Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Optics

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2017, 10:38 AM   #1
Jacko
Member
 
AKaholic #: 194628
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South Jersey, Please do not confuse me with the leftist Democrat assholes in this state!
Posts: 30
Default Saiga Rifle 7.62 x 39. What should I do?

I have a Saiga rifle that I bought years ago. I bought it brand new and paid about $200 for it. I'm trying to decide what to do with it. Should I convert it, or leave it the way it is and hope the value continues to increase? It's a great shooter as is but I know it could be better. Thanks in advance, Jacko
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:01 AM   #2
Orpheus
Veteran Member
 
AKaholic #: 177936
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Canada.
Posts: 1,435
Default

If you convert it properly, you will only add value.
Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:33 AM   #3
fpk762
Senior Member
Bronze Contributor
 
AKaholic #: 166849
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 851
Default

Convert it, super easy and looks 10x better. Even doing the bulgy fsb and brake is nothing big. Just learn here and do it right, use the proper tools and have patience. Dont worry about welding the holes up on the receiver that shit is a waste of time. Just plug them with the plastic inserts that look like rivet heads. Dinzag or carolina shooter supply has what youd need!

Just noticed this is in the optics section lol
fpk762 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:39 PM   #4
Jacko
Member
 
AKaholic #: 194628
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South Jersey, Please do not confuse me with the leftist Democrat assholes in this state!
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpk762 View Post
Convert it, super easy and looks 10x better. Even doing the bulgy fsb and brake is nothing big. Just learn here and do it right, use the proper tools and have patience. Dont worry about welding the holes up on the receiver that shit is a waste of time. Just plug them with the plastic inserts that look like rivet heads. Dinzag or carolina shooter supply has what youd need!

Just noticed this is in the optics section lol
Thanks! How do I move this to another section? And where should I post it? I'm new to the site and still finding my way around.
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:45 PM   #5
fpk762
Senior Member
Bronze Contributor
 
AKaholic #: 166849
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 851
Default

Private message a mod and ask to move it to ak47 or general rifle discussion!
fpk762 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:16 PM   #6
Jacko
Member
 
AKaholic #: 194628
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South Jersey, Please do not confuse me with the leftist Democrat assholes in this state!
Posts: 30
Default

Thanks!
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:52 PM   #7
shajopma
Veteran Member
 
AKaholic #: 171347
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 1,237
Default

If you have another AK to shoot I say leave the Saiga alone, if it's your only one convert it.
shajopma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:28 PM   #8
esh21167
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 170974
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 5,678
Default

I believe there are some restrictions in NJ such as no bayonet lug or removable muzzle device.
esh21167 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:27 PM   #9
Jacko
Member
 
AKaholic #: 194628
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South Jersey, Please do not confuse me with the leftist Democrat assholes in this state!
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
I believe there are some restrictions in NJ such as no bayonet lug or removable muzzle device.
You're correct. However, one can have a rifle that is banned in NJ sent to a ffl and he can grind off the lug and pin the muzzle break. Now it's legal. That's what I did to get my Arsenal SAM 7R and it's 100% legal.Thanks
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:30 PM   #10
Jacko
Member
 
AKaholic #: 194628
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South Jersey, Please do not confuse me with the leftist Democrat assholes in this state!
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajopma View Post
If you have another AK to shoot I say leave the Saiga alone, if it's your only one convert it.
I do have other ak pattern rifles. I think I may take your advise and leave her alone.....for now. I wish I'd bought 10 of them back then at that price. Thanks
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:54 PM   #11
rbox1064
Curio & Relic
Contributor
 
AKaholic #: 173428
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Tuscumbia, Al
Posts: 2,354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
I do have other ak pattern rifles. I think I may take your advise and leave her alone.....for now. I wish I'd bought 10 of them back then at that price. Thanks
They may be worth something in the future, but it will be only as a collector gun and then it needs to be pristine and unfired. I doubt this will ever happen.

