Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > SKSs, SVTs and other orphans

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 12:39 AM   #1
beefjerkly
Member
 
AKaholic #: 75040
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA,
Posts: 299
Default WTK value paratrooper sks

I'm looking at buying a paratrooper sks. The one I have my eye on is a norinco, spike folding bayo, regular (non-thumbhole) stock, imported from KSI Pomona CA. Overall condition seems good. What is the going rate and what is would a steal of deal be? Thanks!!!
beefjerkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
77patriots
Curio & Relic
 
77patriots's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 106007
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: LIBERTY,MO
Posts: 14,720
Default

Hard to say Sir... I knw it is no more then a real Russian full sized SKS
__________________
http://confoundedinterest.wordpress.com
http://usawatchdog.com/
JPFO+1
GOVERNMENT BY THE CONSENT OF THE GOVERNED



The MEDIA Is a WEAPON of MASS DISTORTION

truth found here-http://whatreallyhappened.com/

YOU NEED: to see this/Share this: The most important history lesson
http://youtu.be/5hfEBupAeo4
Beware the dual citizen
Zohar 1160a
77patriots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
bayoushooter
Member
 
AKaholic #: 158828
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Met./Louisiana/U.S
Posts: 369
Default

I don't know if its like this everywhere, but the para models run about $400-$450 on a local Louisiana forum. The para models seem to be more desirable, at least around here.
bayoushooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
nitrous_bob
Curio & Relic
 
nitrous_bob's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 158782
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: st clair shores, MI
Posts: 2,519
Default

is this one that takes AK mags ?

technically those are "sporters" but some call them paratroopers...both have shorter barrels

if yes ak mags....i see them sell for $500 which is crazy cuz you can get a MAK90 for that. but id pay $300

but if no...sks mags....i wouldnt pay anymore than regular sks...about $250-300
nitrous_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:34 AM   #5
Tigr
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 22359
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United States, Hawaii
Posts: 526
Default

If it takes AK magazines, then I think its an SKS-M. One reason those cost a lot more is because people buy them for that bullpup conversion. Granted the one in the picture is a Yugoslavian...

Tigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:03 AM   #6
norinco671
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 21756
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: wadb
Posts: 691
Default

the one you speak of, w/16" barrel and spike bayo, probably w/fixed magazine. any norinco nowadays w/16" barrel usually fetches from $350 and up, for simple fact there is no other country that imported them this way from the factory=unique. and we will never see them imported again from china. i have recently picked up a sks-m that will take ak47 mags, very lucky to have purchased from a friend who is the original owner at original price
norinco671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:08 AM   #7
norinco671
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 21756
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: wadb
Posts: 691
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigr View Post
If it takes AK magazines, then I think its an SKS-M. One reason those cost a lot more is because people buy them for that bullpup conversion. Granted the one in the picture is a Yugoslavian...

i have an sks-m and would not even think of doing such a thing to a sks-m.
dont know where you get that idea, the reason people buy the sks-m is to convert it to a bullpup
i like the sks-m just the way it should be
norinco671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #8
Adriana
Member
 
Adriana's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 13789
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by norinco671 View Post
the one you speak of, w/16" barrel and spike bayo, probably w/fixed magazine. any norinco nowadays w/16" barrel usually fetches from $350 and up, for simple fact there is no other country that imported them this way from the factory=unique. and we will never see them imported again from china. i have recently picked up a sks-m that will take ak47 mags, very lucky to have purchased from a friend who is the original owner at original price
In reality they were only cut down as an afterthought for the American market, usually by (for) the exporter/importer, many believe they were designed & manufactured this way but that is not the case.

