Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > RKBA and Legal

Notices

Old 03-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #71
Armen

AKaholic #: 43020
Default WASR receiver

Problem is that the WASR is a kit, and the receiver was demilled. I've yet to find a replacement US made single stack receiver.
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #72
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen View Post
Problem is that the WASR is a kit, and the receiver was demilled. I've yet to find a replacement US made single stack receiver.
Ah, in that case, you don't need to find anything special.

Just build all the parts on a standard receiver (that take milspec mags) and keep in mind you'll need 4 more US parts (5 if you plan on doing something with the muzzle).
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:40 PM   #73
sleepyrz

AKaholic #: 165862

and also dont forget that the polish blanks count as a us made receiver
sleepyrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:29 AM   #74
Spiker 47

AKaholic #: 164104

922(r) is both unconstitutional and a flaggrant violation of the WTO!!!
Spiker 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:34 AM   #75
motorhead
EVIL GENIUS

AKaholic #: 6093

jesus, imagine that! let ATF know immediately so they can free up all those banned imports.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #76
trekkerpaul

AKaholic #: 170288

One of my Ak47 rifles is a Romanian SAR1 rifle. I wanted to share some 922 info that I got on the Century built Romanian SAR1 and Wasr ak47 rifles. I read some where previously (maybe here) that Century replaced 5 parts on these rifles for 922r compliance. I called them directly this last week and they confirmed these parts were indeed what they replaced.

FCG- 3 parts trigger, hammer, disconnect spring
gas piston- 1 part
pistol grip- 1 part

Hope this helps if you are planning to make changes to your rifle. I personally am going back to the original style stock, built by Ironwood Designs so that I may return to the original look of the bakelite pistol grip.
trekkerpaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #77
trekkerpaul

AKaholic #: 170288

Quote:
Originally Posted by LESchwartz View Post
If you have a threaded muzzle: 15 - 6 = 9, and you should be good.

If you don't have a threaded muzzle then it's: 14 - 6 = 8, and you should be good.

Don't know why you think you can only count the Ironwood set (stock, pg, and handguard) as two parts . . . but if you're thinking that it only subtracts two imported parts, then the math is: 14 - 5 = 9 and 13 - 5 = 8 respectively . . . but you still end up with the same end result.

In any of the above cases, I would stay away from "POS mags" . . . use should be able to use imported mag bodies . . . or better yet, find swap some other parts and use imported mags.

Larry

PS: Edited to reflect that I missed the "milled receiver" in the above post.
I have read that the MAK90 without a threaded barrel is the same as any other AK47 and requires 5 922r compliant replacement pieces. If it has a threaded barrel originally like my early 92 Mak90 converted from a 56s, it would require 6 to comply with 922r rules: US made muzzle attachment. The same would apply if you had your barrel threaded. For me the point is mute since Ironwood doesnt make a stock for converted under folder receivers.
trekkerpaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #78
secrethowitzercorps
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 166763

Am I correct: Is a Polish 80% receiver blank considered a US made compliant part if you weld in the rails, drill, and heat treat it yourself?

Tell your master: We would not seek a battle as we are. Nor as we are, we say we will not shun it.

ďA good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week.Ē G. Patton
secrethowitzercorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #79
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrethowitzercorps View Post
Am I correct: Is a Polish 80% receiver blank considered a US made compliant part if you weld in the rails, drill, and heat treat it yourself?
You are correct.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #80
Lone Eagle
Resident Psycho

AKaholic #: 170792

OK, dumb question. What about a PAP M92 Pistol? I added a US muzzle brake. Do I need to worry?

Lone Eagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:53 PM   #81
nalioth

As has been discussed many times, pistols are not subject to 922r.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:12 AM   #82
Esteps_Guns

AKaholic #: 159161

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalioth View Post
As has been discussed many times, pistols are not subject to 922r.
Correct, however it (922) applies if you (for instance) turn an M92 or M85 PAP pistol into a rifle.. Once you make that conversion (pistol to rifle), you have to add the appropriate compliance parts and keep in mind that the receiver on a PAP pistol is imported so it will not count as a compliance part..