Having said that, if you are going to shoot the rifle, it almost worthless as is. It'll only take crippled mags and has a really shitty trigger. That's the reason they basically were ALL converted. The sporter build was only to get the basic foundation into the country.
rbox1064 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:13 PM   #12
Jacko
Member
 
AKaholic #: 194628
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South Jersey, Please do not confuse me with the leftist Democrat assholes in this state!
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbox1064 View Post
They may be worth something in the future, but it will be only as a collector gun and then it needs to be pristine and unfired. I doubt this will ever happen.

Having said that, if you are going to shoot the rifle, it almost worthless as is. It'll only take crippled mags and has a really shitty trigger. That's the reason they basically were ALL converted. The sporter build was only to get the basic foundation into the country.
You're right about the crippled mags and the trigger. I don't have the time or the sk8ll to do the conversion myself. Do you know of any builders that I could send it to for quality conversion? Thanks, Jacko
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:54 PM   #13
rbox1064
Curio & Relic
Contributor
 
AKaholic #: 173428
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Tuscumbia, Al
Posts: 2,354
Default

Hiram Holt of Practical Readiness does awesome work. Of course he's 60 miles from me. But I encourage you to check him out if you can bankroll the shipping as well as conversion cost.

https://www.facebook.com/PracticalReadiness/

He's also a member here, but his user name escapes me.
rbox1064 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:05 AM   #14
Jacko
Member
 
AKaholic #: 194628
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South Jersey, Please do not confuse me with the leftist Democrat assholes in this state!
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbox1064 View Post
Hiram Holt of Practical Readiness does awesome work. Of course he's 60 miles from me. But I encourage you to check him out if you can bankroll the shipping as well as conversion cost.

https://www.facebook.com/PracticalReadiness/

He's also a member here, but his user name escapes me.
Perfect! Thank you, I'll try to find him.
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:13 AM   #15
4mula
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 183879
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: on my chair
Posts: 6,801
Default

Convert it!!!!!
__________________
5.56 posts per day
4mula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:40 AM   #16
Jacko
Member
 
AKaholic #: 194628
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South Jersey, Please do not confuse me with the leftist Democrat assholes in this state!
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula View Post
Convert it!!!!!
That's what I've decided to do. Now I'm looking for someone to build it for me. Thanks!
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:41 PM   #17
AK-Pirate
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 183956
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 957
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
That's what I've decided to do. Now I'm looking for someone to build it for me. Thanks!
Troy Sellars at InRange in TN does a fantastic job. He just converted mine. I provided all the parts and what I wanted done. He did the complete conversion, welding up holes and refinishing, installing folding trunnion, installing correct gas block and FSB and handguard retainer, as well as DuraCoating the entire rifle for $500. Well worth it from my perspective. Here is what he did with my Saiga IZ132. (Disregard the brown strap on the bayo-searching for a black one)

AK-Pirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:01 PM   #18
Jacko
Member
 
AKaholic #: 194628
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South Jersey, Please do not confuse me with the leftist Democrat assholes in this state!
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Pirate View Post
Troy Sellars at InRange in TN does a fantastic job. He just converted mine. I provided all the parts and what I wanted done. He did the complete conversion, welding up holes and refinishing, installing folding trunnion, installing correct gas block and FSB and handguard retainer, as well as DuraCoating the entire rifle for $500. Well worth it from my perspective. Here is what he did with my Saiga IZ132. (Disregard the brown strap on the bayo-searching for a black one)

Wow.....beautiful job! I will certainly give him a call. Thanks, Jacko
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:48 PM   #19
4mula
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 183879
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: on my chair
Posts: 6,801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Pirate View Post
Troy Sellars at InRange in TN does a fantastic job. He just converted mine. I provided all the parts and what I wanted done. He did the complete conversion, welding up holes and refinishing, installing folding trunnion, installing correct gas block and FSB and handguard retainer, as well as DuraCoating the entire rifle for $500. Well worth it from my perspective. Here is what he did with my Saiga IZ132. (Disregard the brown strap on the bayo-searching for a black one)

