Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Survival and Preparedness

Old 03-27-2012, 02:42 AM   #1
TheGreek!
FAA certified Aircraft Mechanic

AKaholic #: 157160
Default Hunting, fishing, and preserving meat

There will be no meat available to buy when TSHTF. With that being said I've never hunted, never gutted anything, never skinned anything, etc., and I dont look forward to it either. My dad was a businessman, not an outdoorsman, and because of that I never got to experience that form of "education" unfortunately. I love the outdoors and I like animals, more than people even because they arent phony worthless fucks like our species is, and since I can afford to eat without hunting them I dont hunt them. But I also dont have anything against hunters and hunting just so everybody knows because its how we survived before everything was available for sale at the local store and when it all falls apart we better know how to hunt and fish to survive, and also learn how to store the meat for long periods without refrigeration. I do love fishing though and I gutted a fish once but that was gross enough for me to not wanna gut anything again, lol (I catch and release ever since then). But, I just might have to learn how to hunt and gut animals and do it right whether I like it or not depending on how far we fall...Soooooo, with all that being said, whats the best way to gut and skin a rabbit? A deer? A coyote? A rattle snake? A mountail lion? A boar? A bear? ALL of those animals are out here in Tucson beleive it or not including the bears. How do you properly "process" a fish? How do you make jerky? How do you process a skin so that it can be made into clothing? Whats the proper way to use salt for preserving meat? How much salt should I store away for preserving meat by the way? 100 pounds? 200? More? What are other ways of preserving meat w/no refrigeration? Any good links to how to do these things? Anybody got any good tips and tricks they learned that you wont find in books? Its VERY hot out here in the summer and I dont have the option to keep meat frozen in the winter by simply leaving it out in the cold because freezing temps dont come around much, and when they do they dont last long. Hunting and processing animals and meat preservation without refrigeration is something that I better learn and soon the way things are going with the country...
Old 03-27-2012, 03:22 AM   #2
HWI
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 161546

I am in a similar boat to you and have recently started to read up on these things. I have a PDF on how to field dress a deer here:
http://www.2shared.com/document/ii0g...-dressing.html
HWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
boomerdog
Stop paying $75 for .22 JUST

AKaholic #: 76368

You should look into building or getting an off the shelf smoker, for the red meats. I would think most small game or fowl would be consumed probably quickly, but no reason you couldn't smoke those also. Gutting and skinning IS nasty business, but comes easier with experiance. I don't know if your situation allows, but if you could raise a few chickens, you could kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. You would gain some knowledge on keeping animals, and ultimately preparing them for the table. For me, for some reason, I don't have the guilt factor towards killing fowl or fish. I always say a silent prayer of thanks when I harvest something, maybe I'm just wierd, I dunno, I just do.
Making jerky is easy, you could start a batch this evening if you wanted to, with nothing more than a simple marinade and your oven. Don't feel like your alone in this, cause you are most assuredly not. I'm quite sure the majority of us lack the proper skills to preserve meats.
boomerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
hk1123
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 161499

TheGreek! - those are a lot of questions, and to be frank, too varied to be dealt with in one sitting. In all honesty, I would love to help you out with what little I know (last years turkey and venison jerky were the tits, just sayin') - but we need to start somewhere - if you want to keep some opsec and send me a PM with a little bit more about your local, I could give you more personal answers - and point you to others in your area who could help, but what works for me on my PA mt top, most likely work for you. Also, I guess when SHTF, you wont care about johnny law, but if you want get some practice in first, we might want to get the game laws for you as well (not to be a downer here, but most states have them as felonies, so if you run afoul, you lose, dig?)
hk1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
Shadow Walker
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 10055

My ancestors used to can pork sausage in jars.

The process is pretty much the same as canning vegetables, The sausage is completely cooked, packed in the jars, the grease from the cooking is then poured into the jars to the top and sealed while still hot.

Get a subscription to "Backwoods Home" magazine. Almost every issue has information about DIY farming, canning, cooking and etc., plus articles on firearms, laws, and etc.,

"Backwoods Home" magazine is also a pro-gun, pro-U.S. Constitution magazine.

