Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Handgun Forums > General Handgun Discussion

Notices

Old 12-07-2017, 08:12 AM   #1
Corin

AKaholic #: 192728
Default Star M243 Firestar Plus vs. Glock 19

Hello,

i'm planning to buy a me compact 9mm pistol for the 25m range. Till yesterday my first choice was the Glock 19. But now i have the chance to get a nearly new Star M243 Firestar Plus wich has fired only 70 rounds for the price of 130 Euros/ $120!

But.....the Star has an alloy frame, so i'm not sure how durable this gun is. The Glock has a polymer frame wich first seems to be not more durable than alloy, but i heard alot about how durable the Glock is and that it can last more than 50.000 rounds...

So what do you think? Ist the Star Firestar Plus as durable as the Glock? What's about the alloy frame, any problems known, will it crack after thousands of rounds or wear out?

Does the steel-slide slides directly on the alloy frame or are there any steel inlays installed?

I love guns built for eternity, so i bought me a saiga Now i look for the perfect complement pistol

Thank you and best regards!

Corin

Last edited by Corin; 12-07-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Corin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:26 AM   #2
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -

AKaholic #: 157162

Are you comparing a Star to a Glock? lol

For the range, either will do. For Self Defense and "eternity" the Glock is the better gun as its built better and parts are everywhere.

That being said, my dad had an el cheapo STAR a few years ago, it shot OK and functioned flawlessly at the range with no issues in the only 200 rounds we put through it

Last edited by Sublimeon24s; 12-07-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Sublimeon24s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #3
raggedwhole!
Blue eyed devil

AKaholic #: 172787

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublimeon24s View Post
Are you comparing a Star to a Glock? lol

For the range, either will do. For Self Defense and "eternity" the Glock is the better gun as its built better and parts are everywhere.

That being said, my dad had an el cheapo STAR a few years ago, it shot OK and functioned flawlessly at the range with no issues in the only 200 rounds we put through it
I think he is referring to a different star then we are accustomed to. He is from Germany.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:37 AM   #4
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedwhole! View Post
I think he is referring to a different star then we are accustomed to. He is from Germany.
Ther Star Firestar he mentioned is the one I was referring to.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:17 AM   #5
35 Whelen

AKaholic #: 163563

It's a 9mm. You're not going to beat a frame to pieces with that caliber. Besides, for that little amount of money, you'd be crazy to not buy it.
FWIW I have a Star M43 9mm. It's a chunky little pistol, but is built like a tank and has never once jammed or malfunctioned in the almost 25 years I've owned it.
Also FWIW, the Star Firestar, in 1991, was Guns & Ammo magazines handgun of the year.
35 Whelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:45 AM   #6
Corin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
Besides, for that little amount of money, you'd be crazy to not buy it.

Yes, you're right but the problem is, here in germany we can only own 2 handguns. I still have a S&W 629 so i can buy only one more. So if the quality and durability of the Star is nearby the Glock (wich is also massproduction and no highend gun) i maybe choose the Star wich is about 380 Euros less expensive. But If you say, Star is miles away from Glock, i'll choose the Glock as my last handgun.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:10 AM   #7
hagar

AKaholic #: 786

I had both the Firestar and the Firestar plus. I HATED the plus, sold it off quickly. Not to say it isn't a good pistol, I just did not like it. Still have my old Firestar I bought in 1990. Should take it out and shoot it!

I'd take a G19/G26 any day above the Plus. But I'd take a Kahr for concealed carry above all of them ..
hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:22 PM   #8
89grand
((Jerks))

AKaholic #: 178030

I have a Star Firestar 9mm, and a Glock 19. There is absolutely no comparison. The Glock is light years ahead. It's much lighter, holds a lot more ammo, easier to shoot well, parts are available everywhere (unlike the now defunct Star) and is much more reliable. My Firestar works pretty well, but I've had malfunctions over the years.

I only bought the Firestar because a buddy was selling it, and I already had a full size Star Model 30M (still have that gun too).
Old 12-07-2017, 01:46 PM   #9
pre1989
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 175922

Unless the EU is different I would skip the Star ..Nothing really wrong with them per say ..They work fine etc ..But the company went under years ago so at least here spare parts, mags etc can be very hard to fine

Get the Glock or a HK or something else ..Plenty of spare parts/sight options mags should be easier to find and have more options on them

Also I dont know how your laws are but you might have the option of getting different calibers or barrel length uppers for the Glock ..So would get more use out of it

If you could own more then 2 handguns ( which fyi must suck lol) ..Sure I would pick up the start for a 120 or so make a nice chepo field or take a buddy shooting gun ..But only get two go GLock
Old 12-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #10
jmano

