Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Handgun Forums > General Handgun Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2017, 08:12 AM   #1
Corin
Member
 
AKaholic #: 192728
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Germany
Posts: 31
Default Star M243 Firestar Plus vs. Glock 19

Hello,

i'm planning to buy a me compact 9mm pistol for the 25m range. Till yesterday my first choice was the Glock 19. But now i have the chance to get a nearly new Star M243 Firestar Plus wich has fired only 70 rounds for the price of 130 Euros/ $120!

But.....the Star has an alloy frame, so i'm not sure how durable this gun is. The Glock has a polymer frame wich first seems to be not more durable than alloy, but i heard alot about how durable the Glock is and that it can last more than 50.000 rounds...

So what do you think? Ist the Star Firestar Plus as durable as the Glock? What's about the alloy frame, any problems known, will it crack after thousands of rounds or wear out?

Does the steel-slide slides directly on the alloy frame or are there any steel inlays installed?

I love guns built for eternity, so i bought me a saiga Now i look for the perfect complement pistol

Thank you and best regards!

Corin

Last edited by Corin; 12-07-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Corin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:26 AM   #2
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -
 
Sublimeon24s's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 157162
Join Date: May 2011
Location: bed with two bi girls
Posts: 5,383
Default

Are you comparing a Star to a Glock? lol

For the range, either will do. For Self Defense and "eternity" the Glock is the better gun as its built better and parts are everywhere.

That being said, my dad had an el cheapo STAR a few years ago, it shot OK and functioned flawlessly at the range with no issues in the only 200 rounds we put through it
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jliu123 View Post
What can you say about?

Last edited by Sublimeon24s; 12-07-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Sublimeon24s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #3
raggedwhole!
Blue eyed devil
 
AKaholic #: 172787
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Morrisville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublimeon24s View Post
Are you comparing a Star to a Glock? lol

For the range, either will do. For Self Defense and "eternity" the Glock is the better gun as its built better and parts are everywhere.

That being said, my dad had an el cheapo STAR a few years ago, it shot OK and functioned flawlessly at the range with no issues in the only 200 rounds we put through it
I think he is referring to a different star then we are accustomed to. He is from Germany.
__________________
"Communism is the death of the soul. It is the organization of total conformity -in short, of tyranny- and it is committed to making tyranny universal."
Adlai Stevenson
raggedwhole! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:37 AM   #4
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -
 
Sublimeon24s's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 157162
Join Date: May 2011
Location: bed with two bi girls
Posts: 5,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedwhole! View Post
I think he is referring to a different star then we are accustomed to. He is from Germany.
Ther Star Firestar he mentioned is the one I was referring to.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jliu123 View Post
What can you say about?
Sublimeon24s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:17 AM   #5
35 Whelen
Member
 
35 Whelen's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 163563
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Great Republic of Texas
Posts: 459
Default

It's a 9mm. You're not going to beat a frame to pieces with that caliber. Besides, for that little amount of money, you'd be crazy to not buy it.
FWIW I have a Star M43 9mm. It's a chunky little pistol, but is built like a tank and has never once jammed or malfunctioned in the almost 25 years I've owned it.
Also FWIW, the Star Firestar, in 1991, was Guns & Ammo magazines handgun of the year.
35 Whelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:45 AM   #6
Corin
Member
 
AKaholic #: 192728
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Germany
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
Besides, for that little amount of money, you'd be crazy to not buy it.

Yes, you're right but the problem is, here in germany we can only own 2 handguns. I still have a S&W 629 so i can buy only one more. So if the quality and durability of the Star is nearby the Glock (wich is also massproduction and no highend gun) i maybe choose the Star wich is about 380 Euros less expensive. But If you say, Star is miles away from Glock, i'll choose the Glock as my last handgun.
Corin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:10 AM   #7
hagar
Senior Member
 
hagar's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 786
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 728
Default

I had both the Firestar and the Firestar plus. I HATED the plus, sold it off quickly. Not to say it isn't a good pistol, I just did not like it. Still have my old Firestar I bought in 1990. Should take it out and shoot it!

I'd take a G19/G26 any day above the Plus. But I'd take a Kahr for concealed carry above all of them ..
hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:22 PM   #8
89grand
((Jerks))
 
89grand's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 178030
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 4,235
Default

I have a Star Firestar 9mm, and a Glock 19. There is absolutely no comparison. The Glock is light years ahead. It's much lighter, holds a lot more ammo, easier to shoot well, parts are available everywhere (unlike the now defunct Star) and is much more reliable. My Firestar works pretty well, but I've had malfunctions over the years.

