Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Galils, Valmets and the R series

Notices

Old 04-25-2017, 10:50 AM   #1
evnash

AKaholic #: 192527
Default Ongoing upgrades to my Golani

I've always been a fan of the galil but couldnt afford one at this point. i ran across a new in box golani in a small town gun shop so i picked it up. Serial number GLN060xx. He gave me one 35 rd steel mag and 2 50 round steel mags. all in rough shape. the mags were not in the box with the rifle. So far ive ran 500+ rounds of cheap Tula steel cased and a few mags of freedom brass cased with only a couple of ftfs. gun is accurate as i have no problem ringing still out to 125 yards. one "mental issue" i am having is quickly disengaging the thumb safety. it seem backwards to me. much easier to push the thumb lever forward than back. but this moves it to safe. so i have been using my firing hand fingers to sweep down like a standard AK.

Upgrades:
For iron sight i prefer a fiber optic insert in the front post. i got an AK fiber front from highvis. I made a sight removal tool out of a bolt and let the factory front sight sit in kroil overnight. i had to re profile the sides of the sight so it would screw down far enough to sight in. works great and much easier to pick up.

I wrapped the top tube of the stock in OD green paracord so my check wouldn't slam down on bare metal when i am shooting fast.

i polished the chamber and feed ramp a bit with flitz.

finally i made a 1" nylon quick adjust sling with HK style quick mounts.

Last edited by evnash; 07-17-2017 at 03:43 PM.
evnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #2
evnash

MAGS:

i bought 5 steel surplus mags from Numrich. i sanded all them and the mags that came with the gun and sanded down and hit with steel wool. i sprayed them with truck bed coating to add some tracking then a final coat of ultra flat black camo spray paint to knock down the shine. the feel great. on several i had to use a punch to push out the front tab to prevent the rounds for hanging. one of the 50s isnt reliable so i as had as i tried to fix it. one of the steel mags is a darker and better color and had an IMI rollmark on it. i decided to leave that one stock, thought it might be worth more than the others.

i also got a couple orlite mags. i had to sand quite a bit to get them to fit. both on the front tab and the rear wall. it took some work but they now both function great. i stippled the front and rear of each mag as well for traction.

Last edited by evnash; 07-17-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:56 AM   #3
evnash

next project is to make a custom kydex mag carrier. i make holsters as a hobby and mak mag carriers for all my rifles.

heck i might offer them for sale to members if there is any interest.

(just noticed the AR mags are stuck in backwards in the pic. lol)
Old 04-25-2017, 11:04 AM   #4
Rev06
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 185972

Great pics. Look like that baby is ready to go to work.

I'd be interested in Kydex mag carriers w C Clips (J hooks) like the one pictured. Something where I don't necessarily have to a belt to use it.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:10 AM   #5
evnash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev06 View Post
Great pics. Look like that baby is ready to go to work.

I'd be interested in Kydex mag carriers w C Clips (J hooks) like the one pictured. Something where I don't necessarily have to a belt to use it.
well those clips are called Speed clips. they are mean to be worn with a belt as they have tabs on both sides that will grab onto the belt. i have them on all my pistol holsters and they are very secure but can be taken off easily. im sure you could try them without the belt but if the mag retention is normal the whole carrier might pull up and off your pants. but if there is a seam in your pants where the stitching is it might grab that ok.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:30 AM   #6
Rev06
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 185972

Quote:
Originally Posted by evnash View Post
well those clips are called Speed clips. they are mean to be worn with a belt as they have tabs on both sides that will grab onto the belt. i have them on all my pistol holsters and they are very secure but can be taken off easily. im sure you could try them without the belt but if the mag retention is normal the whole carrier might pull up and off your pants. but if there is a seam in your pants where the stitching is it might grab that ok.

Yup I use something like this now for small single stack CCW guns. I like the option mag carriers mainly for casual outdoor use with a "Battle Belt" where you could place the clips over the Battle Belt and either hook the tabs on the Molle straps or just jam it in place w tension from the battle belt and whatever coat etc you have under it.

Have you ever thot about making them w those super strong "UltiClips"? Man I love those things. You will pull your pants off over your head before those things come unlatched.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:50 PM   #7
AKita

AKaholic #: 172169

Best first post ever! Congrats & welcome.
AKita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:33 PM   #8
Stick2586

AKaholic #: 191188

Concur! Great post, like what you've done with the paracord, very nice! Well done sir! Cheers!
Stick2586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:02 AM   #9
Cole Dedhand
A Militia of One

AKaholic #: 186633

Nice pics.

Not to be a killjoy but keep an eye on your headspace. My Golani has excessive headspace. I'm going to have to replace the barrel.
Cole Dedhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #10
evnash

Figured out a working solution for mounting a red dot. 1" clamp on 3 way pic rail clamped onto the gas tube. Had to file down the bottom edges of the clamp to get it to clear the barrel and had to add some nylon strapping material to take up some space between the clamp and gas tube. Added a $15 bushnell from the recent rebate deal and sighted it.

Easy to take on and off and the clamp was $12 on amazon