My wife and I save all the back issues "Backwoods Home" magazine for a DIY library.
Shadow Walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3433

backwoodsman is a good mag to

ya can google just about anything, just check multiple entries to cross reference

googled up ham and bacon salt curing for the old man( he couldn't remember how his dad did it), it worked out pretty good

a lot of ag extensions have directions for food preservation
6526 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
JTEXX53
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 93064

Don't think you'll be doing this if you live in a metro area. Ranchers will get a lot more protective of their lands natural resources.

I'm a city boy but never have killed or gutted a deer. I won't kill unless I need it to survive. I watched my late uncle do it. I now live in a rural area and there are a lot of deer and wildlife around. Watched an ex girl friend relative skin a deer in about 5-10 minutes, hide all in one piece You could literally walk along a FM road on a full moon night and easily get you a deer, w/o trespassing don't think the game warden would allow this, don't know about, if you had a hunting license. If the SHTF, probably wouldn't matter. Still tresspassing and poaching could get you killed real easy. Have a Co-op and split a deer up 4 ways, to use/eat fairly quickly.
Thanks for posting the tutorial link! If electric goes going to be hard to use a computer, Maybe start a survival reference guide notebook.
JT

Last edited by JTEXX53; 03-27-2012 at 12:58 PM.
JTEXX53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
TheGreek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTEXX53 View Post
Don't think you'll be doing this if you live in a metro area. Ranchers will get a lot more protective of their lands natural resources.

I'm a city boy but never have killed or gutted a deer. I won't kill unless I need it to survive. I watched my late uncle do it. I now live in a rural area and there are a lot of deer and wildlife around. Watched an ex girl friend relative skin a deer in about 5-10 minutes, hide all in one piece You could literally walk along a FM road on a full moon night and easily get you a deer, w/o trespassing don't think the game warden would allow this, don't know about, if you had a hunting license. If the SHTF, probably wouldn't matter. Still tresspassing and poaching could get you killed real easy. Have a Co-op and split a deer up 4 ways, to use/eat fairly quickly.
Thanks for posting the tutorial link! If electric goes going to be hard to use a computer, Maybe start a survival reference guide notebook.
JT
My other place out in the desert, there is lots of wildlife running around out there which is why I want to know about hunting. This is where I will bug out to if Tucson gets to be too dangerous to stay in when TSHTF:

Thats an old pic by the way, I mowed down ALL of that stickerbush and its now a carpet of green that I keep mowed down so that the stickerbush dont come back. I added another shed too, I put it next to the first one. It will be great for farming. Here's a view from the porch (the 1st pic shows some of my neighbors, I'm the last house in this VERY rural neighborhood before it turns into open desert):

Old 03-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
maxxmojo
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 154628

The answers you're seeking aren't going to come all in a post on a forum or by watching a 1 hour instructional DVD, but I'm sure you already know that. The first thing I would recommend is taking a hunter's safety course if you can. It's obviously going to go over the basic fundamentals of shooting and whatnot, and you'll probably be bored during all that, but it should include field dressing game in there as well. From my experiences dressing elk, deer, or rabbits are all basically the same, and it's usually not too bad unless you have a bad gut shot that liquified alot of stuff. Some people react badly to the sight of that kind of thing, so beware. Though if you haven't eaten something decent in a few weeks I'm sure you'll get past it.
Clinton and his Assault Weapons Ban where in the news. I asked him if he thought there could be an armed struggle in the US. His words still hold true today, "Men with beer bellies don't make Revolutions".
maxxmojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
ColonelKorn
Certified Certifier

AKaholic #: 6198

Put up a fence and git you some chikins!
Old 03-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #11
TheGreek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelKorn View Post
Put up a fence and git you some chikins!
You cant see it in the pics but the whole yard (5 acres) is surrounded by a barbed wire fence and the driveway has a gate. Two of the 5 acres have another barbed wire fence to create the horse pen that used to be there. It will take a HELL of a lot of chicken wire to fence it all off to keep the chickens in and the coyotes out but at least the poles are already there for it, lol.

