Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Survival and Preparedness

Notices

Old 07-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #1
Funkerman

AKaholic #: 175301
Default Roza Vetrov SS & titanium mess kits?

In my almost quixotic quest for steel mess kits I found a Russian company that I wanted y'alls opinion on. I have never heard of them before but if they ship to the US, I may have, at long last, found a decent nesting steel camping/mess kit. What say you folks: safe to order from them? Avoid them?

Link to page I found: https://www.roza-vetrov-eng.com/cata...cnic/#catTitle
Funkerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:38 PM   #2
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Kinda pricey, ain't they?
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:58 PM   #3
Funkerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalioth View Post
Kinda pricey, ain't they?
You're not wrong.. but steel or titanium mess kits that resemble the "German standard" are hell to find and even then these only kinda resemble them. I tried looking for the steel Swedish mess kits and they are either stupid rare rare or too expensive.
At least the titanium ones promise to be lighter and I've grown very fond of kits that I can hang over a fire. Like I said, this is a somewhat quixotic quest of mine. I loathe aluminum cookware, so I have to hunt for alternatives.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:20 PM   #4
vwvectors
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 183221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkerman View Post
You're not wrong.. but steel or titanium mess kits that resemble the "German standard" are hell to find and even then these only kinda resemble them. I tried looking for the steel Swedish mess kits and they are either stupid rare rare or too expensive.
At least the titanium ones promise to be lighter and I've grown very fond of kits that I can hang over a fire. Like I said, this is a somewhat quixotic quest of mine. I loathe aluminum cookware, so I have to hunt for alternatives.
Why donít you like aluminum cookware ?
vwvectors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:11 PM   #5
Funkerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwvectors View Post
Why don’t you like aluminum cookware ?
More than a few reasons but I'll try not to nerd out too much:

Aluminum tends to leach into food, with acidic foods leaching aluminum the most. I happen to like tomatoes and other acidic foods. While I won't be eating out of aluminum for years on end I'd rather avoid it. When larger amounts of aluminum are found in the brains of Alzheimer patients, I get the idea that aluminum is something I'd rather not have in my food. I don't buy or use aluminum cookware if I can avoid it.

EDIT: it is still being debated ,though, IF using aluminum cookware is the cause of the AL buildup or if the aluminum in the brain tissue is from a faulty metabolic/etc body system and the cookware has no effect. SUffice it to say the rest below still applies.

Aluminum cookware, Hard anodized or not, doesn't hold up to wear, tear and abuse as well as stainless steel does. Either camping or SHTF, I trust steel to hold its own. Its true it doesn't spread heat as well as aluminum and steel is heavier than titanium but is a good compromise on weight, durability and cost.

If money where no issue, titanium's only downside is that it can easily have hot spots. Of the three metals titanium is the lightest and the least reactive.it lasts and lasts and campfires don't hurt it a bit. But its expensive and I am not rich.
As for the shape& form: I love the German m31 mess kit. The east German version I have is great for everything except that its aluminum and has stained with cooking use . This means it is leaching into my food. If the Germans made a steel version of the M31 mess kit I'd buy it and be done. But no M31 mess kits where ever made in steel and even if a few where, they are too rare to be worth mentioning. The closest thing to a steel M31 mess kit was the Swedish Trangia mess kits and they are very rare these days. Those Swedish kits lack the inner little pot the German kits had.The trangia burners are loved but.. its not the same. So far, China has never made any steel M31's either.

So after all that I keep looking and hoping. I found the store in the first post and wanted to see if anyone else had found the kits worthwhile.

EDIT: I at no time claim to be an expert but I have tried my best to explain my reasoning. If I am wrong, then I am wrong but this is as best as I have it now.

Last edited by Funkerman; 07-12-2018 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Added important details.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:14 PM   #6
specz79
Director of Awesome
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 169416

Quote:
More than a few reasons but I'll try not to nerd out too much:

Aluminum tends to leach into food, with acidic foods leaching aluminum the most. I happen to like tomatoes and other acidic foods. While I won't be eating out of aluminum for years on end I'd rather avoid it. When larger amounts of aluminum are found in the brains of Alzheimer patients , I'd rather not have any in my food.