As for value, whatever the market sets really. As I general rule I will not pay more than $250 for a 56 simply because you can find new/unfired ones for that (and less) if your patient.
__________________
Greed is good. Embrace it. Love it. Live it. In fact, greed may be the one thing that can save us. Don't believe me? Greed was the foundation for this country. The brave souls who risked their life to settle in a new country did so out of self interest. Our forefathers recognized the importance of self-interest in the Declaration of Independence where they emphasized our unalienable right to pursue happiness.
Adriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
norinco671
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 21756
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: wadb
Posts: 691
Default

yes i know, actually back in the day i forget the company, the actually flew in some engineers from china who manufactures their sks and asked if its possible to cut down the sks then walla a $250 sks now goin for as high as $500 bucks. its amazing how an after thought on a cheap sks can demand a higher price nowadays.
norinco671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:09 AM   #10
Tigr
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 22359
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United States, Hawaii
Posts: 526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by norinco671 View Post
i have an sks-m and would not even think of doing such a thing to a sks-m.
dont know where you get that idea, the reason people buy the sks-m is to convert it to a bullpup
i like the sks-m just the way it should be
Reason being is that the SKS-M works reliably with AK magazines. Most high capacity magazine attachments for other SKS's are pure crap that jam or can't feed a single reliably.

The bullpup kit isn't even a permanent modification, it's just a shell. You can still have your original wooden stock stashed away.
Tigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:03 AM   #11
norinco671
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 21756
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: wadb
Posts: 691
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigr View Post
Reason being is that the SKS-M works reliably with AK magazines. Most high capacity magazine attachments for other SKS's are pure crap that jam or can't feed a single reliably.

The bullpup kit isn't even a permanent modification, it's just a shell. You can still have your original wooden stock stashed away.
we all know its not a permanent mod. its up to who ever wants to put that bullpup on, more power to ya.
norinco671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #12
ThunderGod
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor
 
ThunderGod's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 62
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: N. Texas
Posts: 3,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriana View Post
In reality they were only cut down as an afterthought for the American market, usually by (for) the exporter/importer, many believe they were designed & manufactured this way but that is not the case.

As for value, whatever the market sets really. As I general rule I will not pay more than $250 for a 56 simply because you can find new/unfired ones for that (and less) if your patient.
Not true. Some of the later imports were cut-down rifles, but the factory Paras were just that; factory made short rifles. They way to know which is factory or not, is the cut-down rifles have a full-length gas system. The true Paras have a shorter gas tube and piston that were made that way, from the start.
__________________
"Sounded as tho' there was a bit of a squabble." Blind Pew
"Squabble? They're all dead!" Mister Moon
"All? Must 'ave been more of a tiff, then." Blind Pew

URCX: Your Best Friend on the Internet!

Neither Bee, nor Borg.
ThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #13
Adriana
Member
 
Adriana's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 13789
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderGod View Post
Not true. Some of the later imports were cut-down rifles, but the factory Paras were just that; factory made short rifles. They way to know which is factory or not, is the cut-down rifles have a full-length gas system. The true Paras have a shorter gas tube and piston that were made that way, from the start.
All 'Paratroopers' were cut down rifles, period.
(I would welcome any info that shows otherwise)

The shortened gas system your referring to is usually seen on the so-called M model AK-mag variant, which was also never an actual 'production rifle' so to speak but cobbled together specifically for U.S. import. I say usually because they have popped up on other AK-mag variants most likely due to trying to get rid of stock on hand as the shortened system was never needed in the first place.
__________________
Greed is good. Embrace it. Love it. Live it. In fact, greed may be the one thing that can save us. Don't believe me? Greed was the foundation for this country. The brave souls who risked their life to settle in a new country did so out of self interest. Our forefathers recognized the importance of self-interest in the Declaration of Independence where they emphasized our unalienable right to pursue happiness.
Adriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #14
Adriana
Member
 
