Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Optics

Notices

Old 12-07-2017, 10:38 AM   #1
Jacko

AKaholic #: 194628
Location: South Jersey, Please do not confuse me with the leftist Democrat assholes in this state!
Default Saiga Rifle 7.62 x 39. What should I do?

I have a Saiga rifle that I bought years ago. I bought it brand new and paid about $200 for it. I'm trying to decide what to do with it. Should I convert it, or leave it the way it is and hope the value continues to increase? It's a great shooter as is but I know it could be better. Thanks in advance, Jacko
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:01 AM   #2
Orpheus
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177936

If you convert it properly, you will only add value.
Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:33 AM   #3
fpk762
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 166849

Convert it, super easy and looks 10x better. Even doing the bulgy fsb and brake is nothing big. Just learn here and do it right, use the proper tools and have patience. Dont worry about welding the holes up on the receiver that shit is a waste of time. Just plug them with the plastic inserts that look like rivet heads. Dinzag or carolina shooter supply has what youd need!

Just noticed this is in the optics section lol
fpk762 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:39 PM   #4
Jacko

Location: South Jersey, Please do not confuse me with the leftist Democrat assholes in this state!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpk762 View Post
Convert it, super easy and looks 10x better. Even doing the bulgy fsb and brake is nothing big. Just learn here and do it right, use the proper tools and have patience. Dont worry about welding the holes up on the receiver that shit is a waste of time. Just plug them with the plastic inserts that look like rivet heads. Dinzag or carolina shooter supply has what youd need!

Just noticed this is in the optics section lol
Thanks! How do I move this to another section? And where should I post it? I'm new to the site and still finding my way around.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:45 PM   #5
fpk762
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 166849

Private message a mod and ask to move it to ak47 or general rifle discussion!
fpk762 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:16 PM   #6
Jacko

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2017, 07:52 PM   #7
shajopma
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 171347

If you have another AK to shoot I say leave the Saiga alone, if it's your only one convert it.
shajopma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:28 PM   #8
esh21167
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 170974

I believe there are some restrictions in NJ such as no bayonet lug or removable muzzle device.
esh21167 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:27 PM   #9
Jacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
I believe there are some restrictions in NJ such as no bayonet lug or removable muzzle device.
You're correct. However, one can have a rifle that is banned in NJ sent to a ffl and he can grind off the lug and pin the muzzle break. Now it's legal. That's what I did to get my Arsenal SAM 7R and it's 100% legal.Thanks
Old 12-07-2017, 10:30 PM   #10
Jacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajopma View Post
If you have another AK to shoot I say leave the Saiga alone, if it's your only one convert it.
I do have other ak pattern rifles. I think I may take your advise and leave her alone.....for now. I wish I'd bought 10 of them back then at that price. Thanks
Old 12-07-2017, 10:54 PM   #11
rbox1064
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 173428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
I do have other ak pattern rifles. I think I may take your advise and leave her alone.....for now. I wish I'd bought 10 of them back then at that price. Thanks
They may be worth something in the future, but it will be only as a collector gun and then it needs to be pristine and unfired. I doubt this will ever happen.

Having said that, if you are going to shoot the rifle, it almost worthless as is. It'll only take crippled mags and has a really shitty trigger. That's the reason they basically were ALL converted. The sporter build was only to get the basic foundation into the country.
rbox1064 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:13 PM   #12
Jacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbox1064 View Post
They may be worth something in the future, but it will be only as a collector gun and then it needs to be pristine and unfired. I doubt this will ever happen.

Having said that, if you are going to shoot the rifle, it almost worthless as is. It'll only take crippled mags and has a really shitty trigger. That's the reason they basically were ALL converted. The sporter build was only to get the basic foundation into the country.
You're right about the crippled mags and the trigger. I don't have the time or the sk8ll to do the conversion myself. Do you know of any builders that I could send it to for quality conversion? Thanks, Jacko
Old 12-07-2017, 11:54 PM   #13
rbox1064
Curio & Relic
Contributor

Hiram Holt of Practical Readiness does awesome work. Of course he's 60 miles from me. But I encourage you to check him out if you can bankroll the shipping as well as conversion cost.

https://www.facebook.com/PracticalReadiness/

He's also a member here, but his user name escapes me.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:05 AM   #14
Jacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbox1064 View Post
Hiram Holt of Practical Readiness does awesome work. Of course he's 60 miles from me. But I encourage you to check him out if you can bankroll the shipping as well as conversion cost.

