Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Saigas and VEPRs

Notices

Old 07-16-2017, 01:28 PM   #71
GoNoGo
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 175475

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondmen View Post
Were such a law ever passed it would confirm we are surely living in a communist state.
Making an occasional profit in the course of bettering our personal firearms hobby/collection is not illegal but

Quote:
any person who willfully engages in the business of dealing in firearms without the required license is subject to criminal prosecution, and can be sentenced to up to five years in prison, fined up to $250,000, or both
I'm not exactly sure what the criteria for "engaging in a business" is, but there ^^^ it is, straight off the BATFE information hotline, so we might be living in a communist state
GoNoGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:39 PM   #72
Billlyb

AKaholic #: 185161

amount of sales per year, ??? recreational type of sales?
but you would always be on the hook for the sales tax !!
Billlyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:10 PM   #73
DOS AK's
Stay Loaded My Friends.

AKaholic #: 177786

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNoGo View Post
Making an occasional profit in the course of bettering our personal firearms hobby/collection is not illegal but

I'm not exactly sure what the criteria for "engaging in a business" is, but there ^^^ it is, straight off the BATFE information hotline, so we might be living in a communist state
Kind of the same with used cars. How many used cars can you sell on the side before you are deemed a business?

WTS:RPK Front Sight- Also misc. Gas Tube-Scope Rings-Arsenal Trigger

WTS: AK74 Extractors - NOS Russian

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice!" Barry Goldwater
DOS AK's is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:19 PM   #74
GoNoGo
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOS AK's View Post
Kind of the same with used cars. How many used cars can you sell on the side before you are deemed a business?
it varies state by state but Georgia law says 0 (none) if you purchase with the intent to resell for any gain, financial or otherwise. Proving intent seems fairly grey to me... excluding the fella who goes online to say I just bought a FM Vepr yesterday and listing it today but 1300's not enough, I want 1400
Old 07-16-2017, 08:14 PM   #75
praxidike

AKaholic #: 191101

Quote:
it varies state by state but Georgia law says 0 (none) if you purchase with the intent to resell for any gain, financial or otherwise. Proving intent seems fairly grey to me... excluding the fella who goes online to say I just bought a FM Vepr yesterday and listing it today but 1300's not enough, I want 1400
Buying 4 Veprs right after the ban, and then turning around to sell them all for $1300-$1600 would be pretty cut and dry for most juries.
praxidike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:09 PM   #76
frtalbert

AKaholic #: 179226

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwwlaw24 View Post
What many are missing is that FM's had less than 12 months on the market here. There ain't that many around. Supply and demand will keep prices high. Don't bitch cause you missed out.
I agree to a point, but I dont think they will maintain at $1300-1600 as the gougers are asking, and currently getting for them ( just saw and FM47-11 from KVAR (sold by KVAR) today go for $1375. I think they will drop and hold at $1000-1200, which is regrettable, but understandable due to the limited quantity imported.

This thread is also not a bitch thread for missing out, many on here have one or more of the FMs, and definitely the slant models, its is just a vent thread to voice that we should treat our own better than immediately try and turn an obscene profit.

Frank
frtalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:14 PM   #77
frtalbert

Quote:

Exactly what I held to be true. About 6 months ago one of my friends wanted a VEPR real bad, and I had a dealer who was going to sell one to him. He fell on bad times before he could buy it and could not afford it anymore. I told the dealer I would buy it and hold it for him until he could buy it from me at cost. He abruptly refused to sell to me, because he would be knowingly selling a firearm to a person who desired to sell it.

In my case proving my intent in that case would be pretty simple, as I admitted it, but I think it could almost as easily be proved for those who snap up multiples of rifles just after a ban. I think their desire is pretty straight forward...

Frank
Old 07-16-2017, 10:41 PM   #78
praxidike

AKaholic #: 191101

Quote:
Originally Posted by frtalbert View Post
I agree to a point, but I dont think they will maintain at $1300-1600 as the gougers are asking, and currently getting for them ( just saw and FM47-11 from KVAR (sold by KVAR) today go for $1375. I think they will drop and hold at $1000-1200, which is regrettable, but understandable due to the limited quantity imported.

This thread is also not a bitch thread for missing out, many on here have one or more of the FMs, and definitely the slant models, its is just a vent thread to voice that we should treat our own better than immediately try and turn an obscene profit.
Yup... I have 5 Veprs, so I'm definitely am not whining or upset about missing out on anything.
praxidike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:29 AM   #79
Billlyb

AKaholic #: 185161

What about the polytechs ak 3-4 thousand is that price gouging they
Sold,for.3-4 hundred the only difference is 30 years ?
So now IS the time to buy a fm like the op said there isnt alot
in this country they were only out for a year an if your waiting for
Any new shipment they will be more which will re set the market
My .02 cents
Billlyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:14 PM   #80
frtalbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billlyb View Post
What about the polytechs ak 3-4 thousand is that price gouging they
Sold,for.3-4 hundred the only difference is 30 years ?
So now IS the time to buy a fm like the op said there isnt alot
in this country they were only out for a year an if your waiting for
Any new shipment they will be more which will re set the market
My .02 cents
I would say yes, those 30 years do make a difference. What makes a marlin with a JM stamp on the barrel worth double than the current Remlins, even though they are good quality. I believe that time does make a difference and those inflated prices are due to collectors value, not an initial gouge by our own. I still think that in a couple months, the price will reduce a little to just above MSRP, but then 10 years and on, it will be like you say, and the collector's value will be much higher.

