Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Optics

Old 03-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
vianegativa85

AKaholic #: 159808
Post Vortex SPARC

Just got a Vortex SPARC for my AMD-65 yesterday and after turning it on and looking through I realized that the red dot was noticeably blurry - I emailed Vortex and inquired about it and they responded back saying: Most people have some form of astigmatism that will cause the dot to appear misshapen, fragmented, or a cluster of dots.

They may be right... Guess who's getting an eye exam soon >_<

Otherwise it looks good, will be field testing it soon hopefully.

Crap.

"Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape."
vianegativa85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
CPL_Primeaux
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 157210

Nice dot. I have been looking at Vortex sights but think I might go with the Primary arms m4 clone. Its cheaper andd has a smaller MOA dot, wait.. I think the sparc does have a 2MOA, they may be the same size dot. But the PA sight is cheaper. Let us know how that thing does.

Id rather be duck huntin.
CPL_Primeaux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
vianegativa85

Will do. I'm pretty excited about field testing it (especially after I get glasses >_< ). I actually picked it up for $179.00 - definitely not bad for what I think it's worth.

"Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape."
Old 03-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
B52buff

AKaholic #: 161717

I have 2 strikefires and one of them I had to send back but they sent me one that works very well. I am looking at a SPARC for my Arsenal 21-66.

Can you post a side shot so I can see what your set up looks like? Thanks
B52buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
Prophet67
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 60710

Yeah, I have the Vortex Strikefire on one of my AR's and I am very happy with it. Enjoy your sparc!

Prophet

ETA: My eyes aren't the best either. The strikefire, if set too bright blurs a little for me w/out my readers on but, I turned it down a little and it's perfect...even w/out the reading glasses.
Prophet67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:36 AM   #6
CPL_Primeaux
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 157210

I like that sparc. I have seen the strikefires . I may look into getting that sparc

Id rather be duck huntin.
CPL_Primeaux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #7
vianegativa85

Finally sighted it in and it's looking good. 3-4" groupings at 100 yards - so that with an under $200 red dot on an AK platform and Russian ammo to boot is pretty good in my book.
Realistically any engagements with this would be within 50 yards anyway.

Sorry for the crappy quality picture - I will try taking more later on.

Last edited by vianegativa85; 03-20-2012 at 07:42 AM. Reason: grammar correction
Old 03-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
landser

AKaholic #: 18146

i just pulled the trigger on a vortex strikefire and BP-O2 i love it. I decided to do a review and make some video of some intentional abuse. http://thepracticalsurvivalist.blogspot.com/

video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Np8ov3UhY5k

more video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF8Xa...qtGYAowpLF2oo=
Old 03-22-2012, 11:53 PM   #9
Tantal13
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 83937

I don't own one of these yet but it is among the top contenders right now. I've read on other forums that some people leave them on the highest setting for a few hours and that clears them (and other brands) up some if the dot is fuzzy. That's what the posts said.

The_EE
Tantal13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #10
vianegativa85

So the sight is really only a bit blurry indoors and while looking at things at very close range. So I think for now I have a winner - still need to get my eyes checked anyway :P

Old 03-23-2012, 07:57 AM   #11
TedG954

AKaholic #: 48848

I moved my SPARC from my AR to my AK. I've had good results with it. I was really impressed with the field tests I found on-line.

Become an Organ Donor today: http://donatelife.net/register-now/ Save as many as 50 lives. Thanks.
TedG954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #12
Tantal13
Curio & Relic

Forgive the really stupid question (or maybe it's true there are no stupid questions just stupid people) but if one has a picatinny or weaver rail the scope comes with all that is needed to mount it? That's what I gather from reading it about at online stores.

The_EE
Old 03-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #13
Blazed30

AKaholic #: 69260

My Sparc is blurry as well and I own 3 other red dots and they are all fine.

If you have a rail everything else is inclued even if you have the optic specific plates its included. As long as you have some sort of mounting system already in place to put something on you will be ok.
Blazed30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #14
Tantal13
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazed30 View Post
My Sparc is blurry as well and I own 3 other red dots and they are all fine.