When TSHTF the plan is to electrify the fence...
Old 03-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #12
RG Coburn
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 7184

You want to learn to clean critters,you need to get your hands dirty doing it. Latch onto somebody to show you,then do it. You can read about it,but ain't no where near the same as doing it.
A chicken or a decent sized fish would be a good place to start.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #13
DaTrowl
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 158168

chickens and rabbits and fish.... this is going to sound odd but,

dig a stock tank for the fish... duplex a hutch over it, you want the rabbits on top, chickens in the middle and fish in the water.... gather grass for the rabbits... feed rabbits, rabbits crap little pellets down to the chickens who ( sounds gross i know ) eat the little rabbit pellets...chickens then crap in the water.... which in turn feeds the fish. You end up with a fairly self contained food supply that you have to pitch a hand full of green grass into every so often.

as far as the meat goes... slice it almost paper thin, the thinner the better... smoke it till its jerky, you'll know whn its ready cause you could beat someone to death with it. it'll keep a few months at best given temp humidity and a few other factors are on your side. it will keep you from starveing to death but its not going to ever really satisfy you...you'll need vegtables and other roughage to fill your belly.

Research Pemican... its a meat/fat/nut/berry/grain mix indians used to mold into rough bar shapes for travel food and has been found in caves hundreds of years old and still good to eat. It would be a good way to preserve what you can outside of smokeing. Biggest thing with your smoked meats is to never let them get moist, keep them dry or they will mould up on ya pretty fast... not that the mould will hurt ya ( ever seen a REAL smoked ham and not a store bought one? you gotta cut the green outer layer of mouldy fat off and scrub it prior to eating )

I read somewhere awhile back that about the most cost effective long term food storage solution was basicly #10 cans of pork and beans and 1/2 inch thick slices of hot dogs mixed together and canned.... kinda off topic but still handy info...

you can sugar cure or salt cure larger chunks of meat than you could smoke.. but alot of their lifespan will be very dependant on how they are stored. Root cellers were designed for this reason... large underground rooms ( kinda like a storm celler ) to help keep em cooler and thus hold the meats taters onions and turnips longer than they would if stored out in the open but again, these were primarially used in states with 6 months of winter weather and not texas new mexico arizona or what have ya... I'd think in the hotter states, you'd be better off just jerking everything and relying on the heat and lack of rain to help buy you shelf life on it.

its not something that can be explained quickly or easily... its kinda a way of life your brought up into or not... not sure you could use a deer anatomy chart and successfully process a deer... but fail at it a few times and you'll start to figure it out pretty quick.

I don't know as much as I should, but I know enough to get by if i had to....should have paid more attention to my father and grandfather when they were alive and trying to teach me, they took knowledge to their grave I'd love to have now.
DaTrowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #14
SandStorm

AKaholic #: 161821

I have some excellent reading material (in paperback form) that was passed down to me so unfortunately I don't have many online resources to share. However, I'm in the same boat as you Greek, here in the desert.

The simplest form of preserving out here is going to be smoking meat, bottom line. Salt is also definitely going to be an asset for meat preservation.

I live on the far outskirts of town and own no other amount of land but my house and what little it sits on, so if the shit gets really bad I'm going to have to head for the hills 1/2 mile directly across the street. Do you guys have man made or semi man made watering holes for the wildlife out there in Tucson? We do here, and knowing their location (since they are pretty damn remote) is going to be key information.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #15
TheGreek!

The watering holes are on the cattle ranches near Tucson and on the ranches near my other place too. There's also a lake up on Mt. Lemmon (Rose Canyon lake). I come across the watering holes every now on then when I'm out on my dirt bike. Watering hole water WILL need to be filtered for sure because its always muddy and stuff. But its been a few years since I've been out riding, I need to get back on the trails and locate the holes again. My other property is nowhere near Tucson by the way, its in a forgotten little town that nobody every heard of and thats just the way I wanted it when I bought it...