I only bought the Firestar because a buddy was selling it, and I already had a full size Star Model 30M (still have that gun too).
__________________
89grand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:46 PM   #9
pre1989
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor
 
pre1989's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 175922
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Flagstaff AZ
Posts: 3,504
Default

Unless the EU is different I would skip the Star ..Nothing really wrong with them per say ..They work fine etc ..But the company went under years ago so at least here spare parts, mags etc can be very hard to fine


Get the Glock or a HK or something else ..Plenty of spare parts/sight options mags should be easier to find and have more options on them

Also I dont know how your laws are but you might have the option of getting different calibers or barrel length uppers for the Glock ..So would get more use out of it

If you could own more then 2 handguns ( which fyi must suck lol) ..Sure I would pick up the start for a 120 or so make a nice chepo field or take a buddy shooting gun ..But only get two go GLock
__________________
Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more
pre1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #10
jmano
Member
 
AKaholic #: 164016
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corin View Post
Yes, you're right but the problem is, here in germany we can only own 2 handguns. I still have a S&W 629 so i can buy only one more. So if the quality and durability of the Star is nearby the Glock (wich is also massproduction and no highend gun) i maybe choose the Star wich is about 380 Euros less expensive. But If you say, Star is miles away from Glock, i'll choose the Glock as my last handgun.
Even if both pistols were the same in terms of durability/reliability, being as you can only own one more handgun ever, this shouldn’t even be a consideration...get the Glock. Readily available parts and magazines means you can make it a “forever” gun. Add as well the availability of off the shelf holsters and accessories that just aren’t available for the Star, means you’ll spend less on the Star now but more on it later.
jmano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:06 PM   #11
giantpune
Veteran Member
 
AKaholic #: 188807
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 1,876
Default

If I could only own 2 guns, I wouldn't waste 1 of them on a $120 anything.
giantpune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:09 PM   #12
burninglegs
Curio & Relic
 
burninglegs's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 183372
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Location
Posts: 5,853
Default

OP, get the Glock. That is the correct answer. You come here to get advice and recommendations, no one will recommend the Star over a Glock 19. Especially for a forever gun. The G19 is definitely a forever gun.
burninglegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:02 AM   #13
Porcupine
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor
 
AKaholic #: 178627
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 4,040
Default

I'm not a Block lover, or hater for that matter either, but in your situation with the restrictions you face I'd say Glock too.

I'd be concerned about parts for the star.

Are you allowed (home) defensive use of your pistols, or are you restricted to range use?
Porcupine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:56 AM   #14
smithy72
Member
Contributor
 
AKaholic #: 187266
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Middle of no where
Posts: 478
Default

Have owed a bunch of Stars in the past to include 9mm and .45 ACP FireStars
great /underrated handguns but Star is long out of business if you need parts you are sol.
Buy the Glock factory support/ certified Armorers everywhere. Magazines, parts, sights, holsters to name a few are widely available.
smithy72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:49 AM   #15
69Rebel
Curmudgeon in training.
 
69Rebel's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 179450
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: SW WA
Posts: 4,974
Default

I've had a couple of M43 (single stack 9mm) Firestar pistols, and they were flawless. However, if I could only own two handguns at any one time (yeesh), I don't think the Star would make the cut.
Not a great carry gun, and NLA on parts support.

It's tough to imagine being limited to to only two.
__________________
“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.”--William Pitt

That ain't a beer belly, son. It's a fuel tank for an ass-whoopin' machine.
69Rebel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:17 AM   #16
Corin
Member
 
AKaholic #: 192728
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Germany
Posts: 31
Default

Thanks to all for your advice and support! I'll take the Glock


Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
Are you allowed (home) defensive use of your pistols, or are you restricted to range use?
Here in germany, guns are only allowed for range use or hunting. If i shoot at an armed housebreaker, i'll go to jail and have to pay compensations for his injuries...
Corin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:31 AM   #17
69Rebel
Curmudgeon in training.
 
69Rebel's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 179450
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: SW WA
Posts: 4,974
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corin View Post
If i shoot at an armed housebreaker, i'll go to jail and have to pay compensations for his injuries...
We hear that is the case in many places in Europe. That's seriously messed up.
Are you allowed to keep a pistol in your home?
__________________
“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.”--William Pitt

That ain't a beer belly, son. It's a fuel tank for an ass-whoopin' machine.
69Rebel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #18
Fire4Effect
Tap, rack, bang
 
Fire4Effect's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 181925
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,835
Default

Fuck that jazz get a nice 1911.

