Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-74s

Notices

Old 04-14-2018, 06:49 AM   #1
Zemlyak
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183159
Default SLR106F question

Question is very simple: Is your Slr106F or FR over-gassing? I wish to get it but I am not sure after Slr106cr if I should do this, it is absolutly not a pleasure to shot this rifle because of this reason.

Last edited by Zemlyak; 04-14-2018 at 07:08 AM.
Zemlyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:15 AM   #2
bravo lima

AKaholic #: 187837

No.
bravo lima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
AK74NOLA
5.45x39 Master Race.

AKaholic #: 193147

My slr 106F is fine no iver gas issues. I am actually looking to part with mine thow to fund another project, if your looking to pick one up.
AK74NOLA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:10 PM   #4
hamdizle

AKaholic #: 78202

If you think it's over gassed, then get a wolf extra power recoil spring...
hamdizle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:48 PM   #5
aresshrike

AKaholic #: 180010

No, none of the 4 SLR-106FR's I've got are overgassed.
Neither was the 106CR I had, for that matter.
Which is not to say that yours can't be.

"If you think it's over gassed, then get a wolf extra power recoil spring..." - hamdizle
Sounds like a good idea.
aresshrike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:04 AM   #6
Zemlyak
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamdizle View Post
If you think it's over gassed, then get a wolf extra power recoil spring...
I donít think it will help, many people are reporting this. Slr106CR is heavily over gasing rifle by design.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:50 PM   #7
86onTSLs

AKaholic #: 191943

My 106f is the most pleasant to shoot ak that I own. Even better that my 5.45 rifles.
86onTSLs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:26 PM   #8
aresshrike

The SLR-106F/R and 106CR have the same length gas system, same gas pistons, and same 16" barrel.
Only one has a functional muzzle brake, the other has nothing, functional anyway.

I'm pretty sure they both will have the same gas port size too.
So how would the CR be overgassed, while the F isn't?
Old 04-15-2018, 10:26 PM   #9
Zemlyak
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresshrike View Post
The SLR-106F/R and 106CR have the same length gas system, same gas pistons, and same 16" barrel.
Only one has a functional muzzle brake, the other has nothing, functional anyway.

I'm pretty sure they both will have the same gas port size too.
So how would the CR be overgassed, while the F isn't?
That scares me even more I want to believe they are different in gas port. My CR rifle is overgassing since shot one, damaged cases are getting thrown at least 15 yards away, heavy recoil on ALG trigger, bolt is moving much faster etc. Not even close to how my Slr104fr or Vepr 5.45 etc shots, day and night. I would say it is close behavior to my Sig 556xi/5.56 rifle but CR over-gassing is stronger.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:39 PM   #10
HWNSTYLX

AKaholic #: 194211

Get a KNS Precision adjustable piston. It worked wonders in my AK54r. Don’t be messing with springs or drilling out gas port.
HWNSTYLX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:45 PM   #11
aresshrike

All Kalashnikovs (Galils and Valmets included) damage cases, and fling brass a mile away.
I'm not saying yours isn't, but, I just question why the CR would be overgassed, while the same spec (in regards to the gas system, barrel length, etc) F/FR model doesn't seem to be.
Have you had a chance to compare the two, on the range?
That muzzle brake does make a difference in how it feels, but still.

Are you shooting pretty hot 5.56, or some cheap .223?
That'll make a difference too.

But yes, a little "overgassing" is indeed, a design factor for alot of the AK variants, to keep the thing going, no matter how much dirt gets in their.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:56 AM   #12
AK-ula
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

AKaholic #: 159323
Default Gas port size

Ares,
There are several threads on the 106-CR's being slightly to WAY over gassed.

The idea being they were designed for 12.5" barrels.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333731

start at post #23.
But there are other threads.
Somewhat fortunately the seller told me "This thing kicks like a mule and has FTFd issues".
So I knew what I was getting into....sorta kinda.

Zemy is in a panic and rightly so. He spent abit of money and his CR is having issues.
He just doesn't want to plow the same row 2x.

Zemy, have you considered a Saiga .223 AK?

MJ
Old 04-16-2018, 04:27 AM   #13
Zemlyak
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-ula View Post
Ares,
There are several threads on the 106-CR's being slightly to WAY over gassed.

The idea being they were designed for 12.5" barrels.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333731

start at post #23.
But there are other threads.
Somewhat fortunately the seller told me "This thing kicks like a mule and has FTFd issues".
So I knew what I was getting into....sorta kinda.

Zemy is in a panic and rightly so. He spent abit of money and his CR is having issues.
He just doesn't want to plow the same row 2x.

Zemy, have you considered a Saiga .223 AK?

MJ
I was thinking about Vepr .223 in wood plus conversion, I did many like this already. Not sure, Arsenal SLR106f seem no conversion is required rifle but this overgassing is annoying problem, I don’t like to repeat this issue again. Also I got 10 Arsenal mags already, that is a lot of $.
Thanks for your response with info.

