Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > General Rifle Discussion

Notices

Old 08-18-2018, 10:49 AM   #1
ohlongarm
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 193447
Default Fostech AR Gen 2 trigger.

My friend let me shoot his Colt 6920 LE with a Fostech trigger that fires on pulling and releasing the trigger.My question is how can this thing be legal when it almost replicates full auto fire?He is a rich man and owns about 20 class 3 weapons and the rate of fire achieved was almost as fast as a full auto Colt.I was able to dump a 60 round Magpul drum in second. No failures with about 300 rds fired.
ohlongarm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:07 AM   #2
Glashaus
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 180938

Shhh, don’t let anybody know about this!
Old 08-18-2018, 11:17 AM   #3
ohlongarm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashaus View Post
Shhh, donít let anybody know about this!
I carry a full auto Colt carbine with an Aimpoint in my cruiser ,and I think the Fostech would be more practical,his stuff is built like a tank.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:24 AM   #4
Glashaus
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 180938

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlongarm View Post
I carry a full auto Colt carbine with an Aimpoint in my cruiser ,and I think the Fostech would be more practical,his stuff is built like a tank.
Yes it is. Franklin Armory binary triggers are nice as well.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:25 PM   #5
Henry Stevens

AKaholic #: 195633

It isn't how fast you can shoot, its how fast you can shoot accurately. My Fostech stopped running in binary about 15% of the time--and when it did it just stopped. The selector switch was bad and the whole thing just unreliable. You can either aim or run in binary but not both. Move a target out 50 yards and you will see.
Henry Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:45 PM   #6
ohlongarm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Stevens View Post
It isn't how fast you can shoot, its how fast you can shoot accurately. My Fostech stopped running in binary about 15% of the time--and when it did it just stopped. The selector switch was bad and the whole thing just unreliable. You can either aim or run in binary but not both. Move a target out 50 yards and you will see.
I'm confused I've shot at 25,50,and 75 yds with no degradation in accuracy,put another 100 rds down the pipe,perfect. Thinking of getting one Prepper gun shop has the best price so far.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:53 PM   #7
Jcoop
Mogadishu on The Mississippi

AKaholic #: 188459

Optics Planet with a coupon code or Dvor for excellent pricing. The Franklin has a cleaner, crisper break in semi-auto, but has greater reliability issues in binary. The Fostech isn't nearly as good in semi-auto, but far more reliable in binary. I've heard there are replacement springs to help the Fostech's semi-auto behavior, but I have yet to try them.
Jcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:55 PM   #8
Henry Stevens

AKaholic #: 195633

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlongarm View Post
I'm confused I've shot at 25,50,and 75 yds with no degradation in accuracy,put another 100 rds down the pipe,perfect. Thinking of getting one Prepper gun shop has the best price so far.
Well, perhaps you were not shooting in binary at full speed. The semi auto trigger is great on this Fostech but when you are in binary, at speed, it is not very accurate since you have no time to re-acquire the target. The best you can hope for are accurate double taps and then re-acquire and repeat, building up your speed.
Henry Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:36 PM   #9
giantpune
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 188807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoop View Post
The Franklin has a cleaner, crisper break in semi-auto, but has greater reliability issues in binary. The Fostech isn't nearly as good in semi-auto, but far more reliable in binary. I've heard there are replacement springs to help the Fostech's semi-auto behavior, but I have yet to try them.
The franklin is also made of higher quality metal. A handful of people got their panties all in a ruffle over the fostech being made from powdered metal. I can't say I've seen reports of them falling apart yet. If you were looking to get one to pass down to your great grandkids, the franklin might be the better option.

I got a couple of the fostech ones based on a more thought out design. Hoping sometime down the line, somebody offers upgrade parts for them if the really do end up beating themselves to death.
giantpune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:47 PM   #10
Driswalds

AKaholic #: 195348

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantpune View Post
The franklin is also made of higher quality metal. A handful of people got their panties all in a ruffle over the fostech being made from powdered metal. I can't say I've seen reports of them falling apart yet. If you were looking to get one to pass down to your great grandkids, the franklin might be the better option.

I got a couple of the fostech ones based on a more thought out design. Hoping sometime down the line, somebody offers upgrade parts for them if the really do end up beating themselves to death.
I will say from first hand experience they will fall apart if you let the hammer fall while installing it LoL.

Sprigs levers and retaining pins come tumbling out.
Its a bitch untill you figure it out.
Driswalds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:35 AM   #11
Jcoop
Mogadishu on The Mississippi

AKaholic #: 188459

Yea the pieces will fly in a 100 different directions if your not careful, but it is definitely a more complete design. The Franklin just seems to barely be holding itself together. Don't be surprised if you have to swap the supplied hammer with a mil-spec due to improper machining. This seems to be a common issue with the Franklin. If it fails the function test it is almost always the hammer. The whole thing seems kind of flimsy next to the Fostech. Shooting them side by side, the Fostech definitely gets the nod in reliability.
Jcoop is offline   Reply With Quote