Adriana's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 13789
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by norinco671 View Post
yes i know, actually back in the day i forget the company, the actually flew in some engineers from china who manufactures their sks and asked if its possible to cut down the sks then walla a $250 sks now goin for as high as $500 bucks. its amazing how an after thought on a cheap sks can demand a higher price nowadays.
Not quite, your (very) loosely referring to Midwest Ordnance who actually designed the AK-mag variant (not the 'Paratrooper'). They wanted them imported this way to save $$ so the Chinese fellers came over then went back and started importing them as the 84, then the D, etc. But the Paratroopers were all cut down 56's.
__________________
Greed is good. Embrace it. Love it. Live it. In fact, greed may be the one thing that can save us. Don't believe me? Greed was the foundation for this country. The brave souls who risked their life to settle in a new country did so out of self interest. Our forefathers recognized the importance of self-interest in the Declaration of Independence where they emphasized our unalienable right to pursue happiness.
Adriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:43 AM   #15
c0mbatphil
Member
 
AKaholic #: 161514
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Illinoize.
Posts: 38
Default

Para norincos like mine go for $500 around here. My tapco 20Rd mags have 1200rds on em. Work great for me after cleaning up the insides of em a touch.
c0mbatphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #16
ThunderGod
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor
 
ThunderGod's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 62
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: N. Texas
Posts: 3,227
Default

Navy Arms. One of their versions of the "Para" was called the "Cowboy Companion," or some-such.

Adriana, I've seen thousands of Norinco, factory "Paras" with short-gas systems and spike folders. In fact, the factory shortened the gas systems for that exact reason; to accommodate the front sight/bayo mounting point. Just because they were made for the American market, does not obviate the fact that they were made to be "Paras" from the start, and were not just "cut-down" rifles. Do you understand that?

China dumped so many surplus SKSs on the American market, that they actually had to make new ones, too.
__________________
"Sounded as tho' there was a bit of a squabble." Blind Pew
"Squabble? They're all dead!" Mister Moon
"All? Must 'ave been more of a tiff, then." Blind Pew

URCX: Your Best Friend on the Internet!

Neither Bee, nor Borg.
ThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:19 AM   #17
ThunderGod
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor
 
ThunderGod's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 62
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: N. Texas
Posts: 3,227
Default

BTW, you also know that the Chinese made stamped-receiver SKSs, right?
__________________
"Sounded as tho' there was a bit of a squabble." Blind Pew
"Squabble? They're all dead!" Mister Moon
"All? Must 'ave been more of a tiff, then." Blind Pew

URCX: Your Best Friend on the Internet!

Neither Bee, nor Borg.
ThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #18
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor
 
AKaholic #: 5035
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hilliard, Ohio
Posts: 15,265
Default

The short rifle (16 inch barrel) SKS carbines were made in several variations for the US market. Whether cut down or with shortened gas systems they were for export/import to USA purposes vs military.
There was also a cross over of short SKS rifles that also accepted AK style magazines as well.

This is a fairly detailed list of the SKS rifles that accept AK type magazines.

Detachable AK Magazine - SKS Models
SKS-D - 20" standard stock, normal markings on receiver, detachable bayonet
SKS-M - 16" monte carlo stock, stamped sks-M on receiver, neutered bayonet lug.
MC-5D - 16" monte carlo stock, stamped MC-5D on receiver, no bayonet lug, SKS style mag release. Similar to SKS-M
SKS Sporter - 16" D-handle stock (thumbhole), stamped sporter on receiver, neutered bayonet lug. Similar to SKS-M
Type 84 - 16" standard stock, normal markings on receiver, folding bayonet, bolt hold open button located on bolt carrier, AK mag tangs must be modified to fit
SKS -NR - 16" D-handle stock, stamped NR on receiver, neutered bayonet lug
SKS-63 - 20" D-handle stock, stamped 63 on receiver, neutered bayonet lug, front site open on top
Midwest Conversion - 16" or 20" standard stock with filler plate, normal markings on receiver, neutered bayonet lug
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #19
mike44
Veteran Member
 
AKaholic #: 159197
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,076
Default

I had a Norinco SKS Para, that had the bayonet removed, but the slot where it would have folded into had a wood piece in the spot and finished beautifully with the rest of the stock. I sold it for $250 to a dealer at a gun show, not really the price I wanted but It went towards what I was trying to get at the time so all is well.
Mike
mike44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:28 PM   #20
Ak-sharpshooter
Veteran Member
 
AKaholic #: 11436
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: morganton GA.
Posts: 1,320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriana View Post
In reality they were only cut down as an afterthought for the American market, usually by (for) the exporter/importer, many believe they were designed & manufactured this way but that is not the case.

