Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Handgun Forums > General Handgun Discussion

Notices

Old 07-17-2017, 08:57 AM   #1
nofreetime
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 180281
Default UPDATE PG2....Now that 10mm & 44 mag ammo is affordable what toys in these...?

I've always wanted a couple guns in 10mm & 44 mag but the ammo has been so pricey until now that I just couldn't have afforded to shot those calibers often enough to justify owning guns in those chamberings. Now that I'm seeing the ammo prices come down what should I buy and stock up on ammo for now while it's cheap? What would you get with say $2k to blow on 2-3 guns?

Last edited by nofreetime; 08-27-2017 at 08:43 PM.
nofreetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:31 AM   #2
Sigiloso
Banned

AKaholic #: 185454

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofreetime View Post
I've always wanted a couple guns in 10mm & 44 mag but the ammo has been so pricey until now that I just couldn't have afforded to shot those calibers often enough to justify owning guns in those chamberings. Now that I'm seeing the ammo prices come down what should I buy and stock up on ammo for now while it's cheap? What would you get with say $2k to blow on 2-3 guns?
In the 10mm, I guess it depends on which type of pistol you like Glock, 1911 patterns, and CZ/Witness types come to mind. Personally I am partial to the CZ types.

As for the .44, its either the Desert Eagle, or a revolver. A Smith or Ruger. I am partial to the Smith, but Ruger's Redhawk, is a fine revolver as well. Don't over look the SAs either, like the Ruger Blackhawk. Sometimes you can pick up a good deal as SA's are not as popular as DAs these days. Nice guns though. I've got a Blackhawk with a custom 5" barrel I really like that I picked up used for cheap.

As far as DA vs SA, and barrel length, that is going to come down to what you plan to use it for,(carry, hunting, plinking)

Don't overlook a companion carbine either, both of those rounds perform well in a longer barrel, although you will be limited some in the 10mm, as I think the only ones out there would be the Mechtec conversion for the Glock, and an AR type. There are many levers, bolts and some semi autos for the .44 though.

If you like the unique and are masochist, maybe look at one of the American Derringers.

Also to make them even more affordable, look into reloading. Big bore pistol rounds are one of the areas you can save the most in by reloading, especially if you cast your own bullets. You will also be able to make up loads tailored to your uses/preferences, that may not be readily available on the shelf.

Personally I think shooting for three, I would go with the CZ type 10mm, a Ruger Blackhawk, and some type of lever carbine in the .44/ A Marlin probably if I could find a good deal on a nice older used one.
Sigiloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:32 AM   #3
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

AKaholic #: 5008

I own these, so thats all I can recommend.
My wife was afraid of the 44 magnum but she loved how well it handles recoil.

The 1911 in 10mm is a double stack......must have

http://www.mrgundealer.com/product.t...t-syn-grip-mss

https://gun.deals/product/armscor-19...s-g10-grips-61

AK Files custom search
Aceshigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:50 AM   #4
AK-104
Swollen Member

AKaholic #: 162667

I owned a Dan Wesson Pointman in 10mm years ago which was super accurate and a very beautiful pistol. I ran hot ammo in it, and it still behaved like a pussycat. I also owned a Desert Eagle in .44 Magnum, and it served no real purpose for me other than to put a huge assed grin on my face everytime I fired it.

If I were looking for something with serious power, just to have some fun... The .44 Magnum is where I'd start. The 10mm is fun, but doesn't feel very impressive when fired to me.

If I had the budget you describe, and wanted into both calibers.... I'd grab a Used Desert Eagle in .44 Magnum, a Glock 29 in 10mm, and ammo with the remainder of the cash.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:57 AM   #5
Corpsie
^^e0w~

AKaholic #: 168814

Quote:
If you previously felt these were unaffordable to shoot, I'll suggest getting one pistol in one of the calibers you have listed.

If you want a great warranty, go for the Ruger SR1911 in 10mm and stock up on Sig Sauer 10mm when it is $0.45/round or less. Sig has been the only value-priced 10mm that is loaded almost to full power.

If you choose 44 Magnum, get a Desert Eagle if you are ok with more frequent cleaning. If you want to avoid more frequent cleaning getting a 44 Magnum revolver with a 4.5" to 7.5" barrel. I plan on getting a Ruger and cannot comment on other brands.
Corpsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:12 PM   #6
GuzziMike
DEPLORABLE

AKaholic #: 159432

I have an IAI Javelina in 10mm. It is based on a long-slide 1911. It is one of my smoothest shooting handguns.

You can't go wrong with any of the 10mm handguns mentioned above.

I also have a Dan Wesson .44 Magnum revolver with a 8" barrel. It is one of my most violent handguns to shoot.

Both are very accurate out to 100 yards. The 10mm I can shoot all day.