Aluminum cookware, Hard anodized or not, doesn't hold up to wear, tear and abuse as well as stainless steel does. Either camping or SHTF, I trust steel to hold its own. Its true it doesn't spread heat as well as aluminum and steel is heavier than titanium but is a good compromise.
If money where no issue, titanium's only downside is that it can easily have hot spots. Of the three metals titanium is the lightest and the least reactive.it lasts and lasts and campfires don't hurt it a bit. But its expensive and I am not rich. As for the shape& form: I love the German m31 mess kit. The east german version I have is great for everything expect that the aluminum they used stains. this means it is leaching into my food. If the Germans made a steel version of the M31 mess kit I'd buy it and be done. But no M31 mess kits where ever made in steel (even if a few where, they are too rare to be worth mentioning). The closest thing to a steel M31 mess kit was the Swedish Trangia mess kits and they are very rare these days. Those swedish kits lack the inner little pot the German kits had. So far, China has never made any steel M31's either.

So after all that I keep looking and hoping. I found the store in the first post and wanted to see if anyone else had found the kits worthwhile.
You did.......

Nec Bonum Nec Malum Vagina Gallium Facit

Corruptissima Re Publica Plurimae Leges
specz79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:30 PM   #7
Funkerman

Well... this may be rather shitty. No matter what browser I try, I can't seem to reach the Roza Vetrov website. If anyone sees this, please try it yourself and post back. I really hope they are not out of business, but I just don't know. Thank you, and god Bless you & yours.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:48 PM   #8
10acresandrocks
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 185701

All I get is some hotel.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:52 PM   #9
nalioth

Quote:
Well... this may be rather shitty. No matter what browser I try, I can't seem to reach the Roza Vetrov website. If anyone sees this, please try it yourself and post back. I really hope they are not out of business, but I just don't know. Thank you, and god Bless you & yours.
At the time of this writing their server is unresponsive. This doesn't mean they're out of business - just that they chose the wrong hosting service :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10acresandrocks View Post
All I get is some hotel.
Well, if you got a hotel site, I'd say you've got some bugs in your PC, too.

( might want to do a virus / malware scan )
Old 10-08-2018, 12:52 AM   #10
Funkerman

Quote:
At the time of this writing their server is unresponsive. This doesn't mean they're out of business - just that they chose the wrong hosting service :/

Seriously, thank you so very much Nails. I appreciate the help and more importantly than you for the info about the server( admittedly; I have no idea what it means when a website does that..)..Its not a death knell but its more than I had. Thank you very very much, good sir.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:09 AM   #11
10acresandrocks
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 185701

Quote:
Nah, that was after a general search.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:36 PM   #12
Vepr7.62x54

AKaholic #: 185728

Depending on what you plan to do with your cook set, the ones that Stanley puts out are nice. I have their 24 oz. cook set, which comes with the 24 oz. cook pot and two plastic nesting mugs and a vented lid. It will let you heat plenty of water and have a way to reconstitute your dehydrated foods and drink something warm.

If you want something more pot-like, then their Adventure Prep and Cook set should meet the mail for you.

I'm not trying to change your mind about the Russian model. These are just a couple of decent stainless options to consider if you lose faith in reaching or purchasing from the Russian site.

By the way, if you are looking for a stove, the Solo Stove is a good little wood chip-burning gassifier to go with your cook set if you want something other than alcohol or petro-fueled stoves to use with it.
Vepr7.62x54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:47 PM   #13
Funkerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vepr7.62x54 View Post
Depending on what you plan to do with your cook set, the ones that Stanley puts out are nice. I have their 24 oz. cook set, which comes with the 24 oz. cook pot and two plastic nesting mugs and a vented lid. It will let you heat plenty of water and have a way to reconstitute your dehydrated foods and drink something warm.

