Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Galils, Valmets and the R series

Old 01-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
Rophey

AKaholic #: 160882
Default Galil replacement barrels

I am finding a number of chrome lined and nitride lined Galil replacement barrels. Which one is going to give more barrel life guys? Of course most sources are claiming both are factory IMI. Weren't original equipment Galil barrels always chrome lined?
Rophey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Blazin

AKaholic #: 157635

Check this out: http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showth...-barrels-69.99
Blazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
loner42

AKaholic #: 4644

What a bunch of nit pickers on Uzitalk. I posted a thread on these barrels when AoA first got them. I bought one and they are absolutely beautiful barrels.
I believe they are Military contract barrels made by an IMI Licensed mfg. like :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indumil in Guatamala

They have Nitride coated bores which are supposed to be better than chrome lined. The only drawback I can see to these ( if there is any ) are the 1-12 twist and being 18" .
The only way to find out is to try one out and see. Try to find a better made US barrel for 70.00 .
I also have an orig. IMI barrel and there are no markings on it anywhere that says IMI.

—William S. Burroughs

Gun control defined: The theory that people who refuse to obey laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft, and murder will obey a law which prohibits them from owning a firearm.
loner42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
Blazin

I guess I'm a nitpicker too because I like a bright shiny barrel, and I bought one of those nitride coated barrels and it appears a little cloudy. I sent it back and got a replacement, and the replacement looked exactly the same.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
loner42

AKaholic #: 4644

I'll have to look at mine but I thought it was shiney. If it isn't then it is probably because of the Nitride coating.

—William S. Burroughs

Gun control defined: The theory that people who refuse to obey laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft, and murder will obey a law which prohibits them from owning a firearm.
loner42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
jdoming728

AKaholic #: 157837

I have two of these and dont need one if you want to trade or buy this one I will send it to you if you pay shipping... Its is a IMI.....
jdoming728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
Blazin

Quote:
Originally Posted by loner42 View Post
If it isn't then it is probably because of the Nitride coating.
Totally agree, and I'm sure the barrels are fine, they appear to be very well machined. I come from a target shooting background and am not used to looking at a barrel that doesn't appear flawless. I'm a self proclaimed nitpicker