Being able to own only 2 handguns is crazy.
__________________
USMC 0311 2001 - 2005
Fire4Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:43 PM   #19
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic
 
allesennogwat's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 3738
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 44,981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Rebel View Post
We hear that is the case in many places in Europe. That's seriously messed up.
Are you allowed to keep a pistol in your home?
When I lived in France, shotguns were fairly popular for home defense.

They were usually loaded with rubber slugs.
__________________
Daraclor: A brand of anti-malaria pills which we had to drink every week while on the border. Legend had it that these would make you turn yellow and that you wouldn't be able to tan.
allesennogwat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:46 PM   #20
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic
 
allesennogwat's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 3738
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 44,981
Default

I don't think there is a new Star company.

The steel is suspect quality and hardness.

Parts are difficult to find.

That Star pistol is likely years old.

A Glock would be better deal.
__________________
Daraclor: A brand of anti-malaria pills which we had to drink every week while on the border. Legend had it that these would make you turn yellow and that you wouldn't be able to tan.
allesennogwat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:53 PM   #21
69Rebel
Curmudgeon in training.
 
69Rebel's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 179450
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: SW WA
Posts: 4,974
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by allesennogwat View Post
When I lived in France, shotguns were fairly popular for home defense.

They were usually loaded with rubber slugs.
The thought of pelting a housebreaker with rubber ball rounds ( I have a couple of boxes) fills me with joy. However, when the lives of myself and family are on the line, I would much prefer that my shotgun was loaded with lead. 00 buck.
__________________
“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.”--William Pitt

That ain't a beer belly, son. It's a fuel tank for an ass-whoopin' machine.
69Rebel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:01 PM   #22
Stopsign32v
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 176461
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SC
Posts: 2,835
Default

Glocks are perfection...Enough said
Stopsign32v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:15 PM   #23
exred
Member
 
exred's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 182815
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
Glocks are perfection...Enough said
+1.
exred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:59 PM   #24
35 Whelen
Member
 
35 Whelen's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 163563
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Great Republic of Texas
Posts: 459
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
Glocks are perfection...Enough said
I agree that Glocks are about as good as it gets, from a funational standpoint, but I won't own one for the simple fact that every Tom, Dick and Harry in the gun world owns one. Am I the only person that gets tired of seeing and reading about Glocks??? I'd feel the same way if everyone drove the same vehicle, lived in the same style of house and married women that all looked the same. There's a little something to be said for being original....or at least a little different.
A few months ago I decided I should own at least one full size 9mm (I'm a revolver guy), so I bought a SAR B6P, mainly because it used CZ75 mags and was STUPID inexpensive. I fired somewhere around 800 rounds through it without cleaning or lubing it just to try to get it to quit. It didn't. Impressed, I found a used one that was even more ridiculously cheap (<$185)and bought it. The previous owner evidently drove 16P nails with the slide and fired the dirtiest ammunition known to man without cleaning it. It too ran flawlessly. Offhand accuracy with both is minute-of-cranium at 25 yds. I don't need a Glock.

Last edited by 35 Whelen; 12-09-2017 at 03:20 PM.
35 Whelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:16 PM   #25
raggedwhole!
Blue eyed devil
 
AKaholic #: 172787
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Morrisville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublimeon24s View Post
Ther Star Firestar he mentioned is the one I was referring to.
I was unaware.
__________________
"Communism is the death of the soul. It is the organization of total conformity -in short, of tyranny- and it is committed to making tyranny universal."
Adlai Stevenson
raggedwhole! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:26 PM   #26
raggedwhole!
Blue eyed devil
 
AKaholic #: 172787
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Morrisville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire4Effect View Post
Fuck that jazz get a nice 1911.

Being able to own only 2 handguns is crazy.
1911 For the win. Forget the Glock. Forget the Star.
__________________
"Communism is the death of the soul. It is the organization of total conformity -in short, of tyranny- and it is committed to making tyranny universal."
Adlai Stevenson
raggedwhole! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:55 PM   #27
Stopsign32v
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 176461
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SC
Posts: 2,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
I agree that Glocks are about as good as it gets, from a funational standpoint, but I won't own one for the simple fact that every Tom, Dick and Harry in the gun world owns one.
That makes as much sense as "I agree Federal HST or Gold Dots are about as good as it gets. But because everyone uses them I choose to use Remington green box to be different."
Stopsign32v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:59 PM   #28
Stopsign32v
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 176461
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SC
Posts: 2,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedwhole! View Post
1911 For the win. Forget the Glock. Forget the Star.
I do love some 1911s. Especially the steel frame ones.

