NYC in CA. Obama S(_)[KS!
Zx-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
hk1123
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 161499

Dont you have to install a bullet guide on them as well? Or am I off base here?

WTB/WTT - stubs, barrel work
hk1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
CDKJudoka

AKaholic #: 161637

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk1123 View Post
Dont you have to install a bullet guide on them as well? Or am I off base here?
I think the bullet guides are only needed for the Saigas.
CDKJudoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
tekkitan

AKaholic #: 161788

This isn't a Yugo for one, nor is it a true M70. Zastava is in Serbia now. Anything made there is no longer a "yugo". It is also a converted 10 round Zastava PAP sporting rifle, so it is not a real M70, imitation at best.
tekkitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
uncle remus

AKaholic #: 160796

true yugoslavia isn't a country. It is the same plant, the same receiver thickness, and the stock still bolts on from the back. Still a fine ak. I don't have a century build, but mine is double stack with wood and is awesome. eats everything I feed it and is surprisingly accurate.
uncle remus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
tekkitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle remus View Post
true yugoslavia isn't a country. It is the same plant, the same receiver thickness, and the stock still bolts on from the back. Still a fine ak. I don't have a century build, but mine is double stack with wood and is awesome. eats everything I feed it and is surprisingly accurate.
Doesn't matter. It is NOT a Yugo M70. They aren't even built from M70 kits. They are brand new sporting rifles completely butchered.

Also not everyone's is working flawless. I've read posts with people having feeding issues.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
Cy4ka
Banned

AKaholic #: 158050

Quote:
I think the bullet guides are only needed for the Saigas.
They are all basically the same thing internally. They should all have feed ramps if you plan on using hollowpoint ammo. Some have stepped trunions and some are circular.

If you need to install one, just affix a quartered piece of gaspipe in whatever way you decide and you're good. Don't pay $20+ for the same thing shipped to you and called something else by a company that makes said "bullet guides."
Cy4ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:10 AM   #10
sugarun

AKaholic #: 3717
Default Order 1... returned 1...

I got one of these Serb PAP... They are build like the orginals, the wood is not Teak. They are square back made receivers of Zastava "Yugo" quality. I returned mine because the mag well was NOT cut out enough to fit the mags properly. The only mag I could get to fit was the one that came with the rifle and it had been damaged to get it to fit and even it would not lock in the mag latch. I think if you get a one that was converted without any issues you will have a good Rifle. J&G was fantastic with the return as they understood the problem. I didn't want to take a chance on a replacement PAP @ $28.00 shipping charge per return. If I see one at a Gun Show priced right and it functios OK I would most likey buy.
sugarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:59 PM   #11
tekkitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarun View Post
I got one of these Serb PAP... They are build like the orginals, the wood is not Teak. They are square back made receivers of Zastava "Yugo" quality. I returned mine because the mag well was NOT cut out enough to fit the mags properly. The only mag I could get to fit was the one that came with the rifle and it had been damaged to get it to fit and even it would not lock in the mag latch. I think if you get a one that was converted without any issues you will have a good Rifle. J&G was fantastic with the return as they understood the problem. I didn't want to take a chance on a replacement PAP @ $28.00 shipping charge per return. If I see one at a Gun Show priced right and it functios OK I would most likey buy.
The only problem with that is that you cannot test fire it at a gun show, at least none of the ones I go to!

So if it were to have issues, you may have a harder time returning it unless it is a retailer and not a private seller.

I am not saying that they aren't good rifles (pending you get one that has no issues), I just don't agree with Century marketing it as a "Yugo M70" as it isn't. In my mind, they made a lot of money off of the M70 kits they sold and want to keep milking that and that is where the idea for this conversion came about.

Plus I think it kind of takes away from the people that bought actual kit-built M70B1s like myself
Old 04-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #12
hazmat97
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 8490

It's been my experience that a lot of importers/wholesalers gimmick market their products. M70 PAP not a Yugo rifle? So what. Romanian PSLs are not FPKs nor are they Dragunovs, but that hasn't stopped the advertising people from trying to capitalize on the name. You say Serbian AK and people look at you a with a blank stare. Call the same rifle a Yugo AK and the light suddenly comes on and they get it.

For the record, I've got a PAP single stack. I bought it for the express purpose of converting it to a conventional double stack rifle. I have an original M70 front trunion to replace the original. The conversion looks at this point to be pretty straight forward. Replace the trunion, remove the magazine support tabs, open the mag well, and replace the bolt. The latter has to be done in order to properly strip rounds out of the mag, since the factory bolt is designed for the single stack configuration. Everything after that is purely cosmetic.
hazmat97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:15 AM   #13
insider
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2882

Yugo, the other AK!
insider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #14
JIGBALLS

AKaholic #: 8735

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkitan View Post
Plus I think it kind of takes away from the people that bought actual kit-built M70B1s like myself
Its really NOT a M70B1s as it does not have a true Yugo made reciever and was not built in Yugoslavia you'll have to call it something else.
JIGBALLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #15
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

Callit a U-SA-GO B1..,
All good PAP etc., the Century built B1 and AB2 rifles were no gems anyhow. US barrels black plastic stock parts etc. But all part of the hobby., PAP, Century, home kit builds. Mitchell. Just gotta sort through what you want and how much you want to pay.

