Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-74s

Notices

Old 02-12-2018, 10:40 PM   #1
Commanderfluffly

AKaholic #: 186193
Default 74 parts kit build by century.

Does anyone know about the AK74 parts kit build on nodak spud receiver? Looking to pick up this 74 from a buddy of mine. From what i can tell it's imported by century and built off Bulgarian parts kit. Asking $900 with 2k rounds of 7n6 and several good mags. Everything looks good on the rifle, rivets and all.
Commanderfluffly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:01 PM   #2
AK-ula
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

AKaholic #: 159323
Default work backwards on the deal

2K 7N6 ~$400
Several mags ? 3-6?
$75-150

So, 900-475 = $425
900-550= $350

From past searches the Nodak's were GTG and most likely had a non CL Green Mountain barrel. Some had ESS barrels.?

I think these rifles were called M74's from Century.

Post up some pics if you snag it.

Good luck
MJ
Old 02-12-2018, 11:18 PM   #3
Commanderfluffly

He did not say how many mags yet. Just that he had several. Its none crome lined barrel according to him also. I will have to search m74 then. Just want to make sure im getting a good buy.
I will post picturss (after) i remove all its tapco with red russian wood lol.

Also he did not relise it was not crome lined at first. Said the barrel is still good but you can see where it started to get effected. My plan was to send the rifle to our local AK shop and have them rebarrel it with a 4150 crome lined barrel.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:51 AM   #4
AK-ula
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

Default rifle finish

If the rifle has a dull grey parkerized finish it most likely is a M74.

The numbers I posted were based on the low side and the mags being Comm-block mil spec.

I have 2 and even with the basic barrel they shoot very well. The only 2 issues I had to address was:
1 Extractor spring (weak/replaced)
2 Recoil spring (weak/carrier slam/replaced) got them from this member.
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showth...ghlight=spring

I was considering either the AK builder Nitride barrel or a GM C-L barrel.
https://ak-builder.com/index.php?dis...oduct_id=30802

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/ak47-10...7-1974-barrel/

Another member posted about a Faxon barrel.
http://faxonfirearms.com/ak-74-16-5-...twist-nitride/
I didn't know they made one in 5.45.

MJ
Old 02-13-2018, 05:33 AM   #5
crashmaniac
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 74946

Or buy a KVar CLCHFB barrel they fit great and they can be found for less then retail and do what I did,
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showth...=326125&page=2
if you dont like DDR pick a different flavor, Trunnion is scrubbed , and none of the other parts will match numbers wise anyway. I can say the original barrel wasnt fit to stake my dog in the yard with, chamber was absolute garbage. But with that barrel it is one of my favorite shooters.
"And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. ".
--Good OL' TJ
crashmaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:14 AM   #6
Mkashuda

AKaholic #: 186907

I've got a non Nodak receiver M74 from century and mine has been g2g, shoots lights out and is very reliable. I know these are hit or miss, but i've been super happy with mine and would try to grab another one since they tend to run somewhat cheap.
Mkashuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:31 AM   #7
AK-ula
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

Default barrel

crash,
I went on KVAR and their 5.45 barrels were like ~$250. I am sure they are good barrels. I have seen them marked down to $189 on occasion.

But Faxon barrels are no slouch.

Anyhow OP, if you get the rifle post up some pics// range report.

Cheers
MJ
Old 02-13-2018, 04:47 PM   #8
crashmaniac
Silver Contributor

Oh I know AK-ula, I wouldnt and didnt pay that much I have seen those exact barrels in the MP several times for a lot less though and thats where I got mine, I guess folks think they are gonna try to build and get cold feet, Im not sure. OP just keep your eyes open.

Now thats not to say theres any issue with any of the US CLCHF barrels though tho reports I got on them when I was shopping around were all good. I will say this ,the Kvar barrel came 2.224” journal and fit right into my trunnion without turning down just some fyi.The original barrel century actually knurled to get it to fit in there which I wasnt real happy with.