Stopsign32v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:32 PM   #29
35 Whelen
Member
 
35 Whelen's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 163563
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Great Republic of Texas
Posts: 459
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
That makes as much sense as "I agree Federal HST or Gold Dots are about as good as it gets. But because everyone uses them I choose to use Remington green box to be different."
Let me put this into perspective for you:

"For every hour I spend shooting my firearms, I spend several hundred sitting on my ass talking about shooting them. To that end, I want a firearm that others have told me is the most reliable. Because I need the world's most reliable firearm. And also I want parts for said firearm to be available at the local convenience store, because.....well.....I might need parts for the world's most reliable firearm." As silly as that sounds, that's the unspoken mantra on forums.

Everybody wants a Glock when just about anything will do. Same goes for your ammunition analogy. Somebody somewhere shot bullet X into a block of gel and it came out looking like a picture in a magazine ad, therefore nothing else will do.

So to summarize, if you don't own a Glock and load it with Gold Dots or HST's, you'll either die because your gun jammed or broke or because the bullets fired from the "other" ammunition bounced harmlessly off the bad guy.
35 Whelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:48 PM   #30
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -
 
Sublimeon24s's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 157162
Join Date: May 2011
Location: bed with two bi girls
Posts: 5,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
There's a little something to be said for being original....or at least a little different.
Stupid'st fucking thing ive read on the internet all month........yea, when it comes to choosing a life saving tool, lets base it on "being different"
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jliu123 View Post
What can you say about?
Sublimeon24s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:07 PM   #31
69Rebel
Curmudgeon in training.
 
69Rebel's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 179450
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: SW WA
Posts: 4,974
Default

It has been my experience that the HK USP is more reliable than Glock. But that wasn't what the OP asked.
__________________
“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.”--William Pitt

That ain't a beer belly, son. It's a fuel tank for an ass-whoopin' machine.
69Rebel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:24 PM   #32
burninglegs
Curio & Relic
 
burninglegs's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 183372
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Location
Posts: 5,853
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublimeon24s View Post
Stupid'st fucking thing ive read on the internet all month........yea, when it comes to choosing a life saving tool, lets base it on "being different"
+1.
burninglegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:26 PM   #33
Disburse-Now
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 79142
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA, Lakeland, FL
Posts: 4,132
Default

If still trying to decide between the Star and the Glock - well, first fill your hand with both and see how they handle, point, aim etc., in your hands. I have had at least one shop salesman explain to me, with me holding a Glock, about the tendancy of the pistol not to be a natural pointer - that some work goes into training ones self to aim a Glock quickly and naturally . That shop fellow liked the FN hand guns. There is something to be said about what others have mentioned that the Glock has parts availability out the ying yang. I am sure there is a Glock fold able dinner set and whistle that can be ordered. The Glock is the AK of the Pistol world - that is what I have been led to believe. I also tend to understand 35 Whelen when he aluded to the fact that Glocks are like ass holes, or as way back in the early 1970's Mustang cars - every one has one. I am one of the few who actually does not own a Glock - but even I want to pick up probably a Glock 17. (I don't conceal carry at present and like longer pistol grips and full size pistols) So I would say Glock for the reliability and ability to get parts for life. (Unless the EU out laws one from getting parts there - that's why I don't live in the EU or in for instance Australia, or California.)
I do however own a Star Pistol - a Model 30 - a full size 9mm and I have a suit case full of mags for it, It is a very capable 9mm pistol. I also own older Spanish Star Modelo Super pistols and like them. I own only a small number of pistols. I've personally liked the idea of picking up a full size Glock 17 due to the availability of 17 round and 33 round mags for these pistols - I like pistols that take 17 / 20/ to 33 round mags and have the capability to share mags with other 9mm firearms - as here in the USA - the Kel-Tec Sub 200 0 or the FX-9 Pistol and Carbine. That is also the reason I want a Beretta 9mm Carbine - the ability to share the specific mags in 30 plus round counts between the Beretta 92 pistols and the Beretta 9mm Carbine.
Disburse-Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2017 The AK FIles