Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 04-16-2018, 05:38 PM   #36
BFPUAKM
No information available

AKaholic #: 191073

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
Is his mother an AKM? Confused as to how this helps answer the OP's question.....
Yeah really, that's what I was wondering. Anyway, as usual your information is always helpful and appreciated mishaco.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:41 PM   #37
Burgher

AKaholic #: 195397

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsmith View Post
Read the forum rules. You are about to feel the ban hammer.
If I get banned for sarcastically posting a "your mother" joke, then I accept that.
Burgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:45 PM   #38
MIG*7.62
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 192572

You will.

Just as soon as nails finds his way back here....3..2..
MIG*7.62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:51 PM   #39
Burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIG*7.62 View Post
You will.

Just as soon as nails finds his way back here....3..2..
Wasn't really a "negative comment about a family member". If it's interpreted that way, so be it. I don't truly give a shit. Glad we support the first amendment around here.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:53 PM   #40
taildragger21
Bonafied alpha male right winger

AKaholic #: 187172

^lulz^
Talks about 1st amendment support but virtue signals like a commie liberal
Old 04-16-2018, 05:54 PM   #41
taildragger21

Btw. My mom died at 54 in 2011. So there’s that
Old 04-16-2018, 05:57 PM   #42
MIG*7.62
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgher View Post
Wasn't really a "negative comment about a family member". If it's interpreted that way, so be it. I don't truly give a shit. Glad we support the first amendment around here.
Wasn't negative?

Dude, you implied banging his dead mother last night!
Sure, we have the first, but as nails will inform you this isn't public, its owned by someone and they set the rules. Words can have consequences.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:00 PM   #43
Burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragger21 View Post
Btw. My mom died at 54 in 2011. So there’s that
Sorry to hear that. If you're just trying to make me feel like a dick then try again.....momma jokes are the most impersonal thing ever....and obviously I don't know you or your family so there's that.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:00 PM   #44
taildragger21

Quote:
Wasn't negative?

Sure, we have the first, but as nails will inform you this isn't public, its owned by someone and they set the rules. Words can have consequences.
In all fairness I had my share of lude comments to entice him. Not really upset as I have thick skin.
He’s just a smart assed kid. One day his words and attitude will get him a boot to the head in the real offline world. Probably needs it.
The mom thing is always over the line in my book. Homie don’t play that.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:02 PM   #45
Burgher

Quote:
Wasn't negative?

"Your mother" jokes are usually intended to insult the person, not their actual mother. I meant no disrespect to any person but him. I completely understand this is private, which is why I said I accept a ban if the moderator feels that is necessary. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it morally.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:03 PM   #46
taildragger21

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. If you're just trying to make me feel like a dick then try again.....momma jokes are the most impersonal thing ever....and obviously I don't know you or your family so there's that.
Nyet,
My mom died a horrible fast death maybe 5 feet from me. Hard thing to see and experience.
You don’t know me that’s true. It’s all good. But you do talk really outside your neck. What started this whole fiasco is your smartassed reply to my first post on this thread. I’m cool with it. I’m a grown man and normally dont pay pests any mind but I tell it like it is and my skin is thick.
But we have really derailed this poor dudes thread in short time. Take it to pms if you want to pick a verbal online fight.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:07 PM   #47
Burgher

Quote:
Nyet,
My mom died a horrible fast death maybe 5 feet from me. Hard thing to see and experience.
You don’t know me that’s true. It’s all good. But you do talk really outside your neck. What started this whole fiasco is your first smartassed reply to my first post on this thread. I’m cool with it. I’m a grown man and normally dont pay pests any mind but I tell it like it is and my skin is thick.
But we have really derailed this poor dudes thread in short time. Take it to pms if you want to pick a verbal online fight.
In my opinion, you were the one who started acting hostile first. I also have thick skin so it's all good with me. This went from a stupid forum argument to a dark conversation....I have no reason to PM you.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:10 PM   #48
taildragger21

Quote:
In my opinion, you were the one who started acting hostile first. I also have thick skin so it's all good with me. This went from a stupid forum argument to a dark conversation....I have no reason to PM you.
you have your “opinion”.
I weighed in on your post with factual info. You however didn’t have enough thick skin to absorb it and just went all hostile. NOw you’re all”you started it first”.....then you bust out “momma insults”
Stop being a man child. Seriously, you’re gonna get ripped apart here. Akfiles is shark water for noobs.

