Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Handgun Forums > General Handgun Discussion

Notices

Old 12-25-2017, 11:01 AM   #36
praxidike
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 191101

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcopple View Post
1. Those people are morons who don't understand that this gun is a KelTec in disguise. You should inform them of that so they don't piss away their hard earned dollars

2. You must be confused about the Ruger American. It was designed for the MHS handgun trials. I have no idea where the $200 you are talking about is coming from. They already blew it on the RAP, no reason to upgrade it in the future. It's ship has sailed due in MAJOR part to Ruger engineers being so GD dumb in the first place. It was all right there for the taking, they just continually F'd it up and will continue to do so. God damn it, I wish just one time I could sit in these design meetings and shed some common sense and actual market demand that they clearly don't realize will help sell buttloads of guns.

It's just like with S&W. It seriously took them to late 2017 to realize they needed to produce an M&P the exact same size as the G19 which has been kicking their ass for years and years. Judas Priest man...MORONS!
So what islf its a Kel Tec in disguise. The LCP was also a Kel Tec in disguise, but made by ruger with better customer support, fit and finish, and appearance. Look how well those sold and how many people prefer them. The LCP is arguably the best selling 380 on the market. Are the thousands who preferred those over Kel Tec's offering morons too? What do you have against competition in the market?

The $200 is the price point Ruger is trying to compete in with the Security 9; however, you seem to be hating on the S9 and are upset over them not manufacturing a pistol that would have cost much more with features that some might not want....

What does the release of the Security 9 have to do with the RAP? Why are we even discussing it? Why hate on this pistol based on what you think are short comings of a completely different line of pistols?
praxidike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 11:16 AM   #37
RobertFootball

AKaholic #: 193636

Ruger is late to the game with the ugly cheap pistol. That ship sailed last year when Trump won. Now that prices are falling all over the place, you don't see cheap guns selling as much as you do guns that were $700 now selling for $550, just as an example. Unless this is close to price with the SDVE, you can forget it.
RobertFootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 11:23 AM   #38
praxidike
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFootball View Post
Ruger is late to the game with the ugly cheap pistol. That ship sailed last year when Trump won. Now that prices are falling all over the place, you don't see cheap guns selling as much as you do guns that were $700 now selling for $550, just as an example. Unless this is close to price with the SDVE, you can forget it.
What are people who want cheap beater gun or who can't afford an almost $600 pistol buying? If Taurus with it's bad history of CS and reliability can sell and continue to sell thousands of G2s, Ruger can sell the S9... Taurus proved that there was a huge market at that price point, and Ruger is trying to take some of their market shares by selling to people who otherwise could not afford to buy.

Last edited by praxidike; 12-25-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:39 AM   #39
RobertFootball

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxidike View Post
What are people who want cheap beater gun or who can't afford an almost $600 pistol buying? If Taurus with it's bad history of CS and reliability can sell and continue to sell thousands of G2s, Ruger can sell the S9... Taurus proved that there was a huge market at that price point, and Ruger is trying to take some of their market shares by selling to people who otherwise could not afford to buy.
A lot of police trade-ins coming on the market. Most are .40 cal but still $299 is $299 for a Glock, hard to beat. TONS of first gen M&P's in 9 and .40 that are police trade ins that go for cheaper than that if you spend a few mins looking online. Then you have killer rebate deals on stuff like new SD9VE's. Hell, even milsurp pistols are coming over in 9mm that are killing it in this market! There are lots of options for good cheap guns besides this and a Taurus. I think Taurus sells the G2 due to price but then people realize "my God what a crappy trigger this thing has!" and it ends up at a pawn shop or on armslist. There was also the rebate for the Shield awhile back that sold like crazy.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:15 PM   #40
dwcopple
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171373

