Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Shotguns

Notices

Old 08-26-2017, 09:50 AM   #176
Sindri556

AKaholic #: 193312

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorincoKid View Post
no option when I got mine. Probably would have gone with the black, but im not against spray painting a $139 gun.

Use the graphite color synthetic Rit Dye. Mine came out fantastic.

In fact I'm thinking about buying another one, the 26" this time, and I'll just dye it from brown to black to match my 19" one (chopped down the 24" version).
Sindri556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:15 AM   #177
Wakko

AKaholic #: 10054

Informative thread.
"In valor there is hope." - Tacitus
Wakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:58 AM   #178
destrux
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177278

I just read up on how the auto adjust gas system works on the Beretta and it's very simple.

The barrel is drilled for the biggest gas port that could possibly be needed for the weakest ammo to cycle. Then on the front of the gas chamber (the chamber that's under the barrel that the piston sits inside of) there's a set of port holes around the center hole where the stud passes through. The front of those port holes is sealed off with a washer with a spring in front of it. It acts as a relief valve for the extra gas. The spring is preload adjustable to fine tune the gun for loads that are very strong (reduce preload, bleed more gas off) or very weak (increase preload, retain more gas).

If the Beretta gas parts won't fit the SAS barrel (they might, if you drill the port holes and drill out the gas ports) then making something like that from scratch on a lathe would be pretty simple.

From what I've read about the system it works ok but still needs to be tuned for each load. It wasn't very effective at auto adjusting. I think on mine I will just stick to what loads cycle just right and leave the gun more simple and easy to work on.

Last edited by destrux; 08-28-2017 at 12:28 PM.
destrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:18 AM   #179
CaptBlatGat

AKaholic #: 183247

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBlatGat View Post
My SAS12 finally came in at the end of last week and I'd like to make a range report because I've had a very different experience. When I unboxed mine, all i did was wash the cosmoline off in the shower under very hot water, and dish soap. I then stripped it down and coated every surface with Hoppes no. 9. When i got it to the range i successfully cycled 25 rounds of Federal Hi-Brass Lead 1 1/4oz 6 shot. I had exactly three malfunctions: 2 faliure to feeds and one failure tk eject. Amd the FTE and one of the FTFs was the same round.

I didn't expect it to work so well, so that's all the High Brass ammo I brought. But, then just to see what'd happen, I loaded it up with Federal 1 1/8 8 shot, the 100 rounds for $20 stuff from Walmart. And I'll be damned if it only had one FTF the entire box! I don't know if I just got lucky or what, but mine eats low brass as well. Ill be able to shoot again this weekend and I plan on taking a sampling of different ammos to try, and I'll report back.

So, got out to the range again yesterday and put another 50 rounds of the same low brass Federal through it again. I got 2 5rd mags in and wanted to take them for a spin. I swapped the followers in one of the 3 and 5 rounders leaving me with 1x 2rd, 1x 3rd, 1x 5rd, and 1x 6rd magazines. I also haven't cleaned the gun since removing the cosmoline, so I was running it dirty yesterday.

Im pleased to report only two FTEs in the entire 50rds. In addition to that I was firing quickly, attempting to make the gun fail. I had numerous FTFs across the board with all 4 magazines. So, clearly the magazines aren't the best, but it doesn't seem like any particular combination of magazines and followers is any better or worse than any other combination.

That said, I was having issues inserting and removing the 5rd magazines, to the point where one of the 5s got jammed in the magwell and had to be pulled on quite forcefully to get it out. I managed to smoosh the magazine closed a little more which helped with the fittment issues, and didn't seem to impact feeding at all. So, if anyone has any ideas on how to improve the magazines I think it'd go a long way towards improving reliability of the platform.
CaptBlatGat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:25 PM   #180
destrux
Veteran Member

Other than simple deburring and making sure all the latch tabs are identical I can't think of much you can do with them to make any improvements.

How smooth is the feed ramp in your gun? That's more likely to cause problems than the mags themselves I think.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:39 PM   #181
KC913

AKaholic #: 155912

Handles great with the addition of a Mossberg 500 adjustable stock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oilS0_N5tlM
Old 08-31-2017, 08:08 AM   #182
mac_tek

AKaholic #: 193346

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC913 View Post

Looks great, well done and thanks for sharing
mac_tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:58 AM   #183
mac_tek

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC913 View Post

Did you have the chance to do your how-to on this?
Old 09-10-2017, 06:52 AM   #184
KC913

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_tek View Post
Did you have the chance to do your how-to on this?
I didn't, yet. I am currently bouncing back and forth between my house and my mothers house, as she is in the last stages of lung and brain cancer and can no longer care for herself. I have a lot of videos planned, but time isn't as available as I had planned only a few short weeks ago. I was running on about 5 hours sleep over the span of 3 days in that video. I just noticed how tired I sounded. I also repeated myself talking about the fiber optic sights.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:20 PM   #185
rogers

AKaholic #: 165529

First off thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread. I enjoyed reading it and learning from others experiences while waiting on my SAS 12 to get here. So here is my experience. I have had it 3 days and worked on it constantly. Before and after

[/URL]
[/URL]

in addition to what you can see I have opened up the gas ports, smoothed the bolt and other spots that needed it and adjusted the 5rd mags a little bit. I initially broke the completely stock gun in with 50 rds of high brass and then cleaned it. After that and the other work it now runs reliably on Winchester AA shells and hotter loads. It still needs work for cheap federal bulk pack ammo. And I think the extractor needs a stiffer spring AS others have already mentioned, that's next on the list AS well as a sight rail on top of the receiver. Over all I am really enjoy this gun and really just consider it a toy!