Yugo rifle were never stocked in Teak., that is a Mitchell Arms urban legend in their advertising.

Last edited by AKBLUE; 04-25-2012 at 07:34 PM.
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #16
gunsmokeTPF
Banned

AKaholic #: 162212

I bought my Mitchell pre ban Yugo AK47 underfolder, stamped RPK47, in 1988. Mine has no grenade launcher sight, which I think weren't on the originals at least not on the few that I saw. Some also didn't have the side rail for a scope mount, but mine did. At that time I really wanted the Steyr Aug, but they were selling for around $700 where my Ak went anywhere from $375 to $450. What was in my pocket determined what I could afford at the time. You have to realize that at that time there weren't many Yugos around in the first place and most were fixed stock and I liked the compactness of the underfolder. Because I was lax about it, it took well over a year to get the original scope mount due to the federal ban and $50 was well worth the price since I've never seen them for sale again.

I can't speak to the Yugos that have been placed on the market in recent years, but will say that the way mine is set up with a Russian recoil pad and Samson cheek rest, where a dremel and very careful preperation is required to install, it is a pleasure to shoot and is built like a tank. A year ago I placed a Ukrainian FED 1.5x4.5 scope that I got from Kalinka on it and I feel like I can't miss. It's a shame I ignored shooting it for 15 years, but now I'm trying to make up for it.

Others on this forum who have much more experience and knowledge regarding the AK can give a much more educated critique, as to whether or not the current Yugo type AK's are worth considering. As for mine I believe it's unbelievable, but far too expensive in this current market, but then again that depends on what's in your pocket.

I have many guns, which caused me to neglect this one for many years, but now over the past year,or so I've really learned to appreciate what I have. Thank GOD it was grandfathered in after the Sept 94 ban in NY. I'd send a photo, but never took one of this one and can't figure out how the heck to use the url.

Last edited by gunsmokeTPF; 04-25-2012 at 10:23 PM.
gunsmokeTPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #17
zastavapapguy
Banned

AKaholic #: 159009

I have a Zastava PAP (hence my username) and its flawless. its got the thumbhole stock thats really comfy, and single stacks. I absolutely love mine. no issues whatsoever.
zastavapapguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:19 AM   #18
sugarun

AKaholic #: 3717
Default Call it...

Call them Serb AK's! Buy the way I don't think you can test fire anything at a Gun Show...
sugarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:32 PM   #19
insider
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2882

Only the Mitchell's and American Arms pre-bans are true Yugo's, all the rest are parts guns. However, a parts gun can be just as nice as a pre-ban.
insider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #20
crashmaniac

AKaholic #: 74946
Default PAP M70

I have one I acquired very cheap because it wouldnt feed from any metal or polymer eastern bloc, chicom or U.S. polymer mags. Issue was bolt lug was single stack wouldnt push every other round from right side of mag follower , bought a bulgarian bolt from Cal guns ( couldnt find a yugo...weird) did some work to feed ramp so it would lock and checked head space WITH GAUGES !!!! Now she eats everything i throw in it, but i would not pay full retail for one as , if you dont have headspace gauges and need to buy them then it isnt a cheap fix
crashmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #21
Turbo6ta

AKaholic #: 170976

Everyone badmouths Century Arms (for pretty good reason ), but as far as the new Zastava O-PAP is concerned, Century does very little to the gun after it's shipped to them from the Zastava factory in Serbia.

1. Install a US made Tapco G2 trigger group (3ea - 922r compliant parts)

2. Install a US made black polymer pistol grip (1ea - 922r compliant part)

3. Install a US made slant-cut muzzle brake (1ea - 922r compliant part)

4. Install a US made gas piston (1ea - 922r compliant part)

5. Open up the mouth of the receiver slightly for the use of double-stack magazines

That's it, that's all Century does to the gun.

The receiver is heavy 1.6mm sheet metal along with a 'bulged' front trunion designed from the RPK (the rest of the various AKM / AK47s out there are 1.0mm)

The barrel is heavier than the standard AKM / AK47 variety (although it's not chrome lined)

The bolt is a true double-stack type (unlike earlier PAP models)

So, there you have it ... a gun built like a tank, and of coarse due to the heavier than normal receiver and barrel, the gun ain't light.

And BTW ... While the O-PAP may not be an exact copy of the military Zastava M70, it is a very close representation (minus the M70s grenade launcher gas-block, flip-up night sights and full-auto capability).

Oh ya ... the gun also is finished with bluing, and not some black paint like some other AK-47 clones available in the US.

Last edited by Turbo6ta; 09-21-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Turbo6ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #22
jeb88

AKaholic #: 168112

Holy shit why bump this old thread. There's like 5 threads on the pap rifles that are current.
jeb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #23
Turbo6ta

AKaholic #: 170976

Didn't even notice ... This thread is back from the grave!
Turbo6ta is offline   Reply With Quote