Exactly^^^

And the reason I brought up the American, was to prove the point that Ruger is second rate at pistol engineering, at best.
dwcopple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 02:01 PM   #41
praxidike
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFootball View Post
A lot of police trade-ins coming on the market. Most are .40 cal but still $299 is $299 for a Glock, hard to beat. TONS of first gen M&P's in 9 and .40 that are police trade ins that go for cheaper than that if you spend a few mins looking online. Then you have killer rebate deals on stuff like new SD9VE's. Hell, even milsurp pistols are coming over in 9mm that are killing it in this market! There are lots of options for good cheap guns besides this and a Taurus. I think Taurus sells the G2 due to price but then people realize "my God what a crappy trigger this thing has!" and it ends up at a pawn shop or on armslist. There was also the rebate for the Shield awhile back that sold like crazy.
You are still looking at it from a perspective of what you and those in your circle like and want instead of what others like and can afford. I've yet to see a 9mms Glock or .40 in good condition for $300, and in general, .40 cal isn't that popular because of recoil and ammo price. I go to gun shops regularly and I'm not seeing all the thousands of used G2s you claim owners dumped. The trigger isn"t great, but it isn't that bad as well. It's good enough for self defense purposes and definitely not bad to the point of needing to sell the gun. The G2 is restrike capable with a long heavy, and gritty trigger, so maybe that is what you are referring to?

I agree that the Shield was $300-$330 before the rebate, but didn't sell like hotcakes until after the price dropped to under $250. I already had one, but even I purchased two more at those prices. There's a huge market for pistols in that price range, and that's why Ruger came out with the S9 modeled after their popular LCP.

I also agree that there are currently killer deals on the SD9VEs, but how does Ruger make a profit off of that? How does that help folks who do not like the SD9VE, and would like to own a Ruger instead? So according to you, Ruger shouldn't enter the market with their own competiting pistol because Kel Tec and S&W are already selling something somewhat similar? So using that logic, only one company should every make a single stack 9mm, pocket 380, 1911, etc?

Last edited by praxidike; 12-25-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:03 PM   #42
praxidike
Veteran Member

Quote:
Exactly^^^

And the reason I brought up the American, was to prove the point that Ruger is second rate at pistol engineering, at best.
Yet the American does not require an "optional" upgrade to keep it from firing when dropped...
Old 12-25-2017, 02:14 PM   #43
RobertFootball

Quote:
You are still looking at it from a perspective of what you and those in your circle like and want instead of what others like and can afford. I've yet to see a 9mms Glock or .40 in good condition for $300, and in general, .40 cal isn't that popular because of recoil and ammo price. I go to gun shops regularly and I'm not seeing all the thousands of used G2s you claim owners dumped. The trigger isn"t great, but it isn't that bad as well. It's good enough for self defense purposes and definitely not bad to the point of needing to sell the gun.

I agree that the Shield was $300-$330 before the rebate, but didn't sell like hotcakes until after the price dropped to under $250. I already had one, but even I purchased two more at those prices. There's a huge market for pistols in that price range, and that's why Ruger came out with the S9 modeled after their popular LCP.

I also agree that there are currently killer deals on the SD9VEs, but how does Ruger make a profit off of that? How does that help folks who do not like the SD9VE, and would like to own a Ruger instead? So according to you, Ruger shouldn't enter the market with their own competiting pistol because Kel Tec and S&W are already selling something somewhat similar? So using that logic, only one company should every make a single stack 9mm, pocket 380, 1911, etc?
Here's the Glock for $299 I mentioned. This is just at one place online, there are others too. Gen 4 22's are going for as low as $319. Amazing deals!

https://www.recoilgunworks.com/glock...n-p-24084.html
Old 12-25-2017, 06:59 PM   #44
dwcopple
Curio & Relic

Quote:
I also agree that there are currently killer deals on the SD9VEs, but how does Ruger make a profit off of that? How does that help folks who do not like the SD9VE, and would like to own a Ruger instead? So according to you, Ruger shouldn't enter the market with their own competiting pistol
Ruger was there already with the 9E. There is no need for this. As I saw it on another forum, " it seems Ruger is just throwing shit at a wall to see what sticks". Sad
Old 12-25-2017, 07:57 PM   #45
Dezfan
Kalashnikov Fan

AKaholic #: 170325

I just like Rugers.