Last edited by Zemlyak; 04-16-2018 at 04:36 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:34 AM   #14
Zemlyak
Veteran Member

Quote:
All Kalashnikovs (Galils and Valmets included) damage cases, and fling brass a mile away.
I'm not saying yours isn't, but, I just question why the CR would be overgassed, while the same spec (in regards to the gas system, barrel length, etc) F/FR model doesn't seem to be.
Have you had a chance to compare the two, on the range?
That muzzle brake does make a difference in how it feels, but still.

Are you shooting pretty hot 5.56, or some cheap .223?
That'll make a difference too.

But yes, a little "overgassing" is indeed, a design factor for alot of the AK variants, to keep the thing going, no matter how much dirt gets in their.
Sorry, but you are wrong not all and as I said 9 AK’s is in my gun cabinet, CR is the worse hands down. I am shooting a lot, with this rifle I was trying any ammo from Federal 5.56/62gr to Golden Wolf .223, Barnaul .223/55gr - pretty much all bad with some slightly better results on .223.

Last edited by Zemlyak; 04-16-2018 at 04:56 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:46 AM   #15
Zemlyak
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWNSTYLX View Post
Get a KNS Precision adjustable piston. It worked wonders in my AK54r. Don’t be messing with springs or drilling out gas port.
Thanks, it is for sure interesting piston to consider. Would drilled gas tube help anyhow?
Old 04-16-2018, 04:53 AM   #16
akakfire

AKaholic #: 195050

And the reason why is it is probably properly gassed. even if the ports were a little larger than they should be the longer gas system reduces the pressures compared to a carbine or midlength gas system.

It is possible to take a carbine length gas system and make it shoot as smoothly as a rifle length gas system. With an adjustable gas block you can lengthen the gas system by reducing the carbine length gas systems pressures to the same pressure as a rifle length gas system. This slows the bolt velocity down to a point where the rearward impact is significantly less.
akakfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:50 PM   #17
aresshrike

OK.
The only thing that could be overgassing your gun is if the gas port is too big.

Anything you could do to relieve some of that gas pressure on the piston would help.

You can remove the gas block and tack weld the port, then redrill it to the "proper" size, or sleeve the gas block down to size.

Drilling gas port holes in the gas tube, or slightly increasing the existing gas ports in the gas block, where it meets the gas tube, would help, but you'd have to do it in very smell increments.

That adjustable gas piston does the same thing, venting the gases from the piston, decreasing the pressure, that could be a good fix too.

I would want to compare the 106-F/FR models to your CR first though, not to be a dick or anything but, they really are the same gas systems.
I know you've got 9 AK's, but are they all 5.56 guns? Compare apples to apples.
No offense brother, I really am just trying to help, and yeah, it does sound like it's overgassed, considering some of the less powerful ammo your using.

Best of luck to ya' brother.

Last edited by aresshrike; 04-16-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:17 PM   #18
Zemlyak
Veteran Member

Quote:
OK.
The only thing that could be overgassing your gun is if the gas port is too big.

Anything you could do to relieve some of that gas pressure on the piston would help.

You can remove the gas block and tack weld the port, then redrill it to the "proper" size, or sleeve the gas block down to size.

Drilling gas port holes in the gas tube, or slightly increasing the existing gas ports in the gas block, where it meets the gas tube, would help, but you'd have to do it in very smell increments.

That adjustable gas piston does the same thing, venting the gases from the piston, decreasing the pressure, that could be a good fix too.

I would want to compare the 106-F/FR models to your CR first though, not to be a dick or anything but, they really are the same gas systems.
I know you've got 9 AK's, but are they all 5.56 guns? Compare apples to apples.
No offense brother, I really am just trying to help, and yeah, it does sound like it's overgassed, considering some of the less powerful ammo your using.

Best of luck to ya' brother.

Thanks for responce but my question is different - is this cartrige in general OK for AK or it will cause similar issues with other models and makers? Why should I worry about hot, no hot rounds? I really don’t have to do this with 5.45, 7.62, .308 AK’s I own, I know they are different. Maybe another AR is just better option? I like any firearms and I don’t mind actually getting anything else in 5.56/.223. I am having simmilar but lighter issue with my Sig 556xi, but it is manageable. Any of mine AR’s or Tavor, Arx100 etc is just fine or excellent with it.

Last edited by Zemlyak; 04-17-2018 at 03:51 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:30 PM   #19
aresshrike

Yes, the cartridge is absolutely fine for Kalashnikov actions.
Look at the Israeli Galil, the Finnish Valmet, or the Polish Beryl.
Fantastically reliable weapons. (though they were all designed from the start, for 5.56)
Heck, look at the standard Bulgarian Army issue "assault rifle".
That should look pretty familiar, the Arsenal AR-M1
Same guns as ours(SLR-106), but with milled receivers.(and full auto, of course)
So, yes, 5.56 does just fine in Kalashnikovs.