AKaholic #: 164016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corin View Post
Yes, you're right but the problem is, here in germany we can only own 2 handguns. I still have a S&W 629 so i can buy only one more. So if the quality and durability of the Star is nearby the Glock (wich is also massproduction and no highend gun) i maybe choose the Star wich is about 380 Euros less expensive. But If you say, Star is miles away from Glock, i'll choose the Glock as my last handgun.
Even if both pistols were the same in terms of durability/reliability, being as you can only own one more handgun ever, this shouldn’t even be a consideration...get the Glock. Readily available parts and magazines means you can make it a “forever” gun. Add as well the availability of off the shelf holsters and accessories that just aren’t available for the Star, means you’ll spend less on the Star now but more on it later.
jmano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:06 PM   #11
giantpune
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 188807

If I could only own 2 guns, I wouldn't waste 1 of them on a $120 anything.
giantpune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:09 PM   #12
burninglegs
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183372

OP, get the Glock. That is the correct answer. You come here to get advice and recommendations, no one will recommend the Star over a Glock 19. Especially for a forever gun. The G19 is definitely a forever gun.
burninglegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:02 AM   #13
Porcupine
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 178627

I'm not a Block lover, or hater for that matter either, but in your situation with the restrictions you face I'd say Glock too.

I'd be concerned about parts for the star.

Are you allowed (home) defensive use of your pistols, or are you restricted to range use?
Porcupine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:56 AM   #14
smithy72
Contributor

AKaholic #: 187266

Have owed a bunch of Stars in the past to include 9mm and .45 ACP FireStars
great /underrated handguns but Star is long out of business if you need parts you are sol.
Buy the Glock factory support/ certified Armorers everywhere. Magazines, parts, sights, holsters to name a few are widely available.
smithy72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:49 AM   #15
69Rebel
Curmudgeon in training.

AKaholic #: 179450

I've had a couple of M43 (single stack 9mm) Firestar pistols, and they were flawless. However, if I could only own two handguns at any one time (yeesh), I don't think the Star would make the cut.
Not a great carry gun, and NLA on parts support.

It's tough to imagine being limited to to only two.

That ain't a beer belly, son. It's a fuel tank for an ass-whoopin' machine.
69Rebel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:17 AM   #16
Corin

Thanks to all for your advice and support! I'll take the Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
Are you allowed (home) defensive use of your pistols, or are you restricted to range use?
Here in germany, guns are only allowed for range use or hunting. If i shoot at an armed housebreaker, i'll go to jail and have to pay compensations for his injuries...
Old 12-08-2017, 11:31 AM   #17
69Rebel
Curmudgeon in training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corin View Post
If i shoot at an armed housebreaker, i'll go to jail and have to pay compensations for his injuries...
We hear that is the case in many places in Europe. That's seriously messed up.
Are you allowed to keep a pistol in your home?

Old 12-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #18
Fire4Effect
Tap, rack, bang

AKaholic #: 181925

Fuck that jazz get a nice 1911.

Being able to own only 2 handguns is crazy.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:43 PM   #19
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Rebel View Post
We hear that is the case in many places in Europe. That's seriously messed up.
Are you allowed to keep a pistol in your home?
When I lived in France, shotguns were fairly popular for home defense.

They were usually loaded with rubber slugs.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:46 PM   #20
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

I don't think there is a new Star company.

The steel is suspect quality and hardness.

Parts are difficult to find.

That Star pistol is likely years old.

A Glock would be better deal.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:53 PM   #21
69Rebel
Curmudgeon in training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allesennogwat View Post
When I lived in France, shotguns were fairly popular for home defense.

They were usually loaded with rubber slugs.
The thought of pelting a housebreaker with rubber ball rounds ( I have a couple of boxes) fills me with joy. However, when the lives of myself and family are on the line, I would much prefer that my shotgun was loaded with lead. 00 buck.

Old 12-09-2017, 02:01 PM   #22
Stopsign32v
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 176461

Glocks are perfection...Enough said
Stopsign32v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:15 PM   #23
exred

AKaholic #: 182815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
+1.
exred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:59 PM   #24
35 Whelen

Quote:
I agree that Glocks are about as good as it gets, from a funational standpoint, but I won't own one for the simple fact that every Tom, Dick and Harry in the gun world owns one. Am I the only person that gets tired of seeing and reading about Glocks??? I'd feel the same way if everyone drove the same vehicle, lived in the same style of house and married women that all looked the same. There's a little something to be said for being original....or at least a little different.
A few months ago I decided I should own at least one full size 9mm (I'm a revolver guy), so I bought a SAR B6P, mainly because it used CZ75 mags and was STUPID inexpensive. I fired somewhere around 800 rounds through it without cleaning or lubing it just to try to get it to quit. It didn't. Impressed, I found a used one that was even more ridiculously cheap (<$185)and bought it. The previous owner evidently drove 16P nails with the slide and fired the dirtiest ammunition known to man without cleaning it. It too ran flawlessly. Offhand accuracy with both is minute-of-cranium at 25 yds. I don't need a Glock.