As for value, whatever the market sets really. As I general rule I will not pay more than $250 for a 56 simply because you can find new/unfired ones for that (and less) if your patient.
Paratroopers are not just "cut down" they are different barrels altogether. The paratroopers have a different ratio of twist in the barrel (much tighter) to accommodate for the shorter barrel.
__________________
Shoot, Get Shot or Get the f#%k out of the way!!!
Ak-sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #21
Adriana
Member
 
Adriana's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 13789
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderGod View Post
Adriana, I've seen thousands of Norinco, factory "Paras" with short-gas systems and spike folders. In fact, the factory shortened the gas systems for that exact reason; to accommodate the front sight/bayo mounting point. Just because they were made for the American market, does not obviate the fact that they were made to be "Paras" from the start, and were not just "cut-down" rifles. Do you understand that?

China dumped so many surplus SKSs on the American market, that they actually had to make new ones, too.
Okay I'll try one last time, there NEVER was such a rifle as a 'Paratrooper' made by the Chinese, only cut down rifles supplied to the U.S. market by importer request. These were unofficially branded as a 'Paratrooper' because that was the purpose for most short versions of full length rifles. They are generally identical in every way to the standard Chinese SKS because that's exactly what they are standard SKS's that have been cut down.

The only 'short gas tube' SKS produced that was not an AK-Mag conversion (which were never considered 'Paratroopers' as they had actual names and never made for the military) is the 'Sporter' variant, which is actually labeled Sporter, SKSS, or SKS-S. These were exclusively built for U.S. import and never 'fielded' or intended for military use, they are commercial exports as I stated from the beginning. And the vast majority of the ones I have seen also use cut-down barrels, the way you can spot them is that the crown is not chromed.

I would by all means LOVE to see even a fraction of all the "thousands" of short-tube, non-commercial 'Paratroopers' you claim to have seen as they would fetch a pretty price. In fact I would love for you to produce even two or three....
__________________
Greed is good. Embrace it. Love it. Live it. In fact, greed may be the one thing that can save us. Don't believe me? Greed was the foundation for this country. The brave souls who risked their life to settle in a new country did so out of self interest. Our forefathers recognized the importance of self-interest in the Declaration of Independence where they emphasized our unalienable right to pursue happiness.
Adriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #22
Adriana
Member
 
Adriana's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 13789
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBLUE View Post
The short rifle (16 inch barrel) SKS carbines were made in several variations for the US market. Whether cut down or with shortened gas systems they were for export/import to USA purposes vs military.
There was also a cross over of short SKS rifles that also accepted AK style magazines as well.

This is a fairly detailed list of the SKS rifles that accept AK type magazines.