If you want something more pot-like, then their Adventure Prep and Cook set should meet the mail for you.

I'm not trying to change your mind about the Russian model. These are just a couple of decent stainless options to consider if you lose faith in reaching or purchasing from the Russian site.

By the way, if you are looking for a stove, the Solo Stove is a good little wood chip-burning gassifier to go with your cook set if you want something other than alcohol or petro-fueled stoves to use with it.
Here's the thing: I'd be over the moon to find a suitable set made in the US. And the stanley sets are well made. But to find an all stainless steel set with w 2 quart pot, 1,5Liter kettle that's designed to keep smoke & ash out of the water for tea (Tea drinker, not really a coffee drinker) and a pan for frying is hard. Now find a set that nests together and is made for over the fire cooking. Seems like a smiple thing but so far no luck.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:17 PM   #14
bounce19712
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 8142

buy MSR titanium

Right from the beginning, tell them to stand up straight when they are talking to you.
Hand knife every mfkr in the room when addressing them.
Tell them to look into your eyes and then immediately accuse them of eyeballing you.
Finally, tell them to unfuck themselves and leave the room.
Job offer will be waiting for you in your mailbox before you will be back home...you welcome!
bounce19712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:41 AM   #15
Funkerman

Well this is a pleasant as an MRE dump...
Well the main site is still not responding but while surfing on ebay.de I found a seller by the name of alex-outdoor_de. He had had a 2.2L 3 piece set that would have been ideal but it was sold( I think). I haven't tried ebay.ru as I can't type in Russian but anyway.. I sent him a message asking if he planned on restocking and if he would ship to the US but its been 2 plus days so I'm kinda doubting he"ll reply. Just figured I'd update. IFFF, I ever get a kit, I plan on reviewing it here.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:47 AM   #16
notasheeple

AKaholic #: 186464

OP,

Do you wear aluminum free Anti Perspirant ?

That's a much bigger source of aluminum contact than any cookware, since it's something most apply daily.

I have not heard of this site/company, so I don't know the legitimacy of ordering from them.

Good luck.
notasheeple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:31 AM   #17
Funkerman

Maybe I am a fool, but I try every so often to see if their site is back.Obviously no such luck thus far.I've tried site checkers but they have said pretty much the same as Nails did. They did say the site was parked for a time but now it claims its up but no data otherwise. Strange thing is I still see the catalog pics from them on google searches so something might be there but I dunno. the thought has occurred to me that the page my be blocking US IP addresses but that's probably just my imagination.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:06 AM   #18
Funkerman

UPDATE: Despite the VERY Quixotic nature of this search , it turns out https://roza-vetrov.su/ works: as of this posting) but their English page is seemingly dead right now. I can't read Russian well enough not to rely on translators, but I now have an email address to ask them if they will still ship to the US. I'm not sure if I should send it in English or try Yandex or google translate( if you know which way to arrange for US shipping or not be rude in doing so) but advice on which way would be best would be very appreciated... An Inch of progress! The Soviet Union domain name is weird. I don't know if that's good or not..
Old 10-15-2018, 01:24 AM   #19
nalioth

Quote:
I can't read Russian well enough not to rely on translators, but I now have an email address to ask them if they will still ship to the US. I'm not sure if I should send it in English or try Yandex or google translate
Unlike 'Murica, it is not uncommon for other first world countries to have a bilingual ( or trilingual ) populace.

Write them in English to avoid potential "oopsies" in the translation.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:13 PM   #20
Funkerman

Well, as of this post I have sent two emails to Roza vetrov trying to find a US dealer, or a way to get them to ship to the US. From what I have managed to translate; their Russian website does not have a non Russia shipping option and their English site is still dead. I'll give it a week, but it's certainly not a guarantee they'll reply. The German EBay seller is still in business but he has not replied to my earlier message. Thats the state of this quest at the moment, good or bad.