Last edited by 35 Whelen; 12-09-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:16 PM   #25
raggedwhole!
Blue eyed devil

Quote:
Ther Star Firestar he mentioned is the one I was referring to.
I was unaware.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:26 PM   #26
raggedwhole!
Blue eyed devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire4Effect View Post
Fuck that jazz get a nice 1911.

Being able to own only 2 handguns is crazy.
1911 For the win. Forget the Glock. Forget the Star.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:55 PM   #27
Stopsign32v
Curio & Relic

Quote:
I agree that Glocks are about as good as it gets, from a funational standpoint, but I won't own one for the simple fact that every Tom, Dick and Harry in the gun world owns one.
That makes as much sense as "I agree Federal HST or Gold Dots are about as good as it gets. But because everyone uses them I choose to use Remington green box to be different."
Old 12-09-2017, 03:59 PM   #28
Stopsign32v
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedwhole! View Post
1911 For the win. Forget the Glock. Forget the Star.
I do love some 1911s. Especially the steel frame ones.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:32 PM   #29
35 Whelen

Quote:
That makes as much sense as "I agree Federal HST or Gold Dots are about as good as it gets. But because everyone uses them I choose to use Remington green box to be different."
Let me put this into perspective for you:

"For every hour I spend shooting my firearms, I spend several hundred sitting on my ass talking about shooting them. To that end, I want a firearm that others have told me is the most reliable. Because I need the world's most reliable firearm. And also I want parts for said firearm to be available at the local convenience store, because.....well.....I might need parts for the world's most reliable firearm." As silly as that sounds, that's the unspoken mantra on forums.

Everybody wants a Glock when just about anything will do. Same goes for your ammunition analogy. Somebody somewhere shot bullet X into a block of gel and it came out looking like a picture in a magazine ad, therefore nothing else will do.

So to summarize, if you don't own a Glock and load it with Gold Dots or HST's, you'll either die because your gun jammed or broke or because the bullets fired from the "other" ammunition bounced harmlessly off the bad guy.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:48 PM   #30
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -

Quote:
There's a little something to be said for being original....or at least a little different.
Stupid'st fucking thing ive read on the internet all month........yea, when it comes to choosing a life saving tool, lets base it on "being different"
Old 12-09-2017, 07:07 PM   #31
69Rebel
Curmudgeon in training.

It has been my experience that the HK USP is more reliable than Glock. But that wasn't what the OP asked.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:24 PM   #32
burninglegs
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183372

Quote:
Stupid'st fucking thing ive read on the internet all month........yea, when it comes to choosing a life saving tool, lets base it on "being different"
+1.
burninglegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:26 PM   #33
Disburse-Now
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 79142

If still trying to decide between the Star and the Glock - well, first fill your hand with both and see how they handle, point, aim etc., in your hands. I have had at least one shop salesman explain to me, with me holding a Glock, about the tendancy of the pistol not to be a natural pointer - that some work goes into training ones self to aim a Glock quickly and naturally . That shop fellow liked the FN hand guns. There is something to be said about what others have mentioned that the Glock has parts availability out the ying yang. I am sure there is a Glock fold able dinner set and whistle that can be ordered. The Glock is the AK of the Pistol world - that is what I have been led to believe. I also tend to understand 35 Whelen when he aluded to the fact that Glocks are like ass holes, or as way back in the early 1970's Mustang cars - every one has one. I am one of the few who actually does not own a Glock - but even I want to pick up probably a Glock 17. (I don't conceal carry at present and like longer pistol grips and full size pistols) So I would say Glock for the reliability and ability to get parts for life. (Unless the EU out laws one from getting parts there - that's why I don't live in the EU or in for instance Australia, or California.)
I do however own a Star Pistol - a Model 30 - a full size 9mm and I have a suit case full of mags for it, It is a very capable 9mm pistol. I also own older Spanish Star Modelo Super pistols and like them. I own only a small number of pistols. I've personally liked the idea of picking up a full size Glock 17 due to the availability of 17 round and 33 round mags for these pistols - I like pistols that take 17 / 20/ to 33 round mags and have the capability to share mags with other 9mm firearms - as here in the USA - the Kel-Tec Sub 200 0 or the FX-9 Pistol and Carbine. That is also the reason I want a Beretta 9mm Carbine - the ability to share the specific mags in 30 plus round counts between the Beretta 92 pistols and the Beretta 9mm Carbine.
Disburse-Now is offline   Reply With Quote