Own serveral, SR9c, LC9s Pro, SR22, P95, Mark II, and eventually an American Compact will join the collection.

They are reliable, affordable, and more than serviceable.

Sure I wish Ruger would get the message that things like mag compatability would be awesome, that not being one step behind on the integration of new idea would be beneficial to their reputation, and that customization is important.

Incorporating the chassis concept and being able to change frames just to switch sizes or colors like Sig P320, Bersa BP9cc, etc... is the future in hand gun design.

But non of the Rugers I own are bad guns. Ruger has great customer service for their their offerings and a great warranty as well.

Like I said, I'll probably add a S9 to my collection as some point, just because I like hammer fired guns and I look the look of the S9.

1776TV.com
Dezfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 08:02 PM   #46
ARMT Guy
Takin' care of business

AKaholic #: 165711

For real street prices, it'll sell.

Bubbas and thuggers will be all over this one.
ARMT Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:41 PM   #47
dwcopple
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARMT Guy View Post

Bubbas and thuggers will be all over this one.
Are they smart enough to run a manual safety? I thought that was why they went Sigmas and Glocks
Old 12-26-2017, 01:00 PM   #48
ARMT Guy
Takin' care of business

AKaholic #: 165711

Quote:
Are they smart enough to run a manual safety? I thought that was why they went Sigmas and Glocks

It's actually SD9s and SCCYs.
ARMT Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 01:44 PM   #49
ninjamateo
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 170268

Seriously all y'all bitchin, this is good because it'll allow the price of other guns to come down.
Competition is great for us gun owners.
ninjamateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:41 AM   #50
Charlemagne
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 137433

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Trollo Mejor View Post
I love the match champion! I just need a blued one and I would be on it like stink on shit.

Which Match Champion, the GP100 or the SP101?
Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:08 AM   #51
smithy72
Contributor

AKaholic #: 187266

The point isn't its a Keltec,SCCY copy etc. The people who will buy this gun ,will
because its American made by a company they know will stand behind the guns
unlike Taurus ,etc.
They don't give a shit about its ergonomics, looks,etc. Brand familiarity and price will sell it.
If it actually shoots good ok, but since they cant shoot well enough to tell ,its a moot point anyway.
Not trying to bash Ruger in any way ,own a few ,but the centerfire autos are
always a little off.
smithy72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:55 AM   #52
Charlemagne
Curio & Relic

This thing looks to be a competent polymer nine by a manufacturer with a reputation for building reliable guns for $200 less than the competition. So what if it's not the very best?
Old 12-31-2017, 10:06 AM   #53
dwcopple
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlemagne View Post
This thing looks to be a competent polymer nine by a manufacturer with a reputation for building reliable guns for $200 less than the competition. So what if it's not the very best?
Old 12-31-2017, 12:08 PM   #54
codifier
Your Huckleberry

AKaholic #: 170379

Lots of shit talking about a pistol the vast majority if not all in this thread haven't even handled, let alone shot. You can say "I don't like X or I think Y is a bad idea" but when you make multiple, argumentative posts about it one has to wonder why you're so committed to something you think isn't worth your time. Especially since you haven't handled/shot/owned one.

I own lots of guns. Expensive ones, budget ones. Another in the stable is always a good deal unless it's a pile of shit and that will show in time. I am glad Ruger is targeting the inexpensive market. If they can make a decent handgun that most people can afford it can help create more gun owners, and allow people to defend themselves and their families that otherwise couldn't afford to or would have to go with Taurus garbage.

If you don't dig it, move on. Otherwise I begin to suspect it's just sour grapes because it's yet another gun you can't afford or the old lady won't let you get your balls out of her purse long enough to purchase another gun. There is nothing about this gun known yet, especially by the people bitching here on a personal level, that warrants the flogging being given.

Quote:
All the power [the State] has is what society gives it, plus what it confiscates from time to time on one pretext or another;
there is no other source from which State power can be drawn. Therefore every assumption of State power, whether by gift
or seizure, leaves society with so much less power.