https://www.facebook.com/PracticalReadiness/

He's also a member here, but his user name escapes me.
Perfect! Thank you, I'll try to find him.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:13 AM   #15
4mula
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183879

Convert it!!!!!
Old 12-08-2017, 11:40 AM   #16
Jacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula View Post
Convert it!!!!!
That's what I've decided to do. Now I'm looking for someone to build it for me. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2017, 12:41 PM   #17
AK-Pirate

AKaholic #: 183956

Quote:
That's what I've decided to do. Now I'm looking for someone to build it for me. Thanks!
Troy Sellars at InRange in TN does a fantastic job. He just converted mine. I provided all the parts and what I wanted done. He did the complete conversion, welding up holes and refinishing, installing folding trunnion, installing correct gas block and FSB and handguard retainer, as well as DuraCoating the entire rifle for $500. Well worth it from my perspective. Here is what he did with my Saiga IZ132. (Disregard the brown strap on the bayo-searching for a black one)

AK-Pirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:01 PM   #18
Jacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Pirate View Post
Troy Sellars at InRange in TN does a fantastic job. He just converted mine. I provided all the parts and what I wanted done. He did the complete conversion, welding up holes and refinishing, installing folding trunnion, installing correct gas block and FSB and handguard retainer, as well as DuraCoating the entire rifle for $500. Well worth it from my perspective. Here is what he did with my Saiga IZ132. (Disregard the brown strap on the bayo-searching for a black one)

Wow.....beautiful job! I will certainly give him a call. Thanks, Jacko
Old 12-08-2017, 05:48 PM   #19
4mula
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183879

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Pirate View Post

Looks great! $500 well spent
Old 12-08-2017, 07:16 PM   #20
Disburse-Now
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 79142

I have quite a few Saiga rifles - none in AK74 caliber, but several in .223/5.56, 7.62X39, and .308. None of mine have the dimples either. I have three converted Saiga - one is a 7.62X39 converted to 5.56 that take Galil Mags - one is a 7.62X39 conversion and the other is a AK 106 type rifle that takes Bulgarian waffle Mags for 5.56. Put a Falcon Arms shorty Folder stock on it.
The conversion info is all over the net. Thousands have converted their own - probably tens of thousands. I have had builders do all three of my own conversions, but I would not be adverse to attempting it my self. I have a 20 inch barreled 7.62X39 that I'll probably get converted next.
So I am in the convert-it Camp..............they make really strong rifles coming right out of the Mother Russia AK Plant as they did.
Disburse-Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:09 AM   #21
Jacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disburse-Now View Post
I have quite a few Saiga rifles - none in AK74 caliber, but several in .223/5.56, 7.62X39, and .308. None of mine have the dimples either. I have three converted Saiga - one is a 7.62X39 converted to 5.56 that take Galil Mags - one is a 7.62X39 conversion and the other is a AK 106 type rifle that takes Bulgarian waffle Mags for 5.56. Put a Falcon Arms shorty Folder stock on it.
The conversion info is all over the net. Thousands have converted their own - probably tens of thousands. I have had builders do all three of my own conversions, but I would not be adverse to attempting it my self. I have a 20 inch barreled 7.62X39 that I'll probably get converted next.
So I am in the convert-it Camp..............they make really strong rifles coming right out of the Mother Russia AK Plant as they did.
Great information, thanks DN! I'll be converting as soon as I find a builder.
Old Yesterday, 01:15 AM   #22
rbox1064
Curio & Relic
Contributor

Quote:
Are you mechanical at all? There are really great Youtube video's showing the rear conversion. If you can run a drill and a tap, then the bullet guide and moving the FCG is something you may enjoy doing yourself, while learning a lot about your new rifle.
Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM   #23
ouroboros
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 172555

Learning to convert my Saiga myself was an excellent experience and, as others have mentioned, if you're mechanically inclined and can read up here and on YouTube, you have all of the resources you need. I went the Russian AKM route (note the 45 degree gas block, AKM FSB and AKM wood). Never had a failure with this rifle.

ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM   #24
SRG
Heathen

AKaholic #: 155118

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
Learning to convert my Saiga myself was an excellent experience and, as others have mentioned, if you're mechanically inclined and can read up here and on YouTube, you have all of the resources you need. I went the Russian AKM route (note the 45 degree gas block, AKM FSB and AKM wood). Never had a failure with this rifle.

[IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/2ui96vn.jpg[IMG]

Nice. You don't see that done very often. Well played.
SRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM   #25
Jacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post

Holt shit that came out beautiful! That's exactly how I envision my Saiga converted. If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost to convert? Thanks for sharing that photo!