For a pistol (pap M92 / M85) converted into a rifle, you would need to add ::

Muzzle brake or barrel extension (+1)

Gas piston (+1 USA part)

Trigger group (+3 USA parts)

Pistol grip (+1 USA part)

This is because your receiver, trunnion, barrel, handguards, bolt, bolt carrier, mag parts (body, follower, floorplate), stock, etc.. is all made up of imported parts.

On the other side of the coin, the best way I have found to make any rifle compliant is by using ::

(for original barrel builds) ::

USA made trigger group (+3)
USA made muzzle brake (for AK47 builds typically) (+1)
USA made receiver (+1)
USA made gas piston (+1)
*optional* USA made pistol grip (+1, but typically only used on AK74's)

For USA made barrel builds, I use::

USA made Barrel (+1)
USA made receiver (+1)
USA made trigger group (+3)
USA made muzzle brake (if AK47 build) (+1)

*Optional* USA made gas piston (if AK74 build) (+1)
*Optional* USA made pistol grip (can be used in place of piston) (+1)

Also, furniture (Stock, grip, handguards) counts on 922 as well.. If you have a USA made stock set (think ironwood designs), you have three compliance parts (grip, stock, handguards) .

I hope this helps .

No longer taking work
Esteps_Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #83
pep

AKaholic #: 171012

ok, I read the thread and it seems my question was answered. however I want to make sure as I'm new to the ak platform. I just bought a vepr in 54r it uses a single stack mags. so does 922r apply if I want to upgrade my stock and grip. sorry for the ignorance
pep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #84
LESchwartz
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 2434

Quote:
Originally Posted by pep View Post
ok, I read the thread and it seems my question was answered. however I want to make sure as I'm new to the ak platform. I just bought a vepr in 54r it uses a single stack mags. so does 922r apply if I want to upgrade my stock and grip. sorry for the ignorance
My reading of the rules is that because the vepr is an AK-style rifle, 922(r) applies if you upgrade the grip.

Larry
LESchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #85
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2036

What matters is whether or not your mods would make the resulting firearm banned from import. If it would still be importable in a particular configuration, 922(r) does not apply. If it would make it banned from import, 922(r) kicks in.

ALL imported semi auto rifles are covered by the import ban on "non-sporting" firearms. Heck, if you built an AR15 using mainly Canadian parts you'd still have to play the "10 parts rule game".
KernelKrink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #86
Andys051

AKaholic #: 169632

What's the ruling on Magazines? Lately I've been looking at the PAP pistol that uses AR mags.
Andys051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #87
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys051 View Post
What's the ruling on Magazines? Lately I've been looking at the PAP pistol that uses AR mags.
Magazines count as three parts on the list.
Quote:
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates
Otherwise, I'm not sure what you're asking.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #88
Oak47
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 158242
Default 922 check list AK and more

This is great, click link then click one of the choices ( listed under link )

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/LegalFederal922rParts

•AK Family rifles
•FAL Rifles
•G3/CETME Rifles
•Akdal MKA 1919 Shotguns
•Saiga Rifles (Yes, they're really AK's, but I've had more than one person get confused)
•Saiga Shotguns (They actually do have a different parts count vs the rifles)
•SKS Rifles\

OR go right to AK check list here http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

You just check boxes until it say COMPLIANT
Oak47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #89
YGT
Banned

AKaholic #: 172259

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyrz View Post
and also dont forget that the polish blanks count as a us made receiver
So those OOW receivers from ohio are US 922r?:
(That'll save me $10 for a brake or grip)

My real question is a possible ignorant misinterpretation:

I don't remember where I read it but I thought that according to the 1989 ban that if I found a after-date wasr not already with a wire-folder on it, that if I wanted a folder--it'd have to be a tapco or ace, etc...