The old silver bell mine near Tucson is flooded and so are many of the other abandoned mines out here, dont forget about them as possible sources of water....
Old 03-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #16
SandStorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreek! View Post
The watering holes are on the cattle ranches near Tucson and on the ranches near my other place too. There's also a lake up on Mt. Lemmon (Rose Canyon lake). I come across the watering holes every now on then when I'm out on my dirt bike. Watering hole water WILL need to be filtered for sure because its always muddy and stuff. But its been a few years since I've been out riding, I need to get back on the trails and locate the holes again. My other property is nowhere near Tucson by the way, its in a forgotten little town that nobody every heard of and thats just the way I wanted it when I bought it...

The old silver bell mine near Tucson is flooded and so are many of the other abandoned mines out here, dont forget about them as possible sources of water....
Ah yes, the mines. I actually have an excellent geographical/historical setup in close proximiy to me. Watering holes, abandoned mines, etc. I figure this route is going to be my best bet since everybody and their brother will be heading to the local and easily acessible lakes.

The water from the holes certainly does need to be filtered. Also though, remember the base purpose of them, to provide water to animals that you should be hunting.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #17
TheGreek!

Actually there's so much wildlife running around by my other place that I shouldnt need to stalk the watering holes for food. I plan on getting a FLIR camera soon, I'll use it at night for hunting from my front porch, lol....

Last edited by TheGreek!; 03-27-2012 at 07:31 PM. Reason: spelling
TheGreek! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #18
SandStorm

Must be nice! I wish I had a setup like that. I can only make a plan for what I have at the moment though, but it's better than being behind the power curve completely. Who knows, we may cross paths as we defend ourselves from the BS in AZ.

Anyway back on subject, here's a link I had saved.

http://www.omick.net/food_preservati...eservation.htm
Old 03-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #19
TheGreek!

When TSHTF I'll welcome all the help I can get, keep in touch...
Old 03-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #20
scaleE

AKaholic #: 154618

I am going to suggest you look into rammed earth construction.The mass of the wall provides thermal and acoustic properites .Also if its thick enough. it will stop ever thing up to a rpg rocket. It made from clay,sand,gravel and a little concrete [URL="http://Rammed earth solar homes inc"] gives workshops if you want to look it up Thanks E
Old 03-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #21
okla1911
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 159625
Default no time like the present

I too haven't ever been hunting for food. God willing, I will be using my PSL this fall on my cousins ranch in Osage County, OK to take my first deer! Now I've seen him skin a buck and it didn't look too hard. But then again you never know until you actually do it. Luckily I can use milsup ammo & the standard 10rd mag here in OK without an issue.
okla1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #22
boomer4570

AKaholic #: 5199

Greek, one thing to remember, by-pass the jack-rabbits. No nutritional value for humans. You will starve to death with a full stomach. Rattle snake is better!

"I'm Super-cereal, It's man-bear-pig. Half man, half bear, half pig."
Al Gore: South Park
boomer4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #23
TheGreek!

No nutritional value in rabbit meat? Why is that?
Old 03-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #24
boomer4570

AKaholic #: 5199

Not "rabbit meat" in general, "jack-rabbit" specifically. Something is missing, nutritionally speaking, and humans can starve to death if that is the main-stay of your diet.

"I'm Super-cereal, It's man-bear-pig. Half man, half bear, half pig."
Al Gore: South Park
boomer4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #25
my-rifle
Chilling like a quarter after five.
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 6179

Been a long time for me, but I seem to remember you have to stay away from rabbit in the summer. Something about the meat being tainted.

I grew up hunting, killing, skinning, and eating the wildlife that are everywhere in south Louisiana. Skinning's pretty straightforward. It's like taking off a glove. You cut around the wrists, then just start peeling. I find a really sharp knife is a good thing to have at hand to facilitate those spots where the meat holds onto the skin. Generally you're not concerned with keeping the skin whole, so you just tear it up and throw it away, but if you want to keel the skin whole you're going to have to use that knife to free up the skin when it binds.