But yeah OP let us know if you get it, these really arent that bad and many like the ones they do have.Even if you get one that has the issues with failure to extract like mine was, the chamber can be polished to fix it. I just wanted a little nicer rifle to put all the DDR parts I hunted down on so I swapped the barrel. I would buy another if I could inspect it first.
"And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. ".
--Good OL' TJ
Old 02-13-2018, 05:00 PM   #9
etown_ak
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 169947

I got one for a deal with ammo and mags. It’s been a good rifle so far. I did this to it and plan to use it in a rifleman course or two this summer.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:45 PM   #10
AK-ula
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

Default chamber

Crash brings up an interesting problem I forgot about.

And this only happened when shooting Wolf 69g. (which several members had issues with) The cases would get stuck or fail to extract. Even after replacing the extractor spring.

I searched around and on the US barrels the chambers are lil tighter and this can lead to stuck cases.

Polish out the chamber with a series of sandpaper/scotchbrite/metal polish (medium>fine>x-fine) IF? you not good with that just use scotchbrite and it should help. Then clean it out really well and your GTG.

Now back tracking further. Some of the early M74's had headspacing issues. I can't tell you what S/N was affected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aIP4yZOcW

MJ
Old 02-13-2018, 10:33 PM   #11
Commanderfluffly

Great info guys. I will post up pictures that he sent me. But be warned, your eyes might bleed from the taco. I will probably just give the rifle to local shop here, FCGM, let them guys works their magic on it lol.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:47 PM   #12
Commanderfluffly

Old 02-14-2018, 12:22 AM   #13
def90
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 154917

Don't give it to the local shop, they will fuck it up even worse. Buy a set of Russian 74 wood in the marketplace and swap it out for that abomination stock and handguards and all will be right in the world.
def90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:55 AM   #14
Commanderfluffly

Red russian wood is a must for sure. The local place is Fire Control Group Manufacturing, great guys that specialize in the AK type rifles. I trust them fully with changing out the barrel.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:34 AM   #15
AK-ula
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

Default Tapco

That folding stock is Douche chills......

Fluffy, what barrel you going with ? I would try out that Faxon barrel, but good luck with whatever you do.

How many and what brand of mags did you snag?

MJ
Old 02-14-2018, 02:55 PM   #16
Commanderfluffly

Idk what barrel yet, probably try the faxon. Its like 3 crap tapco mags and 6 Bulgarian mags. Told you, its eye bleeding right now. But i will save it and bring it back to its glory lol.

Last edited by Commanderfluffly; 02-14-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:03 PM   #17
Commanderfluffly

Talked to the guys at FCGM, they can rebarrel the gun for $150 and reparkerize it. Going with the faxon barrel which he also recommended. How are the front sight block combo? Like this one https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod104529.aspx

Any benefit worth changing to it?
Old 02-14-2018, 11:24 PM   #18
AK-ula
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

Default FSB-GB

Are you going to SBR it? If not then no.

But if you are going that route spend a few $$ more and get this:
http://www.k-var.com/front-sightgas-...senal-bulgaria

And some 3mm pins.
https://ak-builder.com/index.php?dis...oduct_id=30328

Most likely your AK guy will have these though.

Cheers
MJ
Old 02-14-2018, 11:43 PM   #19
Commanderfluffly

I thinking maybe 14.5" then pinned brake. But think I will just keep it simple.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:19 AM   #20
AK-ula
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

Default barrel

Hey it would be a shame to cut that Faxon barrel. If you could whatever barrel you get.
Do a before and after accuracy test with a few different ammo's.

1 Original barrel: Wolf/SilverBear/7N6.
2 Replacement barrel: ^^^^^

That is.... if you got the time and energy.

Cheers
MJ
Old 02-16-2018, 12:16 AM   #21
Commanderfluffly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-ula View Post
Hey it would be a shame to cut that Faxon barrel. If you could whatever barrel you get.
Do a before and after accuracy test with a few different ammo's.

1 Original barrel: Wolf/SilverBear/7N6.
2 Replacement barrel: ^^^^^

That is.... if you got the time and energy.

