Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > RPKs and RPDs

Notices

Old 05-28-2018, 04:28 PM   #1
Guardian1fox2

AKaholic #: 191727
Default Need help with RPD

I got my RPD the other day and finally got to shoot it where it ran flawlessly. When the last round was fired I tried to rack the bolt back and it was stuck and wouldnít budge. I then took the gun and while holding the charging handle hit the butt on the mat and it opened up and was clear. I brought the gun inside where I tried a couple more times to rack the bolt but it kept getting stuck.

I went ahead and disassembled it and found no issue at all to my knowledge, except for what seems to be a firing pin extension that would get stuck at either extremity. I donít think this would cause my bolt lock up issue. Being that this has a lot in common with the DP28, does anyone know what could be causing this? Could the locking wings somehow not disengaging? What could cause that?

Project Guns is out for vacation until June 5th, and I have an email in to them just waiting till they get back. I couldnít find any other issue like this on google...so Iím curious if somehow itís user error?

Anyways thanks for any help!
Guardian1fox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:27 PM   #2
Cowbilly
Contributor

AKaholic #: 4005

I had a Vector Arms RPD, never had the issues you speak of but was warned of a few things:

Check your pin for bends or see if it is broken since you noticed something.

Check the locking flaps, the receiver inlet (locking shoulders in the receiver) and carrier for burrs or deformation. Also if striker fired, which I believe most are, check to see if the drive/rammer/stiker rod is hanging up somewhere in or on your stock which can make it hard to charge.

Check your guide rails up top in the top cover, the guide rail may drop a little too much and make charging difficult by locking your action up some. There is a ledge in your top cover that should prevent this but I have heard of a FA one having that issue.

Usually it is something simple.

Last edited by Cowbilly; 05-30-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Cowbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:13 PM   #3
Toecutterp

AKaholic #: 170619

Might be a tight head spacing. More than likely it is. They are a little difficult to get right. It's an easy fix. File and then stone the looking lugs.put a piece of green masking tape on a round to check or a go gauge. I'd use a go gauge for safety reasons
Toecutterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:15 PM   #4
Guardian1fox2

AKaholic #: 191727

Got it fixed! After emailing PG, I took gas block apart, cleaned the chamber really well...used the gas tube cleaning head from buttstock and cleaning rod and cleaned the block really well where piston goes. Went from getting stuck to being completely free! Gunked up good but think it was from them running on setting 3. Put it back to 1 to try next time I’m at the range!
Guardian1fox2 is offline   Reply With Quote