Last edited by taildragger21; 04-16-2018 at 06:30 PM.
taildragger21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:15 PM   #49
Burgher

Quote:
you have your “opinion”.
I weighed in on your post with factual info. You however didn’t have enough thick skin to absorb it and just went all hostile. NOw you’re all”you started it first”.....
Stop being a man child. Seriously, you’re gonna get ripped apart here. Akfiles is shark water for noobs.
Well if you look back, you technically insulted me first...Also I'm not sure how one gets "ripped apart" over the internet...Like I said I don't actually give a shit. If you seriously thought I was being more hostile than you were, then okay that's your opinion.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:22 PM   #50
MIG*7.62
Curio & Relic

Im just sayin. .

Somebody catching a ban. I guarantee it.
Hell, I had one, once, for "combative posting", so there's that..
Old 04-16-2018, 06:22 PM   #51
mishaco
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 190226

I'm from the South. Here, no one has the privlage of talking down about a family member, unless its another family member. Which in that case, shit can get down and dirty really fucking quick lol.
We can call each other the worst names and do all kind sof bad shit to each other, but let an outsider try even a little of that against one of us, and they'll see just how fast we can put our own disagreements aside.
Nothing unifies a family like a common target lol.

Funny how human psychology works huh?
And its often easier to say shit to people online without really thinking about it or realising its to an actual fellow person; much less likely to happen in a face to face conversation or even argument.

I think we've all posted something that we look back on and wish we hadn't. At least, I know I have. I know I've been a jerk online before and really didn't mean it and then i felt bad later on. Just me though, your milage may vary.

So how 'bout them Russian AKs? Anyone else do a custom Saiga conversion or AKM kit build from a Russian kit?

For me the line is the barrel. I can accept a US receiver shell since the trunnions are still original and really those are the heart of the AKM receiver.
But a US barrel? Nah, its gotta have chromelining and has to have been made with a bunch of hammers hitting it repeatedly.
Why? Honestly i don't have a clue lol. Just what makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
Objectively I realise that a chromelined Green Mtn barrel is probably plenty fine for a semi-auto that i really won't ever shoot more than a couple thousand rounds through over a decade, but for me the barrel is the soul of the AKM. If its original European, then I just feel like the gun retains at least some of that old Comblock spirit.

What do you think?
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:30 PM   #52
Burgher

I still think all of you are blowing that comment waaay out of proportion. Maybe it's a millennial thing, but growing up the "I banged your mom" joke was the go-to joke when you were intentionally trying to be immature for the sake of being funny. Nobody ever meant it as an insult to the actual mother.... Also, you had a ban once? Are bans not permanent?
Old 04-16-2018, 06:30 PM   #53
Claymore
Right-Winger with a Rifle

AKaholic #: 186415

Trail, Burgher, you both are crapping in a really good thread. Seriously, take it downstairs.

John 14:6

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783
Claymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:32 PM   #54
Claymore

Back on subject:

The SAR-1 was the most recent as close to AKM as you could get.

How does the 107-11 stack up compared to the AKM?

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
Old 04-16-2018, 06:34 PM   #55
taildragger21

Quote:
I'm from the South. Here, no one has the privlage of talking down about a family member, unless its another family member. Which in that case, shit can get down and dirty really fucking quick lol.
We can call each other the worst names and do all kind sof bad shit to each other, but let an outsider try even a little of that against one of us, and they'll see just how fast we can put our own disagreements aside.
Nothing unifies a family like a common target lol.

Funny how human psychology works huh?
And its often easier to say shit to people online without really thinking about it or realising its to an actual fellow person; much less likely to happen in a face to face conversation or even argument.

I think we've all posted something that we look back on and wish we hadn't. At least, I know I have. I know I've been a jerk online before and really didn't mean it and then i felt bad later on. Just me though, your milage may vary.

So how 'bout them Russian AKs? Anyone else do a custom Saiga conversion or AKM kit build from a Russian kit?

For me the line is the barrel. I can accept a US receiver shell since the trunnions are still original and really those are the heart of the AKM receiver.
But a US barrel? Nah, its gotta have chromelining and has to have been made with a bunch of hammers hitting it repeatedly.
Why? Honestly i don't have a clue lol. Just what makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
Objectively I realise that a chromelined Green Mtn barrel is probably plenty fine for a semi-auto that i really won't ever shoot more than a couple thousand rounds through over a decade, but for me the barrel is the soul of the AKM. If its original European, then I just feel like the gun retains at least some of that old Comblock spirit.

What do you think?
Agreed on all fronts.
On the barrel thing, the coolest thing now is we can select polish CHF or Romanian barrels for our akm builds.
With a Childers Polish reciever, all the markings, combloc barrel, and the original parts kit we can really get much closer to the origins and originality of our desired collector aks.
The whole USA built parts gun becomes much less of an argument this way. Thanks for your captain obvious input as always misha.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:37 PM   #56
Claymore

Quote:
Agreed on all fronts.
On the barrel thing, the coolest thing now is we can select polish CHF or Romanian barrels for our akm builds.
With a Childers Polish reciever, all the markings, combloc barrel, and the original parts kit we can really get much closer to the origins and originality of our desired collector aks.
The whole USA built parts gun becomes much less of an argument this way. Thanks for your captain obvious input as always misha.
Seeing combloc barrel coming in again makes me smile.