Im figuring if I buy a kit with wire folder + 922r, its then a US rifle... whatever
Extreme technical/stepping on toes/federal problema question: is it excluaively a 922r thing? Say I get a 90s or 00s century-crap-out that has enough US compliant parts... yay or nay on. Eing able to put a polish or romanian or egyptian folder on it?

(Just clarifying--not an ak currently with wire-side-folder--but one with fixed stock being swapped for "other" foreign stock)
YGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #90
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

As long as you have no more than 10 imported parts from the list the 89 ban does not apply, you can have any folder, bayonet, flash hider, etc. you want. US or foreign made folder makes no difference, as long as it doesn't bump the parts count over 10. Now, state laws also apply, several have "assault weapon" laws still on the books, so a folder of any origin may be forbidden if you live there.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:55 AM   #91
Shaggy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 165600

I just had a thought, so if you were to weld the gas piston to the bolt carrier(not recomended) does it then make that one part and remove one from the list???? if so, what about blind pin?

On a similar note, on a blowback ak, does the bolt and bolt carrier count as one if they are tackwelded togather?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:17 AM   #92
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I just had a thought, so if you were to weld the gas piston to the bolt carrier(not recomended) does it then make that one part and remove one from the list???? if so, what about blind pin?
It does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
On a similar note, on a blowback ak, does the bolt and bolt carrier count as one if they are tackwelded togather?
They do not.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:27 AM   #93
86250rrippin
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 165448

heres an option ........... trigger group (3) , floorplate,follower(2) , gas piston ....done . for range use , and rifle looks unmolested and can use correct fh and furniture. i bought all my rifles as they are, so im not too concerned about these things .....
Old 09-23-2014, 04:03 PM   #94
Der Wandervogel
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 172734

There is some confusion about the so-called AK rear trunnion, if it is a trunnion at all, vs. a stock mounting block. Does it count as one 922r part or not?

I was under the impression that a stripped barrel-receiver assy. (bbl + recvr + front trunnion) counted as 3 parts, the rear trunnion being just along for the ride. Or is it (4) 922r parts?

I ask because I see AMT is now making rear trunnions & unless they were 922r parts what would motivate buyers to buy them other than scarcity?

Last edited by Der Wandervogel; 09-23-2014 at 04:05 PM. Reason: update
Der Wandervogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:06 PM   #95
LESchwartz
Veteran Member
Contributor

I am not an expert . . . but "trunnion" is an old cannon term that refers to the cylindrical projections on either side of a cannon barrel that allows it to pivit. My understanding is that the "mounting block" thus refers to mounting the barrel. Only one of the things AK builders call "trunnions" fits this description. In addition, the ATF's lists of AK parts only include one trunnion.

I used to have a link to a letter from ATF confirming this. However, the link no longer works.

Larry
Old 09-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #96
Der Wandervogel
Veteran Member

Quote:
I am not an expert . . . but "trunnion" is an old cannon term that refers to the cylindrical projections on either side of a cannon barrel that allows it to pivit. My understanding is that the "mounting block" thus refers to mounting the barrel. Only one of the things AK builders call "trunnions" fits this description. In addition, the ATF's lists of AK parts only include one trunnion.

I used to have a link to a letter from ATF confirming this. However, the link no longer works.

Larry
Thanks Larry. As used here I think trunnion requires press fitting or threading a barrel into it. Also a trunnion is used in a machine gun tripod circa WWI & beyond, that I know of.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:15 PM   #97
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

WE call a stock mounting block a rear trunnion, ATF does NOT. It is not a countable part for 922r purposes.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #98
Der Wandervogel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KernelKrink View Post
WE call a stock mounting block a rear trunnion, ATF does NOT. It is not a countable part for 922r purposes.
Aha! Wanted to confirm this before I passed on an untruth.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:42 PM   #99
mikeysone

AKaholic #: 169274

I have a Milled Norinco Mak 90 Sporter Under-Folder. I don't know if there were any milled "Mak 90 Under-Folders". The under-folder is a satin black, where the rest is a very nice Blueing and like new blonde furniture. The stock does have the correct slant.
The rear of the receiver has a slightly curved plate covering the rear that blends in exactly with the receiver and blueing. All matching numbers with all original double hook FCG parts. I'm wondering was it originally a thumb-hole stock. The muzzle brake is pinned. The serial# starts with 93 which from what I've read indicates 1993 production. So if it's originally a thumb-hole stock I need to start doing the 922r thing, correct?