Frank
Old 07-19-2017, 11:43 PM   #81
Nev
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 173362

Quote:
Just to be clear, mine's the type-2 rear sight block and front sight... you'd still suggest I keep it ?

Love my squareback .308 purchased with firewood in much worse condition. Probably the one and only time I got in on something early. Also have an Atlantic converted 7.62 and V12 purchased ahead of time, but the squareback was my best score.
#Atheist
You should read this.
Nev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #82
ohlongarm

AKaholic #: 193447

Quote:
Originally Posted by frtalbert View Post
So I am fortunate enough to have a few of the newly banned "Devil" rifles and shotguns, but I am always on the hunt for another good deal on a VEPR. I am actually looking for two more to complete (maybe) my collection.

I just find it so funny and really sad that not ever 72 hours after President Trump adds Molot to the sanctions list that not only is there a run on every vendor that stocks them ( which is expected and understandable) but also there are those of us who bought one or more who then relist them at $300-$700 to even $1000 markup, as well as several vendors doing the same thing.

I get it, these are the times we live in, it is just sad, in my opinion how members of our own community will rise out of the woodwork to scalp others before the ink is dry on the word BAN.
My two cents for a year i've been wanting a Russian Vepr AK 47-11 kept seeing them for $999.00,kept procrastinating. Then the ban,shame on me I wound up getting gouged by paying $1467.00each bought two. My fault no one twisted my arm,anyway I don't plan on ever selling them so now I'll enjoy and shoot. So far imho one of the best out there.
ohlongarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:06 AM   #83
GoNoGo
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TideAlum View Post
I wouldn't. Squareback is a rarity. I traded mine for a V12-03, so I didn't feel too bad. Slant backs need adapters, etc. But it's really up to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Love my squareback .308 purchased with firewood in much worse condition. Probably the one and only time I got in on something early. Also have an Atlantic converted 7.62 and V12 purchased ahead of time, but the squareback was my best score.
Thanks guys, I've decided to keep the 308 square back. Even if I don't like the type-2 irons, I be using RS with optic anyway since it's 308. Last reason, it's my only AK chambered in this caliber and I already have 4 extra (10-rd ?) Molot mags that I got for free.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:52 AM   #84
es
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 185924

Quote:
Thanks guys, I've decided to keep the 308 square back. Even if I don't like the type-2 irons, I be using RS with optic anyway since it's 308. Last reason, it's my only AK chambered in this caliber and I already have 4 extra (10-rd ?) Molot mags that I got for free.
You can swap the type 2 irons for a standard rsb with a little work, I believe recall seeing a thread where someone did it a while back (arfcom I think)

edit: here it is, looks like you'll need a little split sleeve to do it properly, but if you go this route and already have to remove the gas block you can also remove the barrel band, install a handguard retainer, and get the FM look for relatively little effort. As stated previously, an RPK handguard retainer can be fit to a standard vepr barrel with a relatively shallow retainer groove.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_80/1...Moar-pics.html

Last edited by es; 07-21-2017 at 11:10 AM.
es is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:35 AM   #85
frtalbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlongarm View Post
My two cents for a year i've been wanting a Russian Vepr AK 47-11 kept seeing them for $999.00,kept procrastinating. Then the ban,shame on me I wound up getting gouged by paying $1467.00each bought two. My fault no one twisted my arm,anyway I don't plan on ever selling them so now I'll enjoy and shoot. So far imho one of the best out there.
Good on you to drop that and basically buy a third rifle. I can't bring myself to go that route.

Frank
Old 07-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #86
frtalbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by es View Post
You can swap the type 2 irons for a standard rsb with a little work, I believe recall seeing a thread where someone did it a while back (arfcom I think)

edit: here it is, looks like you'll need a little split sleeve to do it properly, but if you go this route and already have to remove the gas block you can also remove the barrel band, install a handguard retainer, and get the FM look for relatively little effort. As stated previously, an RPK handguard retainer can be fit to a standard vepr barrel with a relatively shallow retainer groove.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_80/1...Moar-pics.html
Very interesting info Es. Thanks for sharing. I would never have thought of doing that, but the two Type 2 sight VEPRs I have, those T2 sights are serving the purpose, but it is great to know the swap is possible.

Frank