Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Handgun Forums > General Handgun Discussion

Notices

Old 03-16-2019, 08:17 PM   #36
cal50
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2400

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sinko View Post
I had one and it was a piece of shit. It would not cycle with ANY factory loaded ammo. I bought it new from a guy who owned the next one in sequence off the production line and his had the same problem. I sent mine back to FN TWICE and they could not / would not fix it. I despise FN so much that there are times I think about just giving away my SCAR 17.

That will make the FN cheerleaders cry.....the truth hurts.

After having a few different modern FN firearms and dealing with FN for warranty issues as well as sub par performance its pretty stupid to buy any FN when the factory clearly does not give a crap about its civilian sales counterpart.

The 5.7 MIGHT be a fun round with the military loading in its designed bullet but semi auto its an overpriced .22 mag in the pistol or the PS90. I really like the PS90 design wise but after putting some rounds thru one it was the biggest disappointment in a firearm I have ever fired. LOTS of hype, crap performance.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:44 PM   #37
SAIGA 5.45
King of the Apemen

AKaholic #: 174648

Shot one once, the hallmarks were insane muzzle blast, the pistol felt cheap for what it could have been IMO, and when hearing it whack steel it just didn't have that thump of the larger traditional rounds like I like, that thud that says I am gonna get in there nice and deep like.

That said a PS90 would be fun to mess with no doubt, one hell of a little PDW just based on weight and firepower.

The next Miss America will be David Hogg- Owen Benjamin.

SCAR Heavy, SCAR of might, may your peerless excellence shine forever bright. - gayest quote of the year so far.
SAIGA 5.45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:48 PM   #38
codifier
Your Huckleberry

AKaholic #: 170379

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIGA 5.45 View Post
Shot one once, the hallmarks were insane muzzle blast, the pistol felt cheap for what it could have been IMO, and when hearing it whack steel it just didn't have that thump of the larger traditional rounds like I like, that thud that says I am gonna get in there nice and deep like.

That said a PS90 would be fun to mess with no doubt, one hell of a little PDW just based on weight and firepower.
I shot a PS90 and was overwhelmingly... underwhelmed. And this from someone who lusted after one like no other.

Quote:
All the power [the State] has is what society gives it, plus what it confiscates from time to time on one pretext or another;
there is no other source from which State power can be drawn. Therefore every assumption of State power, whether by gift
or seizure, leaves society with so much less power.

― Albert Jay Nock, Our Enemy, the State
codifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:56 PM   #39
AK-104
Stroke My Member

AKaholic #: 162667

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOROLANUT View Post
USSS....Nuff said.
Lol. Those guys aren't cops. C'mon man. Glorified bodyguards and such. I guess it all makes sense.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:05 PM   #40
Glashaus
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 180938

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
What's a good place to snag for 5.7 ammo? Working on a buddies P90 and I'd like to run some confirmation rounds through it. Seems like a neat little gun. More comfortable than the Tavor which I've played with a bunch. I'm not impressed by the 5.7 pistol.
I have been getting my 5.7x28 from SGammo, they have the military and police 5.7, good stuff

https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pisto...ale/57x28-ammo
Old 03-16-2019, 10:44 PM   #41
cal50
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2400

Quote:
Originally Posted by codifier View Post
I shot a PS90 and was overwhelmingly... underwhelmed. And this from someone who lusted after one like no other.
Nailed it.

I had the hots for one ( and an FFL at the time) and sooooo glad I put a few hundred rounds thru one before ordering. After firing it I was really left scratching my head and thinking "WTF" ?

I did pick up an FN SPR , shotty and an FNP tactical and all of them are long gone and not missed. I fired a Scar 17 and its likely the best thing FN is building or has to offer but it did not give me an erection or do anything any of my other 7.62 rifles can do.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:59 PM   #42
JoeCorrado
FNG

AKaholic #: 193119

While I agree that the 5-7 does feel cheap in the hand, I really enjoy shooting it along with everyone who has shot mine. Is it the end all, be all? Nope. Not even close. Can't comment on the PS90 because I have yet to shoot one. I've lusted after one for quite some time though. I hope I'm not as disappointed as some of ya'll were with it if I ever get one.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:16 PM   #43
69Rebel
Building Helicopters for Mi General

AKaholic #: 179450

It's a niche gun firing a niche round, IMO. FN was never gonna sell millions of them. IMCO.

That ain't a beer belly, son. It's a fuel tank for an ass-whoopin' machine.
69Rebel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM   #44
MOTOROLANUT
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187095

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-104 View Post
Lol. Those guys aren't cops. C'mon man. Glorified bodyguards and such. I guess it all makes sense.
Not in the daily police patrol/response sense. BUT they are recognized with peace officer status in many states and serve a vital function within the govt. I am sure they have a specific reason to carry the P90 Sub Gun and Five Seven Pistol.
MOTOROLANUT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM   #45
VALMET_M76
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashaus View Post
I have been getting my 5.7x28 from SGammo, they have the military and police 5.7, good stuff

https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pisto...ale/57x28-ammo
No, they do not offer the SS190 AP ammo which is what makes the 5.7 special.