Looks great! $500 well spent
__________________
5.56 posts per day
4mula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:16 PM   #20
Disburse-Now
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 79142
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA, Lakeland, FL
Posts: 4,132
Default

I have quite a few Saiga rifles - none in AK74 caliber, but several in .223/5.56, 7.62X39, and .308. None of mine have the dimples either. I have three converted Saiga - one is a 7.62X39 converted to 5.56 that take Galil Mags - one is a 7.62X39 conversion and the other is a AK 106 type rifle that takes Bulgarian waffle Mags for 5.56. Put a Falcon Arms shorty Folder stock on it.
The conversion info is all over the net. Thousands have converted their own - probably tens of thousands. I have had builders do all three of my own conversions, but I would not be adverse to attempting it my self. I have a 20 inch barreled 7.62X39 that I'll probably get converted next.
So I am in the convert-it Camp..............they make really strong rifles coming right out of the Mother Russia AK Plant as they did.
Disburse-Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:09 AM   #21
Jacko
Member
 
AKaholic #: 194628
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South Jersey, Please do not confuse me with the leftist Democrat assholes in this state!
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disburse-Now View Post
I have quite a few Saiga rifles - none in AK74 caliber, but several in .223/5.56, 7.62X39, and .308. None of mine have the dimples either. I have three converted Saiga - one is a 7.62X39 converted to 5.56 that take Galil Mags - one is a 7.62X39 conversion and the other is a AK 106 type rifle that takes Bulgarian waffle Mags for 5.56. Put a Falcon Arms shorty Folder stock on it.
The conversion info is all over the net. Thousands have converted their own - probably tens of thousands. I have had builders do all three of my own conversions, but I would not be adverse to attempting it my self. I have a 20 inch barreled 7.62X39 that I'll probably get converted next.
So I am in the convert-it Camp..............they make really strong rifles coming right out of the Mother Russia AK Plant as they did.
Great information, thanks DN! I'll be converting as soon as I find a builder.
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:15 AM   #22
rbox1064
Curio & Relic
Contributor
 
AKaholic #: 173428
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Tuscumbia, Al
Posts: 2,354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
That's what I've decided to do. Now I'm looking for someone to build it for me. Thanks!
Are you mechanical at all? There are really great Youtube video's showing the rear conversion. If you can run a drill and a tap, then the bullet guide and moving the FCG is something you may enjoy doing yourself, while learning a lot about your new rifle.
rbox1064 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM   #23
ouroboros
Veteran Member
 
ouroboros's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 172555
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: NKY/OH
Posts: 1,260
Default

Learning to convert my Saiga myself was an excellent experience and, as others have mentioned, if you're mechanically inclined and can read up here and on YouTube, you have all of the resources you need. I went the Russian AKM route (note the 45 degree gas block, AKM FSB and AKM wood). Never had a failure with this rifle.

ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM   #24
SRG
Heathen
 
AKaholic #: 155118
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: IL
Posts: 1,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
Learning to convert my Saiga myself was an excellent experience and, as others have mentioned, if you're mechanically inclined and can read up here and on YouTube, you have all of the resources you need. I went the Russian AKM route (note the 45 degree gas block, AKM FSB and AKM wood). Never had a failure with this rifle.

[IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/2ui96vn.jpg[IMG]

Nice. You don't see that done very often. Well played.
SRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM   #25
Jacko
Member
 
AKaholic #: 194628
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South Jersey, Please do not confuse me with the leftist Democrat assholes in this state!
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
Learning to convert my Saiga myself was an excellent experience and, as others have mentioned, if you're mechanically inclined and can read up here and on YouTube, you have all of the resources you need. I went the Russian AKM route (note the 45 degree gas block, AKM FSB and AKM wood). Never had a failure with this rifle.


Holt shit that came out beautiful! That's exactly how I envision my Saiga converted. If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost to convert? Thanks for sharing that photo!
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (1 members and 3 guests)
Nathan
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2017 The AK FIles