― Albert Jay Nock, Our Enemy, the State
codifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:17 PM   #55
dwcopple
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by codifier View Post
Lots of shit talking about a pistol the vast majority if not all in this thread haven't even handled, let alone shot. You can say "I don't like X or I think Y is a bad idea" but when you make multiple, argumentative posts about it one has to wonder why you're so committed to something you think isn't worth your time. Especially since you haven't handled/shot/owned one.

I own lots of guns. Expensive ones, budget ones. Another in the stable is always a good deal unless it's a pile of shit and that will show in time. I am glad Ruger is targeting the inexpensive market. If they can make a decent handgun that most people can afford it can help create more gun owners, and allow people to defend themselves and their families that otherwise couldn't afford to or would have to go with Taurus garbage.

If you don't dig it, move on. Otherwise I begin to suspect it's just sour grapes because it's yet another gun you can't afford or the old lady won't let you get your balls out of her purse long enough to purchase another gun. There is nothing about this gun known yet, especially by the people bitching here on a personal level, that warrants the flogging being given.
This is a KelTec (wolf) in sheep's clothing. Ruger already has a decent gun for the cheap market in the 9E.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:42 PM   #56
ninjamateo
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 170268

Quote:
This is a KelTec (wolf) in sheep's clothing. Ruger already has a decent gun for the cheap market in the 9E.
Unlike a keltec it won't break on ya lol
ninjamateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:50 PM   #57
raggedwhole!
Banned

AKaholic #: 172787

There is nothing wrong with the market being saturated. Competition breeds innovation and more options. It is a win for us.
raggedwhole! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:35 PM   #58
Charlemagne
Curio & Relic

Quote:

You're the one who missed the point dwcopple Not everybody wants to or even can spend the money to have what you happen to think is the latest and greatest.

Remember that just because you want to spend your money buying "the American, was to prove the point that Ruger is second rate at pistol engineering, at best" not everybody has that much money to burn!
Old 01-01-2018, 04:47 PM   #59
El Trollo Mejor
Chorizo Picante
Contributor

AKaholic #: 186187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlemagne View Post
Which Match Champion, the GP100 or the SP101?
GP100 would be my choice. The half lug looks so much better.

None of the above is legal advice, ese. All posts are the mere opinion of El Trollo. Think of abuelita before doing anything that might make you a criminal.
El Trollo Mejor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:48 PM   #60
dwcopple
Curio & Relic

I would NEVER buy the American, ever. Tell me the lowest price you find the security 9 for shipped, I will find you three Alternatives that are better and cheaper.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:41 PM   #61
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -
Contributor

AKaholic #: 157162

Fuck that thing looks like shit!
Sublimeon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:18 PM   #62
Dezfan
Kalashnikov Fan

AKaholic #: 170325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublimeon24s View Post
Fuck that thing looks like shit!

Not as ugly as the Block.

1776TV.com
Dezfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:00 PM   #63
praxidike
Veteran Member

Quote:
I would NEVER buy the American, ever. Tell me the lowest price you find the security 9 for shipped, I will find you three Alternatives that are better and cheaper.
Why are you still here? We get it, you do not personally like a pistol you have no first hand experience with. We understand and heard you the first dozens of times you mentioned it. Again, why are you still here wasting so much of your time and energy discussing a pistol you aren't going to purchase?
Old 01-02-2018, 11:02 PM   #64
praxidike
Veteran Member

Quote:
Now they have another for people to choose from... So what.. Get over it already.

Last edited by praxidike; 01-03-2018 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:18 AM   #65
Charlemagne
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Trollo Mejor View Post
GP100 would be my choice. The half lug looks so much better.

What you ought to do is get a blued steel GP100 with the 4" barrel. Have a gunsmith, who knows what he is doing, mill that underlug down to a half lug and then get some nice wood grips. The resulting gun would have that old school Security Six look with GP100 strength.