Civilians cannot legally buy the ammo the weapon was designed for. All you can buy is target and hunting ammo and that is what is in your link..
VALMET_M76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM   #46
coolsolid

AKaholic #: 161316

I remember when the original double ring trigger guard 5-7 was sold, everyone was buying one. The reason you don't see anymore of the ring trigger guard ones is because they had a habit of blowing up. The redesigned square trigger guard works well though.

If you want something fun, get this. Rock and roll with binary, and good "velocity" with "ball ammo."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx-8FOf644s

Safety First My Friends ! - Mayor Fuglycool
coolsolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM   #47
Thunderhorse
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172770

My roommate in College had one. Along with his SCAR 17, KRISS Vector, and Benelli M4 his gun collection largely consisted of what he liked in Call of Duty.

A blast to shoot, but the price of ammo along with the ease of accurate rapid fire made it expensive to take out very often.
Thunderhorse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM   #48
JoeCorrado
FNG

The Banshee would be badass with a binary trigger!! The suppressor is pretty pointless on this caliber though. I don't get why people try to suppress such a fast round. Just MHO.
Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM   #49
HAL-9000
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 157339

Nothing that the PS90 can do that my AR556 can't do better, expensive ammo, short range rifle and handgun. Only selling points were the AP ammo and a 50 round magazine.
HAL-9000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM   #50
JoeCorrado
FNG

A PS90 is a lot more compact package with better capacity and still being easily maneuverable. Same with the 5-7 pistol. Excellent capacity in a small package compared to an AR pistol. Plus, it's much more exclusive than bubba home built AR's. That's subjective but that's my take on it. I like being different and not having the same as everyone else.
Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM   #51
glockamolee

AKaholic #: 5319

I'd rather just drop a 9x25 Dillon barrel in my Glock 20. 90 grain at +/- 2000fps. Oh.... and my Shockwave and RMR turn it into a viable 250 yard weapon.
glockamolee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM   #52
Glashaus
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET_M76 View Post

Civilians cannot legally buy the ammo the weapon was designed for. All you can buy is target and hunting ammo and that is what is in your link..
Yes , the 190 is the older round is hardly ever seen on the US civilian market, the newer police/military round is the 198 which I was referring to as SG ammo having the good stuff, the link that I originally posted was for all the 5.7 ammo that SG Ammo carries, hunting & target ammo plus the 198, military and police ammo

https://www.sgammo.com/product/57x28...igh-performanc
Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM   #53
MOTOROLANUT
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187095

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET_M76 View Post

Agreed that's what initially made the two guns special was the SS190AP (Armor Piercing). Ah the good old days.
MOTOROLANUT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM   #54
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashaus View Post
Yes , the 190 is the older round is hardly ever seen on the US civilian market, the newer police/military round is the 198 which I was referring to as SG ammo having the good stuff, the link that I originally posted was for all the 5.7 ammo that SG Ammo carries, hunting & target ammo plus the 198, military and police ammo

https://www.sgammo.com/product/57x28...igh-performanc
As I understand it, the SS190 ammo is still made and still restricted to LE as the forward portion of the core is a cone shaped steel penetrator that makes it AP as well as a steel jacket. The SS198 ammo is basically a +P+ version of the civilian available SS195 lead free round. And the SS195 is the same as the old discontinued SS192 round with a lead free primer. Which probably limits the shelf life of the cartridge. The projectile is a copper jacket over an aluminum core.

In tests the SS198 ammo did not reliably penetrate level IIIA body armor like the SS190 does. It is however a good expanding HP round if one is inclined to carry one for self defense, just don't expect it to take out an armor wearing individual. The AP ability was and is the 5.7's main claim to fame, a good .22 Magnum load is similar in effectiveness to the legally available civilian 5.7 loads and is about half the price or less.

KernelKrink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM   #55
Glashaus
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KernelKrink View Post
As I understand it, the SS190 ammo is still made and still restricted to LE as the forward portion of the core is a cone shaped steel penetrator that makes it AP as well as a steel jacket. The SS198 ammo is basically a +P+ version of the civilian available SS195 lead free round. And the SS195 is the same as the old discontinued SS192 round with a lead free primer. Which probably limits the shelf life of the cartridge. The projectile is a copper jacket over an aluminum core.

In tests the SS198 ammo did not reliably penetrate level IIIA body armor like the SS190 does. It is however a good expanding HP round if one is inclined to carry one for self defense, just don't expect it to take out an armor wearing individual. The AP ability was and is the 5.7's main claim to fame, a good .22 Magnum load is similar in effectiveness to the legally available civilian 5.7 loads and is about half the price or less.

Yes KK you are correct, 198 is like a +P+ and about the best 5.7×28 that is pretty regularly available on the US market. I like my five seven and my PS90 and the 5.7, but they are just another tool in the tool box amongst all the tools that I own
Old Today, 04:35 PM   #56
Deerhurst

AKaholic #: 195346

Got to play w ith a PS90. It's a weird space gun and neat to shoot but with the cost of ammo it's pretty useless. I'd buy one if it were 9mm or even 22lr but I don't see why I would shoot 5.7 when I can shoot Tokarev. A Tokarev P90 would be sweet!