Seriously, all this crying over the AK market, we need to lift up our head and realize that there are still some glimmers of hope.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:39 PM   #57
taildragger21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
Seeing combloc barrel coming in again makes me smile.

Seriously, all this crying over the AK market, we need to lift up our head and realize that there are still some glimmers of hope.
Agreed.
Myself I actually sold some of the newer factory built sporter purpose imports and went on a kit gun spree. I collect Mosin, Mauser, and many milsurps so a great correct kit build just has more soul to me.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:45 PM   #58
BFPUAKM
No information available

This is in all likelihood the closest I'll get to owning a Russian AKM. 1993 Intrac imported Maadi ARM with Russian wood, grip, sling and bakelite mag.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:06 PM   #59
BFPUAKM
No information available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
Back on subject:

The SAR-1 was the most recent as close to AKM as you could get.

How does the 107-11 stack up compared to the AKM?
The 107-11 has a 90 degree gas block. If it had a 45 degree looks like it could be a decent AKM clone or am I missing something else?
Old 04-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #60
bigrog210
Vierfruchtpyjama
Contributor

AKaholic #: 177977

Quote:
Douche canoe? Schmuck? Okay grandpa, try not to get your blood pressure too high lmao. I never said it was basically an AKM smart one, I said it's closer than your American-made AKM with Russian parts. Go back to bed.

EDIT: Since you are incapable of comprehending, here is some reference for you: https://modernrifleman.net/2015/03/2...configuration/ I never implied this is 100% like an AKM.....
And with this quote i already know who you are

///
Magaholic

CTAK social group
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/group.php?groupid=39
bigrog210 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:41 PM   #61
Claymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFPUAKM View Post
The 107-11 has a 90 degree gas block. If it had a 45 degree looks like it could be a decent AKM clone or am I missing something else?
duh, I totally forgot about the gas-block.

It seemed like the rivets and every other aspect from the rifle were from the AKM

Old 04-16-2018, 07:54 PM   #62
TXsailor

AKaholic #: 193986

It's funny you mention the barrel Misha. That's my line in the sand too. I love my PSAK, and it wasn't the bolt or the trunnions that led me to adding another so soon. For some reason i just REALLY wanted that hammer forged chrome lined barrel.
TXsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:00 PM   #63
mishaco
Curio & Relic

There are several other differences between the SLR107R and an AKM like the SAR-1 or Maadi or even WASR10.
However, yep the gas block is by far the most noticeable, but it signals a deeper difference.

Russia and others went from the orig milled AK, to the stamped AKM, and then evolved that into the AK74, and finally today's AK100 series.

Bulgaria (i.e. Arsenal AD) took a different approach. It started with the AK T3 and instead of moving to the AKM in the 1960s, it just tried to update the original milled design to make it better and easier/cheaper to mass produce.
This is how the AR-M1 and later versions like the AR-M4 and AR-M9 came to be. But i am getting ahead sorry.

After Russia switched to the AK74, AKS74, and AKS74U in 5.45x39, Bulgaria was one of the few Comblock nations to make the switch too and also adopt virtual exact clones of the Russian guns.
So Arsenal started making the AK74 series in the mid 1980s, using some parts provided by Russia and later making its own.

So they jumped from the milled AK T3 (modified) to the stamped AK74; skipping the AKM entirely.

After the end of communism in Bulgaria, the factory went back to its milled roots. It combined several of the modernizations and improvements of the AK74/AKS74, with a press+pin barrel version of the milled T3 receiver to create the AR-M1.
So you had a classic style receiver and modern style barrel group.

Fast forward to 2006 or so, and Arsenal Inc. starts importing the SLR107FR and SLR106FR semis into the USA. Many people like to call these AK103 and AK101 clones, but really they aren't. They don't have the Izhmash updates that made the AK74M/AK100 series. Instead, they were based on the AKS74, just in 7.62x39 and 5.56x45 rather than 5.45x39.
This is why they use an older style of muzzle brake, ribbed top cover, older style of scope rail, and on and on. For years, all that Arsenal imported in this stamped receiver line were AKS side folders.
That is until the SLR107R came along.

The SLR107R is the same gun as the SLR107FR, but with a traditional fixed stock rather than folder. Also it has 14mm muzzle threads and no lug under the FSB (just on the GB).

