Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Handgun Forums > General Handgun Discussion

Notices

Old 03-11-2018, 02:28 PM   #1
flejl

AKaholic #: 306
Default Anyone Using Lasers?

In the past 6 months I have added laser sights to two of my pistols to help my old eyes out, so I was wondering who else may be using them and why.

The two pistols I have added lasers to are my SAR K2 45 using a rail mount laser and my Zenith (Tisa) M45 with a LaserLyte 1911 grip/trainer.

Both are red lasers.
flejl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:46 PM   #2
dwcopple
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171373

Nope
dwcopple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:53 PM   #3
chillypepper

AKaholic #: 176015

I have a old set of ctc grips on my 1911-22. Don't really help all that much all the time. In odd light they are great. bright daylight not so much. Do help on overcast days and on those occasions i'll shoot limited and open class at the same shoot by turning it on. I get to shoot that much more is really about it.

Oh and teasing the hellouta the cat. It's good for that too.
chillypepper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:33 PM   #4
smithy72
Contributor

AKaholic #: 187266

Have a C/T Railmaster on an AR, have a S&W 640 I bought with C/T grips on it
they are on a shelf off gun. Found them to large for pocket carry .
Considering one for a dedicated car gun. Think if your vison is crappy without
glasses like mine is and or need to use the gun in less than ideal position its
a valid tool to have in your box. As long as your buying quality products its worth while.
smithy72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:51 PM   #5
Clark

AKaholic #: 2752

I am carrying a pistol with laser right now.
Ruger LCP
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:16 AM   #6
Rev06
Titanium Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 185972

I have one on my HD shotgun as it came bundled w the flashlite I use w it. I think it would be extremely useful and or mandatory on something like the new Shockwave shotguns tha are pistol grip only
Old 03-13-2018, 07:31 AM   #7
nofreetime
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 180281

I've 8 pistols equipped with them all but one is a CT. Also 7 rifles equipped with lasers 3 are CT IR Railmasters, 3 CT railmasters visable red and one green in a Streamlight tlr2g. My father who's ex SF turned me onto CT laser grips years ago and now they go on just about every pistol.
nofreetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:43 AM   #8
Idratherbapickle
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 193120

via GIPHY

Idratherbapickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #9
burninglegs
Where we go one we go all

AKaholic #: 183372

burninglegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:21 AM   #10
Limited04
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183528

I always have found them to be distracting and make me over think when aiming because you try and keep the laser steady on a mark the size of a dime.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #11
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

AKaholic #: 5008

Yes, have a few Crimson Trace, not because I need it, because I LIKE IT
Every pistol would have one if I could get them cheaper in bulk at Costco....lol

Plus the wife can keep her defense pistol tucked in to her bosom and not wobble as much under duress
IDGAF what super dooper ninja logic on the Internet says

Have them on a lot of rifles as well for certain purposes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idratherbapickle View Post
Lmfao.....

Quote:
Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort. John F Kennedy 1961
Aceshigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:39 PM   #12
dwcopple
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171373

dwcopple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:56 PM   #13
WinterWar
Cpl, FDF reserve

AKaholic #: 190784

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited04 View Post
I always have found them to be distracting and make me over think when aiming because you try and keep the laser steady on a mark the size of a dime.
Same thing, although for me the main problem was when I was practicing shooting fast doubletaps. I spent way more time aiming with laser than without one, always sort of trying to find the laser first and then aiming it at the target. I had green laser on my Shield40, took it off after couple of months because of that problem.

Finland 100 years 12/6/2017
WinterWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:10 PM   #14
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

AKaholic #: 5008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited04 View Post
For range sessions, I don't use it for EXACTLY that reason......

However, for defensive purposes, it will be close range, and easy ID to hit center of mass of a man

Quote:
Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort. John F Kennedy 1961
Aceshigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:38 PM   #15
WinterWar
Cpl, FDF reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
For range sessions, I don't use it for EXACTLY that reason......

However, for defensive purposes, it will be close range, and easy ID to hit center of mass of a man
You know I was thinking about that when I took the laser of my Shield. The way I thought about it is that if you are so close that you really can't raise the gun to use the sights, then the laser is not needed since you can just as well just point your gun, pull the trigger and you will hit the target.