Detachable AK Magazine - SKS Models
SKS-D - 20" standard stock, normal markings on receiver, detachable bayonet
SKS-M - 16" monte carlo stock, stamped sks-M on receiver, neutered bayonet lug.
MC-5D - 16" monte carlo stock, stamped MC-5D on receiver, no bayonet lug, SKS style mag release. Similar to SKS-M
SKS Sporter - 16" D-handle stock (thumbhole), stamped sporter on receiver, neutered bayonet lug. Similar to SKS-M
Type 84 - 16" standard stock, normal markings on receiver, folding bayonet, bolt hold open button located on bolt carrier, AK mag tangs must be modified to fit
SKS -NR - 16" D-handle stock, stamped NR on receiver, neutered bayonet lug
SKS-63 - 20" D-handle stock, stamped 63 on receiver, neutered bayonet lug, front site open on top
Midwest Conversion - 16" or 20" standard stock with filler plate, normal markings on receiver, neutered bayonet lug
None of the above are 'Paratroopers', you are correct in that they are ALL for commercial export into the U.S.
__________________
Greed is good. Embrace it. Love it. Live it. In fact, greed may be the one thing that can save us. Don't believe me? Greed was the foundation for this country. The brave souls who risked their life to settle in a new country did so out of self interest. Our forefathers recognized the importance of self-interest in the Declaration of Independence where they emphasized our unalienable right to pursue happiness.
Adriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #23
Adriana
Member
 
Adriana's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 13789
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak-sharpshooter View Post
Paratroopers are not just "cut down" they are different barrels altogether. The paratroopers have a different ratio of twist in the barrel (much tighter) to accommodate for the shorter barrel.
Wow! Just wow!
I would love for you to cite or produce some of these....
__________________
Greed is good. Embrace it. Love it. Live it. In fact, greed may be the one thing that can save us. Don't believe me? Greed was the foundation for this country. The brave souls who risked their life to settle in a new country did so out of self interest. Our forefathers recognized the importance of self-interest in the Declaration of Independence where they emphasized our unalienable right to pursue happiness.
Adriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #24
Disburse-Now
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 79142
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA, Lakeland, FL
Posts: 2,568
Default

One doesn't see SKS for sale in the quantity they once were some 15 years or more ago. Pres Klinton authorized the importation of over 12 million Chinese SKS rifles alone into the US, as well as some 400,000 Russian Mavarov Pistols. (That alone must have caused epileptic fits among the anti-fireram crowd) I came across an SKS thumb hole stock SKS variant at the Lakeland Gun Show this last weekend (21 April 2012) -it ws available for $450.
I had a Paratrooper with the thumb hole stock that took AK Mags. It resides in an undisclosed secure remote location at the present time. Out in the greater world of firearms are a lot of SKS rifles here in Amerika- I would say considerably more than 12 million at present, with all the Russian, and Romanian, Yugo etc models being imported over the years.
Disburse-Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #25
thomas27
Member
 
AKaholic #: 156572
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 123
Default

yesterday at a locall ffl i seen a chicon paratrooper busted up condition, bayonet lug hacket off crudely and on serial #s that were visible the trigger guard was differant numbered.... it had a sold sticker on it $480!! no lie
and i just was given one from a friend and was about to sell it for $200 in better condition but with no originol rear housing. otherwise great condition.
i guess some people do there homework through their dealers when it comes to purchasing rifles. i believe part of why sks get such a premium is alot of times first time gun buyers or at least first time buyers into the military type rifles get talked into thinking they are something more special than what they are by dealers who are ruthless.
thomas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #26
uncledoodoo
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 39372
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Radio-Free-Texas
Posts: 775
Default

I was looking at one on Texasguntrader for $500. It talked me into this for $429 and free shipping at Centerfire (it will take AK mags too for less than $500).

uncledoodoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #27
Stoned_Oli
Curio & Relic
Contributor
 
Stoned_Oli's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 157099
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledoodoo View Post
I was looking at one on Texasguntrader for $500. It talked me into this for $429 and free shipping at Centerfire (it will take AK mags too for less than $500).

Ooh, bi-pod and AK-74 brake. Sexy.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon View Post
I'm sure it was magical for her the way you describe it.

Did you at least have the decency to make her chug the other 11 beers first so she could block it out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Teague View Post
And here I thought it was "Every seven years Nails gets the Porn Fair".
Stoned_Oli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #28
Archivist Dick
Member
 
AKaholic #: 1437
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 156
Default Something Missing

Where does one tack a bayonet on that sporter AK?
Archivist Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.