If you have a rail everything else is inclued even if you have the optic specific plates its included. As long as you have some sort of mounting system already in place to put something on you will be ok.
Many thanks for the reply. So it's blurry compared to three others? If you don't mind my asking which ones? Can you compare how you like them?

It's good to hear your answer. Before it came I pulled the trigger on one. So far I'm liking it. It hasn't been mounted or anyting, but it has been viewed through in sunlight yesterday and rain/clouds today from the porch.

The dot seems a little blurry on the highest setting but the brighter the ambient light the less of that there is. As others have experienced turning down the brightness tightens the dot and a bit ago due to clouds and the time it was easy to use outside on the lowest (not night vision) setting. Viewing objects farther away seems to tighten it as well. No it's not a perfect dot all the time but it doesn't look like a star cluster or cheap laser pointer either.

Never used the good stuff like Aimpoint or Eotech but this isn't in that price range. The doubler is better than expected, in fact the optics are better than expected as far as clarity.

When viewed through it does have a slight green tint so things are a little dimmer but still offers a good image. There is sometimes a red artifact at the top quarter or eighth of the image, even with the scope off. This comes from having a lamp that hangs from the ceiling turned on while looking into darker areas and certain angles. It may have something to do with the front optic coatings but I can still see into the affected area of course not nearly as well since it's a laser red sheen in the foreground.

The bikini cover is tighter than the smallest of the 72 virgins! I wonder how long it will hold up until it's two seperate covers?

I like this thing. I'm a newb with very limited experience. Looked through and shot with an Opsrey holo sight. Went to a store today and they had some Tasco models. Most would not light up, sales guy said they must have been left on. The one that did seemed to offer a dimmer overall image (did not do a side by side) and the dot was not as clear as the SPARC. It was less in price though. My past experience with Tasco makes me see the brand name and think of crap.

The goal now is to get it on the Tantal which needs a mounting system. If that delays it will go on another weapon.

The_EE
Old 03-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #15
Blazed30

AKaholic #: 69260

I have two primary arms and an eotech, I have fiddled with my adjustments and it seems to help but it still is blurrier than the other three. The magnifier is very nice the dot is usuable dont get me wrong but not crisp like the others. I had an early version of the PA's which was a bit blurry like this one. After buying this one looking back I would of spent the money on another PA and just might sell off the sparc and pick up another PA or a trijicon reflex.
Blazed30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #16
Tantal13
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazed30 View Post
I have two primary arms and an eotech, I have fiddled with my adjustments and it seems to help but it still is blurrier than the other three. The magnifier is very nice the dot is usuable dont get me wrong but not crisp like the others. I had an early version of the PA's which was a bit blurry like this one. After buying this one looking back I would of spent the money on another PA and just might sell off the sparc and pick up another PA or a trijicon reflex.
Thanks for feedback. It should do nicely for me and perhaps in the future there will be Aimpoint, Eotech, Trijicon or Meprolight for me. I've seen (not in person) some tri power Meprolight and Trijicons. Fiber optic, tritium and battery powered. Pricey though and being reasonable about how infrequently they would be used makes them not practical.

I've yet to try the Spark with night vision but in a dark room I can barely make out the dot. Instructions don't say to mount in front or in back of the NV scope but I'm thinking the NV scope would go in front.

Vianegativa85 your picture was worth a thousand words thanks for this thread!

The_EE
Old 04-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #17
vianegativa85

Just another shot.

AMD-65 Project

Last edited by vianegativa85; 04-01-2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Addition of link
Old 04-08-2012, 02:31 AM   #18
ChaneRZ

AKaholic #: 160730

I do have the Sparc as well and it is sweet!
ChaneRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #19
ohmysac

AKaholic #: 3544

You don't really want to focus on the dot. Focus on your target and you should see the dot sharpen right up for you.
ohmysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #20
vianegativa85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmysac View Post
You don't really want to focus on the dot. Focus on your target and you should see the dot sharpen right up for you.
Makes sense. After I field tested it I noticed that the blurring wasn't so apparent. So it definitely will be a good fit for my AMD-65 with hitting targets from 20-100 yards.