Last edited by rogers; 09-10-2017 at 03:35 PM.
rogers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:38 PM   #186
KC913

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogers View Post
First off thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread. I enjoyed reading it and learning from others experiences while waiting on my SAS 12 to get here. So here is my experience. I have had it 3 days and worked on it constantly. Before and after

in addition to what you can see I have opened up the gas ports, smoothed the bolt and other spots that needed it and adjusted the 5rd mags a little bit. I initially broke the completely stock gun in with 50 rds of high brass and then cleaned it. After that and the other work it now runs reliably on Winchester AA shells and hotter loads. It still needs work for cheap federal bulk pack ammo. And I think the extractor needs a stiffer spring AS others have already mentioned, that's next on the list AS well as a sight rail on top of the receiver. Over all I am really enjoy this gun and really just consider it a toy!
What thread size did you use, and did you have to turn the barrel down before threading, or just shave off the rib section? Looks like maybe m22 x .75. I have a Poly-Choke sitting in my safe that I've been thinking about throwing on mine, if the barrel is the right diameter to thread it.

Last edited by KC913; 09-10-2017 at 04:48 PM.
KC913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:34 PM   #187
rogers

Yes it is m22x.75. I used an old die I had left over from working on my saiga shotguns. All I did was grind the rib down smooth then threaded it. The barrel is a slightly smaller diameter than a saiga barrel. The SAS barrel measures. 853 diameter and the barrel on my old saiga, the gun the Polly choke I used was designed for, measured .883. The threads turn out a little undersized and loose but I couldn't strip them out with hand pressure, so I put some loc-tite on it and it has been tight for about 50 rds so far so I think it is fine. I practiced on the barrel section that I cut off first which was good because I messed it up the first time and got the threads crooked. You have to be very careful, and check the square of the threads with the barrel about every round of cut threads. It's funny my Polly choke was just sitting in my safe collecting dust as well! By the way thanks for sharing your success with the mossberg stock I liked it so much I had to do it.

Last edited by rogers; 09-10-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:25 PM   #188
flejl

AKaholic #: 306

Looks great!
flejl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:35 PM   #189
rogers

Thanks.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:43 PM   #190
KC913

Quote:
Yes it is m22x.75. I used an old die I had left over from working on my saiga shotguns. All I did was grind the rib down smooth then threaded it. The barrel is a slightly smaller diameter than a saiga barrel. The SAS barrel measures. 853 diameter and the barrel on my old saiga, the gun the Polly choke I used was designed for, measured .883. The threads turn out a little undersized and loose but I couldn't strip them out with hand pressure, so I put some loc-tite on it and it has been tight for about 50 rds so far so I think it is fine. I practiced on the barrel section that I cut off first which was good because I messed it up the first time and got the threads crooked. You have to be very careful, and check the square of the threads with the barrel about every round of cut threads. It's funny my Polly choke was just sitting in my safe collecting dust as well! By the way thanks for sharing your success with the mossberg stock I liked it so much I had to do it.
Very cool. Thanks for sharing the info! I was wondering if my Saiga 12 die and tat would work on this as well. I will get around to it as time permits. Looking good.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:19 AM   #191
rogers

Thanks. I really think this is a decent cheap shotgun. I have no idea how long it will last but I have about 200 rds through it so far and no signs of failure. I just wish the mags were better and held more rds. I hope ccspecs decides to make some 8 rounders with a little more curve to them.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:13 PM   #192
rogers

I got some more parts in today. Nothing fancy just a sight rail and heat shield for a mossberg 500. Just drilled and tapped the receiver for the rail and it fit nicely. The heat shield required the rail on the barrel to be removed and slight material removal from the handgaurd. All that is left is to weld on some sights or put a red dot on the rail. Or both. I haven't decided. Now I just need to see how many rds it takes to break it.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:24 AM   #193
KC913

Quote:
I got some more parts in today. Nothing fancy just a sight rail and heat shield for a mossberg 500. Just drilled and tapped the receiver for the rail and it fit nicely. The heat shield required the rail on the barrel to be removed and slight material removal from the handgaurd. All that is left is to weld on some sights or put a red dot on the rail. Or both. I haven't decided. Now I just need to see how many rds it takes to break it.
Very nice. I just installed a rail on the bottom of the forend / handguard this evening to use a vertical grip or other tacticool stuff. Had to file the square nuts down slightly for clearance and it functions great. Next step was going to be an optic rail like the one you installed and threading the barrel. Not much more I want to do to this one. It's a great gun to tinker with and try stuff on. Will get more photos and a build video up soon.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:19 AM   #194
rogers