I was practicing close range hits without aiming, both with handguns and also my AKs.I noticed that after some practice I was able to hit pretty small areas with for instance with my AK without using the sightpicture, "instinct"shooting.That was pretty effing fun and surprising to see the results.

I can see the benefits of lasers, but for me the problem is that I don't know how to use them...Concentrating too much on that laser and not fast enough shooting the target.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:56 PM   #16
jm951

AKaholic #: 3690

I've found that bullets work much better out of my gun.
jm951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:47 AM   #17
GuzziMike
DEPLORABLE

AKaholic #: 159432

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWar View Post
Same thing, although for me the main problem was when I was practicing shooting fast doubletaps. I spent way more time aiming with laser than without one, always sort of trying to find the laser first and then aiming it at the target. I had green laser on my Shield40, took it off after couple of months because of that problem.

Same here. Had a green Laser on my Sig SP2022 for a few months, and then took it off.

I found that I was faster on target without the Laser.

-

PALMS 7.62-39: Though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no evil, for I wield a mighty AK, and I'm Reckoning to Go Medieval on thy Marxist Demons

GuzziMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:08 AM   #18
praxidike
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 191101

I have a laser on my Shield. See the dot, pull the trigger. Nothing to over think, and it's as simple as that...

For defensive purposes, I can point and shoot if the threat is very close, and neither the laser or sites will be used. If I have time, I can use my sights, and the laser will not be used. If I'm firing from a weird angle and/or where I can not align my face behind the sights, my laser will be utilized. It may not be all that useful or fast when shooting at inanimate targets that don't shoot back. It may not be better than using sights when bullets aren't coming back at you, and you can stick your head out without fear of being shot. With that said, there are situations where one method maybe more helpful than others... Just because the laser is on the gun doesn't mean you HAVE TO use it all the time and in ever situation....

Last edited by praxidike; 03-14-2018 at 05:22 AM.
praxidike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:42 AM   #19
oldflyer

AKaholic #: 175534

I have CT grips on a Kimber Micro 9 that came with the gun. For rough targeting at bad breath distances, it works fine. Anything beyond that, I use the sights.
oldflyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:00 AM   #20
flejl

AKaholic #: 306

The great thing about this conversation is there really are no wrong answers.

What I have found is I adjust the laser to show just above the front sight post in my "sight picture" at the 5-7 yard distance I would expect in a self defense situation.

Doing this allows me to validate the impact point of the round to the steel sights and laser. What I have found is by doing this, my old eyes are capable of some very tight groups with the limited amount of "live fire" time I get each month.

My primary targeting method practiced is steel sights first, then laser if needed. When I practice, I practice both methods so both come natural and do not require thought to execute.

Last edited by flejl; 03-14-2018 at 02:15 PM.
flejl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #21
WinterWar
Cpl, FDF reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxidike View Post
I have a laser on my Shield. See the dot, pull the trigger. Nothing to over think, and it's as simple as that...
Yes, in theory..In reality my brain is not functioning like that, I'm "overthinking". I have heard from some other shooters also that they have the same problem with lasers. I'm much better off with a weaponlight, it gives me general direction and my brain is not "overthinking" and following it like laser, I can be very fast with a weaponlight. Not with laser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxidike View Post
... Just because the laser is on the gun doesn't mean you HAVE TO use it all the time and in ever situation....
At least the laser I had on my Shield was really difficult not to turn on, the switch was (of course..) placed so that when you gripped the gun it switched the laser on. Was quite awkward grip if I tried to shoot it without touching the switch.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:17 AM   #22
sboone
MAK Attacker

AKaholic #: 179556

I have crimson trace grips on my sig 1911 when it was my HD gun in San Diego. Never really used them, not at the range not really ever. They could be useful in low light but now I mostly see it as a waste of money, but it’s a pretty neat waste of money and I do like how they feel on the gun

“People of Wal-Mart”- the most dangerous large game in North America

When you speak and spread the truth you become a point of light in darkest day and darkest night
sboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:25 PM   #23
praxidike
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 191101

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWar View Post
At least the laser I had on my Shield was really difficult not to turn on, the switch was (of course..) placed so that when you gripped the gun it switched the laser on. Was quite awkward grip if I tried to shoot it without touching the switch.
Yea but even if it is actuated, you can still point and shoot or just focus on your sights instead of looking for the dot.
praxidike is online now   Reply With Quote