The SLR107R is an AK74 chambered for 7.62x39. Its parts are '74 spec and not AKM. It even uses a '74 style forked rear trunnion.
Not surprising since it seems Arsenal AD, Bulgaria never produced the AKM in the first place.

Also, the SLR107 series seems to be made for the USA market, as all of the select fire rifles on the Bulgarian military sales site are built on milled receivers.

cheers,
Old 04-16-2018, 08:08 PM   #64
Claymore

Quote:
There are several other differences between the SLR107R and an AKM like the SAR-1 or Maadi or even WASR10.
However, yep the gas block is by far the most noticeable, but it signals a deeper difference.

Russia and others went from the orig milled AK, to the stamped AKM, and then evolved that into the AK74, and finally today's AK100 series.

Bulgaria (i.e. Arsenal AD) took a different approach. It started with the AK T3 and instead of moving to the AKM in the 1960s, it just tried to update the original milled design to make it better and easier/cheaper to mass produce.
This is how the AR-M1 and later versions like the AR-M4 and AR-M9 came to be. But i am getting ahead sorry.

After Russia switched to the AK74, AKS74, and AKS74U in 5.45x39, Bulgaria was one of the few Comblock nations to make the switch too and also adopt virtual exact clones of the Russian guns.
So Arsenal started making the AK74 series in the mid 1980s, using some parts provided by Russia and later making its own.

So they jumped from the milled AK T3 (modified) to the stamped AK74; skipping the AKM entirely.

After the end of communism in Bulgaria, the factory went back to its milled roots. It combined several of the modernizations and improvements of the AK74/AKS74, with a press+pin barrel version of the milled T3 receiver to create the AR-M1.
So you had a classic style receiver and modern style barrel group.

Fast forward to 2006 or so, and Arsenal Inc. starts importing the SLR107FR and SLR106FR semis into the USA. Many people like to call these AK103 and AK101 clones, but really they aren't. They don't have the Izhmash updates that made the AK74M/AK100 series. Instead, they were based on the AKS74, just in 7.62x39 and 5.56x45 rather than 5.45x39.
This is why they use an older style of muzzle brake, ribbed top cover, older style of scope rail, and on and on. For years, all that Arsenal imported in this stamped receiver line were AKS side folders.
That is until the SLR107R came along.

The SLR107R is the same gun as the SLR107FR, but with a traditional fixed stock rather than folder. Also it has 14mm muzzle threads and no lug under the FSB (just on the GB).

The SLR107R is an AK74 chambered for 7.62x39. Its parts are '74 spec and not AKM. It even uses a '74 style forked rear trunnion.
Not surprising since it seems Arsenal AD, Bulgaria never produced the AKM in the first place.

Also, the SLR107 series seems to be made for the USA market, as all of the select fire rifles on the Bulgarian military sales site are built on milled receivers.

cheers,
+1

I wonder if that is why there have been so many issues with the 107-11

Old 04-16-2018, 08:19 PM   #65
BFPUAKM
No information available

OHHHH I didn't even realize that Bulgaria totally skipped over the AKM. Very interesting.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:39 PM   #66
HairTrigger
Contributor

AKaholic #: 164970

It's an AKM ,,,,no damn it ,,,,,it's a AK 10x series ,,,, that damn gas block

Old 04-16-2018, 08:41 PM   #67
357hipower

AKaholic #: 192744

I'm thinking of buying a Russian parts kit, sourcing a real Russian barrel, and sending everything to Mario at Piece of History Firearms. I hear he does excellent work! Any thoughts on this guys?
357hipower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:46 PM   #68
mishaco
Curio & Relic

Good idea, and also good luck sourcing a true Russian AKM barrel.
Saiga and VEPR barrels have different profiles, so wouldn't work with the AKM GB and trunnion. At least not without mods.

Either the Polish FB or Romanian Cugir barrel would work fine though.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:32 PM   #69
357hipower

AKaholic #: 192744

I want a Russian only
357hipower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:03 PM   #70
Kosmoline

AKaholic #: 186904

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357hipower View Post
I want a Russian only
If you're set on wanting Russian only, I'd probably just recommend getting an SGL-21. It's as close to an AK-103 as we'll ever be able to get in the USA (and is all Russian minus the few 922r parts, like the trigger group and muzzle brake).

I honestly wish you the best of luck in your quest for a Russian AKM barrel! Like Misha said, finding an original Russian AKM barrel, though not impossible, is extremely difficult. Even if you found a barrel and a nice matching kit, you would probably need to build it on a US receiver (though they do make some very nice looking copies of the originals and I would love to have a matching numbers, original military barrel, Russian AKM quality build).

Let us know what route you decide to take! If you go with a build be sure to share some pics!
Kosmoline is online now   Reply With Quote