The .44 mag I'm good for about 50 rds. After that, my aim turns to shit due to the heavy recoil.

Having said that, I'd recommend a revolver in this caliber.

The Dan Wesson 714 revolver is a top quality gun worth considering, as are similar name brand handguns.

-

PALMS 7.62-39: Though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no evil, for I wield a mighty AK, and I'm Reckoning to Go Medieval on thy Marxist Demons

GuzziMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:23 PM   #7
ddnc
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174853

Deagle .44
RIA pro match ultra, long slide HC, 10mm.
ddnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #8
Stopsign32v
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 176461

This will be my next revolver.

Stopsign32v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #9
pre1989
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 175922

I am a big fan of both rounds ..Have shot and used both so

for 44 mag

1. You want something cool at the range get a DE 44 mag ...They can be picky on ammo but recoil is lite on them prob one of the easier to shoot full load 44 mag handguns ..Note the old models the IMI and other made Isreal guns dont convert to other calibers easily but new models due
2. Cool rifle get a rugger 44 mag they made a nice auto loader ..I like the one I had but gave up and sold it as it again like the at the time pricy hot hot hot ammo the cheeper import stuff would not work ....
3. Handgun get a pre lock model 29 s&w if you want the cool Dirty Harry look ..Or a Ruger if you want a gun that will fire the stupid crazy over load rounds

For 10mm
Less options really now only EAA,1911 markers ,Glock ,Sig make a 10mm ..So you got to ask due to want a 1911 a Sig 220 or a Glock in 10mm ..I like the Glocks in 10mm as they are the few other then 1911 that hold more then 9 or 10 rounds

For rifles I think the Kriss rifles in 10mm are very cool and a good idea with there recoil system
Old 07-17-2017, 01:12 PM   #10
fpk762
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 166849

Sig makes some nice full power 10mm ammo. Most factory stuff is loaded to 40 short and weak loads. The 180gr fmj is a sweet price to. I handload most stuff but lately just been shooting sig sauer ammo in the g29.

Hard to justify a revolver over any semi auto, even my glock 29 has 11 rounds. Full power 10mm is between about a 357 mag and 41mag and has about the same energy at 100 yards that a 45 auto does at the muzzle.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/sig...tol-ammunition

Last edited by fpk762; 07-17-2017 at 01:21 PM.
fpk762 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:41 PM   #11
giantpune
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 188807

Depending on local laws, a 10mm carbine could be something nice to hunt with. Some places only let you hunt with rifles if they're chambered in straight-walled pistol calibers.
giantpune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:48 PM   #12
Mattylight30
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172152

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantpune View Post
Depending on local laws, a 10mm carbine could be something nice to hunt with. Some places only let you hunt with rifles if they're chambered in straight-walled pistol calibers.
Call me crazy but a Sub 2K in 10mm and ran off glock mags would be sweet.
Mattylight30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:51 PM   #13
Mattylight30
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsie View Post
If you previously felt these were unaffordable to shoot, I'll suggest getting one pistol in one of the calibers you have listed.

If you want a great warranty, go for the Ruger SR1911 in 10mm and stock up on Sig Sauer 10mm when it is $0.45/round or less. Sig has been the only value-priced 10mm that is loaded almost to full power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpk762 View Post
Sig makes some nice full power 10mm ammo. Most factory stuff is loaded to 40 short and weak loads. The 180gr fmj is a sweet price to. I handload most stuff but lately just been shooting sig sauer ammo in the g29.

Hard to justify a revolver over any semi auto, even my glock 29 has 11 rounds. Full power 10mm is between about a 357 mag and 41mag and has about the same energy at 100 yards that a 45 auto does at the muzzle.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/sig...tol-ammunition

About the only factor loading that Ive seen that isn't loaded as a function round and not paying .50 cpr for .40 S&W.

Mattylight30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:54 PM   #14
md80captain
Banned
Gold Contributor

AKaholic #: 180880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattylight30 View Post
Call me crazy but a Sub 2K in 10mm and ran off glock mags would be sweet.
Nothing crazy about that. I just doubt the blow-back action would handle it.
md80captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:15 PM   #15
nofreetime
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
I own these, so thats all I can recommend.
My wife was afraid of the 44 magnum but she loved how well it handles recoil.

The 1911 in 10mm is a double stack......must have

http://www.mrgundealer.com/product.t...t-syn-grip-mss

https://gun.deals/product/armscor-19...s-g10-grips-61
I'm considering the Model 44 Taurus but I can't find either night sights, or a CT laser grip for it. Curious if you can telll me if S&W N frame grips & sights will fit it even with light modification? I did see the laserlyte avail for it but I don't the placement of the activation switch.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:47 PM   #16
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

This may , or may not work.
Just a quick search result.

http://shootingthebull.net/blog/lase...blic-defender/

As for night sights, I'm not sure you wanna shoot it at night, or indoors for home defense. It's 164 decibels
The flash will screw up your night vision, and indoors without earpro will probably discombobulate you.