That looks great! What kind/length rail is It?
Old 09-13-2017, 10:00 AM   #195
KC913

Quote:
That looks great! What kind/length rail is It?
Thanks. Search ebay for: Long Picatinny Rail Weaver 22 Slots 260mm 20mm DIY For Rifle Scope w/Screws

It was only $10.99. I went to Ace Hardware and grabbed a few 10-32 x 3/8" screws and a couple of different types of nuts for another ~$2.00 to attach it, rather than using the tiny screws it comes with. You will need the smallest, low profile-est nuts you can find, if you attach it like the photos show. I may re-attach it using counter-sunk screws from the inside out to avoid any possibility of the nuts coming loose and jamming the action inside of the handguard. There is almost no clearance in there. Very tight space. You could also remove a slight amount of material inside of the handguard for nuts to sit down into and maybe epoxy them in place. This may end up being what I do, to keep the clean look it currently has. It functions fine right now, though.

Last edited by KC913; 09-13-2017 at 10:06 AM.
KC913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:26 PM   #196
rogers

Does anybody know if there are any differences in the 24" and 26" barrel versions other than the barrel lengths. I am thinking about getting a 2nd one and not sure which way to go. I will probably get brown furniture this time either way. Before cutting down the 26" gun I have now it actually shot clays very well with 7.5 Winchester AAs.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:14 PM   #197
mac_tek

Quote:
Does anybody know if there are any differences in the 24" and 26" barrel versions other than the barrel lengths. I am thinking about getting a 2nd one and not sure which way to go. I will probably get brown furniture this time either way. Before cutting down the 26" gun I have now it actually shot clays very well with 7.5 Winchester AAs.

I apologize for the delay as I wanted to get back with you sooner on this. (Wife in hospital & work kicking my @$$) I just took apart a friends and noticed no real changes from 24" to 26" other than the cosmoline appears to be "fresh" rather than old and looking baked on like the 24".

Hope it helps
Old 09-16-2017, 06:05 PM   #198
rogers

Thanks for the info. The cosmoline wasn't that bad on my 26" gun either so I will probably just get another one of those the next time they run free shipping. Just hope they still have some then.

I have a new range report today. I have about 300 rounds through my shotgun and the reliability is definitely getting better. I shot a 25rd box of 1 1/8 oz 1300 fps Winchester AAs and had ZERO malfunctions! I used the same 5 rd mag the whole box just to rule that variable out if I did have any and only loaded 5 rds in the mag each time even though I have switched the followers out so they will hold 6rds. I am becoming more impressed with this thing. It's just a cheap Chinese shotgun.... but it sure is a fun gun to tinker with. On a side note it still shoots skeet very well with the 19" barrel and adjustable Polly choke.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:40 AM   #199
DevJames

AKaholic #: 193787

Slugs and Buckshoot a no no on these?

<---has zero experience messing with auto shotguns.
DevJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:34 AM   #200
rogers

Slugs and buckshot are fine to shoot out of these. The barrel is chrome lined so I think you would be fine to shoot anything including steel shot, the only limitation is the fact that it only shoots 2 3/4" shells.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:21 PM   #201
KC913

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJames View Post
Slugs and Buckshoot a no no on these?

<---has zero experience messing with auto shotguns.
Slugs and Buckshot are actually what they want you to shoot out of these. Higher power stuff is what they're made for.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:21 AM   #202
destrux
Veteran Member

Quote:

How did you remove the vent rib? Desolder it or just grind it off? I like that heat shield.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:19 PM   #203
rogers

Thanks, I used an angle grinder with a cutting disc first to remove the top part of the rail, then a bench grinder to remove the bottom part of the rail slowly as not to heat it up much, then I used a Dremel with a sanding wheel to smooth it out. I could tell just where to stop grinding when the brass that was used to braze the rail to the barrel would appear gold in color. It actually turned out much better than I thought it would. But it really didn't matter since I covered it up with the heat shield. For some reason I just can't keep my hands off the barrel when it gets hot so I needed it. Lol
Old 09-19-2017, 12:17 AM   #204
CaptBlatGat

AKaholic #: 183247

Anyone with a 26" barrel want to do a straight trade for a 24 incher? Bought mine before there was the option and would prefer the longer barrel.
CaptBlatGat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:41 AM   #205
lpillc

AKaholic #: 4921

Can anyone tell me how much does this gun weight. Thanks.
lpillc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:54 PM   #206
TKacook

AKaholic #: 194019

I too have learned alot from this thread. I ordered mine back in June. First range trip was not good as the high brass Monarch shells I purchased were too long for the action to eject properly.

I spent a bunch of time slicking up the internals and last time out, it worked much better.

I figured out the Mossberg stock option and cut the barrel down to 19" as that's where the rib changed.

Here's a picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAS12-small.jpg (27.3 KB, 52 views)
TKacook is offline   Reply With Quote