Cheers
MJ

I can do that no problem. Not sure how much the accuracy was affected by the corrosion. But would be interesting to compare. do a 100 yard and 50 yard test. Yeah think I'm just going to keep the faxon barrel as is.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:19 PM   #22
crashmaniac
Silver Contributor

If you have to swap that FSB for a combo ok, but all your doing is killing the sight radius, so if your not chopping the barrel, like Ak-ula said,I wouldnt. If you are by all means. Please do yourself a favor, if you plan on using that century barrel at all, get headspace gauges or have the gunsmith you are going to use check the headspace. Not only was my chamber dicked up which is how I got rifle cheap, Mine failed the No-go and ate the gauge, but passed field gauge test, so technically was maximum servicable headspace at the extreme or at the edge of being safe to fire , but it wasnt like I was gonna fire it with that barrel anyway. Bought it with the plan of pushing the barrel out of it.

A word of warning,even the smiths here around me who know how to work on AKs,save for one, dont have 5.45 gauges just 7.62, and having a set of all three has come in handy a couple times now and are not a frivolous investment.

I wouldnt pay to have them reparker it if thats extra, just shoot two coats of appliance epoxy, and bake at 450 for an hour between coats, plenty of youtube tutorials on doing it. It really comes out great, doing it over parker comes out very good.Its easy to do , cheap, durable, and can be redone as many times as you need to if you are tough on the weapon. Ive tried more expensive coatings and for the price you really cant beat it. Hell some commie countries used marine epoxy paint over parker, so it isnt much different. Thats what that MPI clone is painted with and you know what, the Dust cover and muzzle brake ,and stock are still in original DDR paint and they match perfectly, and that finsh is holding up great. I like the way it patinas over the parker with heavy use to.
--Good OL' TJ

Last edited by crashmaniac; 02-18-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:25 PM   #23
Commanderfluffly

Im not chopping the barrel. I had the headspace checked and all is good. Barrel actually looka fine in the bore
Old 02-16-2018, 09:41 PM   #24
crashmaniac
Silver Contributor

Ok just check it often after firing, cause it can change. The knurled some of those barrels to fit instead of using barrels with a large enough outside diameter journal so they can move.

You should know after first range trip wether the chamber needs work, cases will get stuck pretty soon after firing, at least thats been what I witnessed and have read about with them. Let us know if all works out ok. Feel free to PM me to if you have a question or what not.
--Good OL' TJ
Old 02-16-2018, 10:02 PM   #25
Commanderfluffly

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaniac View Post
Ok just check it often after firing, cause it can change. The knurled some of those barrels to fit instead of using barrels with a large enough outside diameter journal so they can move.

You should know after first range trip wether the chamber needs work, cases will get stuck pretty soon after firing, at least thats been what I witnessed and have read about with them. Let us know if all works out ok. Feel free to PM me to if you have a question or what not.

I will go ahead and order some 5.45 gauges
Old 02-18-2018, 11:59 PM   #26
deadduck357
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 14612

Some have had issues, mine has been solid.
deadduck357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:26 PM   #27
Tommy-FCGM

AKaholic #: 192706

Quote:
Originally Posted by def90 View Post
Don't give it to the local shop, they will fuck it up even worse. Buy a set of Russian 74 wood in the marketplace and swap it out for that abomination stock and handguards and all will be right in the world.
We build the best AK's in the country, he is in good hands. Our proprietary barrels for our production gun (The SK-17) are manufactured by Faxon to our blueprints. They are the best in the world. We will be releasing 5.45 barrels next year also. http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...g-sk-17-rifle/
Tommy-FCGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:51 AM   #28
Commanderfluffly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-FCGM View Post
We build the best AK's in the country, he is in good hands. Our proprietary barrels for our production gun (The SK-17) are manufactured by Faxon to our blueprints. They are the best in the world. We will be releasing 5.45 barrels next year also. http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...g-sk-17-rifle/
Next paycheck I will be buying that barrel amd sending it to you guys.