Any thoughts?
John

Last edited by mikeysone; 03-28-2017 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Correction
mikeysone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:54 PM   #100
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysone View Post
I have a Milled Norinco Mak 90 Sporter Under-Folder. I don't know if there were any milled "Mak 90 Under-Folders". The under-folder is a satin black, where the rest is a very nice Blueing and like new blonde furniture. The stock does have the correct slant.
The rear of the receiver has a slightly curved plate covering the rear that blends in exactly with the receiver and blueing. All matching numbers with all original double hook FCG parts. I'm wondering was it originally a thumb-hole stock. The muzzle brake is pinned. The serial# starts with 93 which from what I've read indicates 1993 production. So if it's originally a thumb-hole stock I need to start doing the 922r thing, correct?

Any thoughts?
John
Did you read this thread?

922r isn't a "possession" charge - it's a "manufacturing" charge.

Did you "manufacture" your MAK-90?
Old 03-28-2017, 11:11 PM   #101
mikeysone

AKaholic #: 169274

Quote:

The problem is, I can't prove I didn't. Oh, and yes I did read the thread.
mikeysone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:30 AM   #102
LESchwartz
Veteran Member
Contributor

Quote:

Some folks are understandable nervous about this sort of thing. Given the current political climate, it's probably not realistic to think that anyone is going to come down on anyone. But that could change with the next election . . .

Larry

Last edited by LESchwartz; 03-29-2017 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:39 AM   #103
LESchwartz
Veteran Member
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysone View Post
The problem is, I can't prove I didn't. Oh, and yes I did read the thread.
nalioth can be a little snarky sometimes . . . don't let it get to you (take a look at my sig).

On some gun laws, the prosecutions bar is pretty low. For example, under the old 1994 AWB, the "burden of proof" was very low. While you may have an "affirmative defense" (such as your rifle being pre-ban, etc.) you would have prove you fit into that category.

My understanding is that the burden of proof would lay with the prosecution on a 922(r) violation. Still, I understand why you might be concerned. If you're worried, you can always swap parts . . .

For more info about the low bar of the 1994 AWB, see: http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html#_Toc322267324 and look for the topic "Don’t they have to prove my rifle isn’t 'pre-ban'?"

Larry
Old 03-29-2017, 12:47 AM   #104
nalioth

Quote:
nalioth can be a little snarky sometimes . . . don't let it get to you (take a look at my sig).

On some gun laws, the prosecutions bar is pretty low. For example, under the old 1994 AWB, the "burden of proof" was very low. While you may have an "affirmative defense" (such as your rifle being pre-ban, etc.) you would have prove you fit into that category.

My understanding is that the burden of proof would lay with the prosecution on a 922(r) violation. Still, I understand why you might be concerned. If you're worried, you can always swap parts . . .

For more info about the low bar of the 1994 AWB, see: http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html#_Toc322267324 and look for the topic "Donít they have to prove my rifle isnít 'pre-ban'?"

Larry
This has nothing to do with "pre-ban" or "made in a pie factory last Thursday".

If the guy purchased the rifle in its current condition, he's golden.

The 922r law is aimed at manufacturers.

It does not restrict the sales or possession of non-922r rifles or shotguns.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:36 AM   #105
LESchwartz
Veteran Member
Contributor

Quote:
If the guy purchased the rifle in its current condition, he's golden.
Agreed . . . However, I was also trying to point out that in the case of 922(r) the burden of proof is on the .GOV. With some gun control, the burden of proof for .GOV is pretty low and the defendant gets to prove they fall into one of the exemptions. Probably just confused things.

Larry