Also if you're trying to preserve the skin you want to start with a slit up the belly and peel the skin to the sides instead of coming up from the wrists. It doesn't take too long. Now as for preserving the skin it's been a really long time, but I think I removed it, then scraped all the meat off it, then salted it liberally (if you can stand being liberal ), then letting it dry in the sun. Like I said it's been many years - like 40 since I did this.

Butchering is much like butchering a cow - you follow the grain of the meat to separate the roasts. Sections of the body have grains that run in different directions depending upon what the muscle's function is, so I seem to recall just separating the muscles from each other to get roasts. If someone with more recent expertise would chime in it would be helpful. We were hunting with .22s at night if you get my drift.

my-rifle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #26
DaTrowl
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 158168

meat not tainted, just wormy... if your starving, cook it well and dig in, worm is good eating... just gotta cook it well enough to cook off the eggs or you'll end up wormy too and that could be bad in SHTF with no meds...
DaTrowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #27
boomerdog
Stop paying $75 for .22 JUST

AKaholic #: 76368

OK, on the rabbit thing, read this, and scroll down to the "Importance" paragraph.
http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/wildli...ide/rabbit.asp

Rabbit is my favorite wild table fare, with Grouse a close second.
boomerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #28
hk1123
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 161499

rabbit starvation is eating too much lean meat. there isnt enough fat in rabbit - iirc. i could google, but honestly, i think i am right.
hk1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #29
spippin

AKaholic #: 61872

Quote:
My other place out in the desert, there is lots of wildlife running around out there which is why I want to know about hunting. This is where I will bug out to if Tucson gets to be too dangerous to stay in when TSHTF:

Thats an old pic by the way, I mowed down ALL of that stickerbush and its now a carpet of green that I keep mowed down so that the stickerbush dont come back. I added another shed too, I put it next to the first one. It will be great for farming. Here's a view from the porch (the 1st pic shows some of my neighbors, I'm the last house in this VERY rural neighborhood before it turns into open desert):

Man, that is nice Greek.. Hope to get something like that this summer in southern Mississippi. I can throw a rock and hit a stream, river or fishing hole where I am now, but its a subdivision. Looking for a few acres off the beaten path somewhere around me now.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #30
TheGreek!

Thanks for the compliment. I wanna dig out some bunkers in the side of the hill and make it into a rebel base when TSHTF....
Old 04-02-2012, 04:41 AM   #31
OMG Obama Must Go
MOɅΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

AKaholic #: 159331

Quote:
Thanks for the compliment. I wanna dig out some bunkers in the side of the hill and make it into a rebel base when TSHTF....
Greek, just thought about this from over in the container thread. Have you thought about getting you a couple or so 'tainers burried and let the house on the hill sit as a decoy?

Come and Take It
Si vis pacem, para bellum
If you wish for peace, prepare for war
OMG Obama Must Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:01 AM   #32
TheGreek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG Obama Must Go View Post
Greek, just thought about this from over in the container thread. Have you thought about getting you a couple or so 'tainers burried and let the house on the hill sit as a decoy?
Yes. After I saw the container thread I thought about building another house made of a couple of large buried containers hidden entirely inside the hill somewhere with a hidden entrance and some hidden escape tunnels that lead out into the surrounding desert. When TSHTF the visible house would be emptied and its contents moved into the hidden-in-the-hill house. Any robbers or squatters that try to get into the visible house can be easily handled because I'll have the element of surprise on my side. The money is the issue though, it might be quite a while before I can do anything like that...
Old 04-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #33
Cy4ka
☢ Powered by ИЖМАШ ☢

AKaholic #: 158050

Shave your meat in thin slices if possible and then sat it on racks to cure in the sun. The natives around me did this. You have to build a fire and really smoke the meat during the entire time to keep the bugs off and flies from laying eggs in it. After that it should be like jerky.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #34
my-rifle
Chilling like a quarter after five.
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 6179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cy4ka View Post
Shave your meat in thin slices if possible and then sat it on racks to cure in the sun ...
Man! I'll bet that would hurt!

my-rifle is online now   Reply With Quote