You should probably start with finding out exactly what you're gas port size is, and what the specification is supposed to be. That'd be a fine start, and we could go from there.

Sorry, I just realized the SLR has a 90 gas block, not like the Galils 45 degree, so you'd have to remove the gas block to check that out.

**It might be true, I don't know, that "Arsenal intended their CR models to be real, shorter barreled SBR's, with the AK-102 barrel length, so they made the gas ports larger than the regular 106" - which would totally explain your issue.** That'd explain both your and my questions, if it's true.**

I thought, looking at them, "same-same" functionally, but, if that really is what they did, that'd be a whole different story.

Last edited by aresshrike; 04-16-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:54 PM   #20
theserb

AKaholic #: 196308

I have one. Absolutely love it. I'd stake my life on it 100%. I wouldn't worry about it. Run circle 10s and you'll never have an issue.
theserb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:49 AM   #21
Zemlyak
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-17-2018, 09:59 PM   #22
Sadly Missing
CRUSADER

AKaholic #: 167102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemlyak View Post
I don’t think it will help, many people are reporting this. Slr106CR is heavily over gasing rifle by design.
Quote:
I don’t think it will help, many people are reporting this. Slr106CR is heavily over gasing rifle by design.
This.

I believe the port size on the CR versions is for a shorter barrel.

Much like the 1st runs of UR's, intended for a short barrel.
They added a restrictor to later models due to so many complaints of overgassing.
Then if you chopped the barrel the damned restrictor needed drilled out.

I have two 106CR's at the moment, both were so overgassed and would cycle so violently that they would often fail to strip a round in to battery in one way or another. Another that I've sold off was identical.

+20% recoil springs did nothing.

Chop the barrel.

Modify your gas piston if you'd like to keep the 16" barrel.

Drilling holes in the gas tube, enlarging the gas tube / gas block vent holes will accomplish nothing.
Infact the only purpose it serves is to ensure the piston head returns centered in the gas block.

I have shot two friends FR models with no overgassed symptoms.

Last edited by Sadly Missing; 04-17-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Sadly Missing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:04 AM   #23
Zemlyak
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadly Missing View Post
This.

I believe the port size on the CR versions is for a shorter barrel.

Much like the 1st runs of UR's, intended for a short barrel.
They added a restrictor to later models due to so many complaints of overgassing.
Then if you chopped the barrel the damned restrictor needed drilled out.

I have two 106CR's at the moment, both were so overgassed and would cycle so violently that they would often fail to strip a round in to battery in one way or another. Another that I've sold off was identical.

+20% recoil springs did nothing.

Chop the barrel.

Modify your gas piston if you'd like to keep the 16" barrel.

Drilling holes in the gas tube, enlarging the gas tube / gas block vent holes will accomplish nothing.
Infact the only purpose it serves is to ensure the piston head returns centered in the gas block.

I have shot two friends FR models with no overgassed symptoms.

I wish I read this before buying CR, but it is too late. Do you know if F model is anyhow different to FR besides no optics mount which is obviouse difference between them.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:43 AM   #24
Sadly Missing
CRUSADER

AKaholic #: 167102

Quote:
I wish I read this before buying CR, but it is too late. Do you know if F model is anyhow different to FR besides no optics mount which is obviouse difference between them.
I'm not saying all CR's are like that but the sample size of four that I've crossed paths with certainly were.

Don't regret buying it if you like the rifle it is easily fixed.
Either get a stamp and chop the barrel or modify your gas piston if you want to retain the 16" barrel.

Maybe there is a muzzle device that would give you the 16" if you were to chop and pin it?

The piston is easily swapped out and cheap enough to experiment with, there are threads on this topic.

A KNS adjustable piston would make it easier.

I'm not aware of any other differences of the F / FR models other than whats stated?

I'm surprised your selector stop plate isn't give you trouble on the CR lol.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:22 PM   #25
artman74

AKaholic #: 50644

I took SLR -106F out to the woods today for some AK fun. I shot some Tula 223 steel case, 62 grain brass case and some cheap 55 grain Remington value pack with zero issues. It does sling the brass a long ways but not any further than my 5.45 rifles.
artman74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:48 AM   #26
Zemlyak
Veteran Member

On my CR got Wolf extra power spring installed on new telescopic type of spring rod. Cycling become slightly better, ALG trigger also doesn’t hit my finger back as hard as before. No issues with original bulgarian mags and Barnaul .223. Not perfect but I could leave with it, thanks everyone!
Old 05-02-2018, 03:28 PM   #27
PORTER
Been there done that.

AKaholic #: 184098

Want to trade it away let me know.