Range usage, you'll be fine tho obviously. Hope this helps.

AK Files custom search
Old 07-17-2017, 04:51 PM   #17
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattylight30 View Post
About the only factor loading that Ive seen that isn't loaded as a function round and not paying .50 cpr for .40 S&W.

I just bought a bunch of that SIG 10mm ammo @ Cabela's when they had it on sale for 25% off about 2 weeks ago.

Haven't tried it yet.....but it had the best velocity and power ratings outside of buffalo bore on the shelf.

AK Files custom search
Old 07-17-2017, 04:52 PM   #18
nofreetime
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre1989 View Post

For rifles I think the Kriss rifles in 10mm are very cool and a good idea with there recoil system
A Kriss pistol with a tailhook on it excites me along with a 44 mag either 4" 629, or Taurus model 44. I just don't really know if I'm sure I want to get 10mm to shoot mostly 40 powered loads tho.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:53 PM   #19
nofreetime
Veteran Member

Quote:
I just bought a bunch of that SIG 10mm ammo @ Cabela's when they had it on sale for 25% off about 2 weeks ago.

Haven't tried it yet.....but it had the best velocity and power ratings outside of buffalo bore on the shelf.
What was price?
Old 07-17-2017, 04:54 PM   #20
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

If you want something for pure giggle factor....Get the 44 magnum.

Big ass bullets, make big ass fireballs, and bring big ass smiles.

AK Files custom search
Old 07-17-2017, 04:55 PM   #21
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

Quote:
What was price?
I wanna say the SIG 50 packs were $26 minus 25% , but I had to pay a 5 cent per bullet
Crook county bullet tax ($2.50 a box) , then I got my 5% veteran discount which nearly negated that.

So I don't remember ....lmao
I think it was $20.xx per 50 box before the rest of the nonsense and tax.

I was on Ammoseek in the store checking, and couldn't find a better deal then that, and the Gun counter
guy came up to me warning me about the 5 cent crook county tax, because he knows most people get pissed
but I know my Vet discount negates it.

I was checking every ammo's 10mm specs to see what was garbage 40 loads in a longer case.
The SIG ammo had the best numbers on the box. 1250 muzzle energy, 624ft lbs
https://www.sigsauer.com/store/10mm-...-ball-fmj.html

AK Files custom search
Old 07-17-2017, 05:12 PM   #22
nofreetime
Veteran Member

Quote:
This may , or may not work.
Just a quick search result.

http://shootingthebull.net/blog/lase...blic-defender/

As for night sights, I'm not sure you wanna shoot it at night, or indoors for home defense. It's 164 decibels
The flash will screw up your night vision, and indoors without earpro will probably discombobulate you.

Range usage, you'll be fine tho obviously. Hope this helps.
Thanks. That's the laserlyte activation is thumb activated on the right side of the pistol I don't like the activation system. I want the 44 mostly and primarily as a range and fun gun but would like it pull to be able some double duty and need to see at night with it.

My real reason for considering the model 44 over the 629 is both cost but also the factory porting. I'd like to be able to run 100 or so Mag rounds though it in a range session without hating it. Not really sure if I'll need porting to accomplish this. Seems if I went with M44 over the 629 I'd loose the wide availability of accessories with the S&W, which stinks I like the looks of the Taurus better.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:13 PM   #23
nofreetime
Veteran Member

Quote:
If you want something for pure giggle factor....Get the 44 magnum.

Big ass bullets, make big ass fireballs, and bring big ass smiles.
This man gets it.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #24
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

Find a good reloader at a county gun show.

I get my 44 Magnum in JHP from him in 100 packs cheaper then anywhere else.
Technically I get most of my ammo in all handgun calibers from him unless ordering in bulk.

AK Files custom search
Old 07-17-2017, 05:21 PM   #25
ddnc
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174853

Quote:

Underwood.
Blows the SIG away in quality and power. They always have free shipping deals as well and no tax if out of state.
https://underwoodammo.com/shop/10mm-...-hollow-point/
https://underwoodammo.com/shop/10mm-...ast-flat-nose/
ddnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:21 PM   #26
nofreetime
Veteran Member

Quote:
I wanna say the SIG 50 packs were $26 minus 25% , but I had to pay a 5 cent per bullet
Crook county bullet tax ($2.50 a box) , then I got my 5% veteran discount which nearly negated that.

So I don't remember ....lmao
I think it was $20.xx per 50 box before the rest of the nonsense and tax.

I was on Ammoseek in the store checking, and couldn't find a better deal then that, and the Gun counter
guy came up to me warning me about the 5 cent crook county tax, because he knows most people get pissed
but I know my Vet discount negates it.

I was checking every ammo's 10mm specs to see what was garbage 40 loads in a longer case.
The SIG ammo had the best numbers on the box. 1250 muzzle energy, 624ft lbs
https://www.sigsauer.com/store/10mm-...-ball-fmj.html
Crook county you say, sounds like you came out pretty good though.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:23 PM   #27
nofreetime
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnc View Post
Are these boxes of 20?
Old 07-17-2017, 10:04 PM   #28
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

Defense rounds usually are in 20 packs.

Quote:
Underwood.
Blows the SIG away in quality and power. They always have free shipping deals as well and no tax if out of state.
Interesting......I also picked 4 boxes of this SIG 180Grain Elite V-crown JHP for defense.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/10mm-...crown-jhp.html

These were $16.xx after the 25% off.
But yeah, some of those look pretty damn good comparing them.
Thanks for the lead.

AK Files custom search
Old 07-17-2017, 10:27 PM   #29
bounce19712
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 8142

this thread makes me want to go throw down on a 10mm.... cheap ammo you say?

(already have the .44mags)
Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski. Condolences. The bums lost. My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski? The bums will always lose!

temp ban award winner: ka64
Posting a .gif of a Male Motor boating a woman's ass/vag from behind. No true nudity due to camera angle, still a sex act in the general forums...
bounce19712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:22 AM   #30
Ram Rod
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 182786

Another vote for the Deagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugroza View Post
In all seriousness I cant tell whether some of you are simply blind, ignorant or stupid..
DEFCON 3.3
Ram Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:31 PM   #31
hinkak

AKaholic #: 184602

I had a Deagle in 50ae and it was a blast to shoot (pun intended). I'm a big guy with most of my weight in my upper body and the recoil was quite manageable, at least for me. I brought my buddy who is 5'8" 160 lbs and served in the country club and it was fun watching him try to hold onto that gun lol. ammo can be found for about $1 round so I see the desire for a 44mag.

I sold it and picked up pistols in the last year to fill the same role. Ruger SR in 454. That can be a bit painful to shoot but would be slightly more tame in 44. I recommend it over the Taurus and have shot both. My buddy has it with a scope and its cool but I prefer the ruger and think its of higher quality.

I also picked up a 5" RIA in 10mm and that is a lot of fun to shoot. It has more perceived recoil than the 50 when shooting stout loads. Recently I picked up the "big Rock" 6" ultra hc 10mm. She is a soft shooter and I really like that gun.

PPU in 10mm is cheap and has a lot of muzzle flash but the reported velocities are pretty weak. I also like the Sig for plinking and use the Underwood for more serious stuff. Two of my favorite loads are the 135gr hp @1600 fps and the 200gr hc. Both are great for liberals ;-)

ps the extreme penetrator is a pretty nasty round too and Underwood consistently meets or slightly exceeds their stated velocities out of a 5" barrel.
hinkak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:10 PM   #32
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

Thank for the feedback.

I really am considering also buying that "Big Rock Ultra 6" myself....

I like the idea of the rail, and it would become my preferred home defense handgun.

I just need to get some data on decibel levels....lol

AK Files custom search
Old 07-18-2017, 06:17 PM   #33
bounce19712
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 8142

Mark1 .357 is fun too
Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski. Condolences. The bums lost. My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski? The bums will always lose!

temp ban award winner: ka64
Posting a .gif of a Male Motor boating a woman's ass/vag from behind. No true nudity due to camera angle, still a sex act in the general forums...
bounce19712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:22 PM   #34
DesertGunner
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 182153

Quote:
Underwood.

Good advice here on the ammo.

Underwood blows Double-Tap away in terms of bang for the buck.

I like to load half a mag with Underwood, and the top of the mag with watered down 10mm cheap range fodder like Armscor, you can really feel a huge difference in recoil, and if shooting steel, see and hear a huge difference.

I've been a 10mm guy since the mid 90's when I got a Glock 20. I've had an EAA Witness Hunter, and Limited models, and they are well made pistols for the money. Also had a compact Glock 29 for awhile, but I found the recoil too punishing to be a fun gun.

Sold all of them and only keep my Glock 40 MOS, with a reflex sight on it.

When you put it next to any other Glocks it looks like a toy, because it is slightly bigger in every dimension. LOVE IT. Highly recommend if you can only get one pistol in 10mm.

DesertGunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:40 AM   #35
madrobot

AKaholic #: 177479

I'm toying with the idea of getting a 460 Rowland kit for my Glock G21.
Yugo Npap DF
madrobot is offline   Reply With Quote